Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Rugby content on a rugby forum. Imagine that.

I think FFF got it right tho:

I think someone is a bit bored today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's not nice to say but rugby making it through Covid with only losing two clubs might not be the worst result.

There's a view that the Government covid disrupted business payments have actually delayed some clubs going broke, but haven't seen figures to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

asset protection i would imagine.

ive heard theyve tried to manoeuver teh training grounds and facility away from being on teh clubs asset list as well.

• Advertisement

Protecting the assets for who though? it makes it harder to find a buyer for the club if the club has no assets.

Incidentally, that twitter thread suggests they (may have?) received a 14 million pound covid loan from the UK government, be interesting to track where that money ended up, if so.

well first off, the club is on the verge of going in administration, not liquidation. Theyre not looking for buyers currently.

i supposed theres two ways of looking at it, the benevolent view would be that they could be trying to set aside assets in case a buyer comes at liquidation, and develops the land with no interest in reigniting worcester rfc. They would then have protected the assets of the training, medical, car park etc to mak eteh reigniting of WRFC easier and more attractive to an investor.

the malevolent view is that the current owners themselves will be the ones to speculatively develop the lands separate to WRFC.

either way, id expect court cases to investigate the legalities around the separation of the assets from the balance sheets

I don't understand how these protected assets would be transferred back to the club in the event of a sale, though. I don't see that any such wording in a contract would be enforceable, if the intention is to safeguard them. If you wanted to do so, you'd probably be better off creating a charitable trust, giving it ownership of the lands and stipulating the land could only be used for the purposes of rugby (or whatever) - It's a very long time since I did exams in this area though.

It's extremely unlikely these were hived off for the greater good of the club, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Imagine Dragons could do with a few more players in fairness though, think theres only 4 or 5 of them in the band. theyd probably be better at rugby than they are at music though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tawera Kerr-Barlow wants to switch to Australia. Would that be the first move between Tier 1 countries since the new rule came in, if he gets picked for the Wallabies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I was really saddened to hear this on the RTÉ sports news there a few minutes ago.

65 is no age and obviously from the circumstances he had not been in any particular bother prior. Always really enjoyed his commentaries, especially from the Millennium Stadium, where they always added to the unique atmosphere of a Welsh team playing at home.

RIP big man.

It’s not a rugby moment that’s the most memorable for me. It was his summary of London 2012 as the games ended. ‘A golden games’. He wrote it as well as voiced it and it was utter poetry.

Such a talented writer and commentator. RIP

Wasps in trouble now and administrators appointed

Yeah, it looks a pretty desperate situation.

A huge amount of English clubs seem to have enormous tax bills hanging over them, alongside a lot of more conventional debt.

Beyond the fact Wasps are in technical default over the 35m bond they entered into to buy their ground in Coventry, they also supposedly have to settle a two million pound tax bill within the next 20 days.

The climate to refi the bond gets more and more challenging as the days tick by; debt capital markets are largely shut at the moments and yields on even rated debt instruments have spiked north of 10%. It's hard to know definitely but would be difficult to imagine that Wasps could generate a business case to show how they could take on that level of debt and service it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Spot on. No asset manager is looking at that bond as attractive and the market is on its knees at the moment with little issuance and enormous decline rates on what's out there. The only way that bond is being refi'd is if a sugar daddy with a penchant for rugby comes out of the woodwork.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The "Sugar Daddy" has always been the only way the Club game in England even remotely close to works financially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Probably close to the only way the game here works financially if you accept that the sugar daddy is the irfu.

Really the sugar daddy that Wasps need more than anything is a reliable rental income from Coventry fc playing in their stadium.

I know they have a 10 year contract (1 down so 9 year) atm but that's it. Coventry fc plan to have their own stadium after that.

Even if someone was willing to refinance the bonds there is probably as much income from the stadium as the rugby club and knowing that that's time limited wouldn't be impressive.

• Advertisement

I do agree, but the "sugar daddies" in the English league are frequently guilty of chasing short term success, spending a lot of cash on player wages (especially expensive SH imports) and not really thinking in the long term interests of the club (with some obvious exceptions).

The IRFU do take a considerably more long term approach, and even by comparing the player recruitment piece, have much more stringent rules around imports.

Another issue that I do think has impacted a lot of the English clubs in the past 20 years is how flighty some of them have been. Mostly an issue with the London clubs who simply couldn't afford to stay in London, but the migration out to the broader Thames valley, coupled with the extensive external recruitment, has led to scenarios where some of these clubs have no real connection to the places where they play or the fans. This is also very distinct from the Irish teams, who are very rooted in the provinces and have a clear identity.

Wasps have shot themselves in the foot as well with the Coventry City FC rental agreement; because they're desperate for income they've flogged the stadium as an asset. They played 65 7s matches on it for the Commonwealth Games, resulting in the pitch being deemed unplayable by the EFL when Coventry needed it, and forcing Coventry to postpone one game, and move others. Rightly, Coventry are up in arms over this, and probably withholding some payments under the contract, further exacerbating Wasps' mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The difference being that those sugar daddies just want a nice thing on their arm for a few years. That they can f**k till it’s no use to anyone else.

The IRFU is a little more benevolent than that.

Reporting on Times radio that this is likely to be Worcester’s final game this weekend. Forensic accountants have landed into the club and the owners have not been heard from since a text to the RFU last weekend. They’ve permission to host tomorrows match but absent confirmation of funding by Monday evening the club will be wound up.

It’s tough for Worcester fans, but some consolidation, maybe followed by franchising, is probably the only hope for the game in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Fascinating read. Really drives home how much we expect these physical giants to be mentally resilient but in reality they're often completely alone and scared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Frank Murphy and Co having a mare in Stormers vs Edinburgh... Stormers try stands despite a clearly forward pass in the buildup but about a meter forward not marginal... then Stormers player sees red thanks to the TMO... yellow was my instinct at worse but the commentators are also of that thinking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Could easily have been another red for the Stormers twenty minutes earlier.

Evan Roos is still an utter scrote. He's a really talented player, but has to realise he's playing in an era of the all seeing TMO, so when he keeps trying to shove his forearm over player's throats, he's going to get caught. I know South Africans love having the 'enforcer' type in their ranks, but there's a fine line between that and just thuggery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He is utterly lacking temper control.

He reminds me of a guy playing back in my time - An incredibly talented out-half that could win games on his own , but with a hair trigger temper.

Every opposing team just knew that all you needed to do was give him a bit of a late bump early in the game and his game would crumble under the red mist that would descend. Instead of playing he'd spend the rest of the game looking to land cheap-shots and get "revenge" on anyone and everyone.

Roos looks like a guy that could be in the SA back-row for the next decade , but if he doesn't get a handle on his temperament he'll get a handful of caps at best before he gets cut loose.

He has the head of a roid-rager about him

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Clueless idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure Browne's approach is that much healthier tbh

The approach of running a highly successful PR/Communications company and doing lots of charity stuff?

He was also coaching Galwegians and U18/U20 as well.

Not sure what's "unhealthy" about that?

Yeah, clearly Browne is in the news for coaching under 18s and running a company.

• Advertisement

The comment was that Brownes post rugby life wasn't "particularly healthy" , I'm just trying to understand where that's coming from.

He seems to be doing pretty well all round , that was my only point.

Caldwell has had a pretty rough time of it and thankfully seems to have come out the far side which is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm not convinced feeling the need to leave society to row halfway across the world every couple of years is a great adaptation to life post-rugby, but I'm not sure that'll be a popular opinion.

That your head controls your body and if you say “I can keep going”, and, do just that, even if your body says it can’t, you can and you will continue without failing to reach your goal. 

Which oddly enough is a trauma response. Usually learned by people who have experienced early childhood trauma.

Not suggesting that this is the case for DB. But pushing your body through extreme pain is neither natural or healthy.

His life could have been a lot different without O'Connell reading that article.

It's provable that your body can keep going after your mind has already given up.

And it's nothing at all to do with childhood trauma.

• Advertisement

The BBC programme about Steve Thompson last night was a hard watch

The oracle of all wisdom and knowledge on the internet has spoken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The "life could have been a lot different without O'Connell" comment was about Caldwell, not Browne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think you're missing the point about O'Connell. I don't think pickarooney meant "Caldwell would have got more caps for Ireland if O'Connell wasn't so good".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It certainly was. The whole area around all the 'symptom free' blows to the head through repeated impact in games/training made me sit up and take note as an ex-player. I received maybe 4 or 5 proper concussions through my career, but the fact that CTS can creep up on you as a result of many mini-traumas to the brain that you didn't even know about.

The most heart breaking moment was when he couldn't remember his oldest child's name and had to say to one of the other kids, 'what does the big one want to eat'...man's only 42!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The 6 nations and world rugby really need to do so much more for Georgia at 18s/20s to build them up for senior level.

They just won the 2022 u18 Rugby europe championship to complete a 4 in a row. havnt lost to another REC side at U18 level since 2009. Their aggregate score over three matches this year was 196-10.

It was very difficult to watch, knowing that I’d shouted him on through so many years.

Then I saw this morning the video of the Dolphins QB going into the fencing response after hitting the floor, hard but not overly so, a couple of weeks ago. Seeing that in real life made it all very real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭ersatz

The Thomson story, the motor neuron disease revelations and the latest research on the prevalence of brain injury among pros are very bad news for rugby, and may well be the tipping point where we see a gradual decline in the sport. For all the NFL's issues they were able to throw a billion dollars at it, and the financial clout of the game means there are many more billions available to keep the show on the road. That's definitely not the case with rugby and if the stats on neurological injuries among pros are borne out, the pro game has no future.

Even in the amateur game clubs seem to be hemorrhaging players who don't return after injuries (anecdotal).

Jeremy Davidson sacked as Brive head coach after an underwhelming start to the season.

He's been there quite a while hasn't he?

Seems to be a fairly competent Coach insofar as he has worked consistently since retirement.

He's been in France a long time , wonder will be find something else there or look overseas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement