Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

No what I meant was the pedestrian light is coming on even when there are no pedestrians. It should only come on when the button has been pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Fair enough. No argument there but turning right at North Gate bridge brings you up Shannon St. just makes no sense if, say, that woman wants to go to Montenotte. I’m just sympathetic to her tbh. If there’s a wider strategy put the proper infrastructure in place and then enforce it. If people cant see the sense in a plan they’ll ignore it, and the Gardai won’t bother to enforce it. I was standing on the Bridge trying to figure out how to get from Boreenmana Road to Mallow. I’ve decided to go down Lower Glanmire rd and take the North Link. But it’s a bit counterintuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You go right at Parnell place, left over Brian Boru bridge and left along the north quays. Simple.

It's not coming on anywhere near every 30 seconds, that's just a ridiculous exaggeration.

And this is not the cause of traffic build up.

But yes, that particular scenario of picking someone up on Merchant's Quay is problematic, all right.

The answer would be to pick that person up elsewhere, perhaps Parnell Place?

I mean you can't legally pick up someone on Patrick's Street between 3 and 6.30. You'd just need to collect elsewhere. It's just a fact that you cannot drive your car anywhere you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Missed that but about left on Brian Boru bridge. That makes sense. Thanks.

Do you drive through it every morning? I can video it for you if you like. It shouldn’t be coming on without being pressed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Ah, didn’t know buses were permitted. That would explain it. I was thinking it was a bit brazen.

You won't video anything to evidence your every 30 seconds claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Seaandwind

Traffic is nuts the last few weeks. On Thursday it took me over 1hr 15 mins to get from Blackpool to Douglas. My commute is one that cannot be done by public transport. Lanes blocked, double parking, yellow boxes filled. Breaking red lights at junctions is pretty standard too.

On Friday I went in to the city again and it was consternation by Heineken. Stand still. Gave up on my plans. Made an escape out of the city and went the Tunnel way which was surprisingly much faster than usual.

It is hard to judge it these days, on the other hand it took me 40 minutes to go from Douglas to the tunnel on Friday morning due to a lane closure there. Ridiculous times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Traffic around Bishopstown has been downright insane the last couple of weeks. It’s so backed up along the Bishopstown road that all approaches in every direction get backed up for miles, and then desperate drivers block access to lanes on the Bishopstown roundabout as they attempt to make progress. It holds up traffic going in every direction that approach from the N71.

It’s new for me to drive in that direction so I don’t know whether this is an anomaly as a result of colleges going back, or just standard for Bishopstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

Unreal. Not a single pedestrian and the lights going every 18 seconds I counted. Madness. Fair play to you for recording it.

Send it to a councillor, their email addresses are on the city hall website I think.

Traffic is hairy alright. Took me 1.15 hrs to drop a couple of kids from Boreenmanna Rd to the travel lodge on Kinsale road roundabout and get back to Boreenmanna on Friday afternoon. Place was like a car park.

It took me a while to figure out how to get out the limerick road from town some morning last week as well. I know the roads have changed but the signage is confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

This is by design. I presume they are aping the situation in Dublin where anti-car council officials quite openly exploited Covid to introduce similar light cycles on the spurious grounds of "social distancing" and similar, but really just to frustrate motorists. I imagine the Cork officials would be quite proud of the video!

The last thing we should want to do is emulate Dublins policy. The air quality is even worse than ours. It’s not reasonable to say they want to reduce emissions and at the same time have a sequence like this that exponentially increases car emissions.

Despite many public pronouncements, these people could'nt give a toss about emissions, public transport or anything else other than a fig leaf for their agenda which is as below - witness the much vaunted BusConnects programme which actually features more cycle lanes than bus lanes.

1. Punish motorists.

2. More cycle lanes, and God forbid they not be 100% perfect.

3. Go to 1.

These people genuinely believe that making motorists sit in traffic will engender in them a road to Damascus moment and they'll hop out of their cars and onto a bike.

Yes, you're right.

Another example is the removal of all the mature trees on boreenmana road to replace it with a bus lane. We know international best practice is to use trees in cities to create shade, reduce noise pollution, improve the appearance of the city, improve air quality, habitats for wildlife etc. And mature trees are not equivalent to saplings, so should be protected. I am 100% sure if they had "keep existing trees" as a requirement, the plan would not remove them, it would be part of the traffic separation.

And don't get me started on the stinking latrines that are the electronic trees.

It would be awful if we had a proper functioning public transport system, then people couldn't use the excuse of there not being suitable public transport for going absolutely everywhere in their cars,irrespective of need or options.

Funny, I don't hear any weeping or any talk at all from all these tree lovers when a new road is built but as soon as a single tree is removed in a measure that may disrupt car use in any way, it all about the trees and their environmental benefits!

It rings very false to my ears, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Frankly, public transport that runs on main roads is never going to be better than driving. If I were to take the bus to work, it would take far longer as I'd need to travel to the bus stop, wait for the bus, get slowed down by all the stopping, and then the bus will get caught in all the same traffic that I would in my car. All the while, being crammed in to a hot, sweaty tube where I may have to stand or sit uncomfortably close to a stranger and I have no control over anything. Looking at google maps right now, it's a 29 minute drive from my home to my office, but would take between 1hr 10m to 1hr 50m on the bus to make the same journey. The best route involves 35 minutes of walking alone, each way.

If I could at least use a faster mode of transport, like a subway system, where I could change trains without much delay or having to stand in the lashing rain for ages, then I'd be much more likely to consider public transport, as I'm sure many would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

This attitude baffles me.

More people on bikes = fewer people sitting in traffic = less traffic.

Not everyone can cycle to work - that's completely fine. But if you are in a car every morning, the one thing you should be all for is more people cycling because then there will be fewer people in cars to hold you up.

It's not a car vs. bike thing.

Post edited by Schorpio on

Obviously, it depends on your location and your destination, but for me, right now, I'm the opposite.

I'm travelling from the city centre to Bishopstown at the moment. I love getting the bus. I'm way less stressed and relaxed. I'm not worried about traffic (also, bus lanes mean that busses do usually get through traffic faster). It probably does take a bit longer but I really don't mind.

I get a short walk in the morning and if it's fine and I have time, I can choose to walk home.

For me it's so much better than sitting in my car getting frustrated and angry.

Bus with a Leap card is cheap, now, too.

I'm genuinely enjoying using public transport. Yes, it could be way better, but it's not all bad.

You've misinterpreted me. I'm not against cycling at all - it's a great option for some people (albeit not nearly as many as some think).

Anyway, traffic. Yesterday North Mall to Eastgate, Little Island at 4pm - 35 minutes (~20 minutes delays). This morning Cobh to North Mall 8am 67 minutes (~35 minutes delays). Fantastic stuff!🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,269 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Large amounts of trees and wetland areas were cleared/filled in to facilitate the Dunkettle interchange. Nobody gave a shite.

Plenty of people gave a shite, and what's worse, as usual, the work has been done there multiple times, causing even more disruption and repeating the cost. Lose lose. The original plans had that interchange, instead they build the giant signalised roundabout bottleneck we all spent time on. Then, what is it, 20 years later, dig it all up again after the ground has started to recover, and do what was on the original plan.

I'd love to see more frequent buses on the roads we have in the short term, while we wait for these enormous capital projects. My local bus went from frequency of 6 to 8 per hour in 2019 to once an hour now. A bus not showing up when there's another one in 8 minutes isn't the end of the world. It's a different story if the next one is an hour later. It's hardly a surprise the traffic increases when the service drops off. We went from a 2 car family to a 1 car family when we were able to use the bus. Service isn't reliable for us anymore so we're considering getting a second car again.

On roads, I honestly can't grasp why in other countries we are well able to cycle/bus beside or around an existing tree, but in Ireland it's some kind of insurmountable obstacle, only resolved by a chainsaw and a bulldozer. I get that there are standards, but there should also be flexibility. We should value the assets we have (whatever they are, built heritage like old walls or buildings, social spaces, trees etc). It takes decades or centuries for those to exist. We could challenge our designing engineers to be sympathetic to what we already value when developing the plans. The italians have managed to maintain large parts of the Via Appia since 300BC, it's still the longest piece of straight road in europe as far as I know. Think of the marina for example. hundreds of years of pedestrian usage there, and they are planning to run a concrete bridge full of HGVs over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Traffic is bad all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Delighted to hear this, loads of pedestrian buttons across the city are broken and there's no way for pedestrians to get safely across. They absolutely need to be part of the timed cycle. Same as no vehicle lights should be sensor only, they break all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I see this happening with vehicle lights every day, what's the issue?

Advertisement