Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

And yet, the ones who did protest and paid the price for it will be the hero's when Putin is ousted, let those protests be at home (preferably) or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭rogber

Elon has a new fan (from the Guardian):

The Kremlin has praised the Tesla boss, Elon Musk, for suggesting a possible peace deal to end the war in Ukraine, after Kyiv rebuked him for proposing terms it viewed as rewarding Russia.

The Kremlin spokesperson, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters in a conference call:

It is very positive that somebody like Elon Musk is looking for a peaceful way out of this situation.

Compared to many professional diplomats, Musk is still searching for ways to achieve peace. And achieving peace without fulfilling Russia’s conditions is absolutely impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭briany

Interesting site, here, listing the Russian losses in various forms since the invasion began.

To be clear, this is based on Ukrainian estimates, so take them with a pinch of salt if you feel that's necessary.

For example, the UAF are claiming Russia are down around 2,500 tanks since the beginning of the invasion, which is double what's been visually confirmed as lost by the Russians, as quoted by @correct horse battery staple . Even if you take the half number, it's still more than what the Russians are reported to have initially committed in Ukraine, which is another thing that really conveys what a hell this war is for the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, I know what it's like. I lived there for several years, but for the ones who have escaped??? Seems that the agree with the war, but not if they have tom actually go and fight in it.

@jmreire

Seems that the agree with the war, but not if they have tom actually go and fight in it.

I believe that state of mind is known as Ted Nugent Syndrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

"When Putin is ousted", what then?

Look at the calls for escalation those around him are making. Simply removing Putin won't be enough, the whole regime needs to go and that's going to be very difficult in a country that appreciates the strong man leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

People should not forget that Bill Gates profiteered from Ireland's misfortune and was in like Flynn to stick his snout in the trough. We, the Irish taxpayer, were paying this vulture 10 or so percent while struggling as a country and prevailing interest rates were close to zero.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

I was in Dublin city centre at the weekend and there was a small protest with maybe 20 or so Ukrainians opposite the GPO and two guys where holding up "Russian and opposed to the war" placards so im guessing they where Russian but overall i agree the lack of protests given the amount of people who have fled tells it's own story about the Russian mindset.

Ukraine is taking back parts of Ukraine - that is implied in the 'take back' bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

TOKYO, Oct 4 (Reuters) - Japan ordered a Russian consul in Sapporo to leave the country by October 10 in retaliation for the expulsion of a Japanese consul in Vladivostok last month, the foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

While it was said that Russia's military comprised a million people, Russia's special counter-protest police number over two million. Russia is likely like China in spending considerably more to protect the ruling elite from the people than it does on protecting the country from external threats. Both countries could be viewed in essence as vast prison camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

They reproach me here that I drive people into depression with my news. Say, you need a positive. Well, the time is such, there will be no good news in the near future. Neither from the Kherson front, nor from now Lugansk.

In many of our sectors, let's say, fatigue has set in after a long offensive period, during which large territories were liberated. But there is no longer any strength left to hold them.

Why is that? Because there are not enough people. Although, for sure, in the “staff” everything looked different. These slaps in the face were needed so that everyone would understand how it really is. After that, they announced a partial mobilization.

The enemy, on the other hand, brings prepared reserves into battle, realizes an advantage in both manpower and intelligence. The time they spent retreating and on the defensive, Kyiv used to prepare new combat-ready formations.

You can sprinkle ashes on your head and tear your chest hair with a cry of “Everything is lost!” But now we need to do the same thing - to prepare people to dilute the bloodless units with them. Solve interaction and communication problems. Set up rears.

We drove now from Kremennaya to Svatovo. I don’t see panic, hatred either. The men are preparing for heavy battles for the territory of the Russian Federation. Which we have to win back when the operational crisis of the NWO is overcome.

No longer any strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Interviewer: The first bus with men are leaving, what do you think?'

Man on street: They are going to fight for the motherland, I'd say even for Stalin.

Interviewer: 'Who are we protecting the country form?'

Man on street: I don't know...

That's as bad as the kill "orcs", that pervades this thread. No wonder the Russian government pulls most of its mobilisation from outside the main cities. Bear in mind there is a public answer and a private answer and most people know what answer to give in public. Morale is not low for people who have not been stuck on the frontlines for several months and the expectation is they do their patriotic duty.

After the current Ukrainian push, There will probably be a lull, followed by the Winter war when the ground is frozen and movement is possible. Probably the Russians will reopen the northern front, they are also gathering men and materials in Crimea so either a push to Zaparozhia or else finish off Donbass. If they can hold the west bank in Kherson over the Winter, that opens the possibility for a push to Nikolayev next year and on to their goal of Odessa. Whether that becomes a reality is another question.

The combination official declaration of annexation and blowing up of the pipelines means the sides involved (Russia, Ukraine and NATO) have drawn their demarcation lines. I have a contact currently stationed in Romania who expects to be on the ground in Ukraine next year as part of a NATO force and are preparing with that in mind. Whether than happens is another question. A lot of mobilistion and concentration of forces happening in the Russian oblasts (Kursk,Belgorod and Vononezh) surrounding the Ukraine border. Regrettably this war is far from over.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

The Moscow ring road would make a good perimeter. 😁

We haven't had anything about washing machines in a while so here you go:

To protect his stolen washing machine until he can get it safely back to the nest, where his mate waits patiently with her brood of little Orcs, the male Orc cleverly fashions a shipping crate from ammunition boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Morale is not low for people who have not been stuck on the frontlines for several months and the expectation is they do their patriotic duty.

Where are all these high morale combat ready Russian soldiers?

@Pa ElGrande

After the current Ukrainian push, There will probably be a lull, followed by the Winter war when the ground is frozen and movement is possible. Probably the Russians will reopen the northern front, they are also gathering men and materials in Crimea so either a push to Zaparozhia or else finish off Donbass. If they can hold the west bank in Kherson over the Winter, that opens the possibility for a push to Nikolayev next year and on to their goal of Odessa. Whether that becomes a reality is another question.

Ukraine will be able to use a Winter rest period as well as the Russians can, only Ukraine will be getting more NATO weaponry and time to fortify what lines they think need fortifying. The Russians, on the other hand, will have to do an impromptu episode of Scrapheap Challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So? If not him, it would've been others (and your article does name some other investors.) Looks like Bill emptied the cookie jar to buy those bonds, under $100m, he can probably find it in the sofa cushions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Some things:

1. You've got a friend in Romania and I'm Charles the III.
    2. Morale is not low: You know this because... your friend from Romania told you? Is this why they ran off to Turkey/Kazakhstan/Georgia rather than feck off to die, untrained and forced to pay for their own kit? Oh, right, Morale isn't low - if you admit to it, they kill you
    3. Remember, patriotic duty, like you're doing with this nonsense, means die for Stalin.
    4. Russian 'material' is rusty AK47s. 60,000+ dead troops in case you've forgotten

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Perhaps, but I just can't see a people's revolution happening. I think the screws are too tight for that to happen.

And I can't see how enlightened members of the inner circle could organize a change of leader and policy. They could, annouce that Putin had reached a point where his obsessive imperial fantasies were leading the country to destruction, but how do they reverse the current Ukraine/West doctrine, which has Russians thinking today it's Lyman, tomorrow its Moscow. It's very hard to see someone in the Kremlin saying "Russia is embarking on a new chapter in relations with its neighbour, in the spirit of peace and friendship". I just can't see how the Kremlin can get out of this trap of expanionism they have made for themselves. It's a conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nobody actually knows what going or who's behind the scenes saying and pushing for ,

Hawks a buzz word used across all of the American threads since the 90s oh the hawks are doing this ,the hawks are demanding that, Putin is a decent leader but the hawks made him do this ,

What's next the 5th column.

Some can't get the basics right never mind knowing whats happening in Moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Ruskies will freeze to death, this will be the first time in history when the cold weather is against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,531 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't be all sure the war will still be underway next March-April. This scenario assumes that Putin is safe in Moscow, but this might not be a given. I suspect something could happen politically before Ukraine has driven Russia completely out of the occupied territories (it would surely be evident to everyone in Russia at this point that the war had been long since lost).

I'm actually embarrassed for the Russian military at how they are being pushed back. Even allowing for the donations in weapons, the Ukrainian army still need to use them wisely and be tactically smart. It gives me hope in the power of democracy and meritocracy.

Remember a few months ago the contrast between the US military promotional ad featuring a feminist daughter of two lesbians, versus the masculine Russia army advert? At the time I believed I was looking at a declining empire versus an emerging power ready to flex its muscles. Now though Russia just remind me of a bully who when someone stands up to them they have no plan B.

Russia's cultural vision of masculinity is reminiscent of some insecure 16 year old.

"I'll just sit out here in near freezing temperatures, smoking non-filtered, wearing no shirt and lifting these rusty weights I found in a shed. No one will ever dare suggest I'm gay after this!"

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭castor 1

I feel that Putin's inner circle, might retire him out to pasture and present it to the World as he being in ill health.

The likes of Peskov, Lavrov and Abramovich might offer an olive branch to the West, agreeing to withdraw from the four regions but insisting on clinging on to Crimea and then selling it in Russia as the only way to end an unwinnable war with NATO.

I see this as the only way that the Russian ruling 'mafia' can be sure to hold on to their power. They are all cronies of Putin and have been hand picked by him for the last 20 years. If they can't negotiate/manage a way out of this debacle, they are likely to eventually be ousted by the army and the people.

Those around him calling for escalation are only spoofers and are attempting to frighten the West and to impress Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Neither did the Ukrainians, who had to do rapid mobilisation in February this year, with training given in NATO countries like Poland and the UK. They only have to get organised to bring their numbers into play in a meat grinder against the Ukrainians. Give it maybe 3 months for the Winter war to start in earnest.

The equipment only has to be good enough to complete the task. Ukraine has run down their equipment too and pulling from the scrap heap, they are asking NATO for Leopard and Abrams tanks. The barrels on artillery and tanks are only good for so many rounds before they must be replaced.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

They ratified the annexation today.

So game on now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement