Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed or distance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

I think that's a cracking result given the last month for you, Cork is a much slower course than Charleville imo. Certainly more then 4 seconds slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Great race form for a while now, long may it continue.

Here's hoping you don't meet that gent asking about the hills again, can't imagine it'll be a nice conversation 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great report, love the humour! Well done, sounds like you ran a really solid effort with loads of positives to take from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done. I enjoyed reading that and had to laugh at the useful tips on the website. I noticed people emptying bottles before throwing them and was thinking they obviously read it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Comfortably uncomfortable - that's as good a way to describe HM pace as any. That's a well run race there, picking people off all the way round and using the local knowledge well. Congrats on a great time. The SR presence there on Sunday was incredible also - a privilege to be part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Better get some recent race reports in before I start logging again.

Banna 10K - 31st July

This was going to be a PB attempt and as PBs go it was low hanging fruit. The 10k is not a distance I run frequently and, for various reasons, I hadn't had a good run at the distance previously (pun somewhat intended).

I arrived in Banna over an hour early and briefly said hello to @diego_b of this parish who was well stuck in with getting the show on the road. Weather was a bit dull and overcast but the clouds magically disappeared by the start and we had a nice sunny day.

Since I was early I killled a bit of time working out the split times I would need to go sub 46 and sub 45 and wrote them on my hand. Naturally I only used those once during the race.

I shot out from the start at 5k pace and kept that going for the first two km. The 5k runners had set out with us but they did a 180 at the 2.5k mark so it was a bit of a distraction seeing their placings coming back against us. After 2.5k I was in my own pocket for a bit as those ahead had stretched out and I couldn't hear anyone close behind. Coming up to 5k was the only "climb" on the course. I got passed here and shortly after it was time to turn left at Ardfert village. There was a nice slight decline coming out of the village but this was where we met whatever wind was there. The decline turned into a slight incline further on which probably wouldn't be noticeable on another day but by now I was paying for the fast start and suffering and it was still only at about 7k. 

The 7 to 8k was definitely the toughest part of the course for me and I was glad to turn out of the wind as we turned left back towards Banna at about the 8k mark. I had a quick look at the HR and it was too high with 2k still to go so I backed off slightly to recover and at least ensure the sub 46. A St Brendan's runner passed me here with a lovely running style and the appearance of someone out for a leisurely jog - hate those guys :p.

Passed the 9k marker and picked it up a little for the last km. Happy to see the end point a little closer than expected. Passed again by a Tralee parkrunner who seemed to say "good effort, young lad". The cheeky bugger - I'd say he's no more than 5 years older than me. :p Turned into the last bend and saw the clock saying 44.30 or something. Pushed the last bit to get in under 45 and for once the second seemed to tick by slower than normal rather than the other way around. 

Made it in at 44.52 and, a first for me, had a split second impulse to vomit after crossing the line. That passed as quickly as it came and I collapsed on the grass. That took 1min 18s off my 10k PB from the Adare 10k in February (bad headwind that day) and brought my 10k time more in line with my other distance results. Still a little more to be shaved off when I figure out how to properly run 10ks but happy with the day's efforts. Overall though a great event which ran very smoothly and I'll be back next year.

Result: 44:52 (Chip Time) (PB)

Cork City 10 Miler - August 20th

There's nothing quite like high mileage weeks (relatively speaking) to kill off the urge to race flat out. 

I knew I wasn't up for a PB attempt but was taken with the idea of a "controlled run" which, for me, was to pick a time and try to come as close to that as possible. I also was thinking of maybe just running the 10 at marathon pace but decided in the end to go with a 75 minute run. Of course it helped to have 75 minute pacers on hand for this. I was up in Cork early in the day and had done the Tramore Valley parkrun followed by a fair bit of faffing about town until the 5pm race start. 

The day was sunny and warm and, if anything, got warmer closer to the start time. I lined up with the pacers and as usual the first couple of miles were quite tight trying to avoid clipping other runners and being clipped in return. I thought the first couple of miles were faster than 75min pace although a couple or runners beside me were agreeing that the pacing was spot on. The miles ticked off on to Pairc Ui Chaoimh and then the flat circuit around Monahan Road. We heading out towards Blackrock and onto the coastal walking route to Mahon. By this time I'd settled into the pace and was feeling reasonably ok and was running ever so slightly ahead of the pacers. At around mile 7 we faced into a stiff enough headwind. 

My friend R was maybe 100m ahead of us. Neither of us had shelter from the wind and I had a brainfart that if I bridged across then at least one of us would have shelter. This was a mistake because as soon as I made it across I ran out of puff and immediately started drifting backwards again. Worse, the pacers caught up with me and shot past. We now headed for the ramp up onto the Old Railway line and I figured I'd take it easy climbing up and catch them on the other side. 

However I'd forgotten about the humpback bridge over the south link which was the next climb and this knocked the stuffing out of me. As I flopped down the other side I could see the pacers had made a significant gap. I recovered a little and set about chasing them down. There was about 3 or 4 who had been spat out of the pacing group and I reeled them in over the remaining couple of miles. One however made another spurt towards the finish that I could not match. I didn't quite catch the pacers who finished bang on time but happy to finish strong and take a decent chunk out of the gap they had opened up. I was slightly disappointed not to catch up but happy enough with the outing given no taper and no supershoes. Some lessons learned too on what not to do in a race. It was a bit disappointing that there was no grub laid on afterwards like previous years as it meant most of the runners dispersed. Hopefully that will return when Covid recedes fully. The new Marina Market is grand but it's not the same thing.

Result: 1.15:26 (Chip Time) (Fastest Effort for this course)

Dingle Half Marathon - September 3rd

I think I signed up for this one pre-Covid which obviously got quite delayed. It's not a PB course anyway for sure and the plan was to run it at marathon pace. I had done it back in May (it's been run twice this year) as an easy run so knew the course. The forecast was not great and sure enough the rain started just a couple of minutes before the start. 

I didn't start off well. The first mile came in slower than marathon pace and I started wondering if it would be a long day. However after that things started to improve and the miles ticked over a bit faster. I was moving nearly 10 seconds per mile faster than PMP but figured I'd need to build up a bit of a buffer for when we hit the hillier sections later on. We were a few miles in when we could hear thunder to accompany the rain and the odd flash of lightning. Fortunately there was a long gap between the lightning and thunder so it couldn't have been very close. I didn't mind the conditions as they didn't really affect me in any negative way. You can only get so wet and the rain had a cooling effect. The rain finally stopped somewhere around mile 8 and the day cleared up pretty nicely from there. The hills were taking a bit of a toll but I seemed to keep going and was still slightly faster than marathon pace. There was a couple of other lads around me and we were exchanging places depending on the undulations and how we were feeling. I'd gotten slightly ahead but they reeled me back in as we came to the steeper sections. The biggest hill was on mile 12 and there was an annoying wind coming from the side. I watched both of them pull ahead of me up to the crest. However after that there was a nice downhill to the finish and I was able to push for a fast finish sweeping past both. It was only afterwards I realised that they were probably doing the full marathon. Oops.

I was pretty happy with how that went. I was thinking I'd come home in around 1.45 so happy to take a chunk out of that and to do the 13.1 in slightly under marathon pace on a hilly course which makes me think that the marathon training is going well. Had a chat with a few of our regular parkrunners doing the course and met @diego_b again. Then it was onto the bus and back to Dingle where I changed out of the rest of my wet running gear and cheered in some of the marathon runners. Fair play to them as they had a really tough course.

Result: 1.41:11 (Chip Time) (Fastest Effort for this course) 

Flying it of late. Well done.

Fine stuff D, keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Good going, well done😊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done!

• Advertisement

Nice racing. I like the sound of that Cork 10, might put it on next year's list.

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 6 of 18

Sep 5th - 11th

Mon 5th

6mi Easy - A noticeable drop in temperature this morning and quite blustery. Avg 8.47/mi on flat terrain with avg HR of 136. Feeling quite tight on the tops of the calves after the previous day's HM. Never really felt that before.

Tue 6th

6mi Easy - Decided to bring forward another of the plan's easy days instead of doing the interval session. Calves were still tight so figured it might be better to give them a little more recovery. Avg of 9.19/mi on hillier terrain with HR avg of 140.

Wed 7th

10mi Intervals - 1200x4 @5k pace with 400m recovery

Interval time target was 5.12. Splits came in at 5.16, 5.09, 5.15 and 5.17. Not the disaster that last week's interval session was but it would be preferable if they were a bit more on point. Overall avg pace of 8.25/mi with avg HR of 146.

Thu 8th

Rest day

Fri 9th

7mi Tempo - I took the full 3mi warmup before starting the marathon pace efforts. Stopped briefly during the WU to chat to a clubmate and somehow talked myself into joining the club team for cross country! The marathon miles were all coming in either on pace or very slightly faster except the last one came in approx 20s slower. I don't know why as I was following the workout set on my watch and indicated pace stayed bang in the middle. The only thing I can think of is that I did a 180 turn during the last mile and maybe the GPS didn't record it properly? It's curious how these paces feel harder during training than they do in a race. 11.4 miles for the session with 8.13/mi avg and 149 avg bpm. Edged past 1000 miles for the year on this run.

Sat 10th

10mi Easy - An afternoon amble around Muckross lake which is rolling terrain with some trail elevation as well. 9.2/mi with 139 avg HR. It felt warm, and sticky and humid and I was glad when it was done. Treated myself to a '99 on the way home.

Sun 11th

8mi Easy - The forecast was for rain all day so I decided to head straight back out after volunteering at the junior parkrun. While we only had a quarter of the usual turnout it was amusing to see the kids having no bother with the rain while senior races were being cancelled on the day. The rain wasn't as heavy when I got out myself although by the end I was drenched which would have happened anyway with the humidity of late. 9.02/mi pace with 136 bpm HR avg. 

52 miles for the week which is probably my longest week since lockdown #1. 

Oddly enough my "Fitness and Freshness" score is falling like a rock on strava down to half what it was at the Cork Half. Another metric probably best ignored :)

I'd recommend. It's very flat really with an ever so slight downhill gradient for the last couple of miles. The last couple of runs have been in nice, late summer sun with good turnout and good atmosphere. No medals but the top is nice for winter training.

Just remember to factor in that ramp and bridge at 7.5 miles 😄

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 7 of 18

Sep 12th - 18th

Mon 12th

6mi Easy - The usual Monday easy 6 miler. I don't remember too much about this except that it felt a little sluggish. Pace was on the slower side of easy (can't remember if that was intentional or not) at 9.12/mi with HR avg of 138.

Tue 13th

Interval day or at least was meant to be. Right achilles tendon felt a bit too tight or maybe it was psychosomatic as I tried to procrastinate on the intervals. In any case an unplanned rest day ensued.

Wed 14th

10.5mi Ladder Intervals - 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 1200, 800 @5k pace with 400m recovery

Split targets: 1:43, 3:24, 5:05, 6:50, 5:05, 3:24

Actual: 1:42, 3.32, 5:09, 6:58, 5:18, 3:25

Only noticed afterward that there was an extra 400m at the end of the ladder that's omitted on the program table (table 4.4) but included in the speed workouts. Reasonably ok with that as my 5k speed is probably somewhere in the 21 - 21:30 range at the moment and suffers with high volume. Got out near to dusk for this and with a lot of tree cover on the route it was pretty dark for a lot of it. Pace averaged overall at 8:25/mi with avg HR of 148.

Thu 15th

7mi Easy - Brought forward this easy run to samdwich it in between the two sessions. With an eye on the fact that it was between sessions I'd planned to run very much on the easy side but got into a rhythm where it seemed easier to keep going so ended up doing it on the fast side of easy at 8:41/mi with an avg HR of 141. The cooler temps of late and lower humidity certainly make these runs that bit easier. 

Fri 16th

11mi with 7mi Tempo - After a two and a half mile warm up I got stuck into the marathon paced miles. 7:49 was the target

Actual: 7:43, 7:42, 7:48, 7:41, 7:42, 7:59 and 7:36

The second last mile was due to a drop in concentration which was over-corrected in the last mile. I have a tendency when I notice that I've got a bit of a buffer over the target early on that I try to hold that buffer. Which is probably fine for 7 miles but probably likely to be detrimental over 26 miles. An avg pace of 8:02/mi and avg HR of 146

Sat 17th

8mi Easy - Had planned to get these done early before doing setup at parkrun but the venue was still locked up when I arrived. Went off and did 5 mile, did the setup and did the remaining 3 in the parkrun. Started off easy but, as usual, couldn't resist the temptation to chase so each lap got progessively faster. Nice morning for it but it was pretty chilly at the start. The car temp read 3 degrees on the way in. Garmin stats got messed up with a long pause and restarting the watch a few hundred metres away from where it was paused.

Sun 18th

14mi Long - I've raced twice in this plan and they both co-incided with the days long runs were prescribed so this is actually my first long run on this plan. I somehow got all the way through (sort of) the Hanson's Half Marathon plan without noticing that there was as a distinction in terms of pace for the weekend runs. I simply didn't notice that some were labelled long and some labelled easy. I've always treated the long run as an easy run.........just longer.

8:29 per mile was the target.

Actual: 8:29, 8:25, 8:23, 7:54, 8:20, 8:15, 8:15, 8:09, 8:24, 8:24, 8:37, 8:16, 8:08, 8:14

I tried to drink water while running on mile 11 and it didn't go well. Probably coughed up half a lung. Feeling the miles catching up on me for the last few there but still could probably have run a couple more if I had to. Just as happy that I didn't need to though. Avg pace ended up a 8:19 with avg HR of 148.

Reasonably happy with how things are progressing at the moment.

58 miles for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

There is a big distinction between long and easy runs in the Hanson Plan that you should be aware of.

Long is 30-40 seconds on top of PMP and they alternate every other weekend.

Yes, and I was wondering why I hadn't noticed that distinction when I did the Hanson Half Marathon version. However Hanson copied and pasted the pace chart from the Hanson Marathon book into the Hanson Half Marathon book (table 3.5). The tempo paces in the pace chart table is definitely wrong as they are for the full marathon so that places some doubt on whether the rest of the table is half marathon specific.

I did however notice the distinction when I started the full marathon plan. I think I prefer the faster long runs but my opinion might change after a few weeks of them 😄

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 8 of 18

Sep 19th - 25th

Mon 19th

6mi Easy - Did this on a reasonably flat local route. At times a little too fast so knocked it back a bit. Maybe there would be more advantage to keeping it to the slower end of slow pace? Not sure. Avg pace came in at 8.48/mi so still a touch hot with avg HR of 140.

Tue 20th

Interval day so 3x 1600 with 600 recovery was the order of the day. Decided to do this on the track for a change and joined in with the club session albeit doing my own thing.

I think my 5k pace right now would be about 21.15 so the pace target for this was 6.55 per 1600m.

Splits: 6:59, 6:57, 6:48. Tbh I'm not particularly concerned about nailing the speed sessions. I'd have a much better chance of hitting the paces with a training partner to bring out the competitive edge that I need to push for speed. That said the effort felt slightly easier than usual especially for the latter reps. I think just having the other club members there running their workouts on the inner lanes was a benefit.

Wed 21st

Rest Day.

