Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭midnightblue

Deleted

Well, in the book he was killed by Qarl because he'd maybe been stepping out with a 16 year old. I'll take the "rowing away to live happily ever after and never heard from again" ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's fairly obvious, once you see the body burning in the fire, what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

The child actors carried a good bit of the episode and are pretty decent overall. As soon as the body was shown head in the fire it was pretty obvious what they planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who ended up as the fall guy in the fireplace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The randomer killed on the stairs - a servant I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Best episode so far I think. Nicely sets it up for the war to come. As much as I like the king I cant wait for him to die now and let the game begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

Not a book reader (thread title). But what I heard is his story was told in flashback from unreliable source? Never mentioned again.

Why The House of the Dragon Ending Left Some LGBTQ Fans Thrilled & Others FURIOUS ~~ #BuryYourGays troupe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think the last two episodes have been as good as any episodes of the original GOT's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Enjoying the show but the over abundance of dragons and resultant poor CGI takes away from the immersion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That poor king is the only fella with a bit of cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can definitely see why people were complaining about the darkness of the episode. From the last few shots of the funeral, to Rhaenyra and Daemon, to Aemond getting the dragon, it was far too dull/dark. Only for the fact there were so few people in the scenes and mostly just talking it didn't hamper things too much, but they really need to address it in future. I get there's no natural lighting for those scenes, but have a character bring a flaming torch or something, or stop setting important scenes where there is no form of light.

Other than that though, a strong episode. Starts setting everything up well for the last few episodes and the scene in the Great Hall with Alicent vs Rhaenyra was great. The Clubfoot guy though is very OTT. Littlefinger was charming, but also so good at blending in that it made it impossible for other characters to ever truly know what he was up to. Clubfoot may as well be called SinisterMan. It doesn't feel like anyone would or should trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Kubrick managed to film Barry Lyndon using only natural light and candle light for indoor scenes and it was easier to see what was happening than this was. It is a choice of the director and a poor one. Not "battle of winterfell" bad but still bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I thought my eyesight was deteriorating watching that episode. Or my internet connection was causing the problem. I had to turn off the lights in my living room to make the tv screen visible.

I’ll have to watch the entire episode again as the lighting was distracting me!

I thought the darker scenes looked really cool. You don't have to see everything clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hah. I was wondering who the person was too. Saw yer man being killed of course but never put 2 and 2 together. I mean, you knew it wasn't him in the fire instantly. Can't imagine there are too many black true-bloods with their white hair floating around that wouldn't be missed though: "Oh, prince whats-his-name is in the fireplace, burnt beyond recognition..... Oh and ser somebody-else who is same height, color and also white the white hair is missing too!"

Good episode. Certainly better than last week. Good to see Rhys Efans back. I think the white dreads on the black characters just look like really bad wigs.. I find this passable fun. It is pretty predictable and there is certainly an air of style-over-substance that befell the last couple of seasons of Thrones (But not to the same degree). Instead of mud and dirt you get fancy trailer-friendly shots of dragons flying in front oft the moon and cool dragon formations surrounding ships. And they still look silly. I think there was only really one scene of Dany on dragonback that looked a bit silly. Her first time as she was escaping the fighting arena. And I think that was mainly because it was very obvious that she was just sitting on a gymnastics horse or similar in front of a green screen. The rest of the time it looked really good. Every time I see a little dot of a person on the back of a dragon here I expect them to get thrown off and skip across the water like some flat stone.

I get it, this is not (yet) in-the-trenches-warfare like Season 2-4 of Thrones and.... and the show IS called "House of The Dragon" but... I don't know, it's not gripping me the way Thrones did. I don't care for most of the characters. I had assumed that Paddy Constantine died a couple of episodes ago (TBH, surprised he lasted beyond episode two).

I will certainly continue to watch it (Fake night scenes and all) but it's a bit "Meh"

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭billyhead

The whole book is unreliable. It is written as a non fiction history book written by a maester years after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

He doesn't. I'd imagine that was Rhaenyra's doing.

Good episode. I didn't find it too dark - it was definitely dark, but completely watchable and I had no difficulty making out what was happening. I felt the same about Battle of Winterfell at the time, I would think it's to do with the versions people are watching, as well as obvious stuff like time of day/other lighting/quality of TV or whatever.

I think the Battle of Winterfell issue fell to the way it was being compressed on certain services. I think it was Now TV or similar a friend had and said that episode was unwatchable as he couldn't tell what was going on at all half the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Im watching on a fire stick which probably was half the issue.

I dunno whose side to align with yet so I am going to go with #Team (kings daughter with the spider.) What’s her name?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Looked it up there as I had no idea of her name either - Princess Helaena Targaryen. Hopefully she'll have a storyline other than being the weird sister (going by what the boys were saying about her in the last episode)

Well I'de say the slightly serial killer looking son will happily go there if the older one doesn't want to which seems the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I figured she was going to be more than just a freaky bug lady. Looks like she has some kind of foresight to have seen Aemond would have to close an eye to get a dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When you say that this starts to spring to mind... but this might not work on a Targ...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

"Slightly serial killer looking son".... You may have to narrow that down a bit.

Ha ya. The one that just lost an eye and gained a dragon.

The other son seems to be a serial masturbator, whinger and drinker but not killer.

Overall Alicent doesn't seem to be that solid a mother looking at the kids.

I'm only on episode six but the new Alicent is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The kids fighting was brilliant, I was actually a bit surprised they didn't show the open wound.

• Advertisement

Laenor leaves a dragon behind too, right?

Advertisement