Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Why would any one bit for a company especially a company the size of Twitter with due diligence. Normally executives arrive in with an army of accountants, and auditors and spend days or even weeks going through the books.

Anybody that fails to do that is a twit. Musk problem is after he bid the price of tech stock fell.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Im fully aware of that, thats why i made the distinction in my post. But fake accounts and bots are part of the same problem, all that differs is the bots have automated the bullshit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For any platform the challenge is to find the balance between security and ease of access.

In terms of bots , not all of them are bad per se - Lots of companies use them to help engagement by having a bot scanning looking for people talking about their company/products and engaging with them to help before handing off to a human.

Block those and you get less companies using the site , leading to less visits and less advertising

Could you block all bots?

Probably , but to do so would require you to put up significant barriers to access - like validating ID before access is allowed etc.

The more complicated and time consuming you make the sign-up process , the less likely people are to use the site.

Finding that balance is extremely hard and in general companies will choose easier initial access over heavy account vetting as volume of visits is critical to their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The biggest issue is around politics on Twitter. Why don't they make the political party responsible for the actions of their online supporters etc.

Instead you have parties promoting supporters to run multiple accounts and to abuse people online.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That’s like trying to make parties responsible for what their members say in the pub or on the street. Impossible to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Judge doesn't allow Musk's motion to delay the trial. Twitter V Musk trial set for October.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Be nice if this trial somehow ruined Twitter. I genuinely struggle to find enough positives in the thing to outweigh just how rancid it has made online - and offline - life these days.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed , the best outcome for this trial is that Musk is forced to pay a very large chunk of cash as compensation for backing out of the deal and Twitter is so badly damaged by the whole shambles that it just withers and dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Let them fight.gif Would be nice to see Facebook go down the shitter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭BigRighysteria

Delete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pretty sure Facebook is circling the drain anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Facebook is on borrowed time; it's a functional irrelevance below a certain age bracket (a bracket that's only going to increase), and that "Meta" is now as much WhatsApp and Instagram as the parent product speaks volumes. But insta kinda nuked a lot of small to medium creative accounts thanks to their recent pivot to "Reels" and overall algorithm-focused approach.

I'd say commercial and business accounts are probably the main thing keeping it alive.

I don't get the impression Twitter is suffering similar demographic issues, but its reputation is slowly eroding. And if there was one good thing about Musk's idiotic power play, it shed more light on the service's toxicity and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Meta is a good buying opportunity, price is 12 times earnings, so it's almost a value stock, plenty of cash in meta. I never get why adults get so upset with Twitter, I get that social media in general can be toxic for teenagers and other vulnerable people but at the end of the day, none of it is real, as an adult you can just not use it, if the negatives outweigh the benefits. I think people lose perspective, I still see these things as like bebo when I was college student, they're just toys, it's not reality, what happens there has no value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

12 times earnings seems good. However earnings are dependent on advertising stream. It similar with a lot of tech stocks. If the Twitter/Musk controversy could damage all tech stocks. You could see advertising streams half. You have other negatives as well with inflation riding company's will want to cut costs. Advertising is an easy cut and saves straight away in a lot of cases

Slava Ukrainii

I guess a lot depends on how much laundry gets brought out during the trial.

Details of the function of their algorithm , clarity on the Bot numbers , details on their editorial/review process.

Who knows what kind of info might come out that would be damaging to the business model.

Yeah a recession is definitely the head wind but personally I think us recession is overblown, I still think they might avoid technical recession, they have huge advantages with dollar strength and access to energy that Europe clearly does not. Having said that meta revenue is geographically distributed so exchange rates on foreign income won't be great for them. I still see it as a valuable company though, the last advertising streams that will be cut are meta and google because they are the most cost effective and the sales generated are well measured and known. Reels has been going well, metaverse I have no idea, I kind of despise the idea, would have to ethically hold my nose to buy meta to be honest but that is actually probably another indicator that it is good value.

Looks like Musk is countersuing Twitter. Apparently the details are confidential so haven't seen the argument made in the filing. Presumably something more compelling than "Lol was only messin'"

Twitter's filing has been unsealed and some of the arguments have been fairly aggressive, and enlightening as to just how ludicrous this scenario has been.

The item I found especially interesting was the claim the tool Musk used to identify bots ... had identified Musk's own account as a bot 🤭

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Musk wins and is allowed to back out how long will it take Twitter to ban him from the site or do they need him there to help drive traffic to it.

It's interesting that you can still buy Twitter stock....very tempting.....

Reports that Musk is now proposing to go ahead with the Twitter deal at the previously agreed price. Sounds like he knows he's likely to lose his legal case so is willing to buy Twitter to avoid a very public loss.

If not, the case is due to start Oct.17th.

That and the fact that the case would expose even more of his internal behaviours - What little we've seen already do not paint him in anything close to a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Trump will be delighted at this news if hes 100% considering another presidential run. He'll be back on his most powerful mouthpiece in no time.

Nah, I'm sure Truth Social is going to really take off any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,547 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So you can't say anything you want and it will be filled full of ads

Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape, where anything can be said with no consequences!

"In addition to adhering to the laws of the land, our platform must be warm and welcoming to all, where you can choose your desired experience according to your preferences, just as you can choose, for example, to see movies or play video games ranging from all ages to mature.

"I also very much believe that advertising, when done right, can delight, entertain and inform you; it can show you a service or product or medical treatment that you never knew existed, but is right for you.

"For this to be true, it is essential to show Twitter users advertising that is as relevant as possible to their needs.

"Low relevancy ads are spam, but highly relevant ads are actually content!

"Fundamentally, Twitter aspires to be the most respected advertising platform in the world that strengthens your brand and grows your enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

• Advertisement

Well , to be fair he spent quite a bit of time and money trying to get out of the deal and only dropped the lawsuit when it became publicly embarrassing for him and his rich friends as part of discovery etc.

So thinking that he didn't really want to buy it were never that far from the truth.

Also - Why did he bring a sink with him to the Twitter HQ yesterday??

He is a very odd human being , that much is certain..

Advertisement