Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Like it or not, thanks to the strops thrown by SF and Donegal politicians of all hues, the mica problem is now a taxpayer problem. The government was wrong to cave in on the issue, but is right that the burden of payment should be shared and spread around. A levy on concrete blocks, an increase in LPT in the counties affected, a small increase in stamp duty on property transactions, are all ways that can be found to pay for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭fliball123

No like I said start with the political watch dogs both ex and current politicians and councilors who should of overseen better governance of this kind of work. Its time we hit the political class where it hurts their pocket. I bet if they were on the hook for the cost there would be a new found will to actually target the people who actually brought these blocks from quarry to the actual build.

Individuals are entitled to due process, you can't do that.

But we can just lump on cost to people who have no hand act or part in any of this. It can be done with the stroke of a pen, like the levy paid with the likes of the insurance levy a few years back for insurance companies. We can start there politicians including ex politicians pay and pensions after all they were supposed to be on watch while all of this went on

The insurance levy applied to an industry, not to individuals.

• Advertisement

It shows it can be done with regards to a scandal like this and for individuals I point you to the public sector pension levy where at the stroke of a pen all public sector employees finally had to contribute a bit to a pension they come no where near close to paying the full cost for. So it can be done and very quickly too.

Again, that was a universal measure, not one directed at individuals or small groups of individuals. You cannot single out a group of politicians, many of whom knew nothing about the mica issue.

No it wasn't it was on a subset of tax payers, who had a new levy imposed on them over night so it can and should be done in this case. Are you kidding your using an excuse that covers the vast majority of people your trying to impose the cost on. People paying property tax and people who are in the market for their first home didn't have anything to do with Mica yet you think they should pay and then you think you can apply this logic when you want to give others the expense and not apply it to people who are running the country and should of had more of a handle of what was going on with regards to safeguard and regulations. Your having a laugh aren't you. So lets start with all politicians both ex and current for a "mica lack of regulation levy".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Unfortunately insurance doesn't cover those type of structural defect (Home Bond doesn't either making it worthless). There is an argument made that those impacted before the building inspector (and waiver) regime came in should get a bail out (this was brought in after pyrite), but there is no one entity that can foot the bill, putting it on concrete (like we do for insurance bailouts via levy) seems to be about the best way to do it, but, let's be clear, it shouldn't have been needed at all. I do wonder if it will make it through the Dáil (they should attach a rider to it that there is no tax-payer funded mica redress fund without it and watch the TD squirm).

What about home insurance every time I have ever had to get a mortgage I have been told I needed home insurance by the bank, why can these insurance companies not cover this, surely if a house if falling down its covered if not then home insurance is not needed and insurance companies and banks should be held liable for every payment ever made.

• Advertisement

Home insurance doesn't cover everything. There are lots of exclusions in all insurance.

Politicians didn't make people buy cheap shoddy mica-infused blocks for their self-build McMansions either, so why should politicians bear the cost.

There was a political decision right across the spectrum that this burden be shared by the public. I disagreed with that, but there is no political party that reflected my view, the closest being FG who resisted the full bill.

Of all taxpayers, those who are renting and those who are homeless shouldn't have to bear the cost of fixing houses for those who own them. That means the fairest way of sharing the cost is through LPT increases. Again, if a particular county had a good inspection regime or careful purchasers of blocks and therefore only has a small mica problem, the LPT increase should be lower than in counties with a big liability. Therefore the costs per county should be recouped through LPT in those counties, as it is the least unfair way of getting the money from taxpayers.

Home insurance , home is falling down and is not covered. Well holy phuck what next car insurance , crash car into a mica house car now no longer covered under car insurance. I am pretty sure that if the house is falling down around your neck it should be covered and they should not be let out of it as its a cost imposed by banks when you drawdown your mortgage.

The majority of the tax payers out there didnt make these bricks either, your argument about the politicians can be used for every other tax payer with the exception of those who own and worked in the quarry and who built the properties, yet you have not bother giving them the cost, All of our politicians from country councils to Mehole and Leo should pay a levy they are in power and they are the people who govern our country with things like laws and regulation and these blocks did not get any due diligence with that regards, ergo its a failure of our political class. (one of many)

Of course the politicians will try and lump this onto tax payers sure its their creedo for decades, benchmarking ah sure the tax payer wont mind lets do it twice, welfare tourists chaching thanks mr tax payer and sure we know we didnt build enough social houses over the last 2 decades but lets chuck another 50/60k refugees into the clusterphuck that is our housing crisis, bank bail out 64 billion no bother to the tax payer chaching, public sector pay rises this year meaning more for the politicians again and not the once of measures but actually bedding into our costs annually which will actually increase our difficulties with inflation- ah mister tax payer we only spent 90billion+ this year surely we can break the 100billion mark before we are voted out. Now this another 3 to 6 Billion on top. How many more phuck ups do you want the tax payer to pay for?

The fair way is to wake those in power up and let them lead by example. Going back on a previous discussion with you about carbon tax, all cars should be taken from the politicians they should be given electric bikes and then their pay should have a "mica lack of regulation levy" put on them. You know let them lead the way by sacrificing first the tax payer has already been bleed dry.

And is that the same with builders indemnity insurance?

The way you get rid of politicians and punish them is you vote them out.

And they walk off with a gold plated pension not much of a punishment is it now really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lets single out new home buyers then. How fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭atticu

So, concrete is only used to build new houses.

I didn’t know that.

• Advertisement

Didn't someone complain recently that there were more financial institutions buying apartments last year than first time homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"finally had to contribute"...............ignoring that most PS have always being paying 6.5% pension contributions.

I'm sure you know this, as I've told you enough times.

The 10% PRD is *on top of*, as well as, the normal 6.5% pension contributions.

The builders insurance doesn't cover defective bricks, insurance was just not liable in these cases, the liabilty fell onto the producers which immediately went bang and folded as they wouldn't be able to cover a fraction of the cost.

But look, if it somehow fell onto insurance, then there would have to be an insurance levy to pay for it instead as happened when Quinn et al went bang before.

A proper inspection and testing process should have been in place, when it was put in place, heels were dragged and it was made optional.

The message here is if you pay a builder to build a house or business and it collapses around you, tough.

This played out in public, the opposition folded immediately and wanted an unlimited tax payer funded bail out, then the government with a more limited bail out.

And with the career average scheme, there actually are doubts that it will pay out in the long run as much as people put in.

Read what I said I said they make a contribution that does not cover the full cost which is true which I have told you before as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,349 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Correct, and it is appropriate and entirely correct that the employees contribution should not cover the full cost.

Because the employer contributes also, like in practically all pension schemes.

The weakness in your argument is the use of the word "full".

You suggest/imply that the employee should cover the full cost of their pension.

Should this be the case in the Siemens/AIB/Vodafone/ALDI pension schemes?

The implication of your suggestion is that employer contributions should not be allowed?

I feel you may reply: "but these companies aren't making losses, whereas the State often runs a Budget deficit".

I reply with two points:

(1) firms do continue with employer pension conts even through loss-making periods

(2) I support any call from you to reduce Budget deficits, via spending restraint/less waste, etc., For example, if you suggest higher pension conts from staff to reflect the true cost of their pensions, I could agree with you. I suggest a 33ee/66er split, or maybe 40ee/60er. If you could show that staff conts are not that high, then I agree that they should increase.

There are not many defined benefit schemes out there at all. This has been pointed out to you over and over again and you still moan about having to pay a bit more for pensions that what you pay still comes no where near covering the cost and the fact that the vast majority of the private sector cannot afford to put by for their own at all. Give it over ye fool ye its not right at all pay for your own pensions please and give the tax payer back that tax and let them in a lot of cases start their own pensions. Also your right those private sector companies that do provide some of the pension costs are generally not 240 billion in debt.

As I said, builders insurance wouldn't cover supply defects like this (being angry about it doesn't change this fact), the builder would also liquidate the company as it would be much cheaper than paying out (and many of the builders have long since disappeared anyway, so you're only penalising those that stuck around) it also doesn't cover the self builds where no builder is involved. The government is the only recourse most of the people effected can engage with, rightly or wrongly.

The worst thing is that an inspection system (which would have tested the bricks) was brought in after the pyrite scandal but was made optional via a waiver system, those that signed the waiver are still being bailed out by the taxpayer.

The opposition are pushing for unlimited bailouts for those affected, so be careful how you vote (if this is an important issue at poll time). There is a big thread on the Donegal forum that goes into all the details.

(I'm personally in favour of a limited bailout to a standard sized house rather than a like for like replacement of what they had).

The builders are gone, and the supplier went bust, there is no one to chase down for cash other than the government.

The waiver system is now no longer a waiver system (apparently), the waiver system itself was a sop to rural TD's and self-builders.

But this is just explaining the facts about the case rather than ranting and expecting a non-existent entity to pay, everyone agrees it shouldn't have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Children's hospital to open by end 2024 at the earliest (rte.ie)

An Oireachtas committee has been told that the earliest potential opening for the new children's hospital is the end of 2024.

The new National Paediatric Hospital will be substantially complete by March 2024, the builders have said. At that time, it will be handed over to Children's Health Ireland for a period of commissioning.

The National Paediatric Hospital Development Board (NPHDB) has said that the spend on the hospital up to August was €1.1 billion.

The Government approved a budget of €1.4 billion in 2018.

In a statement for today's Joint Committee on Health, the development board said that definitive updates on costs cannot be provided at this time as it is a live contract.

The committee heard that there are 989 claims from the contractor still in play to be resolved but that a moratorium on claims had been agreed to allow the project progress.

Social Democrats Health Spokesperson Róisín Shortall said she was concerned that delaying the resolution of claims could have implications for the opening of the hospital and the final costs.

-----------------

Will they even finish it before the election? This is the FG legacy. The final costs will be enormous.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement