Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An extension after adding external insulation

Options
  • 04-10-2022 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

hi,

I have an installer ready to do an external insulation wrap on my house (end of terrace).

However, we're planning to do an extension at the end of next year - is it smart to wait and do it all in one go? (hoping you all say to just get the external insulation now as don't want to deal with another house that sucks for keeping warm in the winter :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭greasepalm

It will keep you warmer and save on heating and if your getting a brick extension i will assume insulation put in as i got warm boards on the inside of an already built extension. Roof is flat and a joke no insulation was fitted when built

Rafter lock inside the beams and warm boards on the ceiling has made the room warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I would wait, you'd have thermal bridging issues unless the extension guys are skilled and can externally wrap the new space and join it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

thanks - that's my concern, trying to have some 'joined up' thinking.... (of course, getting the skilled builders for all this work is very tricky...)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Go ahead and get insulation done. We had an extension done after the external wrap. No problems. They just cut out the insulation. House is as warm as ever. We put 92mm insulated plaster board in the extension.

Advertisement