Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cohabiting Couples - Sleep with partner or sleep in different bed?

• 04-10-2022 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

A few times lately due to illnesses etc, have had cause to sleep in a different bed from my wife. Whilst I love sharing a bed with her 70% of the time, it's so nice sometimes to catch up on some sleep alone, spreading out and generally hogging a bed for yourself.

I know a few couples who have separate bedrooms, and I'm talking couples under 45. Is it more common than we talk about? Each to their own? Whats your situation?

Cohabiting Couples - Sleep with partner or sleep in different bed? 145 votes

Share bed with partner
    71%
    Hellrazerjesus_thats_greGregor SamsamarkpbAlkersHighlanderfondadinjo99Aisling(",)GLaDOSJimmy BottleheaddjdunnyHenry Ford IIIDubDaniBlowfishmiameeh3000afatbollixAckwelFoleytheteal 104 votes
    Sleep in different room than partner
    15%
    JupiterKidmct1CKrulesmessrswenchGlebeed1980PsychobabbleblackwaveigCorcaighGrandeeodKYteachCELBRIDGE HOOPtimmyntcSmartinMartinquokulaMarty BirdSortingYouOutTommysocks11Jarren1 23 votes
    Share bed with partner (but wish I didn't)
    5%
    maniac2003xtal191trigger26CrescentFormosaFoggy JewThelonious MonkPadre_Pio 8 votes
    Sleep in different room than partner (but wish I didn't)
    0%
    Geuze 1 vote
    Other (elaborate in comments!)
    6%
    victor8600amdublinmayo_ladMister Vain[Deleted User]Falken1[Deleted User]global23214124Wezz 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I haven't a partner but if I did I would not like to have to share a bed all the time.

I did it before and i find I can never get a proper night sleep with someone else tossing and turning around beside me and restricting my space.

I don't even get the idea of it. it makes no sense to me. Everyone should have your own bed to get a proper night's undisturbed sleep.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Share bed with partner

Bought a huge Super King Size bed when she was pregnant with twins (and we already had another kid) about 10 years ago. Best thing ever. Loads of space for each of us, but we're also not on our own.

I put in "Other" in the poll, for this reason.

SuperKing Bed will resolve amost everything other than snoring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Share bed with partner

I'd often sleep in the spare room, if one of us is feeling ill or I'm working a spell of nights on site and we aren't getting in and out of bed at the same time.

It doesn't mean we're any less close or having less sex during those times, its just practical to make sure both of us gets a good rest and 90% of the time we're in our own bed together anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

When I first start seeing my wife, she was renting in a place with a 4ft double bed, not even the standard double bed width. Terrible! Talk about sleeping on top of each other!

• Advertisement

Ha same. Vowed never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If on occasion we need to sleep separately, I hang a hammock in the bedroom.

She finds it uncomfortable but soon cops herself on and gets back in the bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You missed an option, separate beds in same room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Share bed with partner

Sometimes I wake up grumpy.

Other times I let her sleep in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Share bed with partner

I can see why it works for some people but for me, I prefer the intimacy (and spontaneity, sex-wise) of having my partner in the bed with me. Generally go to bed at the same time too.

It is hard getting used to having another person in the bed if you've been single a long time, though. And definitely, the bigger the bed, the easier it is. Buy the biggest one you can possibly afford people! But man, super king-size bedlinen is expensive and changing the bed is definitely a two-person job.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Share bed with partner

Had a king size bed and mattress needed replacing so we decided to change to a Super King sized bed with as good a mattress we could afford. He can change position in bed without bothering me and we still have our own space as well as being able to roll over and have a chat and a cuddle….

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The solution for those that like sleeping together but also like the independence of a single bed is perhaps a German style double bed. German double beds have two separate mattresses and two sets of bed clothes side by side in the same bed frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Share bed with partner

If Im really sick or stomach is really upset I sleep in the guest room. Its extremely rare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Vita nova

That was the standard couples' sleeping arrangement in US TV shows in the 50s and 60s. It was considered risqué to show a couple in the same bed. The Brady Bunch (1969-'74) was one of the first TV shows where a couple was shown in the same bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Same (large) room, different beds. Better quality sleep than when sharing the same bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wezz

I voted Other. We have a spare room that one of us uses from time to time. My girlfriend is a doctor and works different hours to me some weeks and so if she is on a tough rotation or just feeling burnt out one of us will take the spare. I love sharing a bed but I feel, and she would agree, that we have a better night's sleep when we sleep apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Since we've had a baby one of us will be in the bedroom with him and one of us in the main bedroom. He's 18 months now so trying to get him to settle in a room on his own but haven't managed it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Falken1

We have a superking mattress, it was quite expensive as we opted for half firm for my partner and my side is medium firmness. You can't feel the other move during the night. We also have separate duvets. Best decision ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Share bed with partner

Always sleep together unless we're fighting. Then I sleep on the couch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Share bed with partner

It's a share here....but I will admit I don't hate when she's on a night shift 🤫

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We share a bed but also have a spare room, which I need to clear. But it has been used before when one of us is sick. Wife has a bad cold at the moment, and she goes to bed before me. She's really bunged up at the moment and the snoring was something else the other night. I was wishing I had cleared the spare room as I would have gone in there. Will definitely be sorting it this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

So I know someone who used to sleep in different rooms. At xmas dinner one year they were trying to convince the whole family "you know don't you all do that too, it is nicer having your own space like isn't it?" Everyone was looking at them like, eh no you weirdos just share a bed like most married couples do.

New year comes and they are out bed shopping. They bought two single beds for their shared room. Pushed together with one duvet on top.

I guess whatever works for you!

Have done the separate blanket thing quite a bit, it's the best.

I like to sleep all wrapped up like a burrito. The missus likes to throw it off her now and then or hold on to it as she rolls over, pulling it away from me. I haaaate a draught down my back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

Share bed with partner

I’ll second this. King size bed was the best purchase ever and not for any other reason but the extra space!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CKrules

All about the bed divorce.

Try it. Your life will be changed forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Light the fire , wrap yourself up in a sleeping bag and if she's roaring and shouting upstairs imagine she's a bear and you're camping in the wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I sleep in a spare room.....pregnant wife and a 2 year old.....

Sleep is the most important thing in my life!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

We have always slept in the same bed although, even though it's a king size, I'm generally to be found on my side clinging perilously to the very edge of the mattress. Sometimes I fall off which is a decidedly unpleasant way to wake up.

Something peculiar frequently ails Himself during sleep and he twitches and jerks, pedals and kicks, with the occasional flailing arm thrown in for good measure.

I've been clattered about the head many times by a windmilling hand, and kicked and kneed in the legs and back.

I do get a bit cross sometimes but He cannot help it and is mortified if I tell Him. I probably would sleep in another bedroom if we had a spare but we don't and I'm not kipping on the sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

I wonder what the average age of people responding is.

Is spontaneous sex really still a thing after kids and a decade or two years together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

If I ever move in with someone it will be one king size bed. I love my partner but I get too warm in the bed with someone else, can't sleep right and in all honesty, I am the tosser and turner. Same time I like waking upto her and having the chats before we nod off to sleep. As well as the more intimate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

Share bed with partner

It goes away for a few years when the kids are young but comes back after that if a bit of effort is made to relight it. It's just a reality that a great sex life demands energy and small kids just drain that energy day and night. Obviously if you're a couple with lots of family support like grandparents who can look after them every now and then it's different.. but for those like ourselves who literally have no one.. there's a 36 month survival period where getting more than 6 hours sleep is just the priority.

• In middle of night I tend unconsciously to pull bedclothes off anyone I would sleep with. Bed has to be king size and bedclothes very generous 😁

• Advertisement

40s

Very much yes

King is too small. Super king is the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Share bed with partner

I'm child free by choice 🤷‍♀️

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I am a very loud snorer and I also shift around in my sleep a lot - and steal the duvet as the night goes on....😁😳

So my OH regularly sleeps in the spare bedroom in a double bed to get a good night's sleep - we have a King size in the main bedroom. We are a same-sex male couple - me 47, him 57.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭getoutadodge

Separate rooms for work days/nites ...and equally important... separate bathrooms. After growing up with three sisters...never again!

Plus never enter my man shed.

Civilised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'd be in favour of sleeping in different houses never mind beds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

she feels nice, nice skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Both here. We each have our own separate bedrooms. But who ends up in which room on any given night can come down to any number of factors.

The most obvious one is distance between sleep times. If one has already gone to bed ages before me I would tend not to bustle into the room waking them up getting into the bed. Happily go to my own room in that case. And vice versa.

Or if one of us has something to get up early for - would tend to let them go off and sleep in peace alone even if going to bed at the same time. Which has the added benefit of the person getting up particularly early not disturbing the others.

Plus variety is always good. Not always doing the same thing every night means nothing ever fully becomes routine and taken for granted. And sure - sometimes you just want to be alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Advertisement