Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Did I hear a report that there is a new planned squeeze on oil exports from an OPEC group? A group that includes Saudi Arabia, Iraq AND Russia.

Is this Putin's next play in the economic war? If true, are the Saudis not capable of reading the room. Lots of commercial & other interests in Europe.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61188579

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Meanwhile, another one of the world's nut leaders is at it again:-

Likely trying to antagonize the US.

Reports that two missiles fired over in Japan within 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How many times has putin threatened Israel and yet Israel has bombed targets in Syria targeting Iranian or Syrian forces weekly for the last few years.....

But putin has s400s and they can shoot down any Israeli aircraft.....

Yadda yadda yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

Once the threat of nuclear weapons in an offensive capacity is introduced, there aren't really any great options. If you respond with the suggestion that you will use some kind of equivalent force, you risk raising the temperature. But if you give any indication that a nuclear threat is what will bring negotiations, you validate that tactic, and it will be used again. And then again. And then again. Up until the bluff is called.

If Mr. Putin wants to salvage any idea that he's a reasonable man, it rests on his shoulders to back down on the nuclear threat. If he wishes to be unreasonable, the rest of the world shouldn't have to humour a madman.

I have a solution to propose - Putin can offer to 'return' all annexed territories, for the sake of peace, aka to stop with the charade of unilaterally recognising these oblasts as Russian. Russia can offer to pay reparations in return for an easing of sanctions. Russia offers to withdraw forces from all Ukrainian territories. Russia shall return every single person they have forcefully displaced from Ukraine. In return, Russia shall get an internationally-observed referendum on Crimea within 5 years, but NATO and EU membership stays on the table for Ukraine. Putin and every member of his cabinet must withdraw from politics. Assurances given on the security of ethnic Russians living in Ukraine.

That's more than generous, considering the potential rout that Russian forces are currently facing in Ukraine if these counter-offensives keep up. It involves no nuclear exchange, and Putin plus cronies may even get the possibility of a quiet retirement, which is a hell of a lot more than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

lol seem fairly livid. Who or what is Poddubny ? That slide bolt sounded rough 70s-80s aks.. hmm no expert but 50s-80s would be more accurate with that wooden stock and grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

I would say Poddubny is a slang or derogatory name for Putin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

So who is supposed to be number 2?

China with their massed troops and third rate weapons systems - Russian designed but built to Chinese materials standards?

I'm not having a dig, just trying to get someone else's opinion of where things stand.

My thoughts are that after this war it is Ukraine no. 2 and Israel no.3 because the Israelis have to have learned something from their last disastrous incursion into Lebanon.

epic pretty sure I heard broken English or no Ukrainian translation for "Die bastard orcs" near the near the end were the hummers are getting out of dodge.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Sounds great, but for it to work that is essentially Russia (Putin) admitting they got it wrong to put it nicely), Putin simply won't do that, also Ukraine/the West will want Putin et all at the Hague and that also ain't going to happen, can't see any middle ground, where will it all end?

He is actually a Russian war corrospondant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evgeniy_Poddubny?wprov=sfla1

Slava Ukrainii

They have a mix of AK-47s,Ak74s and possibly a few AKMs ,all date from the 50's-70s

The lists are never ran off how much combat and history of combat a nation has taken. It's always just on numbers or troops weapons tanks ships and alike.

Your realistically looking at USA. UK, Canada, Aus, Israel then work down from there into EU. Then the others. China is another Russia.

edit I would put France at the top of the EU.

Zelensky criticised Israel last week for giving zero military aid to Ukraine and said they were pretty much useless, I don’t think they’ve sanctioned Russia either. They’ve committed numerous recent war crimes themselves and are fond of annexing land perhaps that’s why they’re hesitant to help.

ok cool I tend to go with the darker the finish the older they are. Modern ones seem more reddish or blonde. Thats before you get to the modular ones they have kinda like m4s but ak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

It doesn't matter if Putin won't admit he got it wrong. Events on the ground in Ukraine are belying his increasingly futile attempts to put a 'stronk' face on the situation, and he knows it. Even his state TV shows are bemoaning the failures of his military. If his military continues to fail, the choice becomes cutting his losses and having at least some chance of a retirement, or continuing with this increasingly unpopular and untenable war and having none. Up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

I would agree with you on France but despite the projection I can't reconcile UK or Canada as being very strong militarily. They have the training and professionalism but to use a footballing metaphor they don't have the hunger. The UK do have some of best the weapons platforms however, like they have had for centuries and despite the best efforts of more than half a century of fiscally responsible British government.

Australia are a different quantity. Good training, professionalism and half decent equipment, questionable ability - long time since they have been really tested.

Edit: these are just the musings of an armchair observer who has travelled a bit and been in a few "interesting" places.

Usually the stocks are a give away, the original AK has a pretty boxy sloped stock,

The ak74 has a slightly different stock almost longer and slimmer with a rectangle cut out on the stock which stands out more than the original one,they then started to be produced with polymer stocks and handguards usually in black,

The modular AKs are still a very recently produced some companies produce kits to add to older Aks to give a modern look with new stocks metal and handguards with keymod and mlok mounting systems for lights , optics and Lazers

• Advertisement

ofc it's just my list not bigging any particular country. I'm more looking at history of fighting and actual kit vs amount of it. I think we can all agree USA is number 1.

The Aussies are well regarded from everywhere from Vietnam to East Timor and Iraq and Afghanistan,

Currently going through a massive moderation program , for land , air and sea assets

Just to add in the Aus case I include the kiwis as they have always worked together.

edit just to add I would tend to include Canada, Aus and New Zealand as extremally close allies of the UK so would fight if called.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭jmreire

They handled it very professionally...kept undercover as the vehicle approached, and only showed one soldier until the vehicle had stopped, and the Russians started to leave it with their hands in the air. It was well covered at all times. I'd say that its becoming a common event by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Just curious but outside of nukes, what do Russia have left to throw at this situation?

Have they many planes, tanks etc and the means to have them crewed? They definitely seem to be running out of professional soldiers given the state of the cannon fodder being thrown at the Ukrainians. I'm aware of the positioning between Shoigu and Prigozin at the moment and understand their hesitancy to commit but whatever they have left in Ukraine seem to be out of just about everything and can't do much to hold what they currently have.

At this point, I can't see any success for the Russians. They're broken and I don't see how they fix it. Is their system capable of training up professional soldiers? Can they manufacture modern equipment at the necessary scale and in a timely manner? If they can, I just can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting little snippet suggesting that even Olga Skabayeva has some cop on - she shuts down a Russian propagandist when he tries to claim the Ukrainian army have poor winter gear.

I think they have 2 issues that came to a head when the invaded Ukraine.

1 Rampant corruption stuff being sold off and not maintained.

2 All the good stuff they had they chewed through in Syria to show off. Pretty sure they went ham with the cruise missiles and all that.

They have the subs and some ships capable of delivering nice things but lack the things to use.

I think it was classic tell the leader x and hope he does not notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russian doctrine has never been to avoid casualties, it's military history over the last 150 years has been defined by a complete disregard for its soldiers lives, they have always been viewed as the cheapest option in battle.

No doubt the Ukrainian losses are severe and hurting but they are fighting for their homeland and are highly motivated. The Russians are not and consistently appear to be unmotivated.

I suspect that the Ukrainian forces could care less if 600k were coming from Russia. They won't rate them and who could blame them for that?

Ultimately, the Russian forces will consolidate and hold some of what they have taken, more than what they had before the start of the current situation.

If Russia was properly led and ran it's military as a proper fighting force then they would be at the border of Moldova now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

Russian doctrine has never been to avoid casualties, it's military history over the last 150 years has been defined by a complete disregard for its soldiers lives, they have always been viewed as the cheapest option in battle

Same can be said about their disregard for civilian lives, or for civilization for that matter. This is the kind of savages they send into battle:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement