Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding fuse board

• 04-10-2022 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

The main fuse board is in the house but there is a smaller one in a shed fed from the main one.

Does a solar pv system need to be wired to the main fuse board? I'm thinking the shed is behind the house so wiring would be out of sight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It depends is the best answer people here can give you. The main issue is the guage (thickness) of the cable supplying the secondary small fusebox. Your inverter for the solar panels can output 6kw, and that requires a fairly sizeable cable going back to the main fuse box. You could burn out your exissting cable and potentially start a fire if it's not rated for the current.

A spark would be able to tell easy enough, but I suspect you'll be routing a new seperate cable back to the main fusebox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I also have this exact same question and am hopeful that because the shed fusebox is catered especially for electrical equipment that it would be able to handle solar too, but probably best to get a sparky to confirm.

If everything above board though, all the household appliances/grid would then draw from the shed fusebox via the main fusebox on sunny days I gather?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

My Inverter is 2 consumer units away from my main consumer unit.

I do have 16mm2 going to them though.

Main consumer unit - Meal Shed consumer unit - Barn consumer unit - Solar inverter.

Its a straight inverter, no batteries so I didnt have to run CT's back to the main grid.

I know some installers are using a wireless transceiver (LoRA i think, Its transmitting the RS485 signal, not Raw CT signal) if they cant bring back a cat 6 cable for hybrid inverters.

The grid tie inverters always try to slightly exceed the grid voltage so anything that is not used by the house, is exported/put into batteries.~

House always gets priority.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

16mm2, lol, future proofing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

My issue is that the front of the house faces almost south but it's an old building with thick stone walls. Getting cables back to the main board would be a nightmare and they would be seen.

If we considered a smaller system the panels might possibly fit on the shed roof (southwest) and then put everything in the shed.

The fuse board in the shed currently runs power for light, socket, kerosene burner, water softening system and robot lawnmower.

• Advertisement

I not digging up the street again, Have a couple of cat6 over there too.

Also have a 2*2.2kw motors on a crusher down there, so we needed the extra power (you should see the current spike when they start, even under no load, about 100amps for a split second)

All depends on what cable size going out there.

Its likely only a 2.5mm2 cable, esp if its an old building.

Is there a minimum size the cable should be?

The house was fully rewired in 2011/2012 and the shed built around then also.

All depends on load, an indication of cable size is what size is the breaker that goes out there, if it's 32 you may be good

I have located it but I'm not sure. The trip switch has a few numbers on it. If I have uploaded the photo correctly it's the second last one on the bottom row.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That's a 20A MCB, so given the length is likely 2.5mm². You could probably fit a 3kW inverter on that cable, but I put any more on that.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's not so much distance of the cable, but the current going over it. As the lads above have said, that's a 20Amp breaker. So to avoid it tripping, I'd probably stay under 18Amps. which is (18 x 230) ~ 4.1Kw watts. So your max inverter size really is a 4kw with the existing cable.

You might get lucky though and the spark used a heavier cable than the 20A breaker alludes to, but that would be unlikely. Most electrians won't do that as heavier cables are more expensive. As in there's no need to spend money on a cable which doesn't have the load.

But don't be discouraged, most sparks are used to this type of stuff and can come up with a solution when they see your place, or put the inverter in the attic of your house etc.

Thanks. If the cable is as you and others have said I take it that I'm aiming for a max 4kw system subject to discussing with the installer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm hoping in my situation that if the cable is undersized for the solar system I'm planning on putting in (6.4KW), that the electrician will be able to use the current wire to pull through a thicker one without having to dig up anything.

Yes it would be great if that works. I am happy enough with a smaller system to start with, it will help us reduce the bill a little.

What is your views on a battery? Some do, some don't

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

I have a similar question relating to the topic on this thread, so I'm going to reopen it instead of starting a new one.

We currently have a small enough 3kw Huawei system setup with a 5kw battery and inverter in the attic of the main house.

I'm looking at ways to expand it so that I can cover more of the power that we use. I'm thinking about using a cabin that we have at the end of the garden about 15-20m from the house. Looking at a ground or roof mount in the vicinity of the cabin away from the house where there is more room.

The cabin is newly wired properly in 2022 with it's own consumer unit with space in it and from looking at the invoice looks like it was done with a 10mm SWA supply cable. It says overcurrent protection 40 amps. It also says main switch 63a.

Would I be able to connect another inverter, switches and panels to the consumer unit in the cabin?

If I did this, would the power generated on the new panel array at the cabin send power back to be used in the house?

Could the power generated by the new panel array also charge the battery and feed back excess to the grid or would the new inverter need to be cascaded with the other one to do this? I think the inverters would be a bit too far apart to cascade plus there may be additional extra wiring which would be tricky. The cabin was wired through a trench under the garden which is not really accessible any more.

last question is Huawei related, would I be able to see the generation and all of the usual details from the new array included in the overall figures in the app? Inverter not cascaded for this obviously.

Thanks in advance, I've been looking online a lot for the answers to these questions but they're not easy to find.

Inverters don't need to communicate, your for put another 3kW inverter and stay within the NC6.

It can be connected into your shed consumer unit without issue.

Some inverters can take the excess from other inverters and put it into the battery (as long as it's within the charge rate of the battery. Sofar, solis, sunsynk can do it for sure. But I have no experience with Huawei.

Worst case scenario is that 100% of the generation from the Huawei inverter will go into the battery, and the second inverter will do the house load and any excess is exported.

I'd love to hear if you followed up on the cabin idea

Advertisement