Thu 22nd

7mi Tempo - Did this on a flat section of road (very much relatively speaking) and started with a two mile warmup. I'd planned to monitor pace on each mile using the lap feature on the watch but the constant watch checking became annoying so I abandoned that and ran by feel. Unfortunately it quickly became evident that I couldn't run marathon pace by feel.

Target pace was 7.49/mi

Actual: 7:54, 7:43, 7:33, 7:45, 7:43, 7:37, 7:45

Avg HR for the tempo miles was 157 which is higher than I'd like it to be for marathon effort. It was low 150 avg when I ran DCM last. Perhaps if I can figure out how to keep the tempo runs closer to target pace then it will drop down. The main takeaway I took from this run is "this is really not how I want to feel in mile 6". Anyway still plenty of tempo runs to iron this out.

Fri 23rd

6mi Easy - Again joined the club training for this. The advantage is the softer surface of the track and getting in the drills and core work. The disadvantage is that it's necessary to split the run and then continue it after doing the cooldown exercises. Avg pace - 9:18/mi with avg HR of 135

Sat 24th

10mi Easy - the plan was to do 7 early and finish off with the parkrun. The intention was to run the parkrun easy also but that after about 3 or 4 hundred metres that plan went to pot. That was a bad idea as I had a XC race the following day. So did the first 7 (actually turned out to be 8) miles at approx 8.50/mi with 135 avg HR and the final 3 miles at approx 6.50/mi and avg HR of 165.

Sun 25th

10mi Easy was on the plan again today but I'd let myself be talked into doing cross country with the club. The thinking was if we could field a full team then there would be a good chance of a medal. Hey, it had worked before. I got sight of the team sheet a couple of days before and saw we had more than enough with 6 team members. I recognised 4 of the names who were all faster than me and chances are the other guy would be as well. Good, no pressure then. This would be my first XC race. I've been meaning to have a go for a couple of seasons but didn't for various reasons (injured, untrained, too lazy!). I lined up for the 6k race still leggy from the previous day's hard effort - not ideal preparation! It didn't matter anyway as many of the runners were comfortably sub 20 5K runners with several sub 18 runners. On my best day I wouldn't have got near them.

I had to settle for my own race within a race as I targeted R. He had shot ahead in the first of the 6 and a half laps but the gap was narrowing, slightly at first and then more obviously, with each lap. I had caught up with him halfway through the last lap and was pondering when to overtake. I decided to settle in behind and recover a bit and then pounce pretty close to the line. However he was slowing and I was nearly running into the back of him so I overtook with more than a quarter of a lap remaining. R says "well done" and I reply that "it's not over yet". He says "oh, it is for me". 

That might have been it except some of R's team are lining the finish chute and start roaring encouragement. "C'mon R, you can take him, c'mon R, you can do it". Without coming across all Meghan Markle I'm wondering where my support is. R gets a second wind and sprints for the line. It takes me a nanosecond to decide "nah, not today". And so I finish second last instead of third last. At least our team has placed second and, thanks to club policy, all team members get a medal.

Just over 45 miles for the week.

The medal collection just keeps growing for you. Well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on your XC debut😊

Medal on your XC debut D, well done! It was a good race to watch as KVAC and An Riocht duked it out for the team prizes.

• Advertisement

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 9 of 18

Sep 26th - Oct 2nd

Mon 26th

8mi Easy - I got out of the car and faced into a blustery headwind that I knew would last about a quarter of a mile at least. I felt like just getting back in but told myself that these days make the difference between a good and bad marathon. That's probably nonsense but gotta get the motivation somewhere. Actually it turned out to be a pleasant run and I had the wind behind me for the quarter mile home. Avg pace of 9.12/mi with over 800 feet of elevation for an avg HR of 137bpm.

Tue 27th

6x800 intervals. Went back to the track again for these. Took a shorter warmup this week of 1 mile and launched into the repeats.

