Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizen Head to Malin Head Cycle

Options
  • 05-10-2022 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, a group of 4/5 are going to attempt Mizen Head to Malin Head over 7 days next Summer for charity. We all have medium experience on the bike. Looking for tips from anybody who's ever done it. Things like:

1) Tips for getting to the start point?

2) Would we get away with a backpack and packing fresh each morning with fuel etc, as well and stopping to fuel up along the way each day as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

HI.

done it twice 5 & 3 day

Cork and Donegal are lumpy so be ready for some hills.

Stay in barleycove hotel - 2km from start

Malin head hotel(if open) good spot afterwards.

Have a support van to go ahead for foodstops/breakdowns - recommended though tough for a driver over 7 days.

shortest route straight up the middle of country circa 600kms -Mizen/Limerick/Ballinamore/Malin

longer route hugging the coastline more scenic but 700kms Mizen/killarney/lehinch/galway/ballindine/Donegal town/Malin

top tips

1.Chammy cream

2.Eat and drink regularly 30mins small amounts but regularly.

3.cold weather gear & plenty of bibs and base layers.

Malin head is 14km beyond malin town and its a lumpy 14km.

Enjoy,keep the pace steady and rotate!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cododonnell

Fair play for such a comprehensive answer - that was really helpful! I know you recommended a support van, but do you reckon its doable without it? I think we'd struggle to get a volunteer for that long!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Avoid doing it on a week with a bank holiday - very difficult to get accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

Interested in the logistics for this as I'm thinking of signing up for the Cystic Fibrosis Mizen to Malin next year.

A couple of friends do this every year. I'll ask them if they have any tips, advice and post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

We did this as a group of 10 this year.mostly leisure cyclists. Done it over 3 days(4 really)bank holiday weekend

day 1 Friday mizen to Schull 25km

day 2 Saturday Schull to thurles 220km

day 3 Sunday thurles to enniskillen 192km

day 4 Monday enniskillen to malin 148km

You need a support van to take bags and equipment. Our support driver brought his bike and cycled out with us every day for 30-40km and returned to collect the van (another 30-40km)and leapfrogged us to the next destination.this way he also got something out of the trip. I think you’d struggle to get a support driver for longer

a private hire bus dropped us down to mizen with our bikes and we were able to stretch our legs by cycling back to Schull on the Friday.this meant we didn’t have to leave so early and were able to have breakfast before departure. We deliberately done a longer day first with shorter second and shorter again last day.the bus then picked us up again on the last day(Monday .most of these riders were leisure only but regular training from January ensured everyone was well capable. The pace was a steady 24kph. We had all day to cycle so took our time.we only need 3 different hotels to stay in. Best of luck

Post edited by meercat on

• Advertisement
Advertisement