Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm a big fan of seed, but just to point out, aren't they their budget balls? So comparable to a pinnacle or something. These are not their premium balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Yeah, I don't like the SD-15. I think they are very hard and "clacky".

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Anybody any course knowledge of Waterford Castle Golf Club? Is the course any use? Possibly looking to book a weekend there for a society in the new year.

I haven't played there in a long while, but I always enjoyed playing there. Plus you need a ferry to get across. That's always fun, it adds to the day for me.

It's the only island course in Ireland I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

I hope that's not true as I can think of at least 4 courses with the word "Island" in their name 😮

Of course the other "Island" courses all have access via bridge or road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed - I always enjoyed playing it (prob been 3 or 4 years now since playing it last)

The course is nice and always in good nick. Not too long and not too difficult. I prefer it to Faithlegg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

It's a decent course. You can put away your driver for most of it but a lot a tight holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks for the feedback lads. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭coillcam

The SD-15 Seed balls are a waste of time imo. Srixon distance especially when on a deal is better than the SD-15.

However it's Seed's Pro1/X1 all the way for me, they have great value and performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't think i've ever bought good golf balls in my life. Just wait for you lot to lose them and i find them when looking for mine.

Good day on the course is when i lose 3 Srixon Distances and find 2 Pro-V1's and a TP5 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭phelimb

Seeing as it's a 'Random' thread - how about what kinda new random/never gonna happen (unless maybe on LIV tour) rule would you like to be implemented? I'd be a big fan of a second serve like tennis whereby if you don't like your tee shot (water/lost/OOB whatever) you get another free one off the tee.

That would save me a nice few shots every round 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Nobody would benefit from that greater than me but it would be awful! Rounds can already be slow enough without there being 8 drives a hole

I'd vote against it. I'd just lose twice as many balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Would be a fan of bringing in a rule where you had a choice of taking stroke & distance or dropping where the ball went in and taking a two shot penalty for a ball gone out of bounds or just lost. I think USGA brought in a similar rule but it wasn't adopted by Golf Ireland. I'll normally hit a provisional if I think its gone but so many times I think my ball has just snuck into the rough or into long grass and should be easy to find but arrive to find it nowhere to be seen at all.

For the average golfer, I'm a massive advocate for:

If you hit a drive and you track where it went but can't find it (i.e. winter soft ground/leaves), you can take a drop where you thought it was and take your next with a penalty stroke (i.e. it's now your 3rd shot), instead of having to go back to the tee

Obviously it potentially leaves things open to people taking the mick to an extent, but it would help out a bit surely

Another one potentially would be being in a divot on the fairway. The punishment for it is too harsh I think and i think you should be allowed place within 6 inches. Obviously again, a small dent and someone might call it a divot and want the free place, but I'd nearly be fine with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Place within 6" of tree roots when your ball is sitting on them. Usually you damage the tree and your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

The stats guys say that keeping the ball in play is the #1 rule to improving for amateurs. If you think about it, any OB tee shot, you need a par to get a point assuming you have a shot. It's a hard ask.

Allowing amateurs to take the relief where it goes OB, or lost would be a far fairer system. But it would be a complete change and as you say, open to interpretation.

The OB one is the stickiest part

The person that hit the shot may well say 'no I know I was within the white stakes/trees' or something like that, and avoid the need to tee off again when they hit their first drive

Maybe having the rule left as-is might be safest

But the penalty would still be the same, you would still be hitting your fourth shot after dropping with the two shot penalty, same as if you took stroke and distance. You just have a chance to put your provisional or 3rd on the fairway with stroke and distance as opposed to likely dropping in the rough and taking your fourth from there if you take the drop and two shot penalty.

Ohh yes if a two shot penalty (ie now it’s my 4th shot) then it’s ideal. Just speeds things up and stops the panicking

• Advertisement

When I played kileen Castle they had the rough marked as lateral hazards at a certain distance from the fairway. It wasn't a bad idea in terms of pace of play. It makes some difference to the difficulty of the course though.

I go on a trip each year with friends where we'll drop where we think the ball should be if it's lost in the rough or the like with no penalty. I put in the rounds now so don't do it but I'm happy for friends to. You couldn't have anything like that in counting golf or real comps though. If it's lost it's lost. Either go back and replay your last shot or scratch the hole.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"If it's lost it's lost. Either go back and replay your last shot or scratch the hole"

Or take two shot penalty and drop where last known, local rule rarely implemented since it's introduction so can't do it for a counting round but fine for casual rounds where you want to keep moving

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On the golf Ireland website when I look back to 2018 it has my index at 8.2, at the time my congu handicap was 10.6 - can I call myself a single digit golfer?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can, it just wouldn't be true 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't know it's listed on Golf Ireland so I'll take their word for it 🤣 current index is 14.8 so possibly never get there again!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The thing is, if an amateur hits a ball out of bounds with their tee shot there's a decent chance they might do it again with their provisional. Allowing them to drop under penalty near the out of bounds spot, particularly in a stroke play comp could give them a big advantage in competition over the straight hitter who never goes wild. Some difference between making a 7 with the drop out over making 13 after you hit 4 out of town

That is a good point, never thought of it like that! I guess it adds to the beauty/pain of stroke play

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Definitely, it's way too unfair of an advantage. And it's not just a low Vs high thing or a wild Vs straight thing imo... I've seen good straight golfers hit the odd poor shot oob under pressure. A par would still be well achievable on a Par 5 and an outside chance on a Par 4. At the very least, 3 off the tee would need to be played.

It begs the cruel question, what's the highest, or biggest meltdown, you've witnessed off the tee?

Was playing with a guy who was flying in a medal. First, second and third ball out of bounds... It was car crash stuff, none of us knew which way to look or what to say. 7th off the tee was finally in play but the damage was well and truly done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I have been that solder and on the index 18 no doubt! 🙈

Advertisement