Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Don't start the switch until you are out of contract with your current supplier. If you switch before being out of contract you run the risk of being charged the breach of contract fee.

Although it can take several weeks for the switch to be completed I have always found that charges by the new supplier are effective from the date you initiated the switch and are based on the meter reading(s) submitted when initiating the switch. Likewise, the final bill from the previous supplier is based on date the switch was initiated & reading(s) submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

It tends to take up to 10 working days. I started switching on the 18th of March and it was March 31st before the final bill was issued with charges up to March 22nd at the rates of the tariff that had just finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Been following this thread lately as my electricity contract period is ending very shortly. I have a low usage (2500 kWh) and had a look at the switching websites - they seem to indicate that the EI 14% is the best option... But folk here keep mentioning a BG 33% option which I don't see anywhere... I'm guessing it's gone now or is based on a much higher standard rate?

Also, I wonder if you can 'switch' to your current provider to avail of a cashback offered by them to new customers?

The BGE 33% discount plan can be found at:

https://onebigswitch.ie/campaigns

• Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't think you have to wait if say your a few days out from the end of the contract. It might take a couple of weeks for everything to be sorted for the transition to the new provider anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

I got an email from Bord Gais today offering a 40% discount on the electricity rate to renew with them, they have to send me out the tariff details. I will wait and see now what the new increased rates are.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

When is your 12 month contract expiring?

Hoping to get an email from them offering the same. My contact ends in November

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Could you post the rates when you get them please, it does seem to be a different way of doing things, 10% for new customers and better rates for existing, finally treating existing customers like they are valued although no one has provided actual details.

All their rates are on their website under "Energy > Our Tariffs Explained".

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

• Advertisement

I had a look earlier and it looks like the rural 24 Hr Rate and standing charge are below but will wait to get that in writing to be sure.

Standing charge 352.9 Inc VAT

323.76 Ex VAT

Unit price before 40% discount 48.33 Inc VAT

44.34 Ex VAT

Unit price after discount 28.99 Inc VAT

26.6 Ex VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I've just been looking into this also and it looks like BG unit rates are approx. 10% more than say EI. So a 15% discount with EI is probably equivalent to a 25% discount with BG. I'm half wondering if BG are going to do a Tesco job and just over-inflate their standard prices further in due course while appearing to offer a huge discount (via use of a Clubcard in the case of Tesco) which gets cancelled out...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yes we renewed with Flogas recently and got the new customer cashback offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

I know you can still see (most of) the plans the energy providers are offering but you can't follow through and sign up with them and on one of the sites at least they won't give you a breakdown of your current plan vs the new plan. Why I wrote what I did is they are funded by commissions. They only do the comparison part of their service so that people like us are drawn to their website, leading to a lot of us switching through them. They may get paid by newspapers for some content re the energy market but if the energy providers refuse the let them sell their products their main revenue is gone. If they lose that revenue they will go out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

This really seems like BG are going to hike their prices once they attract enough customers or get people to stay. But I suppose they all will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

I once applied to switch on the last day of my contract and was charged an early exit fee. The last two switches the day when I applied to switch and got my next bill from the new supplier, the Start period of the bill was the day when I applied to switch e.g. applied to switch on 17/08/2022, got billed by EI up to 16/08/2022 and Energia bill covered period from 17/08/2022 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Signed up to EI

26% Gas & Electric

prices including vat 

gas

elec

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

1 hour waiting

5 minutes chatting to loyalty

28% discount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

I'm out of contract with electric Ireland, am I better off switching to Bord gáis via their website or one big switch?

Call them & see what they are offering. It might be worth your while calling EI as well to see what they can offer to retain your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Energias rates are set to go up on Friday so people should read their meter and submit it to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I signed up to Energia at the beginning of Sept for Duelfuel with the EV plan before the increases. Also got the 12 month fixed rate for electricity. Looking back on my contract, for Gas it also says “12 Month Fixed Term Unit Rate”, anyone noticed that?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Unfortunately I think it means only the term is fixed, not the unit rate. It would specify fixed rate otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

It uses the exact same language for my electricity which is a fixed rate so was wondering. I guess I know when I get first bill. Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

Can anyone tell me if I'm correct in my thinking?

Say I use 300units during this billing period, they would be divided between the pre and post price rise periods. So if my bill is from September 7th to November 7th, 150 units will be charged at the cheaper rate and 150 at the more expensive rate, which kicks in on October 7th.

The reason I ask is that i should be using more units in the second half of the billing period with it being colder, darker etc. If it's divided evenly for billing then some of the units I use in the second half of the month will be billed at the cheaper rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Buffman

If you didn't submit a reading before the price change you're going to be relying on their estimate, and from my experience I reckon energy companies without meter readings get their estimates from the same magical place insurance companies get their quotes. Without a reading, they can effectively bill you however they want and you won't be able to dispute it. I'd suggest submitting a meter reading ASAP to avoid being shafted.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement