Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘Emerging’ Ireland LiteAce Tour '22 v Griquas Sep30 12:45, v Pumas Oct5 4pm, v Cheetahs Oct9 12pm KO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Do Munster have a skills coach?

Lawler at Connacht

Newby at Ulster

Leinster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Scott Penny loves a try from the back of a maul.

Has excellent leg drive and can get down low enough to power through a tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

That was a nice try there. Good hands and passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭phily2002

Lovely hands for the last try there and earlier on as well, he's a classy player

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

28-7 at half time to Ireland.

Penny has two tries and Baloucoune and Wycherley have added the others. Scrappy poor game, quite disjointed.

We look a lot better and dangerous, but scrappy at the same time and an expected amount of errors.

Tom Clarkson has struggled in the scrum generally.

He's an excellent player who suffers the misfortune of VDF waking up one morning and deciding to be the best open side flanker in world rugby.

Ahern and McCarthy have performed very well as a partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Has the stream died for anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Anyone else's stream frozen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tonyfillony

Yup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Skills Coach is usually passing accuracy and kicking rather than what Sean O'Brien is doing (contact skills) which is more about body position in the tackle etc, how to turn in a tackle to get an extra yard after being tackled etc.

Leinster have Emmet Farrell who is a kicking coach but they don't seem to have a skills coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,466 ✭✭✭✭phog

I hope Andy Farrell isn't watching this on a stream like the rest of us.

• Advertisement

We're back in business...nearly had to go and do a bit of work!

Just in time for a cracking try!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Great time for it to come back to life. Lovely try. Crowley and Moore going very well.

Moore may have been in touch before he got it down!

Crowley's kicking from the tee has been very impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

He's had some lovely out of hand too. Good day for him.

Some good performances and some good looking combinations out there. Crowley was composed and tidy; really like how he bossed this game.

Second row looked good, and back rowers were comfortably better than Griquas.

In the backs, Moore, Osborne and Daly looked good for me.

Most impressive was probably how they defended. Looked good and organised, despite not much time together in camp. Griquas had some pace about them, and tried to move it about a lot but we defended very comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well the title is contact skills alright. I always assumed that covered everything that wouldn’t be a speciality like kicking, throwing in and scrummaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭TRC10

If Frawley played half as well as Jack Crowley did, he'd be getting anointed as Sexton's successor. So you'd have to think Crowley is now in pole position to start 10 for Ireland 'A' v New Zealand, and possibly for the Fiji game. Otherwise, what's the point in this?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Well Crowleys next step up is to shine at the same level against the cheetahs the coming Sunday.

should he look as composed and comfortable that that level, then the next step is ireland A i would imagine

I think Flannery will probably start on Sunday

edit: Apologies, Pumas on Wednesday, Cheetahs next Sunday. I meant to say Flannery will start on Wednesay.

Frawley played well against the MABs which is, on paper, a much tougher opponent than Griquas. Now Crowley must show he can go up the levels against better sides. That's a good challenge. If he does, it's up to Frawley to respond. No need to be so snide about this entire exercise.

On the topic of good performances I thought McCarthy, Aherne and Crowley were the standouts. But everyone played well enough. Some nice touches from Deegan and Penney especially too.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

McCarthy has a lot of presence.

Salanoa's scrummaging was encouraging. I'd say he could be the next cab off the rank after Furlong, Bealham and O'Toole now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Serbian

I really don't think so. He's behind Archer and Knox at Munster, never mind Ireland, and he has never started a professional game of rugby in his career.

Emerging Ireland is good, but it is a lower standard than provincial rugby. Very few players are going to go from this to full international honours — some of these players will never be capped at international level, and that's fine. If Salanoa or anyone else wants to get to fourth choice for Ireland, realistically they're going to have to consistently break into their provincial squads first.

The main benefit for Salanoa specifically is he might get a look in at Ireland A since the coaches haven't gotten a close look at Knox yet, but I don't think he'll be considered for that either.

I'm just taking them at their word. By taking guys from the provinces to play in this tour, they've essentially said "this is more important than playing for your province and this is how you get into the Ireland team, not by impressing for your province". They took a guy who scored a hat trick vs Toulouse, to play a Griquas B team, instead of him playing v Leinster.

They've also said explicitly that guys who impress on this tour will get a chance in that 'A' game. And if Frawley had played half as well as Crowley did today, he'd be getting hyped up to no end by everyone and would certainly be starting that 'A' game. So if they're true to their word, Crowley will start now v New Zealand XV. It's hardly snide to take them at their word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He certainly isn't behind Archer and Knox. He was given a 3 year contract extension because he is being prepared to be Munster's number 1 tighthead

Archer was retained as cover, he won't be starting any games where Knox and Salanoa are both available (which is why this tour is so annoying from a provincial player development perspective)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭theVersatile

To be fair, Salaonoas lack of selection has been more down to his injury proneness than anything else.

He looked lively today to give him credit

EDIT: LIVELY, NOT LOVELY

Maybe in time, but he has literally never started ahead of either of them, whether that's down to injury, lack of fitness or just not being ready, so for now he is behind them. I'd imagine he'll get ahead of Archer at the very least this season, but he's in a battle with Knox.

Also worth noting that Munster had the choice of keeping Knox or Salanoa for this block of fixtures and they picked Knox.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Do we know for sure the Pronvinces were given these kind of choices? I think it’s likely but I don’t think I’ve seen it confirmed anywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bernard Jackman mentioned Munster’s choice between Salanoa and Knox specifically on The 42’s rugby podcast. Not guaranteed he knows for sure but I assume he’s somewhat in the know there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

His arse must be jealous of his mouth with the amount that comes out of it.

Can't shake the feeling of the pointlessness of these games but I think it was all made worthwhile for just how lovely Salaonoas looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's tiresome but you making up their words is not taking them at their word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Emerging Ireland team to play Pumas

• 15. Chay Mullins (Connacht/IQ Rugby)
    • 14. Ethan McIlroy (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
    • 13. Antoine Frisch (Munster)
    • 12. Cathal Forde (Connacht/Corinthians)
    • 11. Andrew Smith (Leinster/Clontarf)
    • 10. Jake Flannery (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
    • 9. Michael McDonald (Ulster)
    • 1. Callum Reid (Ulster/Banbridge)
    • 2. Diarmuid Barron (Munster/Garryowen)
    • 3. Roman Salonoa (Munster/Shannon)
    • 4. Cormac Izuchukwu (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
    • 5. Brian Deeny (Leinster/Clontarf)
    • 6. Cian Prendergast (Connacht)(captain)
    • 7. John Hodnett (Munster/UCC)
    • 8. James Culhane (Leinster/UCD)

Replacements:

• 16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Connacht/Corinthians)
    • 17. Josh Wycherley (Munster/Young Munster)
    • 18. Sam Illo (Connacht/Buccaneers)
    • 19. Tom Ahern (Munster/Shannon)
    • 20. David McCann (Ulster/Banbridge)
    • 21. Ben Murphy (Leinster/Clontarf)
    • 22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)
    • 23. Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nice chance for Cathal Forde to make an impression.

Interested to see Denney in action.

McDonald any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Very excited to see Chay Mullins at 15, was a class act for the u20s on the wing.

Connacht need a full back too. So it will be interesting to see how he goes.

I wonder if that came into the selection decision. I'd have thought McIlroy at 15 and Mullins on the wing made more sense.

McIlroy is a fantastic player. His rugby IQ is outstanding, he reads the game brilliantly, has great feet and skills and is a seriously good defender. But probably lacks the top end speed to be a winger at the top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Nice to see Prendergast get the captain's arm band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think this tour is designed to give the coaches something to do.....

None of this squad will be in the WC next year....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

These arguments are hilarious because people assume it's black and white and nail their colours to the mast without even an iota of understanding at how far high performance athletes and coaches will go to find the 1% extra performance.

At the top that is all that is set apart. Tiny margins swinging one way or the other influencing the result.

So in this context there are a few arguments as to why this is actually a good idea and people like you are too narrow minded to consider and too arrogant to see that there are legitimate valid arguments to this.

1) Why does it have to go to the world cup? These guys could stake a claim in the Autumn Internationals, 6 Nations, Warm ups etc. They take confidence from this tour. Take it back to their province, force themselves into the European squads and have some good performances. 2 injuries and a dip in form could see some of these guys on the fringes of the wider Ireland squad. They come in having already been in the environment so they're ready to rock from day 1. They know the calls, systems, expectations, culture, everything. So they come in and perform. All of a sudden the senior players look over their back a little bit more because there is a fella that came out of nowhere ready to grab that jersey at a moments notice. That drives standards even higher. Doesn't matter if it's rugby or chess. Competition drives standards up. Increase the standard of competition, increase the standard.

2) All it takes is an injury/ suspension/ loss of form among one or 2 players for us to be a bit stuck. The world cup is a very attritional tournament. Why not mitigate against the risk of a guy coming in totally cold by bolstering it with a group of players who know what is expected of them. In knock out rugby, all it takes is one missed tackle, one fella half a meter out of position, one player running the wrong line, one player slightly out of sync with their unit for the game to completely swing around. It's the 1%. It's the fine margins. Why not mitigate against this by doubling the amount of players that can come into the squad at a moments notice and be able to perform the very second they're asked to??

3) Why not start a culture? Why not start a new way of doing things?? Yes the World Cup 2023 might be a bit far for these guys. But I guarantee you there isn't a single person in that squad who believes it. So give them that hunger. Give them that drive. 2027 is not that far away. There will be a significant shift in playing personnel. These fellas can aim for that. Why make it world cup cycle a hard 4 years when we can change how we do the cycle? Give these guys an extra year in the development?? Let them hone that disappointment of missing out on 2023 by redoubling their efforts to force themselves into the reckoning of 2027

people like you are too narrow minded to consider and too arrogant to see that there are legitimate valid arguments to this.

Why would anyone bother reading a post after reading this in the opening paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think you'll find it was in the third paragraph ;)

Rather than correcting my mistake you could have apologised and try make good your op

• Advertisement
Advertisement