Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwatch (the second thread)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think there was a massive DDoS attack on it yesterday so not sure if many got to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Didn't get playing last night as couldn't get in, but I played the second beta, then went back to OW1 again for a few weeks, having not played in about 3 years previous.

At its core it's still such a fantastic game to play. The gameplay is tight and fluid, great selection and variety of heroes and abilities, and the back and forth between teams can be exciting.

That said, I worry about what they're doing with OW2. Going forward, new heroes will be locked deep into the battle pass system, which goes against the whole ethos of being able to switch to a different character whose abilities would help counter another etc. So how are they addressing that? Firstly, you can't play competitive until you've unlocked the new hero (they've said Competitive won't start until 2 weeks into the start of each season to gove people time to unlock the hero, but it'll still be a lot of work/grinding). Secondly, they've said they want to do away with having to pick heroes who are great at countering other heroes by trying to balance out all heroes, which makes it sound like all the heroes will become more generic and interchangeable. Plus moving to a 5v5 with only one tank means each tank now has to be more interchangeable too or are very circumstantial.

Locking heroes in the battle pass is a really sh*tty move because they're not like using different guns; their differing abilities are integral to the balance of each map in terms of how well their abilities and ults can work together etc.

So in a way, I worry about how it's going to go. But on the other hand, I only ever play Mystery Heroes, and they've said new characters will be available in those kinds of modes even without unlocking them, so none of the above will really impact me for the most part. I'll certainly be playing for the first few weeks anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Enjoying it but will definitely not put as much time into it as I did the first game.

I love ove the refresh of the UI and HUD. Everything is crisper and easier to see. Gameplay-wise, I think they are missing something with the loss of the defensive tanks. I mained Orisa for years and not sure I like her style now. I feel there is some strategy lost with the change to 5v5. I miss that second tank slot.

Also, while loot boxes are not for everyone, I had no issue with the ones on OW as it's all cosmetic. The new progression system - battle pass - is totally meh. There are probably three things I like on the whole pass - levelling up after a few hours to get a quote for a character you'll never use is pretty awful.

Was reading last night (as I still can't get into the game) that to buy a legendary skin for a character (eg. not from the battle pass but just using the in-game currency) costs about 1900coins. You can only earn the currency by completing weekly challenges, and if you grind and complete all the challenges each week, that's 60 coins per week.

So buying one legendary skin will take 7-8 months.

I had no real complaint about the loot boxes in OW1 either. You got them fairly consistently, and even though there was a lot of nonsense items in them, you'd still get skins, voicelines etc pretty regularly. And even then you'd also either get coins as an item, or a few if you got a duplication of an item you already had, so you'd still end up with coins to buy the actual item you want every few weeks too.

I get that the game is F2P now, but they're really getting the balance wrong. If I felt the currency/reward system was fair, I'd be inclined to buy the occasional battle pass and grind some others. Now I'm not inclined to try get any items and will probably be far more of an occasional player.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,277 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I seem to have unlocked the new character after only playing one game even though I dont have the battle pass.

Pain in the arse having to unlock all the old characters too though....

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Do you not get all the old characters straight away cause you bought OW1?

I didn't have them yesterday evening but I seem to now alright. Must have been a glitch.

Which new character? There are two new characters which are being given for free at launch (Junker Queen and Sojourn) and were part of the Beta. The other new hero Kikiro is the one in the Battle Pass.

I think there's still an issue where it's not recognising some accounts that owned OW1 and is treating them as new players.

Kikiro, she was only announced recently so have her in my head as newer than the other two!

• Advertisement

That's strange. Wasn't aware she was being made available, thought she was battle pass only.

Yeah that's why I was surprised when I was able to pick her on my second match. I've only done one battle pass level yet too and I'm pretty sure she is like tier 55 or something (on the free tiers at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

I unlocked all but 2 hero's yesterday... Annnnnd now today they are all locked again 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It's a disastrous launch.

Finally got playing after a 20min wait in queue. Played a few rounds of Mystery Heroes. Taking a bit of time to get used to changes to existing heroes, but other than that the game felt good. Can't see me rushing back until they fix the queuing though.

The pitiful amount of battle pass xp you get, considering how deep the new hero is in the battle pass, is shocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I jumped on for a few games this evening and enjoyed what I played. Couldn't give a shite about the battle pass or cosmetics or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I placed in silver 4.

I used to be high platinum/low diamond. How the mighty have fallen.

I like that's its only 5v5. Seems easier to break teams down at choke points.

Lots of people seem to be getting low placements relative to their rank in the first game from what I've seen.

• Advertisement

I don't mind the 5v5 either, but in modes like Mystery Heroes or Open Role etc where you can have more than one tank, it can be a nightmare. Some of their abilities, increased health bars, and balance changes due to the 5v5 make it insane if there's more than one tank. Sigma has about 625 health I think, has a barrier, and can absorb projectiles into shield. Zarya has more bubbles now too (though I'm glad of that as I always liked Zarya but felt she could be weak at times).

Really weird occasional bug where everything on screen other than the characters gun and UI is incredibly blurry, as if the character is suddenly short-sighted. Happened once on the first night after launch, but happened twice last night. No matter if I left the game and joined a new one, was still happening. Only way to fix was to close the game completely.

I googled and all the fixes appear to suggest turning off anti-aliasing settings or other graphical settings, however this is on PS5. I did try play one game like that hoping it'd fix after respawning etc, but no joy. Once it happens, just have to close the game and restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The monetization model is ass (why would I pay for a battle pass if I'm not even guaranteed to unlock everything??) but Sojourn is damn fun to use!

Advertisement