Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

A cap should of being placed to begin with. No open invitation.

Yeah sure, let's our 5 million pop island take a few million. Sounds sensible and reasonable to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

The Terminal was terminally un funny. Just like my crap joke.

I have thought this through, tis the Government who haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Fantastic you should have no problem answering the questions so.

Where would you deport them to and what mechanism would you use?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think it's quite clear CeCe12 is talking about limiting further refugees coming into Ireland. Given we are unable to properly accommodate those who are already here then I can fully understand people favouring this. Equally I don't think other EU countries such as Poland can ever cap those coming across their borders given this war. I have little doubt that Poland, as a country, is doing more that most, and probably the most of all, EU countries in providing refuge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭DaithiMa

So those screaming NO CAP into the sky have thought things through?

What's the plan if the war escalates and 500k arrive? How about a million?

Can you please link to what plans are in place if the above, very possible, scenario unfolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Where would you like to house them and what mechanism would you use as the number of people coming continues to grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have to agree . Those living in hotels and getting three meals a day with no bills shouldn’t be on the higher amount

They have more disposable income than our own unemployed who have to buy food and heat their homes etc

A pensioner who has paid tax for many many year is on €40 more a week but has to pay for heat and electricity and food and medicines .

This fact is causing upset to people and is making people resent the Government for making it look like the Ukrainians are getting more than Irish residents .

People can keep saying that if we mention this we are anti Ukrainians . Well I am hosting a family of four refugees and help out with those in need but I still think they are getting too much . Once things seem unfair to Irish residents and once people see this as unfair then it causes unrest and will eventually cause people to resent the refugees .

I have only last week filled out a medical card application for a 74 year old . He paid taxes for 40 odd years but still had to account for every single cent he has in the bank with bic and iban etc etc . Yet the Government handed out medical cards to fit and able young men and women with absolutely no questions asked at all .

If we want to help those in need we must be sure that we target those very people who need our help and not open the door and encourage people here for the benefits they see as easy to get

Our money doesn’t grow on trees so we need to spend it wisely and reach out to those who are genuine refugees fleeing from danger . As it stands this is not the case and we all know it .

If the war escalates to the degree that the vast majority of Ukraine empties, Refugees would be the least of our worries in Europe.

It is very clear what he is saying, but Ireland cannot limit further refugees entering Ireland, there is no mechanism for it.

It will have to be done at EU level in some sort burden sharing scheme. But there is pretty obvious problems with that too. If the wheels were to come off the bus and 12 million refugees poured into the EU countries bordering Ukraine, they will say, okay lads burden sharing, 10 million of those are yer problems.

No EU country as far as I am aware have implemented any sort of cap.

But for argument sake, we have just below 50,000 at the moment, we put the cap in at 50k. The next 100 that show up our ports after that will have to be deported. But where and how? IF they apply for Asylum, we will have to pull out of that international treaty too.

It has to be collective.

Also do we really want to be the country that deports refugees whilst their families fight and die holding off Soviet Expansion into Europe?

• Advertisement

Here you go again telling me to get to know them . Did you even read my post ? I know many , help many and am well aware that they are not all frauds thank you . At no stage did I say they were all playing us . Jeez do you ever even check posts and read exactly what is written?

I actually dont even know why I bother replying sometimes . Its not the first time you have completely misunderstood my post .

I caught a bit of the six one news this evening. I forget the name of the lady newscaster. She was talking to a Ukrainian member of parliament. At the end of the interview, she said Ireland is hosting 55k Ukrainians, are they told Ireland is currently dealing with an accommodation crisis before coming here. She replied no. I was surprised she asked that question tbh.

I heard that too and was surprised . It is terribly unfair in my opinion to invite people here and not make it known that we are no room left . Its like an open invitation to your house and then tell them you only have a tent in the back garden . Which is exactly why The Government must have a plan in place to be more selective in who we can help and ensure we are helping those most in need

A really disingenuous and condescending post. That poster is hosting Ukrainians in their own house and you aren’t so it’s a bit rich for you to tell them to get to know them. Plus they never said anything negative about them.

On the topic of being begrudging and judgmental perhaps you could address your own hatefulness towards students and get to know some of them before preaching to others. Nobody likes a hypocrite.

I read your post. This stood out. “A pensioner who has paid tax for many many year is on €40 more a week but has to pay for heat and electricity and food and medicines”.

If a Pensioner is on €40 more, they are not paying for medicines. They get a decent allowance towards heat, phone, tv, etc. They also get €22 if living alone. Maybe get someone a bit better qualified to get your friends proper entitlements.

Thanks . I have suddenly understood that I am taking bait and getting riled up and that will not happen again . I am very lucky to have a beautiful family from a war zone and should only concentrate on that fact and not let myself get dragged into nonsensical holier than thou ramblings on the internet

But I appreciate your kind support

Post edited by iamwhoiam on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

No we should not. Or is it just Ukrainians? Care to explain why other refugees from non EU states that are war torn don't get the same benefits?

I'm all for helping out and learning about a different culture is a plus (but I won't be adapting to suit any), but we do not have the resources. A tent in winter here?

This is my issue. All parties are cowards and thinking they're awesome. They don't have to worry about mortgages, childcare or heating.

They're speaking out of both sides of their mouth! They have no plan. And this could become dangerous.

The government's primary job is to look after irish citizens. They're not doing that. Again, I'm more than happy to help out, but to a reasonable, sane amount, within or capacity and to level fitting of our guests.

How many students had to defer college this year? Points rise next year they could miss out.

I just want an idea of a mutually beneficial solution. Even a somewhat hazy one at this stage.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have to accept that at some stage we reach capacity. Do we really want to be putting up refugees in tents in the middle of winter? And yes I understand the EU directive, but the EU needs to think deeply about how individual member states can continue provide refuge to unlimited numbers, or if they need to apportion refugees in some way

There are currently just over 4m refugees across the EU. That's about 1% of the total EU population. On that basis we are already taking an appropriate proportion. Poland have taken 4 times as many as it would be if refugees were dispersed evenly across the EU. Belgium has taken about as many as Ireland with a population of 11m. The Netherlands, with more than 3 times the population, has taken 1.5 times as many as Ireland. France with 13 times the population of Ireland has taken twice as many refugees as Ireland. Spain, around 9 times the population, has taken less than 3 times as many as Ireland

There are others such as the Czech Republic who have taken more than their "fair" share (twice the population, 8 times as many refugees)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Rte just let the mask slip reporting that the places are jammers and need to be investigated for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭DaithiMa

• Advertisement

Might be an idea to read posts before jumping in. I deal in actual facts. I know that claims are being spot checked. Medical cards reduced or removed.

I applaud those hosting refugees while wondering why they haven’t considered offering the same support to our own seeking housing.

I acknowledge the unsuitability of my house to sharing, so instead volunteer my time to supporting Ukrainian refugees in a more productive manner.

I question inaccurate post’s claims re benefits and suggest a quick Google before posting.

There are many inaccurate claims regarding the behaviour of refugees, while ignoring the majority being grateful for the chance to save their children from the horrors of war.

Any input on Rte reporting the places are jammers and need investigating for safety ? No one seems to want to have a bash at it.

You deal in actual facts? That’s news to me. Like your claim a few days ago that there were hundreds of available hotels in Dublin this weekend when in fact there was less than 70 available this weekend and the following one. You conveniently didn’t respond once your lie had been called out. Some facts.

Not sure why you’re off on a rant about welfare. I was specifically addressing your comment to someone who is currently housing 4 refugees in his own home that he needs to get to know them better and not think like a begrudger. The neck on you when he never said anything negative about them and you yourself are hosting zilch.

So you live in a house? Interesting. I’d see through it if you were in a granny flat or something but you live in a house and apparently it’s unsuitable. Is it unsuitable or is just you don’t want any refugees living your house and are hiding behind the unsuitable claim. If you’re in a house surely you could make room for one and get to know them better. Your house is surely more suitable than a war zone? You know the saying if you want to know me come and live me. You wouldn’t have to preach to people housing Ukrainians to get to know them better then, you could do it yourself but sure it’s not suitable.

And the disdain you’ve constantly shown to students bordering on hatred is really bizarre. Maybe you could take a student in to your house and get to know them better and not listen to the begrudgers.

What? ALL of them? Or a couple of greedy owners being outed?

Haven’t watched RTÉ, so, cannot comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Question MaryAnne. How do you know that claims are being spot checked and that medical card supports are being reduced / withdrawn? What % of claims do you believe are being evaluated? Is this data logged anywhere? If yes, can you provide a source?

I’m also curious as to why you believe your voluntary work a couple of mornings a week to be more ‘productive’ that those who have chosen to host refugees in their homes? It may just be incredibly poor articulation and syntax on your part, but it doesn’t reflect very well shall we say.

city west was one of them Dunno if there greedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Again, let me remind you, you said "There should be a cap, but no deportation." I reminded you of the problem that causes - if someone shows up in excess of cap, they get deported. I jokingly (I suppose I need to include /jk since it was over your head) said, how about a few million to avoid deportation which you appear to not want. So, are you

1. O.K. with deportation? Be honest now
    2. Have no idea what cap you want in place?

A cap isn't in place, and time travel is not possible. Nor was it an 'open invitation,' it was an EU directive that Ireland signed up to.

So, what do you propose to do in today's real world, where there's not a cap, and no way to implement one without deportation? Remember, the 101st person that shows up from Ukraine to claim asylum (assuming your cap is whoever is here now + 100), will need to be deported. D. E. P. O. R. T. E. D.

Will you put them on a plane to Rwanda? Plane tickets to Kiev? What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Board and Food fine, the welfare rates are a joke.

“Question MaryAnne. How do you know that claims are being spot checked and that medical card supports are being reduced / withdrawn? What % of claims do you believe are being evaluated? Is this data logged anywhere? If yes, can’t you provide a source?” Personal experience. GDPR and the possibility of a threadban wouldn’t allow me disclose my sources.

My voluntary work is just that voluntary. Anyone hosting refugees is getting paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Post edited by Ronan|Raven on

Advertisement