Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallagher Premiership 2022-2023 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think oversight from the RFU is minimal to non existent.

A lot of Wasps fans seem to think that other investments have created the problems. Its worth noting that in a few years I looked at their accounts Wasps Income seemed to be very high and only a portion of it comes down to rugby. For comparison pre covid their income was 175% of Tigers for example.

In the last 4 years the average non playing, non coaching staff in Wasps was 145, 180, 193, 181 and I presume that the 2021 figure was only so low because of COVID. In 2018 and 2019 half the income came from conferences events and the hotel. I've no idea what % of the expenses came from those areas but a lot of the fans seem to blame the ancillary stuff with Wasps problems

Covid hit and income from Conferences, Hotels and Entertainment from 15 million in 2019 to 1 million in 2021. Sport income went from 15.6 million to 8.6 million while sponsorship and venue income remained relatively flat.

Worchester and their 13 companies will be a big one when it comes to oversight.

By the way when I say a year number above its the year ended june of that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

While the Worcester suspension may in theory only be temporary, presumably in practice they are gone for the season (at the very least) once they miss a couple of games, regardless of their financial situation.

Their fall will obviously have knock-on effects, for example, Gloucester were expecting income from a home game this weekend which now won't happen. Looking at the Worcester fixtures, I see they were due to go to Wasps on Christmas eve. Wasps were probably hoping for a big crowd that night given the time of year and away fans with only an hour to travel, that has to make things more difficult for them.

That's true. I suppose it depends on the timing of tv contracts. If Worchester's tv money will go to the other clubs now it might make up the difference.

Will clubs refund season ticket holders for the home game less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This is bizarre! Would the rfu not loan the warriors the money? I read there's an Irish interest in buying the team. At least a company from the states, with Irish executives.

I think this will happen and the franchise will resume but, these investors would want to get the best deal possible going forward. They will bide their time.

Welsh sides going to the premiership? Why? They'd be bottom feeders or middle of the pack! How would they be permitted to just waltz away from the urc?

The owners were being awkward.

Going into administration meant suspension.

I think that (I will admit that I'm talking out my ass) that certain asset stripping transactions could legally escape scrutiny if going to administration was delayed.

Once the company went into administration they lost a lot of control.

One of the interested parties in buying the club has said that they would only buy the club if it went into administration.

I think the welsh is a nothing story. It would be breaching urc participation agreements. The urc would be seeing them if they tried.

• Advertisement

It's reported that by the BBC that the cancellation will cost Gloucester about £400,000.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

According to a summary of an appearance he made on a Nick Easter Podcast that I read; the consortium are offering 17.5 million to be invested into the club. The consortium want all assets (stadium, car park, fanzone, training pitches etc).

The old owners get nothing when they are shown the door.

Very ambitious. Not sure the old owners will agree. They may not get a say though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

A friend of mine payed £50 for a ticket to see Bath vs Wasps and I think that was one of the cheaper ones. So game in England is obviously facing financial challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Matthew Carley has the weirdest interpretation of the breakdown I have ever seen. Saracens just scored a try and twice in the build up, not only did the Leicester 7 get his hand on the ball. He picked it up off the ground and had it 12 inches off the ground and the the Saracens scrumhalf was allowed wrestle it back off him. It’s like Jackals don’t exist at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bath are genuinely shocking. They have been f*cking blessed there's no relegation this year or the next.

But it just so happens that there is a new interesting aspect to the bottom of the table this season - how long will it take Bath to pass Worcester who are currently stuck on 5 points.

No need to swear but they did score 6 tries away from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I haven't seen the incident, but it must be remembered that the jackal penalty is not given to the player lifting the ball, but against the player on them ground holding on. So in this case did the seven take it off the tackled player on the ground and the scrum half, on his feet, simply wrest it off him? If so, play on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don’t think the player on the ground had fully released it on either occasion. Certainly not to the point that they weren’t interfering with the ball being lifted. They may not have been holding on but a lot of refs give penalties simply for getting hands on the ball in similar situations. If Carley was interpreting that the ball was released on the ground. It was to say the least a very generous interpretation of what that means.

5 try quins fluctuate between comprehensively outplaying the error-prone Saints (4 tries) and playing garbage (sometimes at the same time!) - in the end they only manage a 6 point win! FT 35 - 29.

Entertainment level was good, the quality of the rugby was extremely mixed.

They gave away a tbp within 30 minutes and Irish just took the foot off the pedal at that stage. Anything that happened in the second half was meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

Also: f*ck.

Because I'm an adult and adults can swear when it's appropriate. A good swearword can accentuate what you say in a good way.

• Advertisement

Children can swear too so it is not an adult thing. You can accentuate what you say without swearing and swearing is never good or appropriate.

It seems to be a recurring theme in the Premiership that teams run up a big lead in the first half but ship a lot of points in the second half, often making the final result close when it should have been anything but. Quins Northampton is another example this weekend and Exeter Quins and Bristol Irish the previous weekend.

Are teams saving themselves and happy to give up bonus points when they are confident of winning or do they actually capitulate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Agreed, the use of bad language in todays society is just fuckling terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I watched the build up to Tigers and Sarries and the BT commentators (monye i think - who is normally very balanced) said that Farrell would be up against pollard at some stage today and that the Gallerger premiership never fails to deliver for its fans.

I wonder what the glaws fans who were watching would have made of that!!!

Van Graan's Bath is the first club to indulge in a bit of asset stripping!

Bath are due to announce the loan signings of four players from Worcester Warriors, including the England internationals Ted Hill and Ollie Lawrence. Worcester’s suspension from the Gallagher Premiership and the failure of the club’s owners to pay their staff has left players looking for opportunities elsewhere and Bath, without a win in their first four games of the season, are recruiting Hill, the flanker, Lawrence, the centre, the Russia prop Valery Morozov and the Australian flanker Fergus Lee-Warner.

Bath have been beset by injuries in the opening weeks: Charlie Ewels, the England lock, could miss the whole season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee while on international duty with England in Australia in July. Sam Underhill has been ruled out for the next two months with a shoulder injury, while Josh McNally and GJ van Velze are also absent after dislocating their shoulders. Morozov, who left Bath for Worcester in the summer, returns to the Recreation Ground as cover for Beno Obano, the loose-head prop, who has recently had surgery on his knee. Lawrence will add to the options in a Bath back division depleted by injuries to the likes of Tom de Glanville, Will Muir, Ben Spencer and Jordan Venter.

I presume there is some sort of injury joker loophole to do that within salary cap?

Wrfc players limited isn't protected by the administration and is facing a winding up hearing on Thursday.

All player contracts with Worchester will be gone then.

It's hard to see the future for Worchester Warriors.

Demote into the championship for next season, build a team of academy players and loan development prospects and to win promotion while building a real team for the following season.

Your beliefs aren't really of much interest to me. And accessible online dictionaries have superseded the need for you to mount your IKEA pulpit and provide definitions to plebs like me. My comment was tongue in cheek (that's upper cheek, incidentally) and didn't require a pontificating sermon.

My understanding is that the salary of the injured player is removed from the cap calculation thereby allowing the affected club to recruit a joker at the same salary level. Of course the club must be able to afford to pay both players' salaries and Bath are fortunate in that Bruce Craig is a very wealthy man!

• Advertisement

Warriors gone - in 22 seconds.

Worcester Warriors expect to be suspended from the Gallagher Premiership for the rest of the season and relegated to the RFU Championship after the company that pays the club’s employees was liquidated in a 22-second court hearing today. Judge Nicholas Briggs made an order winding up WRFC Players Ltd, which was being pursued by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill in the region of £6 million.

“This is the darkest day for English rugby,” Steve Diamond, the Worcester director of rugby, said. “We thought we could turn the tanker around but it’s ended up like the Titanic, sadly. The ship has sunk, the captains are nowhere to be seen. The RFU/PRL [Premiership Rugby] band played in the background. There are a privileged few who have jobs.”

Worcester fear that the next step will be for their status as one of England’s 13 elite clubs to be “extinguished” and their central share in the league bought by the other Premiership clubs. The league is weighing up whether to buy Worcester’s so-called P share for £9.8 million, with the money going to repay some of the club’s £15 million debt to the government.

Without a P share, Worcester would have no access to annual central funding of about £4 million. The academy, the women’s team and the community work would all be wound up. Championship clubs receive funding of £159,000, half of which comes from the RFU and half from Premiership Rugby.

Advertisement