Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

you don't, simple as. it's the reason my house has a gas hob, a range and a stove. and a pile of wood in the shed. mind it is a 170 year old house so sticking in a heat pump is going to be damn all use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is not a one winter story, let’s just make it very, very clear,” Amrita Sen, founder and director of research at Energy Aspects, told Bloomberg Television in an interview late last week.

Watch it till the end where she point out what is primary cause of current energy crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Eamon Ryan and the greens should watch that video . She explains it simple terms that even they should be able to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Green energy obsession over energy security. Sums it up. The politicians focusing on the first part and ignoring the second part is leaving us high and dry in this country and across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

6 mins 30 seconds in

Amrita Sen: Let me make one thing very, very clear. Todays energy crisis is not necessarily because of Russia. It's been exaggerated because of Russia and weaponisation of gas, but, we are here because of Western policy which has simply focussed on energy transition, not on energy security, and, it hasn't killed off demand as much as it has killed off supplies. Now in some parts, in Norway there is a bigger acceptance, that look we need all forms of energy as long as we decarbonise hydrocarbons. I think that is the right way to go about this, because, unless or until economic growth stops we are going to get energy demand continue and we are not investing enough, so that's going to be a problem.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Following Germany would be the worst thing we could do. It is the prime example how NOT to do things. Numero uno. It is a case of how to demolish your entire industry and economic base by making a series of fatal mistakes over a long period of time and then, when things go sour blame one factor (Putin) for 100% of your problems. Companies are going bust left right and centre. German people are finally waking up to this. No amount of money will save them. There is no real expertise left in the area where decisions are made.Go Green, go bust..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

There were another couple of posters who were at the same thing he is now.

Haven’t seen them in a while- maybe they’ve given up charging their phones to save the planet………

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Another mess from the greens, even the SD's are complaining, the greens can't even get something as simple as solar right.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/solar-panels-5883042-Oct2022/#comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What do you mean gone quiet lately?

That the minutes are redacted?

There is a war in Ukraine in case you didn't know. I don't think publishing the details of our emergency disaster response would be a very good idea given the fact that Russia are trying to cause as much disruption to the EU as possible.

Maybe you'd personally like for Putin to see our sensitive national security documentation, but I'd prefer he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah it's a shockingly slow process. The grant system is broken with individual households having to do most of the leg work on an individual basis. Zero ambition from the government on solar and it's a very easy win.

• Advertisement

Hilarious.

You say someone is deluded for thinking a BESS plant that has already gotten planning approval will be built because of objectors, but then, moments later, say that you think a Nuclear power station could be built in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

One could be built at a stroke of a pen get rid of the stupid law. And then build it on Government land ABP has no input in that.

Modern Offshore wind turbines have cut out wind speeds of 90kph plus

It is rare that they will experience these wind speeds, and when they do, they're usually only above 90kph for a short time in any given location, and while those turbines may be shut down, the other turbines where the wind is only 80kph for example, would be producing a lot of power so they offset the shutdown of the turbines in the peak of the wind storm

Modern wind turbines can survive wind speeds higher than anything that would be expected in this part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you watched this video?

While I am sure the good Dr Connolly, and greens who watch it, are fisting the air in triumph - way to go ESB, that'll show them! - the reality is that video might as well be a solemn last rights for what you mistakenly consider to be 'sustainable' and the current insane course this country is on.

That video is a testament to how utterly mad Ireland's current plans - if you can call them that - are. It is financially unsustainable. I can't believe for five seconds that the good Dr believes that mountain of money she posits is climable. At 19:10 there is a slide which puts the ESB estimate of offshore wind capcaity needed to make H2 a proposition for a net zero grid, at 30 GW!

If you think I am exagerating my derision - that 15 GW of electrolysers alone, represents almost two years of total global production of Electrolysers as of 2021, being 8 GW per annum.

OSW in the UK, a far cheaper place to do it than Ireland will be, costs €2.838 billion per GW, that's €85.14 billion just for the generation infrastructure and before even considering all the H2 stuff.

This is all to keep a grid running, that maxed out, might need 8 GW at peak.

€85 billion would get you 20.54 GW from nuclear reactors. Or to put it another way, an expenditure of only €33.16 Billion is all that you would need for a 100% nuclear powered grid that is zero CO2, without any need to go faffing around with hydrogen and the billions more that would cost.

What about backup for that nuclear grid? Well given you have just saved yourself €52 billion, take your pick: 8 GW worth of gas turbines, with alternating platinum and gold plated blades, running on individually polished spherical diamond bearings, running in iridium races, all attended to by scantily clad elite fashion models - and it would still save billions. Actually, normal commercially available gas turbines would do for even greater savings.

And another thing - that 30 GW of Offshore wind capacity has a lifespan of only 20-30 years, making the real cost difference 2-3 times greater in reality - a NPP lasting 60 years.

And it gets worse - no really it does - OSW costs a small fortune in maintenance and repair, like 1.2 - 1.5c per kWh generated. I'm not bothered to go factoring in that as the cost discrepancies are so vast already, why bother?

As the President of the Irish institution of Engineers has said, Ireland should have a real debate about nuclear energy. And it shouldn't be behind closed doors the way this country likes to do things - do it on national TV, in public so the naked green emperors can be seen for what they are.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Id be glad to; you would likely be a century in the ground and the burden of having to live another 150 years to have the chore of standing over your grave, and saying 'I told you', before sauntering off, is one I'd gladly bear.

Some of it is, there will always be some failures of varying degrees, they're big machines with moving parts, but there are wind turbines out there today that have survived direct hits from category 5 hurricanes.

Of course, after the category 5 hurricane goes through it still takes days for the power to be restored to the grid because all of the other energy infrastructure goes down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I was being sarcastic.

I have been sick and tired for years listening to greens preaching. Holding Germany up as the example we should be following without question and in doing so flush our economy down the toilet, so it`s time they really took a look at Germany.

German has no intention of sacrificing their economy on the alter of the Green God. They never had. When push came to shove we see what Germany will do to to protect their economy. Burn anything they can get their hands on and to hell with the Green God.

Meanwhile the green muppets in Ireland are attempting to ignore that and still hold up Germany an example to follow. It`s nothing other than the by now all to familiar Irish green hypocrisy and should not go unchallenged. These muppets were allowed to go unchallenged for far too long and sleepwalked us into this make believe Nirvana of theirs. They need to be called out at every opportunity to prevent them doing even more harm than they have already inflicted. imho

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I know you were, Charlie. The thing with Germany is that they actually tried to get Green by halting their own fossil fuel and nuclear derived energy and just imported from Russia. Over the border pollution does not count you know. Germany has been on top of the Green agenda for many years and now they are paying the price. Their own coal is very dirty so gas imports were needed. That was an improvement in pollution levels but it made themselves vulnerable. Shutting nuclear a disaster. Mrs Merkel now looks in a very different light. Interestingly enough the UK always hammered on about energy security. I think they were right. We better stay friendly with them. Geography means more now. In fact the UK's dream of a great future after Brexit is now seriously in doubt. The world is getting smaller. Brexit's timing was off by about a decade.I suspect they will warm to the EU again instead of playing the independent card. Eating some humble pie atm.

'German has no intention of sacrificing their economy on the alter of the Green God. They never had.'.

I think you are wrong on that. Their politicians have been very incompetent, on every level..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

We just can't get off this merry-go-round:

Akrasia: Quit with the scaremongering about catastrophic consequences from temporary electricity blackouts. Do you know what is catastrophic? Greenland Ice sheets melting.

But Ireland's green extravaganza won't save any Greenland ice??? ...

Akrasia: We have a roadmap to get off fossil fuels. We need to accelerate this, not take giant leaps backwards because of fear mongering posts.

So it's not about saving Greenland. It's simply: "we have to get off fossil fuels because ... reasons". That says it all.

Akrasia: Yes it does say it all. You want Ireland to become a free rider and screw future generations. I thought you climate change deniers were against hypocrisy?

Nobody's denying climate change and it's not hypocrisy to point out that Ireland's efforts won't achieve anything. And if we're not achieving anything isn't that mere ideology??? ...

Akrasia: The ideology of not wanting large parts of our planet to become uninhabitable for humans.

But Irish emissions reductions won't affect that?

And around and around we go again. The presence or absence of Ireland's 0.1% of global emissions won't save the Greenland ice sheet, won't render the planet uninhabitable, won't screw future generations. It most definitely won't persuade anyone else to follow us down the path of failure. All that stuff is a figment of your imagination.

I would have no problem with Ireland contributing up to 1% of GDP to advanced nuclear research. If the world got on board with this we'd have nearly a trillion dollars a year to fund a Manhattan-style project. We could easily take multiple tracks on small modular nukes, thorium LFTRs and other next-gen fuel cycles, fusion, advanced safety systems, waste disposal and reprocessing, standardisation and regulatory reform. Note, this is not mere hopium as a minimum viable track only involves repackaging already existing technologies. More advanced innovations are likely, but would be icing on the cake.

If there really is a climate crisis then it's time to get serious. The only sustainable future is nuclear. Renewables will only get us more decades of Green whinging and obstructionism while we continue to fail, exactly the same as we have now. As the UK's Cost of Energy Review (2017) pointed out, all it has produced is a who's-who of the world's biggest financial vultures sucking on the public tit as they very rationally jump aboard the green gravy train.

• Advertisement

Great imagination you have, you'll have to show me where I said that as I've maintained all along that gas will be used as a transitional fuel source

Delete

Soooo, no plan for when the oil, gas and nuke fuel runs out, thanks for the clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Well what's yours? Stick a few wind turbines up and hope for the best?

It's been outlined multiple times, probably dozens at this point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

All of which that rely on technology that has quite a bit to go until operationally mature or simply doesn't exist. And that's before we even factor in how much it is going to cost.

I don't currently have plans on what to do with the €110 million win from Euromillions I'm bound to get any week now, but I'm sure I'll think of something when it happens.

Have you heard of Thorium? Sorry, did I just accidentally kill your specious position? I promise to be more careful next time.

Playing the peak oil card is such a low, I almost feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The promise was sweet: Germany's transition towards a low-carbon society would cost the average household no more than €1 ($1.1) per month, "the price of a scoop of ice cream," as Jürgen Trittin (Green party), then minister for the environment, put it in 2004. source

They have very expensive ice cream in Germany and the most expensive electricity in Europe.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

LOL. How did you imagine that transitional fuel source was going to be converted to energy. By feeding it to a windmill or spreading it over a solar panel ?

You were backing a campaign by a handful of nutters to prevent gas fired plants.

• Advertisement

Have you heard of Thorium?

Whats that word some folks like to use, hopeium?

How did I know the only arrow in your quiver would be one that is so expensive its not viable, has no commercial operations, creates toxic waste by the boatload and relies on a finite fuel supply.

Playing the peak oil card is such a low, I almost feel sorry for you.

Don't worry, gas and uranium have finite supplies too

Advertisement