Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

The ONLY difficult part of a DIY install is attaching the brackets onto the roof. Tiles are easy - you simply push a tile upwards, under the one above it on the row above.

After that connectors click Male to Female, all the way back to the inverter.

It's absolutely money for jam for these guys, and once it's working, you'll really never need to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

how is a slate roof attached just out on interest. Hoping to know what to look for in terms of resealing the roof

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Slates are normally nailed into the horizonal roof battens, so how they remove tiles I've no idea. Got to be a YouTube video though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

With a slate hook, seen them used.. but don't know how to reassemble the roof!

They take out a few slates and put in the mounting bracket.

Artificial ones are more forgiving than real slate too.

Must have a look online, I have a few broken slates on my shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I gather it is not too many weeks ago since an experienced tradesman came off a ladder in the east of Ireland and unfortunately passed away a few days later leaving a young family behind. Extremely sad events.

My father, who worked in construction, was always one for avoiding cost and doing a DIY job, but don’t go near a roof, leave it to those used to doing it, was his consistent mantra.

Crack on DIY if you know what you are doing, but the quote above about a roof not being the place to learn about DIY seems very sensible. Prices are high for carpenters and roofers after a decade of nobody doing the trades, but they are cheap if you fall. Take care.

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

I'd agree. I know someone in solar game a long time and well used to roofs. They fell off and took up residence in the hospital with a broken pelvis and was lucky to only be that. If a old metal gutter cracks and hits you, it's gonna be bad. I saw a very close call on that myself. Plus panels are 20+kg. And wind...

You'll find that it's the guys who are used to it are the ones who fall. You'll see them walk about, as though they are on a flat path, only wearing a harness if being photographed, taking silly risks because they've always done something a particular way.

Of course, know your limitations too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Still quote hunting and have just gotten this one:

6.0kWp

16 x Bisol Premium 375W Monocrystalline modules (All black modules)*

Bisol Mounting system

1 x Projoy Fire Safety Switch

AC Switchgear

Sofar 6kWp Inverter

Costing

€9,250 (inclusive of VAT)

-€2,400 (SEAI Grant)

€6,850 Final cost after grant incentive

Seems to match up well with the target formula. Few questions:

1. Any opinions on Bisol + Sofar in terms of quality?
    2. Eddie separate to above @€650 which we'd be including so €7,750 total cost. How does this sound?
    3. BER separate again I guess - not really a question, just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭idc

Have Bisol panels but not sofar inverter. They work fine but so would pretty much every other panel brand that is posted here.

Hard part is done, well done. If you've already got a few quotes and trust this installer, book it today so you get the next slot and get the slot agreed!! That's a really good price with market as it is. Get them to price guarantee that kit - get that in writing. You'll be paying a large deposit now, so don't want to find out in months time closer to install that prices have gone up.

Other odds + sods:

-Eddi price is grand, but it's hard to get your money back on it with decent FIT. But for comfort if ye use a lot of hot water from the hot tank, it's worth it. Very much a personal call.

-Kit is kit, so don't worry about 1 brand over another.

-People have gotten BER for as low as €200 - separate thread on it somewhere. Not uncommon to pay for your own BER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Regarding the roof.

Tiles are nailed on the first 2 rows from the eaves, and then every second or third row, (usually but depends on pitch) so the ones not nailed can be kicked up and rail brackets fixed to timber underneath and tile pulled back down. Tiles are easier work on, you can walk on them..carefully. They're heavier than slates and made from cement

Slates are fixed at 3 points and trickier to work on, and much slower to lay. 2 nails either side and a copper champion at the top fixes the top of one slate to the bottom of the other. Every row, every slate have these 3 fixings. You can't walk on these, you must have a special roof ladder that is also tied across the far side of the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Hi all, I have messaged 2 installers 5 days ago from list of installers thread that was pm'd to me, no response, emailed 3 other suppliers also on the installers list here - only 1 response saying they have too much work and only doing corporate work now.

Any advice by pm etc. on where I might get a Dublin installer welcomed!

edited - was pm'd list of installers

Post edited by podgeandrodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Yeah saw a video there. Not straight forward at all and slates have to have cut out and flashing placed on top in the video I saw.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Hi all, hoping to get your thoughts on this. Due to limited roof space (Velux windows) probably looking at 8 panel/3.2kw system max. One supplier has said not sure it would be worth the investment, and that this size system is less than worthwhile.

Our current usage is roughly 4530 kWh per year. Orientation: S/SE 150 Deg. Roof Slope (degrees): 35

Would people agree with his assessment?

Thanks,

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

you would get a grant to cover the cost of the panels for most of that - i wouldnt say is not worth investment unless its costing a lot? if its just panels and invertor what kind of price are they quoting?

Is a 3.2kw S/SE system worth your while? Yes.

Then Q is if it's worth the installer's while profit wise. Different Qs as I expect you know. Have a look at solar as a service. Cost for small installs is at least north of 1.5k per 1kW of panels.

And see can you fit more panels. Flat roof is perfect or shed roof. If you can do that, then you can look at other installers and price per 1kW of panels will drop. Labour is a huge chunk of it. Panels themselves are under 200 quid. Don't give up based on 1 view

Cheers. Haven't got a price yet - will follow up and see what they say.

| Is a 3.2kw S/SE system worth your while? Yes. Thanks, as wasn't 100% sure myself.

Ya getting the feeling installers may deem it not worth their while in general, as not getting a whole lot of replies back.

Plonk in the details here and you'll get a rough sense of the kWh you'll get: JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

Then assume you can only use 40% of what it generates. And get paid FIT ~15c for all else. That's close enough for now. So you're then buying the gap at the full rate per unit

Thanks for that, I hadn't really considered how to work that out. Sticking 3.2kw into that url gives a Yearly PV energy production [kWh]:3038.4. Then, did I understand you correctly regards the calculations as shown here (did this very quickly so it's possible there's a mistake somewhere!)

Post edited by mhtc on

• Advertisement

Actually, I think the "Amount buying from grid (kWh)" should be G=A-F

Kinda hard to follow someone else's formulas.

Let's pretend you use 4000 a year.

Solar (let's pretend) gives 3000. And of that you can only consume 40% (1200 units). And get paid ~15c FIT on the other 60% sent back to the grid (1800 units).

So you need to buy 2800 (solar is giving you 1200 units that you consume so not part of the calc as such). But FIT is paying you for 1800 units credit at 15c.

Get me?

This is without any divertor like a battery or hot water tank one. And % you consume is higher if an EV is in the drive during the day. But good place to start.

Yep, I have you. My sheet matches you example figures - thanks! (For anyone following mine G=A-E 😅)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

The rule of thumb of €1.2k per 1Kwp + €1k per 2.5Kwhr battery, including VAT, after grant deducted.....in gone. Forever, consigned to distant memory. Nobody....unless you are dealing with a shakey installer is getting those prices anymore. None here.....none on Facebook group.

At a very minimum the formula should be changed to €1.5k per 2.5Kwhr battery. Nobody is getting a 5Kwhr battery from an installer for less that €3k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

There is a quote for a 6kw system just under that guidance up the page a bit post #3462 so that can still be reached. The batteries will be going up if they can be sourced which right now they can't, neither can optimisers and other bits. As stated lots of times before the guidance is more relevant to systems over 5-6kw now.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah con747 is spot on. The guideline was (even a year ago) always tailored to bigger systems, with a bit of leeway. Last year it was €1k/1Kwp so moving it to €1.2K/Kwp is bumping it 20% over last year, and indeed as "Bawnmore" posted in #3462 they smashed that guideline!

Again, it's not "golden rule" where if you don't meet it you are over paying. If you are there or there abouts with ~10% or so, you know your getting a decent enough deal. That's what the guideline is about. That and keeping the gougers at bay.

That said, I love the way people categorically label it as "wrong" and yet 10-20 posts back in the same thread someone gets it. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

You can bold it all you want, you're still wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MightyToastie

I was wondering if anyone has had any issue getting the installer to complete the installation documentation and the Declaration of Works form for the SEAI after the work has been done? My system was installed by a well recommended installer on here back in June, but never got any paperwork other than an invoice, after the work was done. SEAI lads are now looking for them to upload the paper work and the company are non-responsive on phone or email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'm working out at about €1100 for a DIY including €1000 for labour electrician and person to fit the panels etc.

Not including battery in that price.

Granted it's an easy access shed roof.

Getting up on a slate roof, scaffolding, fitting onto different roof sections seems to be the big cash burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Can you tell me any installer/supplier that's offering a 5kwhr battery for €2k after VAT?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement