Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

The solar feed in tarrif with SSE is 14cent. Will that price be going up in line with the price hikes? I asked a few weeks back but the lady on the phone didn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

you could try ask the CRU...... 🤔🙄😭

< insert crystal ball gif here >

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Only airtricity can answer that. No communication on it so far.

They can set the FiT to any value they like all the way down to 0c. Whether it goes up/down in step with the standard import rates is also up to each provider. The regulator does not dictate it.

Im hearing that BordGais are now saying that they wont be paying FiT until Feb 2023!! The regulator needs to start cracking a whip here. Ridiculous stuff.

Its in law since Feb 2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I had one of the Bord Gais lads cold calling me on my doorway to move to them. Normally they annoy the bejasus out of me, but this lad was easy enough going once I told him I just moved to Energia (so no sale no pushing)

Anyway, he mentioned that they were doing the FIT payments once a year. Dunno how much value I'd put on that info, but that was what he was saying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Admin wise, doing something once a year is much easier and cheaper for them of course. Trying to do monthly / quarterly adds way more work. And the overhead of having customers (us) debate the numbers. In theory for any company, reducing the cost of doing business means they can charge less. So for sure the industry would want to pay yearly. Banks do the same with interest for the cents we get per year if an account makes money on interest. Companies are the same with profits on shares.

And I’d be ok with that. Would prefer it's outside the summer when the bills are higher. IE, don’t wanna get the credit in summer when I’m not buying units. They are obliged to refund us if we move provider but would be effort on our part to chase it of course. Often needs a ‘chase’ for the credit when leaving a provider in my experience.  

I think if you leave BG as a customer they will pay you your credit shortly after you leave, once you pay your final bill first!

Its still bad form that they keep you waiting for your FiT.

100% it's bad form that FIT payments are going on the long finger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Totally mate - though I am like you and if they lobbed it onto my Feb bill, that would be ok for me as it's usually the expensive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Yep I was on the phone to Bord Gais and they confirmed payment will be once per year. Also I had to register for microgeneration which I didn't realise needed to be done. I did that and got a confirmation email.

We are happy you have chosen our Microgen Export Plan offer. This offer pays you for the excess electricity you export to the electricity network.***

See our Microgeneration terms and conditions and Privacy notices here.

We’ll calculate your first Microgeneration tariff payment one year from your start date. You’ll receive your first payment as a credit on your first electricity bill after this. Subsequent credits will be applied every year thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

The start date is your date of registration I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

oh no doubt. WHy not let the providers make up arbitrary conditions, pay whenever they want , whatever they want to whoever they want... its not like the regulator gives a toss.

So what does that mean for someone say next year - who might be switching from a different provider that is already paying FIT to them? IF they choose to switch to Bord Gais - they wont get paid FIT cause they have to register for this Microgen Scheme as well?

What are the arbitrary conditions that we know of so far from differnet providers?

• EI requires an NC6 from the ESB (who never confirm wether they recieve it or not, you have to chase that)
    • Bord Gas requires you to register for their "Microgeneration Scheme" (and u might need the NC6 as well).

Im ok with the NC6 being the "rule" even though its badly managed , and also doesnt cover someone that later adds more panels - but at least its not a seperate scheme for each provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

To be honest I assume all providers require ESB to have received a NC6 especially for deemed fit. EI emailed existing customers where ESB had NC6 on file. On the flip side though I moved to Energia and waiting to see if I'll get an email about FIT from them?

Oh!! That's an interesting one you flagged. Basically, who passes the customer info to your new provider?? Anyones in the know on that?

Solar is very low % of homes. So do the new provider always request info from ESB when any customer moves to them? In which case likes of NC6 would get picked up so we'd be on the FIT list. And even if we were a prior customer before, and moving back now, do they check somehow as otherwise a new solar setup wouldn't appear on their records

Or do they take the info from the prior provider (and what if they don't pass all that info over like NC6 received)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Those T&C's imply that it goes back up to two years to claim the microgen payment (presumably no early than Feb '22 or your NC6 going in and you joining BGE (whichever is later?). And, having talked to their social media support previously, signing up for the microgen notices was not a requirement. So yet more mixed messages, how delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

ESB manage the meters and know who has or has not solar (via NC6) hence i would assume all info flow to/from them to the providers. So when i left EI I wouldn't be surprised that ESB are always in the loop and know who every ones provider is. Similar to when you change meter -- who does your provider inform to do the change - the ESB! Hence i assume when you switch provider its similar provider A lets ESB know they are taking over provision of MPRN #xxx. either they or ESB then inform your old provider to close off the old account. where this gets messy is if there is an issue with your account - happened to me with Gas when i moved to EI originally - for some reason the transfer was rejected! and thus I had EI for electric and my gas stayed with BordGais.

I sure if you look at the contract you have with your provider it will show what the connection is between the provider and ESB is and what details can be shared - I looked into this a few years back when lots of people tried to prevent replacement of backwards rotating meters! but don't remember now

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

I am with Electric Ireland and am in the process of leaving

I asked the question about payment for export, here was their response:

Your smart meter will export the number of units your are exporting back to us for calculation. There is no function on the smart meter to view what you are exporting. Your first credit will be applied as a credit on your electricity bill at the end of this year. As this has not happened yet, it is not quite clear how you would be credited if you were to leave before this. 

Once the first credit happens, if you were to leave, it would be applied as a credit on your last bill. If you leave before this, it would most likely be credited to you via EFT after the end of this year.

I'm moving to BGE but have no reply with having to manually opt into the micro-generation scheme. Waiting on a response from BGE but from what I see online they use a formula to calculate export. I wonder how this compares to real world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I imagine they would say their electricity generation has to be always on and available, so comes from more expensive sources compared to solar. Worth a try though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is no function on the smart meter to view what you are exporting

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Don't know why they say that as they clearly do allow you to see on the meter screen the total export

• Advertisement

On the EV plan with Energia and got the micro generation email there now, 18c as a credit in Autumn 2022

Confusing but is that response just badly worded maybe? We know it counts up the units exported on smart meters. But did that person mean you can't see the actual kw exporting in real-time? As in that solar is sending 695w back to grid at this very moment. Then a cloud passes and drop to 200W, cloud gone and up to Xkw....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No email here yet but my NC6 is only recently sent in.

Am looking forward to the deemed fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Could be that alright. Pinergy had said they receive exported units daily from Esb networks so assume will probably be safe for other suppliers too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Got mine a few days ago. I was speaking to them and they said they will start to add this to the bills from mid-October.

Just got my bill for a massive €60 for the last two months 🤣 so it will be welcome on the next which will have 80-90% import

Hopefully they make a loss on all of us on the EV tariff but who are we kidding, house always wins etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

But on the EV tariff it's deemed export, not actual export. Suits users like me who export probably less than 2kWh a day. Im still getting paid for , i believe,35% export

Yep, we are on D/N meters so deemed export regardless of actual export

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Indisnaak and they didn't know either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Let me tell you all a story 😁

I have a digital meter which shows day, night and 24 hour units. When I was going from 24 hour to D/N I was on the phone to ESBN and they were insisting that the physical meter had to be replaced even though I kept telling them it had night readings on it.

When the engineer called out, he just filled out a form to say the meter reader should take the D/N readings, and wrote some instructions in the meter cabinet on how to get the different readings

Not to be overly harsh to the folks at ESBN customer support, but they just answer phones and don't know anything about the meters themselves

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Seems ESB never receivced a NC6 for our install so looks like we will be missing any deemed export until this is rectified. Email sent to the PV intallers and awaiting an update. Assuming the FIT payment will only start when they receive the form and not when the install was done?

Looking at the SEAI application portal and all the docs that had been uploaded are now gone so no way of checking the details there.

Advertisement