Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭threeball

Except poor Bill gets blamed for everything from mass spying to the Coronavirus, this gobshíte gets lauded as some kind of deity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Yeah well i did say i was worried about him being taken out by the hawks but apparently that means i'm a Putinbot or Russia supporter.

The sad fact is the problem isn't Putin it's the whole system of governance in Russia and the thinking of a lot of people in those positions of power. Now these lads might be making these nuke statements to garner favour and begin to disassociate themselves with the botox dwarf and make themselves look like the next strongman leader or they may in fact be prepared to take that step, i guess we may find out soon enough.

The bottom line is there is something very wrong with the Russian mindset in general and it's been a problem for generations at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

(Pasted from the Guardian, reported earlier this morning) Zelenskiy signs decree ruling out negotiations with Putin. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has signed a decree formally declaring the prospect of any Ukrainian talks with Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin “impossible”.

“He (Putin) does not know what dignity and honesty are. Therefore, we are ready for a dialogue with Russia, but with another president of Russia,” Zelenskiy said on Friday.

I wonder will anyone in the Kremlin take the bait ? I'm not hopeful at this stage. Putin seems to have insulated himself well against the blunders made so far. It seems like a time-honoured tradition in Russia to blame someone else rather than just owning it. Then again, the punishments are severe it must be said...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

In regards the whole Musk thing did you ever seen Ted Cruz or some other right wing jerk get dismantled by the likes of Jimmy Kimmel. Zelensky's a comedian by trade and is arguably the most popular man on planet Earth right now. Musk tangles with him at his peril.

As for Russia's military failures, this gives a very good broad overview for the layman and is worth the watch it you have an hour or so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58DSa6TZ0YM

Short version of the video's conclusions - bad communications prevented proper coordination between different units, vehicles and military branches, which in turn made complicated tactical manuvers essentially impossible. Throw in bad logistical support and outright corruption at the procurement level and you're left with an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thing about dictators and dictatorships is that they appear strong, but they're awfully brittle. There's pressure on Putin, now, and he can only pray that it doesn't hit the 'crack' point, because if it does, it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ukraine flag apparently raised in Novomykolaivka in Kherson. The Russian are withdrawing to more defensible positions.

Seriously guys, do not give the Elon Musk thing any more oxygen.

Musk doesn't give a $hit about this war, regardless of whether it's Russia or Ukraine who's fighting. The literal only reason he tweeted yesterday was to distract from the fact that the Tesla stock price crashed after reporting problems. He knew these comments would deflect from the issues Tesla is having. He's done this crap before and will do it again with something else. Ukraine is just the handy current thing that was available for him to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I lost any respect I had for Elon Musk, which wasn't a lot to start with, after the debacle surrounding the Thai cave rescue. Not only did he stick his nose into something he knew nothing about, cave rescue, but insulted probably the most experienced and respected member of that community online by accusing him of being a pedophile when he was told his stupid mini submarine idea was a non starter. This most recent example just reinforces that.

Starosillya in Kherson reported as being liberated.

We'll be seeing a lot more villages liberated by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,928 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Putin is the whole system of governance in Russia. That didn't happen overnight, it took a long time, but the step from autocracy to totalitarianism was quick. Now the Russian people have very few options.

• Advertisement

One of the things I'm most fascinated by is the Information War that is being waged on both sides, but especially on the Russian side. These past two weeks I've been paying more attention to the current affairs show that's excerpted here from time to time - and I'm never quite sure if this is the same program - the set is always the same despite the revolving door of hosts and panellists, but in the latest salvo of blame and invective, the male host seems to criticize Margarita Simonyan, chief editor of Russia Today, for her recent negative comments on strategy, which on the face of it smacks of old-fashioned male chauvinism, but it's surprising to see to such fault lines appear on the Kremlin's main mouthpiece. You get a sense that the internal wrangling is not being contained. I'm guessing that this opinion piece slipped by Margarita Simonyan, and she was none too happy....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Stupid site missed the quote that I was replying to. The person who said that Russia is concerned about the West learning about their aircraft was Declan Power

Post edited by Discodog on

The Russians have apparently withdrawn from Velyka Aleksandrivka.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's very hard I think to predict the eventual outcome. So much depends on the morale of the Russian military and the true level of belief that they and the public back home have in this war. It's one thing to go in and occupy territory, another to fight & die to keep it. And they are neighbours after all, with many family links.

Ukraine has taken major infrastructural damage where the war has taken place, their economy flattened and much suffering among the population. It's been transformative for them. So where do they draw any line? Maybe ceding some territory in Luhansk and regaining Crimea? But will only eventually negotiate with successor to Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ukrainian flag raised in Novomykolaivka of Kherson region, looks like the Dnipro River will be the new front line

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Davydiv Brod has also apparently been abandoned. Both sides have suffered heavy casualties to take this city, and in one swoop the Russians have abandoned it.

The map will look something like this by the end of the day at the rates things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Many thanks Briany. The single host sermons are always an interesting watch. It's a cliche to reference it, but it really does conjure up Nineteen Eighty-Four...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Given that since mobilization was announced, 250'000 + military age men have left Russia for safer Country's, you would think that by now, anti -war protests would be springing up like mushrooms amongst these war refugees? Seeing that now they are safe from Putin persecution. But where are they? Or is it a case that they agree with the war, but don't want to go and fight it? If that's the case, they should not be given protection, but be sent back home and take their chances, same as Ukrainians and their fellow Russian citizens are doing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Anyone have a link to a video map from the start of the war up till today?

I have an image of the red area going in towards central Ukraine like a wave and now coming back out again.

Edit: found this one for Kharkiv in last month. Gonna check their feed for more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

So they're on the defense rather than offence. Interesting turn of events.

It's a real fight in reality, never seen anything like it.

During the Gulf wars the west kept going East... this war it's push and pull

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not a video, but on https://liveuamap.com/ you can use the Time link at the top right to see where the front line was on any date this year.

There are protests but they're being quenched.

Anyone protesting is immediately conscripted hence why there are videos of men breaking arms and legs.

Anyone expecting an organised march with lovely banners and chants are away with the fairies. Thats not allowed in Russia.

Russians have to protest differently.

Yep, the point is well made. I wonder are most of the Russian diaspora just keeping their heads down now and hoping for a way back home...

I might get roasted for offering this opinion, but I have some sympathy for people who refrain from protesting, in Russia anyhow. Getting picked up for voicing any kind of anti-war statement leads to fines and perhaps a cracked skull from an overzealous security officer, but I read somewhere that getting charged with that kind of offense gets you put on the equivalent of a sex offenders list, which severely hobbles prospects and employment and so on. Just another way the Krelim erodes the right to say, "No"....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I tell ya by the end of this I'm going to be fairly good at Ukrainian geography

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ukraine is taking back more parts of Russia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That train, as per the photo I provided, contained a whole host of vehicles, none of which is the one you imply was the sole cargo. Someone questioning something doesn't make it a fact, it's just an alternative hypothesis, and this is clear from the comments by Konrad Musyka, who apart from stating that the train and equipment does indeed belong to the 12th Directorate, thinks it's 'only' nuclear sabre rattling, which does not preclude him from being wrong as the possibility remains that this movement of equipment might still be associated with the core function of that unit.

I'm likely older than you, so stow the condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,529 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It looks like it will end in a huge military defeat for the Putin regime. All the signs are of an army in retreat, which will be unable to turn things around in the next 3-6 months. The mobilisation has almost certainly come way too late.

How this plays out in Moscow for the dictator is anyone's guess and much harder to predict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

Will be interesting to see where the line stabilises now. If AFU can push down to the dam, then the Russians are down to one damaged road bridge and maybe one rail bridge in and out of Kherson. Both of which would also be well within striking range, as well as a large swathe of ground south of the river.

If they had any cop-on they’d pull back to a new line south of the river now, before its too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

They ran to avoid being sent to fight proberly a fair number of them have no problem with what Putin is doing as long as they are not directly involved .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement