Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

And if you think that Bess plant will go ahead you are more deluded than I thought, some very very deep pockets in the horse racing industry. High court all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No.

They will be switched off or redirected by country which will need electricity without any regard to anyone at the end of the line.

If you think that if French for example will have to stop couple reactors and will be faced with shortages that they would keep sending power out then you need to have a look to find out what is happening in the real world like right now.

Not to mention that in current economic climate there is no way your dreamed super interconnectors will be built any time soon. EU would need schitt ton of gas coal and oil to get all of that copper and steel to build your dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Except that that the Celtic inconnector is being built....

And as more renewables come on stream we'll have more power to sell so the case for building more high capacity interconnectors will be clear cut

I can't keep track, but are you one of the people who thinks Ireland can\should build a nuclear power plant?

The ideology of not wanting large parts of our planet to become uninhabitable for humans. It's so blinding. I wish I could see things from your perspective of ' **** it, it doesn't immediately affect me'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Thanks for confirming..

I just read a dutch article about the current grid problems, mainly due to green tech.One party (mainly the Greens) blame the grid operators for not investing enough in capacity which is huge for green tech. The grid operators defended themselves saying they want to see an actual detailed plan with locations and numbers before they invest huge amounts. Again, like everything else, the Greens cannot give you a detailed cost/benefit analysis. Not because they can't but because they know they cant sell that, to anyone. Because it is INSANE. It is, in now common parlance, HOPIUM.

We have to destroy our present known circumstance for a future unknown one which is assumed to be better. Ie, the grass will be greener. To which one commentator replied: "maybe, but surrounded by the graves of millions of dead people who died from hunger".

It comes down to this: GREENS DO NOT LIKE PEOPLE. Gaia states there are too many people on the planet so..everything follows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

We can have some hope in the recent pushback by large amounts of people faced with reality. I think the turnaround will happen when non Green idealogically driven politicians spot the signs and start to ask the right questions. It is already happening. Some mainstream media are now showing articles presenting numbers and doing calculations about energy, conventional and green. All because of the energy crisis. The Greens of course will double down but the general population are getting scared and now doubt the green trajectory in face of the current situation. That will turn politicians as they will lose votes. If the EU continues to punish non green compliant countries with hefty fines it wont be just Ireland but main stay countries like France and Germany who will feel it. But that wont happen. If Germany falls it is the end of the EU. Reality bites, hard. Now, did anyone spot Ursula vd Leyen say:" 2 weeks (or months) to flatten the curve" recently? When did we hear that last? Some seem to think we just have to get through this winter and everything will get back to normal, with the Green flag flying proudly over their house of cards. Lunatics..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Can you tell me how much Greenland ice will not melt if I put expensive solar panels, imported from China with huge carbon emissions, on my roof? I'll take a rough guesstimate.

Emissions from China, India continue to go up up up. When will you guys realize that forcing the green agenda in Ireland will have sweet f all impact on anything on a global scale??

To be fair, it doesn’t take too much effort to post a link, write something along the lines of “good to see”, and wait for the bites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Can you tell me how much Greenland ice will not melt if I put expensive solar panels, imported from China with huge carbon emissions, on my roof? I'll take a rough guesstimate.

At a guess, the emissions produced and environmental damage casused by extracting, transporting, and then burning enough coal to keep you warm and bright will be a lot more than the solar panels over the 25 years of their working life - but you probably know that already.

Emissions from China, India continue to go up up up. When will you guys realize that forcing the green agenda in Ireland will have sweet f all impact on anything on a global scale??

We could manufacture what we need in Ireland and manage (and pay for) emissions here but instead we offset production of consumer goods to China, India, etc. If we stopped buying so much plastic sh1te from them, their emissions would drop accordingly.

Post edited by electricus on

As opposed to what some others do where they post links to anti-science /climate denial nonsense/ anti-sustainable energy and add "this is shockin lads", then rant how pro-pollution is the only way to go.

I think a bit of balance to the tinfoil hat brigade is only right

Yes it does say it all. You want Ireland to become a free rider and screw future generations. I want us to act responsibly and live up to our commitments and responsibilities to future generations

I thought you climate change deniers were against hypocrisy? You love pointing it out every time a Hollywood actor takes a flight, but you collectively come on here to demand that Ireland engage in mass national hypocrisy

Or do you want us to get on board the denial train and pretend we're not acting because climate change isn't real?

The fallacy of his claims have been pointed out throughout this thread. All of those claims are used as labels to parry the fact he is on a religious crusade. He talks about "the science", "belief in climate change" which are all religious terms and don't show an understanding of any science or statistics. When you start digging and looking for information you discover that physics and chemistry have bounds and the trick they are engaged in is using computer models to unbound those limitations. This is why for the last 50 years ALL of their doom laden predictions have been wrong, demonstrating that they do not understand how the natural world works. The most recent example of this you may have seen in recent news articles, is an arts project funded by the taxpayer to project sea levels in 2150. They refer to the IPCC AR6 report, and don't tell you where to look for the data they are basing this projection on (you must believe). They are playing statistics games with global mean sea level (GMSL).

In summary, the AR6 statements about acceleration of sea level rise are based on simple cherry-picked and crude linear least squares fits to sea level data for the past 140 years. They also incorporate data and trends of ocean warming and land-based glacier melting. The problem is the rate of rise of sea level is so small today and so linear that their attempts to predict large rates of sea level rise are statistically inept and almost comical.

source

For sustainable energy, the greens and their fellow travellers have bet the farm on electricity generation from solar panels and wind turbines, and they have ignored the bounds of physics and chemistry, these technologies have limitations, are completely dependent on fossil fuels and are unreliable. They do not have solutions to these limits and resort to magical thinking aka "hopium".

On the the other side of the debate, those of us who are sceptical of their beliefs and projections realise there are no solutions, there are only trade-offs. After two decades of discouraging investment in fossil fuels, labelling them as stranded assets and Environmental, social, and governance (ESG) investing, capped with the Covid lockdowns that bankrupted suppliers, and the stupidity of politicians, the worlds population now has to cope with energy shortages and that is reflected in stagflation we we now experiencing. Coal is now more expensive than oil when each is compared by energy output. Fertiliser production is down and that means the number of calories available to feed animals and ourselves will follow.

The climate zealots rely on computer models and resort to ambulance chasing weather events to generate alarm. The polar bears are fine, the north pole has never been ice free in their life times, in fact the activists who tried to prove it with canoes have had to abandon their efforts due to the ice, the coral is fine, the number of deaths due to weather events is way down on what it was at the start of the 20th century. The frequency of adverse weather events is not increasing. Slowly their narrative is being taken apart by reality, speaking of reality how is your cost of living? It is being directly impacted by energy shortages. They can print money, but not gas molecules.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Years of Green warriors being opposed to nuclear has really sunk us here in Ireland.

The only anti-science nonsense being spewed here are the greenies and their anti-science views on nuclear power. A clean and reliable energy source independent of oil and gas but again anti-science greenie ideoloy gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's, 506 pages and there's still no firm solution... so running a few (admittedly very rough numbers)...

As things stand:

• Between 8AM-8PM our demand is in excess of 5GW - 600k heatpumps will add up to 1GW onto this during winter as they run 24/7.
    • Between 8PM-8AM our demand is in excess of 3GW - 1m EV's will add ~2.5GW onto this assuming average mileage, night time charging, plus another up to 1GW for heatpumps as they'll run through the night just as much as the day (if not moreso at night).

So we now go from a situation of having daytime peaks and night time troughs to an almost sustained 6.5GW demand on the grid, night and day, just under 2030 plans. There's no longer any "quiet" period to charge up batteries on cheap electricity or pump Turlough Hill on "spare" power anymore or produce hydrogen on any scale.

To continue towards 2050 and transition 100% to renewables we need storage...

Let's assume hydrogen storage is cracked and round trip efficiencies of about 30-40% seems to be most commonly reported (I've seen figures into the low teens and also seen figures much higher - the joys of no-one actually having done this at the scale required!).

This figure does NOT account for energy costs associated with water treatment (e.g. desalination) nor for the cost of treating by-products from the process nor the energy consumed in pumping fresh water into the plant and then transporting the produced hydrogen product to the point of use.

30-40% efficiency means for every 10MW of energy in we only get back 3-4MW when we use it. Put another way and assume worst case, 30%, then we need 3.33 units of energy generated for every usable unit of electricity we want back out to the grid.

If we want to build up 90 days of storage, we now need 4.3 times our grid demand - over 25GW - sustained for 90 days, to be able to meet realtime demand and produce the same demand again in the form of hydrogen storage for future use. Thereafter for every day of storage we consume we need another day, within a rolling 90 day window, where we have 4.33 times our demand to replenish the storage again.

If, as I've seen reported here on this thread and on related threads elsewhere on boards, that typical capacity factor of offshore wind is 40-50%, which is generally better than onshore so I'll leave existing onshore out for simplicity, then we need an absolute bare minimum of 50-65GW of distributed offshore nameplate capacity (or onshore adjusted equivalent) installed to meet our needs.

OK - granted - we could carpet the place in solar and build up our reserves during the summer months when electricity demand tends to be slightly lower but solar output is far higher - but wind output also tends to be somewhat lower too so it may only balance out.

Then we also have to consider:

All these new houses that are going to be built to solve the housing crises - they all pile even more new load onto the grid.

As we surpass 1m EV's and 600k heat pumps and head towards 100% carbon free transport and heating - more new load onto the grid again.

Industry growth from manufacturing, datacentres, tech industry - more new load on the grid.

And somewhere we have to factor in the ancilliary services that hydrogen storage will require - water treatment plants, pumping stations, transport of the produced product to the point of use.

You could easily see 100GW or more of total nameplate renewable generation capacity being required to give us sufficient safety and headroom to keep our own needs going year round.

Which brings the real clincher - all these wonderful notions of being able to be sending GW of energy off down the interconnector for days/weeks/months on end, producing vast quantities of hydrogen for export as "Ireland's oil" - that will require additional generation above and beyond that 100GW nameplate...

So - how are we going to deliver that 100GW of generation and how much is it all going to cost?

• Who will build those hydrolisis plants that will only operate when there's wind capacity to power them?
    • Who will build hydrogen plants that will only generate electricity when there is a deficit in wind generation?
    • Who will buy hydrogen in the dribs and drabs that become available only after we've fully stocked our 90-day storage?

None of your options are sustainable so are nothing more than stop-gap measures

None of yours are reliable and many are fantastical and don't exist. A proven technology versus fantasy unreliable tech that needs backup anyway. You're ideology is blinding you. 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You do realize that having affordable, reliable energy is what makes many regions of this planet more habitable than would otherwise be the case. This is especially true for poorer people across the globe. Fuel to cook, heat or cool their homes, access the internet, access phone services etc etc are way more important to these people than paying multiples of their current energy prices to satisfy the technological pipe dream that is the current "green" energy Fugazi.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Talk to me about what you do when the oil, gas and uranium runs out?

A smart move by Germany, they are bringing forward the date for shutting down coal from 2038 to 2030.

This will save 280 million tons of carbon emissions.

Looks like they're rapidly going to go from one of the dirtiest grids to one of the cleanest in a very short time frame

Did they not do that a few years ago only to open them back up again ....

Why shouldn't we it's less damaging to the environment than windmills,solar,Bess storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Talk to me about where we would be right now on you supporting the banning of gas fired power plants.

Tell me in what country, can I find this 100% wind and solar powered energy system that can operate reliably independent of those materials?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Your Emperor is very short on clothing these days Da.

They were supposed to be shutting down all their coal burning plants this year not in 2038.

Meanwhile they are back burning anything they can get their hands on. Strip mining coal at home, importing coal from Colombia`s open cast 69,000 hectare "The Monster" coal mine that uses 30 million liters of water a day in the process, back exploring for gas and oil and building and leasing LNG terminals.

But you know what, perhaps you are correct and we should be once again following Germany.

I remember reading an article a while back where they were talking about covering vast areas in the sahara with solar panels only to discover that it would increase the temperature globally because 85 percent of the heat attracted was bounced back in the local environment. The greens don't think there is any consequences to the mass roll out of solar, wind etc when an idiot can see it has to have a knock on effect some where. The utopia they dream of doesn't exist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

How do I heat my fully electric home and charge my fully electric car when the annual storm damages the power supply ? I have no electricity 2 or 3 days every year and was without power for 6 days in 2017 and 2014

Advertisement