Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota bz4X

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The on board chargers (OBC) themselves usually operate at 32A on our domestic voltage of 230V giving a power of 7.36kW. There will then be some efficiency losses generally between 5% and 10%. If it's 10% you are left with 6.6kW.

The difference between a car advertised as having a 6.6kW OBC and a 7.2kW OBC is negligible enough that it shouldn't really be a factor in your purchase decision, either way it's going to charge at 32A on a domestic Irish supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Exactly, if you plan to charge at home and have a standard home electricity supply then it's only going to give around 6.6kW max anyway so irrelevant whether the car takes 6.6, 7 or 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I don't think so. I've seen a couple of reviews and both have mentioned the slower at home ac charging as a disappointment so unless they have their wires crossed I believe its going to charge slower at home by about 15% which actually means u may not get a full charge overnight

15% is a big difference when u consider the size of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

just plug it in an hour or two earlier than usual, pay the full rate, most it will cost is 1.20 an hour, it will make ionity seem cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's highly unlikely you would be charging from anywhere near empty too. And most of the time not up to 100 either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

So are we saying there is a difference then? I'm lost haha

How about Toyota just put the proper charging tech in the car instead of making excuses, sure just plug it in for a few extra hours

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭society4

Anyone an idea when this car will be delivered… been told previously Nov/Dec but is that realistic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’d be shocked if any of these cars are on the road in Ireland in 2022….. and I’d even seriously doubt we’ll see a 231 reg one either!!

Seriously you think it might never be launched !1

Not saying never.

but the silence coming from Toyota HQ is fairly deafening…..

and there’s only 95 days left of 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

From my understanding , Tesla does not have an SUV. RAV4 is the best selling SUV in USA. so imagine what would happen when Toyota comes out with an electric SUV -bz4x in the market with a price of 45000 euros and in American market just 44000 dollars. America wants Elon Musk to be the world's richest man and Tesla to be sold. So they will pressurise Japan. So the car won't be coming in the near future, but I expect will be delivered by January for those who booked; others will have to wait for at least one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

My dealer told me that they're expecting to know more by mid-October as they'll be getting delivey date info from Toyota Ireland for everything arriving before Christmas.

If it does arrive before Christmas, I suspect that most of us won't be driving off the forecourt with them until at least Tuesday 3rd January 2023 at the earliest.

That’s sounds more like it….do u think it will have the 11w onboard charger…at least it will be 231 reg…..now I just hope Toyota honour the trade in…

I suspect that most of us won't be driving off the forecourt with them until at least Tuesday 3rd January 2023 at the earliest.

You'll get it sooner than that if you wanted....

When I collected my mothers new Avensis in 2009, we collected it on January 2nd, but they did offer it to us on Jan 1st if we wanted!!

I watched this Taiwanese review below of the BZ4X the other day. It's in Chinese, but if you select Subtitles -> Chinese (Taiwan) and then select Auto-translate and then select English from the list it'll give you the English subs for it.

It's an interesting review in that they do a range test and they do a DC charging speed test and the key take-away points in it are that the max range that they got from 100% down to zero was 347km and the max CCS DC charging speed that they were getting was a peak of around 75kw.

They mention that car has an advertised range of 626km, but this is based on Taiwans version of the WLTP which is called NEDC and the calculation for it is an outdated formula that they've been using in Taiwan for decades for all cars.

The 100% fully charged range showed 447km and even though they only got 347km range in their range test - it is worth pointing out that the outside temperature was mid-20's and they did have the air-con turned on for the whole range test trip which would account for 100km-ish range loss and they did mention that there was two of them in the car that would be extra weight. The review is worth a watch.

Post edited by HTCJoeSoap on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Bioscaller

I am still interested in the car even though I dropped my deposit and went for an ID4 but I got some bad news regarding the Bz4x from German dealers which already have had cars delivered in June.

There is still no update regarding a fix and delivered cars from June/July are still parked up at dealers or compounds which Toyota Germany had to rent out to facilitate extra space as most dealers just dont have the space to store those recalled Bz4x`s.

Autohaus Weber I talked to have currently 79 Bx4x parked up since June that awaiting the fix which hasn't been issued yet.

New orders and delivery's have been scheduled for early March next year but those models still wont have the 11kw onboard charger according to Lars in Autohaus Weber in Hanau.

So its fair to say we wont see any Bz in Ireland for at least another 6 months.

Pity.

I thought there was to be an announcement in Oct and possibly deliveries Jan…the wait continues….

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭petronelduca

Oh great…hopefully a Nov delivery but if it’s Dec it’s probably best to wait until Jan to collect….

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vimalandrew

I cant wait until January. I want it on November. I had booked it in July. Toyota website says 2022 bookings are over.

• Advertisement

So there was an issue with the side curtain airbags too……

According to a filing with Japan’s transport ministry, Toyota has vowed to ensure all hub bolts on the EVs are replaced and properly tightened going forward, a relatively easy fix to the previous recall. 

Toyota shared that while addressing the recall, it discovered another potential issue. This time involving the airbags of the EVs, stating it had fixed the issue before it became one. Good thing too. The defect apparently affected installation of the curtain-shield airbags, which are designed to prevent head injuries during a crash.

It's good news... but I still don't want mine till January if possible.

And with the 11kW AC charger if you can push for that…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

“For all subject vehicles in the U.S., the hub bolts will be replaced with newly designed hub bolts with washers and the wheels will be replaced with improved ones.”

Wheels to also be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Editing my post...

The electrek link made the fix for the wheels looks simpler then it was.

Looks like they've changed the bolt design and other stuff.

Hopefully they've successfully fixed the issue.

Update received from Toyota Ireland.

Production will start soon and I will be notified of the new delivery date.

Fingers crossed.

I wonder does that mean production of parts not the full car as a lot of them are already in HQ so may be a matter of just fitting the new parts.

No idea, and I don't think anyone outside Toyota can say for sure.

Bottom line, there is hope for us to drive these beauties before year end.

I for one, don't care what type of charger it comes with.

I was told by my Toyota dealer at the time of the recall at the end of June that all the Irish BZ4X's were in a compound in Cork and were going to be held there until further notice. I'd say the bulk of them are still there, but I did also see on other forums that there was some at Dublin port too.

• Advertisement

I wonder are they plugging them in to charge them, as a BEV sitting idle for 6 months can't be a good thing...

Advertisement