Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake off 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Rebs can't really argue about going home, she hasn't been good any week so far. I did think Carole should have went over James

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised Carole stayed and James went. James' Show stopper must have been very bad

Reckon he'll have a meltdown if he doesn't get star baker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thought the judges got it right this week in terms of who goes, Rebs simply had to go, she was awful. The amount of tears shown after was the icing on the cake (not that we've seen many of them this year mind) James v Carole was 50:50 but he's had little in the way of decent bakes across the series so far & didnt seem at all surprised to be fair & took it reasonably well (unlike Rebs!)

Agree that the cookery over baking content so far has been frustrating, I sincerely hope we're done with that now & we get back to the cakes filled with sugar, fruit & chocolate from here on in!! I usually crave all kinds of goodies when watching, that hasn't happened this year at all.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Rebs was overdue to go home, lucky she stayed as long as she did and if she had been on last week's episode she'd have gone then.

Dawn really stood out to me in last night's show - she'd been under my radar in the last few weeks but I thought she came out of the shadows yesterday.

I don't really know where they were going with the Mexican theme - I get that the producers want to change it up a bit. I'd love them to set a few "easy" challenges, particularly in the technical - something that seems basic and simple, that they should be able to do with their eyes closed but where no room for error is allowed, should be perfectly baked, eg soda bread, profiteroles, scones, victoria sponge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They gave a glimpse of the instructions for next week's technical. Your wish will be answered 😅😅😅

Post edited by Princess Calla on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, that's a great recipe. At least I know what I'm eating during next week's show. I have one in the freezer, so it will be an easy bake. 😂

☺️ I hadn't a clue I was such an influence on the show!! Actually I switch off the program before they do the "next week" spiel.

I thought you might, which is why I tried to keep it vague 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

I had a look back over the first few seasons to see what kinds of things the contestants were originally added to bake and it was way simpler and themed around regular bakes (things like victoria sponges, breads, tarts, puddings etc).

Nowadays I think they're eager to keep things fresh and concocting all kinds of weird ideas that dont always make a pile of sense (bread week this year was very odd). Plus the overall standard expected seems very high for what are meant to be amateur bakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In fairness, the standard of contestant has gone through the roof as well.

It's like all these shows - the first couple of series, everyone is all wide-eyed and innocent, and it's all good clean fun - and then they all start copping on what's involved and what they need to be going in with, everyone is all gimlet-eyed and the game gets upped and upped until all the fun is gone out of it.

Well, nearly all the fun. This year's bunch are a nice lot in fairness.

I'd say if you presented them with a show requiring signatures of scones, a technical of a mandarin flan, and a showstopper of a victoria sponge birthday cake, none of them would even know where to start!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

Ha possibly, I'd love to see a week where its more classic recipes rather than off the wall stuff just to see what would happen.

Although as you say with the level of bakers maybe it'd be too hard to tell them apart in a meaningful sense. Either way, I don't expect it'll get any easier!!

Yes that's it. If you got them to do something like a victoria sponge - how many of them might not get something seemingly straight forward and simple done right. Who would be trying to show off but then not get the basics right or understand the baking process. IMO with the basics there isn't really any room for error and nowhere to hide.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I listened to the Sticky Bun Boys podcast yesterday and they said that yes the two had had covid that week. In case anyone hasn't listened to it, it's David the winner from 2019 and Michael who also competed in 2019. It's an easy listen with lots of innuendo and discussion of the episodes. They weren't too impressed with Mexican week either!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've only just caught up on this week's episode, I enjoyed the showstopper this time around, the hidden surprise in the mousse. I think the right person went and she was lucky she made it even to this week. She really needed to pull something special off today to stay but it didn't happen for her unfortunately. The Halloween episode next week might be a bit of fun! Wonder if they'll do a barm brack 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Good choices in Sadro as top baker and the elimination (Carole) this week.

Its hard to see beyond a top 3 of Januz, Maxy and Sandro. Those three seem streets ahead of the pack IMO.

I agree I think one of the three of those will win. Hard to say which one yet though.

Well the GBBO producers listened to me and put in a seemingly easy technical with little or no instruction! And it did what it was supposed to IMO.

I agree that Janusz, Maxey and Sandro are ahead of the rest at the moment.

Listened to one or two episodes of that podcast mentioned above Sticky Boys Buns - good for a little opinion and recap of the episodes.

Halloween episode might be interesting, as someone else said barm brack. Maybe something with apples, or could they go all American with Pumpkin pie (is that even made with pumpkin?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

With all the pumpkins in the shops at Halloween, I've never to met anyone who has actually tasted one. They seem to just get carved and then ditched. As it is an actual food, that's a terrible waste.

I use mine to make pumpkin soup. Bit of chilli added and batch frozen. It's a real winter warmer for lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've heard that the pumpkins sold for carving are a different variety to what goes into a pumpkin pie, for example, and that they're not particularly good to eat. I think in the States most people use canned pumpkin for pies.

What did everyone think of Halloween night? I liked the apple cake challenge and the showstopper, wasn't too excited about the smores technical at all. I think the right person went this week, I thought it would be between Kevin and Dawn and I was right. I see Janusz is still relying on his drip style for decorating cake, he has done it on multiple cakes at this stage. I am surprised Paul or Prue haven't mentioned it yet! I still think he is in with a good chance of winning or being in the final.

Post edited by miamee on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hadn't heard that before. Wonder which varieties are grown here, or imported? Sorry for being OT now.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/can-you-eat-carved-pumpkins/

I'd heard that about Hallowe'en pumpkins as well. Still seems like a shocking waste.

I enjoyed this week's bakes - too many of the apple cakes seemed to be more desserts than cake, though.

I was delighted for Syabira - she's such a lovely, happy person, even when the chips are down, and she was clearly delighted to win last night. She really smashed it out of the park!

Poor Dawn.... but I think she'd probably reached her limits, she was struggling the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing her on An Extra Slice.

Think the judges got both decisions spot on this week, they said themselves star baker was a given with no one else close, and Dawn was definitely the weakest, with Kevin looking next in line for the chopping block based on his performances over the last couple of episodes.

As mentioned above, is Janusz becoming a one trick pony? Many of his bakes look very similar. Be surprised if its not mentioned soon unless he starts mixing it up a little.

Enjoyed this week overall though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Very hard to warm to Sandro, he's a bit too obsessed about getting a handshake or star baker. He'd have probably gotten it this week had he not ruined his signature yet again with too much booze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I agree, I find he's always expecting it to be him and his smiles can be quite false. Janusz was very disappointing this week but Kevin was definitely the right person to leave, he's been hanging on by the skin of his teeth the last few weeks. Syabira seems to be hitting her stride the last couple of weeks.

Go Syabira!!!

Shame about her ice cream cones, but she fairly rocked the rest of the show. And definitely had the most custardy cake of all, so i was delighted she got the kudos for that. And, as I've said before, her smile would light up a room!

Hearing "Janusz" and "in danger" in the same sentence was a bit of a shock, but he really had a rocky week.

Sandro comes across as a bit obsessed with getting titles alright, but I wonder how much of that is down to the editing? They could easily be making a bit of a monkey of him. And he was definitely a very close second to Syabira this week - the piping on his showstopper cake was incredible.

Def it was Kevin's time to go, it's a long time since I remember him getting a bake 100% spot on. But he was well close with that custard cake, if only he'd managed to set the custard a teeeeeny bit more!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I felt bad for Kevin, but it was definitely his time. Like Cork Lass said, he's been hanging on by the skin of his teeth for a while now. No way should Janusz have gone, I know he had a poor week, but that would have been madness! I hope they were only trying to add drama! I see he still used his famous trademark icing drips. 😂

Matt gets on my nerves when he shouts the time left in one of his silly voices. I prefer when he's just being natural and helping the contestants out rather than clowning around. Speaking of which, it was nice to see the others rallying around Kevin at the end of the showstopper. Shows good camaraderie. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I just can't warm to him at all. I've no issue with somebody being confident but he just loves himself to much for me.

• Advertisement

Sandro is easy on the eye. But I do agree he seems to be a bit over confident. He is a very good baker, but he kind of knows it and you could see he expected to get star baker this week. I would expect him to be one of the finalists. We really are getting down to the final few now....

Enjoyed this weeks episode, the series seems to be going really quickly too, cant believe we only have 3 episodes left.

Kevin was easily the one to go this week IMO and the judges got that spot on, thought Sandro had just pipped Syabira to star baker myself but hard to argue when her showstopper was perfect.

Best 5 are left IMO, hard to call an outright winner but I think its ultimately between Sandro & Syabira myself.

Roll on the quarter finals!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

enjoyed last nights and think Maxy was the right one to go.

Sandro was in a bit of trouble last night,

Looking like Syabira is in pole position - 3 star baker awards in a row...

Is it just me or is the standard quite low this year? Genuinely can't see anyone but Syabira winning unless she loses her cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Paul said something like that last night. Can't remember exactly but something like he wasn't very impressed with what they have done so far. But as someone said earlier maybe go back to the basics and not try to fancy it all up!

I have to say I zoned out of much of last night's episode. Couldn't get my head around sweet vol au vents. Spring rolls only come from the freezer or the Chinese, not from the kitchen.

It was sad to see Maxy go, I really liked her. I found Sandro quite cocky last night.

I agree with the other comments about the bakes going back to basics - there is so much that can be covered, and much of it are things we've all heard of but might not necessarily be able to do - eg different types of breads, loaves, buns, rolls. Things that you would initially think are easy but mistakes are obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭McFly85

Maxy had 2 terrible weeks so not surprised at all she went. Syabira the clear standout now and Abdul could be a dark horse for the final because he’s never terrible.

Janusz has kind of stalled too. His bakes are always neat but never amazing. Maybe I’m annoyed how much he puts a drip on his cakes😂

I agree. They are trying to make it more interesting by introducing things like Mexican week etc, just bring it back to what it used to be when it first started. Oh, and get rid of Matt and his ridiculous commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The whole comedian thing makes no sense imo. I watch the aussie, new Zealand and Canada one and all the presenters are 'comedians' for some reason.

• Advertisement

Gowan Abdul, some going by him. Nice for him to get star baker

Mad Janusz didn't get to the final, seemed a shoe in earlier in the show.

Thought they actually got last nights star baker & leaver correct. Had janusz gotten through it would have been purely on his earlier efforts, & thought Paul's remark that his showstopper was either under or over baked depending on the piece chosen did him in the end. Sandro's despite looking cluttered & messy was actually baked properly according to the judges so that was enough to put him ahead of Janusz & into the final.

It really was a toss up between Janusz and Sandro for the last spot in the final. I kinda would have liked Janusz in the final purely because he's so likeable and a bit of fun.

IMO it's Syabira's to lose. Unless she makes a serious mess up she should have it. Sandro is trying too hard IMO, he is desperate for Paul's handshake - I hope he relaxes in the final because he has great potential. Abdul is lovely but he has quietly coasted to the final IMO, he's good but he's not wow for me.

A very diverse final in terms of ethnicities (I hope that's ok to say).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

One thing I found about this year's cycle is that a lot of the bakers are very clearly annoyed about Matt/Noel (mostly Matt a lot of the time) nattering with them. At one stage yesterday in the technical Matt was standing right in Sandro's way while he was getting his head around things. The fact that the bakes are much more complicated this year has definitely changed the banter.

I'd be no time telling the pair of them to gtf out of my face!

I presume the rules preclude that, but they must have a watertight condition in their contracts, that someone doesn't give them an earful!

Syabira gave a watered-down version last night ("Is there any way I can help?" "Go away" !!)

Janusz was good fun, but he seemed to have just hit his limit in the last couple of weeks - and his baking wasn't as precise as in the opening few rounds.

I'm definitely rooting for Syabira to win - or Abdul, I don't think he's beyond a storming round, timed just right. I think/fear Sandro will be far too stressed out to do a good job.

But Abdul's timing in the tasks is awful - Syabira always seems so under control compared to everyone else! So definitely hers to lose. And if she keeps wowing Prue with her out-there flavours, she'll def have her vote anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Another thing that flummoxed me in last night's episode was Paul and Prue being absolutely scandalised about Syiabira's flavours for her signature. "Fruit and peanuts?!!!". Surely peanut butter and jam/fruit isn't that out there?

• Advertisement

It was definitely the right call on the day to send Janusz home. I think he was running out of steam a little bit. His mini Charlottes looked lovely with the flowers on them but it was a very simple way to decorate, it didn't require any specialist skills. No sign of the drips this week at least 😆

My money is on Syabira to win, she is definitely the best of the three there.

They have to be the most underwhelming final showstoppers ever!! Though I did think the orangutan was cute in a wtf way 😂.

Glad she got it, she'd been so consistent throughout the series.

I did feel sorry for Sandro as he really did try....though I suspect he'll try to hustle some tv deal...he has that hunger.

It seemed a very fast series, time just flying by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

Agree. Was just saying the same, can't remember a poorer final. No one stood out tonight, but the best baker of the series won.

Speaking of TV deals, a bit surprised we didn't see Giuseppe pop up on our screens over the last year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Giuseppe moved back to Italy shortly after winning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement