Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Are we talking porridge or whiskey here!

I'm reminded of the Billy Connolly sketch with the shampoo....

"Aloe vera...henna...avocado and hazelnuts. Bloody unbelievable! Cucumber...egg and mushrooms. If we had egg and mushroom when I was a boy it would have gone straight in the bloody frying pan! 'Has anybody seen my shampoo by the way?' Your father is away to work with it on his sandwiches'."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nice! Enjoy.

I like Angel's Envy but I just can't get my head around why Basil Hayden uses a 40% abv.

I am not the biggest Redbreast fan on here, but for what it's worth I don't think Redbreast 15 is a significant step-up from the 12 and certainly not from the CS, you might be disappointed. Albeit it is not that much more money.

I tried the Currach a few years ago and genuinely thought it was one of the most interesting Irish whiskey releases I'd had in years. I suspect it's a bit 'marmite', it won't be for everyone, and you might want to try a sample before buying a whole bottle however.

I also read the original post as about Christmas whiskies, for what it's worth...

I have done multiple MoM advent calendars and could probably get one this year, if it was brought over to me, but I don't know if I will.

I have done their regular whisky calendar, their regular scotch, their regular bourbon, and their single cask scotch calendars.

The 'basic' boxes tend to have good years and bad years, I'm convinced that they cycle them. You'll get a year with several duds and cheeky inclusions, really low-cost whiskies, and only one or two exciting inclusions, and they'll get slated... Then the next year they'll throw in some great stuff and everyone is enthusiastic again.. Then the cycle repeats.

In my opinion the "best" MoM advent calendar is the single cask scotch. It's more expensive, but it is genuinely unusual scotches and some absolute crackers will be in there from distilleries as well as bonders. Based on trying it I bought several specific bottles of whisky from the same cask as the samples I tried, because I knew they were ace.

For Christmas this year I will probably buy a bottle of reasonably expensive sherry finished Scotch. I did that last year and it felt very 'safe' but the most Christmas-y way I could go.

I see Waterford has a couple of peated releases in the CWS, got an email about them today. I'd be curious to try them, maybe this is not new but the first time I've seen them.

A bit of peat can help with the new make notes of a young whisky.

Have you tried any of the Dunvilles offerings? I had a sample of the 1808 blended and struck me as trying to be more Scotch than Irish...

• Advertisement

I tried one of their PX cask whiskies a few years ago and disliked it so much it just put me off them, but yeah I should try the peated one. Is it still all sourced whiskey?

I'm going up to Belfast next week, could be an opportunity I guess.

While I'm there I'm going to try and track down a Johnny Walker Green Label in Tesco... It's on a club card special on the website... But of course there's no way there'll be any on the shelves, knowing my luck...

Yikes. Once bitten, twice shy.

According to this, it is a mix.

The 1808 is a blend of grain and two different malts – of which one is peated – and a small proportion of pot still, all combined in an American oak cask. An interesting fact about this whiskey is that Echlinville’s own pot still has been used in this blend, something which Echlinville and Irish Whiskey fans will get really excited about, considering their current distillate has been sourced from elsewhere

https://malt-review.com/2021/04/27/dunvilles-1808/

Interesting about the mix.

I asked Silkie whether they would use their own output for the Silkie line in the future (They'll also have their single malt sold under the name Ardara single malt), and they told me they were thinking of using some of their own and some sourced. Sounds similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yes it very odd alright. I guess they just want to offer a lighter sipper.

Lagavulin 16 back around .. 100 euro. Not awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

That would be interesting! I really rate the Dark and Midnight Silkies as very decent. Can't wait for their peated Ardara offerings. Has anyone tried the Crolly whiskies? Htye're obviously sourced, candt find much info about them. They seem to be finished in different types of wood which have latin names. Like thats grand, and they're single malt but at €80 they're almost double the Silkie offerings, of which the Midnight is a blended single malt. Too expensive, or atleast out of my price range when there is so much more out there, might as well pay the €20 extra for Lagavulin 16 lol.

Last night I went back to a Kilbeggan 8 Single Grain which I had opened a couple of years ago but hadn't gone back to it and its while lovely drop. lots going on for a corn whiskey and plenty of body. lovely stuff. pity its discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

My dad's from up there and he went to the distillery. He said they were nice, but overpriced. Pretty much as expected, I guess

The Crolly whiskies start around 80 but I think they go up to 125 for the older age statments they have!

Personally I think this is a too much, and they're not alone among some new distilleries / bonders, but I guess they know their sales strategy better than me...

The likes of Silkie, JJ Corry get their pricing more on the money, for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Anybody see this? Good news for Teelings and shows the stregnth of the Irish whiskey market. Good to see. Hope they keep up the good work

Yeah its great for them and great for Irish Whiskies in general! Teeling seem have a great range, though I only have their small batch, which when put in a lineup of single grain or general Irish whiskey, really stands out with the tropical rum influence. Their Blackpitts is next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Same question from me (I didn't even know whiskey Advent calendars were a thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

I hate being a sucker for shiny new things. I really want a peated Waterford now. Even though I KNOW I love lagavulin 16 and it's the same price. Same with the method and madness oaty whiskey. Although I don't have an alternative to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, I really want to get the Method and Madness one. Has it been released yet, or given a date? There'll be enough to go around, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

There's a lot to be said for sticking to what you know you like, and I do try to do that, but it's hard to resist the potential promise of something new 😋

• Advertisement

Can't recommend Clonakilty Whiskey highly enough- they have a medal winner, can't remember what it's called but it was sub-50 euro when i purchased earlier this year- I'll be buying for Christmas (along with others I might add) but definitely one to try or gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Website says shipping will commence October 7th

As in this is labelled "Clonakilty" but matured elsewhere? No idea. Just thought I'd post that I liked it- I visited the distillery earlier this year - they're big on Gin which I also think is a great Gin and vodka too which doesn't really taste of anything but i did like the whiskey

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No.

Although I suspect that they could be doing so by now. if they wished.

I wonder if the plan is to quietly transition to using their own liquid without any fanfare - giving the impression that it was always their own liquid. Or perhaps, they plan to always outsource the majority of their liquid and to keep Clonakilty as a shopfront, so to speak - producing a portion of what is bottled and providing a busy visitor center, shop and back story.

Whatever, it is odd that they haven't released any of their own liquid.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

So many of these guys could produce their own but sourced makes more business sense for them, for whatever reason. Bit of a shame.

Surprised Dingle, Drumshambo and others don't do an advertising campaign pointing out why what they do is different to most of the output from Glendalough, Clonakilty etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johnny1x

looking forward to sampling a Jameson 1780 Special Reserve 12 Year Old which I have just been given

Yeah, I missed a tour earlier this year myself, but a few friends made it. I wasn't sure if their own liquid was past the three year mark yet. The lads that were there had the opportunity to taste lots of stuff from various barrels, but said nothing really blew them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've been fairly underwhelmed by anything I've tasted. I think they are looking at volume and the US market.

• Advertisement

It certainly didn’t blow me away but it was pleasant enough and for the price I thought it worth it- it has won an award so it’s not too shabby

Advertisement