Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Woman killed as result of shelling in Golovchyno village of Belgorod region

another senseless killing!

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Obviously the NATO weapons have made a huge difference to Ukraine's ability to defend its territory, but quite a bit of that was already in the country when Russia first fully invaded. Russia was getting its nose bloodied in the opening days. And the process of arming and training Ukraine forces had been ongoing pretty much since 2014, as is my understanding. So, for Russia to apparently have little idea of A) what the Ukrainians had at their disposal, and B) if Ukrainians were willing to fight and C) the decrepitude of its own armed forces - all of that has to add up as being the most spectacular intelligence failure of this century. Even worse when you consider that Ukraine is right next door. Of all the country's you'd think Russia would have riddled with intelligence agents, Ukraine would have to be up at the top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's hard to do some stuff when using an Xbox controller. Here's a little trick you might like to try in future - copy some germane bits of the text and paste it into a search engine and it will find the original source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

It'll be interesting to read a proper history of all this stuff further down the road assuming we evade nuclear Armageddon, and just who did what behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

He spends far too much time on social media. He took a very public turn to the alt-right there for a bit when some rape allegation surfaced. The alt-right ecosystem is full of Russian influence much like the far left so he probably still believes the Russia/Putin Stronk memes. He should really stick to Tesla and Space X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Zelensky was exceedingly diplomatic in his response, most likely in recognition of how extremely useful starlink has proven to be.

It should be readily apparent by now that Elon Musk's actions can usually be defined, in terms of motivation, by what's good for his ego or net worth. In this case it's likely the latter and he's just trying to distract form Tesla's share price being evicerated today by almost -9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah it's called total and complete narcissism, they have given up on that little voice of self doubt that's keeps us all from total calamity and forces us to be self critical and improve ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

4 more HIMARS to Ukraine, which will bring the total to 20.

18 more are part of a longer-term plan.

US and Ukraine thinking short and long-term here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Elon Musk wanted this

But instead got this

So he needed a distraction. What a cnut.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

No I think the Americans British and 5 eyes knew exactly how bad a shape the russians were in. Again you cant have huge military budgets if you have no peer enemy. It's simple really if you think about it. I mean look at the nuke figures the USA and russia are supposed to have. I wager neither side has that amount. I mean think about it your only real enemy is russia when it comes to nukes. russia is big ofc but you would not need 1000s of warheads to cripple it. Even in the soviet union everything was over hyped and guarded the west new very little even population was horribly overestimated. russia is smoke an mirrors USA happy to play along for budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

The weapons have made a big difference but you still need motivated people to wield them. Before Putin's "3-day war" started I saw a few news reports from Ukraine showing preparations that were being made, specifically around training. Some of the trainees were interviewed and you had web designers and marketing people spending their free time doing weapons and field training taught by army regulars. While that didn't say anything about the state of the Russian army, it certainly suggested that the Ukrainians were motivated, and motivation makes a massive difference.

From the early days of this war, the similarity between the Ukrainians in 2022 and the Finns in 1939 is striking. Smaller army, less well-armed (at first), but highly motivated and using clever tactics to frustrate a larger enemy that was struggling to adapt.

During Round 2 aka the Continuation War in 1941, the Finns attacked the Russians simultaneously with Operation Barbarossa. Much to Hitler's chagrin, however, the Finns stopped once they'd liberated Karelia when Hitler wanted them to press on to Leningrad. "No thanks Adolf, we're grand, we've got our territory back...good luck with the Barbarossa thing..."

Well tbh they did have "the white death" legend of a man. They also munched on them drugs they captured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Bill Gates has decided to channel his mega wealth into global health initiatives. Jeff Bezos is looking to explore space. Musk is talking gash on Twitter.

Anyway, if this Starlink system is really working as well as claimed, his contribution to Ukraine's war is still a net positive one, so as long as that continues, I'm not that aggravated by him having a few glasses of wine and talking asinine stuff on Twitter.

I think Russia’s arrogance and belief the Ukrainians are beneath them is why they thought they’d roll in to Kyiv in days. Old colonial mindsets die slow. Never underestimate your opponent doesn’t feature when you’re so far up your own hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Just going back to this topic for a second, one thing worth keeping in mind is that the strategic bomber forces on both sides are only a shadow of their former selves. The days when the US and Russia/USSR had dozens of bases each with several squadrons of strategic bombers each are long gone. The Russian Air Force only has 123 strategic bombers in their operational inventory. 66 Tupolev TU-22M "Backfire"; 42 Tupolev TU-95MS "Bear"; 15 Tupolev TU-160 "Blackjack". Out of those, only the Blackjacks and Backfires are able to drop bombs, the Bears have been converted into pure missile trucks. Now, using the standard "rule of three"* with regards to complex military hardware and ignoring any potential maintenance and supply issues on the Russian side, this would mean that only 22 Backfires, 14 Bears and 5 Blackjacks would be available at any one time. That's not a large force.

The US Air Force isn't in much better shape either. They have a total of 135 strategic bombers in their inventory: 73 B-52H Stratofortress; 43 B-1B Lancer; 19 B-2 Spirit. Using the same "rule of three", that would leave the USAF with 24 B-52s, 14 B-1Bs and 6 B-2s ready to go at any one time. Once again, that's not a large force and a far cry from the heady days of SAC back in the 1960s and 1970s, when the US would have dozens of bombers on airborne alert at any one time, with hundreds sitting on ground alert, ready to go within five minutes. Also, whilst the B-52H is still able to drop conventional bombs, it is mostly used as a cruise missile truck these days.

*The "Rule of Three" with regards to military hardware states that in order to have one unit of a complex piece of hardware (warship, bomber, fighter, etc.) available at any given time, you need at least three: The one "on alert", one working back up after a maintenance period and one in deep maintenance, dry dock, etc. The reason is that any modern military system above a certain level of complexity will not be able to remain on alert 24/&, both due to scheduled maintenance periods and unexpected issues.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

Quote from "The Unknown Soldier", a Finnish movie about the Continuation War:

Soldier #1: "There's a lot of men they can throw against us"

Soldier #2: "But a Finnish soldier is worth ten Russkis"

Soldier #1: "I guess so, but what do you do when the eleventh comes?"

Yeah musk is a T*t but hey his stuff is working. Remember the strop he had about the mini sub to rescue that football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Moving the frontline 30/40km closer to the Kherson Dam would be huge. Easier to target the Dam bridge and it brings them closer to any ferry crossings further south.

Thats because the Kremlin didnt believe in stealth so they actually made all his work public,something US was very grateful for,and have developed more advanced stealth from then on.

The latest is the fibermat stealth used on F35 that is baked into the skin and doesnt need that much time on the ground for maintenance as the F22 that still uses the old sprayed stealth coating.

Then you had Simo Hayha sniper with 500 kills,nicknamed white death,the 1939 version of ghost of kiyv, only he was real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭seenitall

“Until there is a crisis, autocracies look strong and democracies look weak.” (Quote unattributed, your post reminded me of it.)

Hardly Surprising coming from the guy who said he was on Russia’s side just before the invasion but scary to think how much he shapes opinion amongst the right in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Do they even care how absurd they sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Is he allowed to just straight lie? I thought they had to make non assertions like "allegedly" or whatever. He outright asserted that it was the US or a US proxy that damaged the nordstream pipelines. If this turns out to not be true can the US government sue him?

A bit of insight into the life on the frontline (Donetsk, Sept 2022):

Meanwhile, somewhere in Russia………

It looks like the army cleaners are on their holidays…….? 🤔

Notice something…

Pro Putin/Russia posters gone very quiet…

Just don’t say Putin 3 times while looking in a mirror… they might come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Exactly. Posted an article a few days back where the Russians were complaining about continually being attacked in the weakest parts of their lines.

Clearly this isn't by accident, the US are feeding Ukraine this intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Surrendered LPR troops at Lyman.

I noticed how clean their uniforms are. They dropped their weapons at the first opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

never mind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement