Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I always got the impression that if McConville has something to say he says it, or speaks his mind regardless of the timing. This is more of that by the looks of it, it could be taken as sour grapes as he didn't get involved but he is honest about that disapointment and why he thought Dempsey would have been a better option. Id have all the more respect for him for it too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I'd agree, they seems like honest comments rather than bitterness to me. There's definitely a chance that there could be too many cooks involved in McStay's team but I guess that's McStay's job to make sure everyone knows their role and that everything runs smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Mcconville always came across as totally honest and I would have loved to have seen him involved in Mayo. He always had big time for us over the years as a pundit and came across as fair. I hope he does well in wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Both Dempsey's and McStay's team were very strong and the no nonsense/straight shooting element of Dempsey and McConville was a big part of the appeal of that team. But I think there's a little bit of irony / hypocrisy with McConville's comments about too many cooks... given that he went a took a job as a chef somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think that's it - Dempsey had announced a team that was larger than what McStay had announced when thing were in the mix. I'm sure there are other counties with backroom teams much larger than McStay has put together to date. I just thought it odd in terms of what he had to say. I'd have a lot of time for McConville but his comments did come across as a bit of sour grapes. Perhaps it was always going to be the way he was going to answer, he's hardly going to make out that McStay had a better ticket compiled when the one he himself was proposed on wasn't selected.

Being honest I'd have been happy with either McStay or Dempsey's team, though McStay ticket has more inter county management experience than what Dempsey was proposing, so possibly shaded it for me.

I think the too many cooks / strong personalities comment is a bit lazy analysis of the McStay ticket as well. I can see where it's coming from and I was guilty of thinking the same initially, but when you look at it:

Rochford is quite happy to be an assistant and he's not a forceful character imo.

McHale is well used to his role with McStay.

Mulligan is new and fresh, he might be a strong character and may have aspirations of having the top job in time, but I would be fairly sure he's there to learn and contribute.

It's a strong team, I think McConville was a little out of order with his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

His comments re the backroom team make no sense, if Dempsey got the gig he would have a similar sized team surely? Comes across as bitter and mean spirited tbh, would have expected more from him

Ballina Vs Claremorris

Castlebar Vs Knockmore

Breaffy Vs Ballintubber

Westport Vs Garymore

Some big games to look forward to next weekend

TG4 covering Castlebar Knockmore and Breaffy Ballintubber on Sunday from McHale park

• Advertisement

Should be two good games but it's misery having them in a +80% empty McHale Park

Have always enjoyed / thought there's a good atmosphere at the double headers. Would have thought that this one should be busier than average given the teams playing, even despite the TV coverage... but the weather might play a big factor in that.

Was at the Knockmore game in Charlestown and while we won, it was harder than it should have been. We were 6 or 7 up with ~15 to go and let Ballagh back into it with some sloppy play, loads of fellas overplaying the ball instead of keeping it simple.

Massive improvement needed to beat Castlebar on Sunday, Orme, Kevin Mc, Dempsey and to a lesser extent Peter Naughton need to improve a lot if we're going to progress. Darren McHale was probably the only one you could say played really well on Sunday, maybe P Ruttledge also.

Castlebar @ 2/1 is huge odds considering they're playing at home 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Advertisement

Yeah its a big improvement !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,439 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Big weekend

Should be a tight game between us and Castlebar. Fancy Breaffy, Ballina and Westport in the other three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

Jason Doc is getting married tomorrow. Congrats to both of them. Hopefully, he'll still be around next year.

I think if you picked the two most unappreciated Mayo footballers, it would be the Doc and Kevin McLoughlin. Not to Mayo supporters, though. They epitomise every thing good about that team. Pure unselfishness. Andy emphasised in his book , that he would never have lasted or made player of the year, without those lads doing the donkey work, covering back and breaking with the ball. Making him look good by supplying the ball so he could finish it off.

All the best Doc, don't even think of retiring.......

(Good job, Parke bet them last week, though😬)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The McHale Park pitch looks in great condition for this time of year.

Heading out to hurling (!) now with the kids so will catch up with these games later on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

First game a borefeast

• Advertisement

Second game never got going either, really subdued atmosphere at the games.

From a Breaffy point of view, a very disappointing performance. No real game plan other than Aidan in at full forward and that didn't work at all. No real surprise tbh, there was a sense that it worked for the group games but that better teams would be able to deal with it.

Great to see Cillian back from a Mayo perspective, he was the best player on the pitch imo. So good and so intelligent.

Fair play to Castlebar, I thought their youth might be found out a bit but I was wrong. I think you would have to say that Knockmore had the look of a tired team, maybe the hunger wasn't there, maybe the focus wasn't there with all that went on with the Mayo job. Great champions all the same, it'll be hard call the next winners.

Castlebar deserved winners, we could have sneaked a draw but it wasn't to be. Tough on Orme to miss that last one when he had probably been our best player yesterday imo. Two great years and hopefully there's a couple more in this team.

Castlebar have a very well defined defensive system, they don't contest kickouts and everyone drops back to about the 65 immediately and it's very hard to break down. They scored some cracking points yesterday from distance but I wonder if they'll struggle on a day when those don't go over, there was hardly anyone inside as an option for the kicker. Alternatively, if they're chasing a game, that defensive system won't be as effective as you have to push more men forward so I think they'll need a plan B.

V small crowd in Castlebar yesterday, I think those games would have been better played elsewhere although castlebar obviously suits for the TV. Pitch was in great condition though.

Still very hard to call, Ballintubber probably a bit behind the other 3 but they're the only ones who have the experience of winning it.

Was at the knockmore V Carnacon game yesterday too, very exciting match and great to eek out the win against a great club

Thought the crowd was dire yesterday. You had called it before but I genuinely thought there would be a decent crowd / atmosphere given the teams involved.

Would agree re worrying about Castlebar to some extent, but I've been thinking they might be a bit short so far and I've been wrong on that as well.

Thought Orme was very good, I might have expected too much from him for Mayo last year but he looks like a guy who is getting there in terms of his strength. Could be a very important player under McStay if he can keep up his progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Looks like another f1uck up by the connaught

The Connaught and one man in particular have been embarrassing themselves for a long time now.It looks like they're looking to do it on a national stage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Are the Connacht for real here, whatever about making a mistake but to then leave up an incorrect headline is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

Hennelly was poor again from a long high ball for the first goal . Cillian took full advantage of playing with him for years and knew he is slow off his line and barely left the ground, to try and jump . Need more goalkeeper options tried out in league next year . Great servant but that goal was embarrassing for a county standard keeper

I only saw it in real time but I'm not sure it was Hennellys fault, theres a lot of Breaffy lads between him and the ball that should have taken care of that

Disappointing result for us on Sunday, Castlebar deserved it, very well set defensively. They'll probably need to score more to beat Westport. Very impressed with Ethan Gibbons and Gavin Durcan. Knockmore looked like a tired team, the good thing is we probably won't lose anyone from that team and its very young.

It'll be a f**king nightmare if Ballina win it

Ladies had a great win against Carnacon, destroyed them in the first half and then Carnacon took over and looked like they'd go on to win until we saved a penalty. Held on after that. Some very questionable tactics on the kickouts

• Advertisement

That goal was the defenders fault more than the goalie,you can't blame Hennelly for defenders letting the ball bounce out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

There will be some that will look to pin global warming on the man, never understood the lengths some people will go to in order to blame Hennelly 100% for every goal scored, while ignoring the flaws of others.

Well Clarke didn't cause global warming... so by a matter of deduction, Hennelly has to have caused it!

A joke obviously, but the truth isn't a million miles away from that. It all goes back to the Clarke/Hennelly divide/debate/debacle imo. Views entrenched from that time continue to this day.

For a county that prides ourselves on supporting our players, it's a shame Hennelly is subject to some real nonsense at times.

That ball on Sunday was never a keepers ball, it bounced outside the square, we had a county midfielder and a former county player make a real mess of dealing with it. It was then a case of Hennelly with a standing start over Cillian who had the run on him. No contest.

Ah lads, Leeroy obviously caused global warning......

He certainly played his part but Lee is probably more to blame for the single-use, throw-away society we have become!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Enda McG is teasing a couple of rumours on twitter, anyone any idea what they could be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

It's a long way from Knockmore to Limerick. I'd say Ray has too much sense

• Advertisement

I'm sure it was made worth his while it would make sense!

Would make sense really. The lack of intercounty management probably was a big factor in him not getting the Mayo job. Limerick is a bit of a win win situation.

What does success look like with Limerick though? Same goes for Andy, I kow its great to get intercounty experience but IMO you're better off at a big club

I was actually looking at it from the what does failure look like angle.

They probably won't expect to stay up in Div 2, no real expectations in the Championship. That's why I think of it as a bit of a win win, he'll get the intercounty experience without a whole pile of expectations around it.

He might be better of with a big club but I think the bigger county boards like to see previous intercounty experience. It just seems like a box that has to be ticked.

And I can see the reasoning behind it tbh, an intercounty job is a step up.

And on the other hand, he might see himself as having done all he can do with Knockmore?

Going for the Mayo job has to have been a bit of a distraction this year and it might be hard to get back to where he was with the players before that? Sometimes things like that just change the dynamic for good.

Agreed - even to have a managerial job that involves that logistics of an Intercounty team is big

Lot to answer for, county board meetings etc. Lot of stuff you just don’t get at club level (have seen it myself at lower level Hurling county teams)

Honestly he could come out of county management hating it - you’d never know

• Advertisement

Confirmed now

I think it’s good for him and Limerick. I suppose if there’s one negative is that it’s highly unlikely ever going to a ‘long-term’ job, but what is now really

It’s a stepping stone role and I’d say him and Limerick understand that

I think looking back it probably was a distraction, when you couple it with the burn out it all adds up

Best of luck to him, I'd be delighted to see him do well, a very genuine fella

John Brogan probably favourite to get the Knockmore job now. I'd love to see Kevin O'Neill involved, he had a very brief stint as a temporary coach a few years back and the lads raved about him. Tony McDonnell also in with a good shout

Hope it goes well for him, with two county titles in Knockmore, he can be happy with what he's achieved although he may feel like we could have won a Connacht with a bit of luck. Thanks for two great years Ray

Presumably, Limerick will have a decent budget with McManus backing them so his backroom team will be interesting

Has McManus not pulled out or was that just rumours?

• Advertisement
Advertisement