Target Time: 3.25

Actual: 3:26, 3:25, 3:25, 3:25, 3:22, 3:26

I was very pleased with the pacing on these with having 5 of the 6 repeats within a second of target. I made an effort of trying to watch how the legs move when at the correct pace and then try to keep that consistent. Pace was also at the higher end of my 21:00 - 21:30 guestimate of my current 5K time but felt comfortable for a change. Rain was lashing for the whole session and the cool down afterwards but you can only get so wet and it's still relatively warm so not so bad.

Wed 28th

This should have been a rest day but I brought forward one of the weekend easy runs to free up a day for the XC at the weekend.

8mi Easy - Got saturated with rain again on this as I got caught in a heavy shower about half way through. Other than that nothing much to report. Avg 8.58/mile and 136bpm on fairly flat terrain.

Thu 29th

8mi Tempo - The MP paced tempo went up a notch this week to 8 miles.

Target pace was 7.49/mi

Actual: 7:50, 7:46, 7:45, 7:47, 7:42, 7:46, 7:45, 7:52

The majority of those miles were still slightly hot in terms of pace but not as far off as last week. Avg HR was only a couple of bpm lower than last week but that still felt quite a bit more comfortable. Still some work to do on nailing the pace for PMP. 12 mi in total with avg pace of 8.05/mi and avg HR of 151bpm.

Fri 30th

7mi Easy - Another plodding easy run with not much of note to report. It was nice to get a dry run for a change. Avg pace - 9:17/mi with avg HR of 135 with elevation of almost 500 feet.

Sat 1st

15mi Long (Actual 12mi) - The target pace for this was 8.29/mi and it took a fair bit of concentration to get close to that pace. Any lapse of concentration and the pace would creep up. I was mostly unsuccessful in keeping to that pace as the miles came in at 8:29, 8:26, 8:27, 8:25, 8:24, 8:20, 8:24, 8:16, 8:20, 8:27, 8:23, and 8:22. So the pacing aspect of the run was disappointing but I also started experiencing a pain under the arch of my foot. This got a little more pronounced as the run went on and although I probably could have finished out the 15 I pulled the plug at 12 miles. I had a race the following day and just figured why risk it further for another three miles?

Sun 2nd

County Cross Country Masters

Back to the scene of last week's race for more XC. This time for the Masters event and this time we only had the 4 in the team so my score would be counted. There seemed to be a lot more lined up for this race than last week's novices race and the distance was 1k longer at 7k. The ground was also slightly softer after a week of rain but not by much. I was feeling an extra 20 miles of training in the legs this week and the hip flexors were feeling a bit sore. I knew on the first lap that my pace was slower than last week (about 12s/mi slower as it turned out). On the second lap a young child said a bit too loudly to her friend "My daddy's last but that's ok" which I found very funny but also told me I wasn't last. The marathon endurance training paid off somewhat as I caught 3 runners in the last couple of laps and finished in good shape so at least it felt like a better race than last week. It looked like we were going away empty handed for our efforts but after a re-check we were placed third for bronze. Still good craic and a good atmosphere about the place. Next week is the seniors race and that will be the XC done I think!

Just shy of 64.5 miles for the week. I think I did a slightly longer week during lockdown #1 but that's probably my second highest weekly mileage ever.

Cracking mileage and well done on Sunday, back for more laps next weekend...fairplay 👏

Thanks D. I think we'll have some of our faster runners back for the senior race with probably a good chance of a medal. Then I can just tap around at my own pace when the lads have all the hard work done and collect a medal too. Gotta think of the long game 😉😄

Having a team at all in this game gives a very favourable chance of a medal! You'll be there as back up as needs be I am sure. Been very impressed seeing lots of more clubs fielding teams this year, I hope that carries on into the road race in the new year.

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 10 of 18

Oct 3rd - Oct 9th

Mon 3rd

6mi Easy - I'm in a bit of a paranoid phase at the moment where I've suspected any slight twinge or irritation is going to flame up into a showstopper after a long week last week so I opted to do this run on grass circuits of the local sports ground. It's boring and monotonous and has a hill that repeats every 800 metres but, in theory, should be easier on the legs. Wore my trail runners which I've had for years and brought their mileage up to a grand total of 32 miles. I really must do more trail. 

Avg pace of 9:28/mi, avg GAP of 9:13/mi and avg HR of 140bpm. No after effects from the previous week flared up so happy with that. 

Tue 4th

3x1600 intervals. The track is as also easier on the legs so I stuck to that for the final of the speed sessions. Hallelujah!!

Target Time: 6.50

Actual: 6:57, 6:46, 6:46

Happy enough with that and happy to see the back of the speed sessions for the moment.

Wed 5th

Rest Day. 

Thu 6th

8mi Tempo - This was the plan but I thought of the XC racing at the weekend and the little warning niggles from last week and felt it a better idea to just run the 8 miler easy. Avg pace 9:21/mi, Avg GAP 8:50/mi, Avg HR 139bpm

Fri 7th

6mi Easy - I'd planned to swap around the 6 miler and 10 miler so that I wouldn't have the 10 mile the day before the XC racing. However I left it until very late to get out and only really had time to do the 6 before it got really dark. The clocks will be rolling back in a few weeks and then we'll really feel the short evenings. It's going to make midweek runs a lot trickier. Avg pace on this was 9:11/mi, Avg GAP of 8:36/mi and avg HR of 137.

Sat 8th

10mi Easy - Got out in the afternoon for this after parkrun volunteering and took what's becoming a regular loop around Muckross lake. I went the opposite direction to what I normally do to get the most of the elevation out of the way early. The route remains relatively undulating all the same. The left hip flexor started squeaking slightly towards the end. Pace avg was 8:52/mi, Avg GAP was 8:18/mi and avg HR was 137.

Sun 9th

County Cross Country Seniors

After the Novices and the Masters this week it was the turn of the Seniors Race for the County XC. It was a day of unrelenting rain and while it varied in intensity it never actually stopped. I thought we were up early so I went for a 2 mile warmup but it was almost a further hour and a half before the senior men's race started. We also got the news early on that the two strongest runners in our team were out sick. Indeed there was far less runners for this race than had been in the previous two. 

Conditions were quite a bit slippier and muckier than the previous two weeks. Once again I was towards the tail end of the field but I did catch one of the other team's lads on the second last lap and lapped the last finisher. The others were about a minute a mile stronger. We thought were in with a good shout for team silver but as one runner had run with the wrong number bib it took until later that night before the results could be issued and we found out we had indeed secured team silver. 3 XC races and 3 medals secured. This team thing is great!! :) The race was supposed to be 10K. For me it worked out at 6.01 miles at avg pace of 7:27/mi and avg HR of 157bpm.

Just over 50 miles for the week.

Hanson's Marathon Method - Week 11 of 18

Oct 10th - Oct 16th

Mon 10th

8mi Easy - Another late evening run and with the fading light which finished practically in darkness but I was lit up like a Christmas tree. Avg speed 8:51/mi. Avg GAP 8:13/mi. Avg HR 136bpm, elevation gain 837ft.

Tue 11th

6x1mi - The first of the strength sessions on the plan. Having done the Hanson Half Marathon plan earlier in the year these look very similar at first glance. The required pace is obviously easier but that's compensated for by the reduced recovery.

Target time 7:40

Actual: 7:33, 7:31, 7:36, 7:38, 7:34, 7:35

Not quite on target but nearly all my runs are defaulting to slightly faster than target so may as well roll with it.

Wed 12th

Rest Day. 

Thu 13th

8mi Tempo - I took the new Vaporfly Next% out of the box for this in order to break them in a little before race day.

I hadn't worn a pair previously and tbh I was a bit underwhelmed while running with them. There didn't seem to be anything particularly notable about them - certainly no wow factor.

Target pace for the Tempo miles: 7:49

Actual: 7:44, 7:41, 7:48, 7:44, 7:38, 7:33, 7:44, 7:40

Avg HR for this run was 148bpm which was a few beats lower than the last time I did a PMP run. Perhaps cooler weather or the shoes was the reason. I wore my 2019 DCM top for this which was a bit too warm (or it was too humid) as I was plastered in sweat afterwards. After this session and the strength session my watch was very pleased with me and granted me another couple of vO2 max points and bumped up my predicted race times.

I've a better chance of taking over from Liz Truss as UK PM as I have of getting those predicted times any time soon. 😄

Fri 14th

8mi Easy - I swapped around the 7 and 8 mile easy days these week and got this done circling a local hill. A wee bit of elevation involved but felt pretty comfortable. Avg pace 8.50/mi, avg GAP 8:08/mi, avg HR 138bpm, elevation gain 804ft

Sat 15th

7mi Easy - I split this run in two. First up was the morning parkrun. A lad I know told me on the start line he was looking to break 25 minutes but two pacers he'd lined up didn't turn up due to the horrible weather forecast. I offered to pace him. It didn't quite work out that well as my GPS was jumping around the place. It would have been ideal if he was trying to break 24 minutes!! Anyhow he was 9 seconds out but the day was not PB friendly with a heavy shower with hail. I was soaked by the end so changed out of the wet gear and went for some post parkrun nibbles and chat. Went out later in the afternoon for the latter 4 miles on today's agenda.

Sun 16th

The first of the 16 mile long runs. I haven't taken a gel in this training block yet so figured it was time to start practicing. I took a high 5 caffeine gel about 15 minutes before the start and brought two Kinetica gels with me. I used an 8 mile loop so waited until I was back to the car before taking the second gel and getting some water. Jaysus, they are sweet! I tried ingesting it gradually on the run while drinking from a 250ml bottle. It was a bit fiddly but could be done. I felt good through the first half and thought of extending the run to 18 miles or perhaps even 20 but in the end decided to stick with the plan. Happy with how it went and felt I could have handled the extra mileage (to 18 anyways) if I had to. No point in risking injury by extending though and besides the rain was starting. Avg pace - 8:19/mi, Avg GAP 8:02/mi, Avg HR 141bpm

62 miles for the week.

It turns out Cross Country isn't over yet as the team is heading to the Munster Novices next week.

Just been catching up here. Congrats on the cross country medals, and also just for doing the cross country in the first place - tremendously beneficial for any runner. It's a bit late now but I probably would have eased off more on the SOS sessions during that three weeks of racing that you did, but you seem to have survived with the small changes you did make so no matter. I'd watch that in future though! If you're racing next week I'd be curtailing or cancelling at least the session before and/or after.

Good to be testing the gels out nice and early. I managed the full quota in my recent race, I think for the first time ever, and there's no way I would have been able to tolerate that without plenty of testing and getting the stomach used to the stuff in advance, even if it's only the odd one here and there.

Nice work!

Thanks @Murph_D, that's very useful advice and a good prod on the gels issue. I wasn't sure how to handle the nutrition as my stomach was in bits at the end my one and only marathon after the high 5 gels which I hadn't practiced taking beforehand.

I think I'll try the Maurten ones this time. Would taking them for the tempo runs and long runs be sufficient practice or should I add a strength or another easy run to the mix too?

I guess I got away with the XC as I didn't need to go all out (it would have made no difference). Dropping two sessions for it is too high a price (marathon is priority) so I'll just do this week and bow out after that. I'll do 9 mile easy tomorrow instead of the tempo run and take Monday very easy and hopefully be back on track for next Tuesday"s strength session.

Tempo/Long runs will be more than sufficient to test them out.

• Advertisement

Yes, it's important to test taking the stuff at race pace, and also while fairly tired or depleted on the long run. I did take a few more on easy runs but this was just purely to get more opportunities to try the stuff out as I left it quite late in the programme to start doing this.

Advertisement