Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's over, isn't it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You really should separate out the intimacy bit from your general frustration at help with household tasks. Most relationships function better with an understanding about how often you have sex. If you're denying this on the basis of being pissed off, that will further eat away at him. Not a good strategy on your part. You haven't answered though, if you are giving the chap sufficient time & space to do these things. Don't demand that things be done, that puts the other persons back up. Say it would be helpful if they did so & so, get to point where they agree to do it and leave it up to them to do it in their own time. Don't step in and do it yourself, just because they haven't don't whatever the moment you wanted it done. That's controlling behaviour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Phones, phones, phones.

I'm going to be honest here and say that I would cheerfully fling my OH's phone over a cliff at the first opportunity. He drives me demented with it. I have regularly told him put the **** phone away and actually pay attention when doing bedtime, getting the kids out the door to school, trying to move them along getting dressed - spending 20 mins browsing utter rubbish on the phone then arriving down and shouting at the kids because they aren't ready to get out the door and he is, it's his fault. Not the kids.

Some men seem to need that spelled out to them (some women too).

This is tricky Kylith. Because while I agree that the phone is a problem, the autism contributes to that. What I mean is that if he is playing a game on a phone, the rest of the world basically won't exist. He does not hear his child standing in front of him looking for attention. It's a hallmark of ASD.

I truly apologise for sweeping generalisations here, because I know there are plenty of great partners out there, but from my own experience and from listening to the experience of many friends, initiative is often lacking in many relationships when it comes to housework, cleaning and lifting the mental load - planning ahead to realise one child needs minding while the other is taken to ECCE. Again with autism, it's magnified (look up "executive functioning"). There is a debate really, about whether women make this worse by just getting on with doing all of the lifting - I think we do it for the kids mainly.

So I guess the question for you is is it worth while getting help for yourself to figure out way to help him get into the habit of managing day to day life with children? I would suggest, if you don't already, have a weekly planner and spell.it.out. day by day. Monday, 9am - you are childminding, I am doing the school run. Monday afternoon - I am working, you are doing the school run. Put the times beside it. And so on.Every week it goes up on the wall, you look through it with him Sunday nights. The sleeping thing - start saying you are doing breakfast on alternate days, and poke him awake on his days. Pointing out that an earlier bedtime will help him get up on those mornings might be useful....

But underneath all of this is do you want to? Do you want to go to the effort of getting him more involved in parenting his own children? Do you want to stay in a relationship with him? There are things and processes you can both use to help him be more involved, but do you want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

I think the key here is in whether you can work together to resolve the major issues and develop a better partnership going forward. It will take work from both of you, and is more likely to succeed with the help of a therapist who understands the impact of autism on an intimate relationship.

Op look up Melissa Orlov, she provides some good insights for circumstances like yours.

Finally, don't be tempted to think you can just kick your partner out, and live happily ever after having removed that particular problem from your life. He is your children's father, and he has as much right to live in the house as you. I'm not saying you shouldn't break up if that's what needs to happen, just that it won't be a quick, easy or straightforward process, its good to be aware of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The problem is saying it would be helpful is not going to mean anything to someone who is autistic. You have to say "can you do this please now". Doesn't mean you have to be rude or shout it, but hints and suggestions do not work.

I am not making autism the excuse for everything here, but there are subtle things like that which make it a little harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Also to add, what treatment or therapy does he receive for his autism? There would be help available from Occupational Therapists for example. He may find other types of therapy or certain activities therapeutic which would help him to be in a better headspace at home.

Not saying it's your job to "save" him, just that if he is not receiving adequate professional or other help he may struggle to have the capacity to change his behaviour to the extent you might be looking for.

You say he works, so he can obviously manage tasks and interactions with people well enough in that environment. That shows you that it is also possible for him to manage that at home also if he gets the right supports in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

This relationship is entirely unbalanced and you aren’t on equal footing at all. The way you describe your partner almost sounds like you are describing a child or teenager.

While he sounds frustrating you probably have to ask yourself how you contributed to this role division. Btw, I would refuse to do anything if someone, particularly my partner told me to do something.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Counselling can help a couple separate more amicably, and figure out how to focus on how to parent effectively as separated parents - it's not just a tool to help couples stay together.

You sound like you've three kids, not 2. I remember hearing "you can't be a lover and a mother to a bloke" from a friend when I was with a boyfriend who seemed to expect me to sort out his life admin for him, and I think that's often true.

You aren't the first to have brushed aside the red flags - or thought that a committed relationship and kids would change a person. Don't beat yourself up about it - it's expected that when your partner becomes a parent something changes in terms of their priorities. It's healthier for the kids though that if you want to separate, that you do that while the kids are younger rather than older.

I wish you luck in the next stage, I'm sure you'll have ups and downs but you sound like you've got a good support group around you. Seek legal advice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

he sounds depressed to me

you dont mention anything about what either of you do to cope with his autism. is it managed and monitered

no mention of how either of ye change yourselves to cope with the autism.

no mention of what you are doing to help him

seem like a clasic case of i will change him later . people generally dont change that much and very rarely by being forced. a lot of people go into a marrage thinking that the other person will stop being themselves and do what the other person wants. people often marry a gamer messy person , overly tidy, likes going out to the pub with mates etc and then are shocked when the other person wants to stay doing what they always did

sounds like you settled for him so you could have kids not because you love him

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

>>Mod snip<<

Post deleted and warning applied for being in breach of charter

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishliamo

Hi Kylith, I felt compelled to respond to you. I am in my 40's, ASD and married with children (happily). I have scrolled boards.ie for years but today was the first time I wanted to write something I felt was possibly worthwhile to someone online; I don't interact on-line much, that's just my preference.

There is a lot of empathy coming from your OP which tears at my heartstrings. Living with ASD is no excuse for ignorant behaviour, we can all rewire our brains and thoughts but it takes time. You have clearly gone above and beyond and my simple honest advise is to take a trial seperation pending some counselling. It may make him realise what he is missing in case he is taking things for granted and may help restore your self-worth in whatever shape your future holds. Be kind to yourself and I wish you all the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

That's why you need counselling.

You say, you don't need one because you tell him, what needs to be done. But are you able to get through to him? Does he hear you? It all might fall on deaf ear because of the way you both communicate.

You don't fight, because you leave, when he tries to tell somethings, on the other hand you yell at him. It is not healthy way of communication from both sides.

Counselling would help even for break up. It can teach him to be more responsible person, so you won't be afraid to leave kids with him.

How exactly can I 'try harder' when I'm doing virtually everything 6 days a week?

Maybe that's what is wrong? You are doing too much, so he doesn't have to. Counselling would help with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

but that just proves that the excuse of 'oh well men are untidy' is bollox.......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

level 1

top post is probably the best advice here, in regards asd, im autistic myself, but the disorder is absolutely no excuse for disrespectful behavior, yes we are developmentally delayed, but there truly is a time to step up to the mark, and when someone commits to spending their life with you, and when kids are involved, that time is now!

i suspect both of you need counselling at this stage, and possible some couples therapy also, if you can get things to that stage, but this behavior cannot go on, everyone will eventually become deeply unhappy. to a degree i can understand where the op's partner is coming from, but his behavior is still wrong, its not easy being neurodivergent in an nt world, its frankly overwhelming most of the time, the crippling depression and anxiety probably being the worst, but again, its not an excuse.

definitely trial separation, you both need space to figure things out, it would be truly devastating to see the end of the relationship, breakups are beyond dreadful for me, generally leading to more severe depression, its a very painful disorder....

just beware op, the chances of your kids developing the disorder are high, so.....

he needs to start creating far more productive and healthier routines, including regular exercise, and with the kids also, naturally this will help with bonding, but also any anxiety issues hes dealing with. excessive phone use can sometimes be related to 'thought-blocking' behaviors, its done to reduce anxiety issues, but can of course become 'maladaptive', which i think is the case here, its not good for anyone, disconnection is required from time to time, but when its excessive, its excessive! i have to disconnect in the evenings, be completely alone, this helps with reducing anxiety and stress, and helps greatly with sleep, but i have no kids, so, its a completely different story.... he still needs some alone time though, but he also needs to do his fair share...

currently cant think of anything else, but i ll link these autism channels, there might be some better advice on them

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I think we're going off topic here. It's not a generalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hi All, I'd like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply, especially the ND folks who have given me a window into how OH may be processing everything.

I'd also like to thank the person who suggested Melissa Orlov, I'm going to get some of those books. I'm also going to talk to him about going to counselling so that we can hopefully figure each other out.

Someone asked if I give him time to complete tasks: yes I do. For example: hoovering was on the list for yesterday, and he started hoovering at 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes it's over and in truth has been for quite a while

This part stands out for me

[Quote=kylith] Our love life is nil since our youngest was born, I tell him it's hormones but it's not just that; when I used to want to he'd do or say something that would completely turn me off (not even something he'd do sexually, but having to nag someone to put stuff in the dishwasher or clean up after themselves is not very sexy) and eventually any feeling just went away.[/quote]

That's two years of lack of intimacy and rejection. You are lying to him and there is no feeling towards him. That's the relationship over

The fact that he is autistic will make it harder for to change and yes his cleaning habits etc are not ideal in any relationship

It's good that you can move back with your parents but things may not be easier when you're separated

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

What will he do once you move away? Has he got family that he can return to?

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

id also recommend tony Attwood's work, he does a regular questions and answers on the autism hangout channel, linked above, he mentions marriage and parenting issues from time to time also during those conversations.

his routines are all over the place, this is very unhealthy for him, and the entire household, he should be well settled by 11pm, and trying to sleep, as sleep is generally a major problem for us with the disorder, and a solid healthy routine is critical in trying to achieve this.

you re a saint in trying to understand the disorder, many simply wouldnt go to the trouble, it shows your character and love for him, but he must learn how to appropriately respond to your efforts, or else.....

just be aware, pure autism is rare, so more than likely hes also dealing with other 'co-morbid' disorders, disorders such as ad(h)d, learning disabilities such as dyslexia are very common, as is the case with myself, has he been diagnosed, and received supports and help for such?

here is psychiatrist tracy marks explaining add

...and her main channel

purple ella is a mother with autism, and sometimes explains the issues with parenting and the disorder

theres probably tons of other related channels on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

What a load of ignorant nonsense. If the OP didn't know that Autism was a factor, she wouldn't have mentioned it in the OP. She obviously does realise it can be an issue in relationships. But sure, lets follow your train of thought(lessness) and the next time a wheelchair user is blocked by a car parked on the pavement, tell them to stop whining and to get up off their hole and walk around the car like everyone else!

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Get over yourself, and your wheelchair analogy is incoherent drivel.

The OP is getting lots of replies and advice about how to deal with autism, and they all involve her doing more, her making more effort, her adapting to the condition. A lot of people starting from the position of, "he has autism, you need to accept that but here are ways you can look after him better".

It's perfectly valid to point out that she has value too, she has a life and it is ok if she decides that she deserves more than just being an unpaid carer.

If the husband posted looking for advice then my reply would be different for him, but he didn't, the op did, so my reply was to her.

• Advertisement

this is very much untrue, the op's partner needs to change, but may require professional guidance in doing so, this is actually the advice that has been given by some, including myself, the op may also require professional guidance and therapy, to try resolve the situation, which of course may lead to the end of the relationship, but of course, may also save it, which would be a better solution for all. the op's partners behavior is dysfunctional for themselves and of course for all involved, and requires alteration, and professional help is probably whats needed here

Of course OP has value and she should value her time as well. While much of her effort is enabling his behaviour. The advice here is to learn how to channel this effort more efficiently to change her husband behaviour. The best with professional help.

Autism is something, what she accepted before marrying him I suppose, so it can't be a deal breaker. It is not about "looking after him better" only finding ways around his condition to make it helpful to her.

If you married a deaf partner and knew their condition, wouldn't you learn sign language?

If I married a deaf person, and years later found that they were ignoring their children because they were deaf, were useless around the house because they were deaf, were totally self absorbed because they were deaf, and I was no longer attracted to them because they were deaf...

then the advice I want to hear is not "5 ways to make their life better". I would want to hear about the ways to make "my" life better.

I also don't agree with the dealbreaker point. If she wants to consider it a deal breaker today then she has every right to do that. Again, she only has one life, she does not have to lock herself into misery for the rest of it because of bad choices in the past.

OP life would be better with the help of her husband. And the advice here was mostly, what to do to get that help.

Of course, if he stays that way after professional help, the OP has her choices, which will be then with no guilt attached. So easier to do. OP wouldn't ask, if it was easy for her to do.

OP question was, if it is over. So my answer is yes. The relationship you had uptill now is over, but you have a choice to change it with professional help or to leave the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Hoping or expecting the partner to magically change and pull his weight once children were added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ignoring the red flags and marrying him anyway because she wanted children. It's right there in the OP.

I think some posters are being incredibly unfair to Kylith. It sounds like she has bent over backwards to accommodate his condition and is now - understandably - at the absolute end of her tether. She needs constructive advice, not judgement for not being able to "save" him.

is having a reasonably common disorder a red flag now? you ll probably find most humans have some sort of dysfunctional behaviors of which professional guidance would probably help, yet that probably rarely occurs, most complex psychological disorders are probably undiagnosed, therefore untreated. we know far more about such disorders now, we have far better understanding of them, how to appropriately deal with them, but what we dont have is adequate supports for the individuals that struggle with such disorders, and for their loved ones. the op has actually been expressing her empathy and compassion for her partner and his disorder throughout their relationship, and still is, by asking complete strangers for advice, she absolutely does not need any sort of judgements from us strangers, but hopefully constructive advice on how to proceed

Marrying a grown man who ignores his children so that he can play on his phone.

• Advertisement

again, you must understand the disorder, to try understand the behavior, there could be a multitude of issues occurring here, the excessive phone use could be a learned behavior, to avoid activities, to deal with excessive anxiety issues, whats sometimes called a 'thought-blocker', but is now no longer functioning, if it ever was, i.e. its dysfunctional behavior and very self destructive.

parenthood could be simply over whelming the op's partner, resulting in such behaviors, when we become overwhelmed, we tend towards our 'thought-blockers', and sometimes leading to 'shutdown', whereby we are unable to truly function appropriately, or whats required for certain situations.

the op's partner probably also struggles with sensory processing issues, i.e. sensitivity to certain noises, light stimulation etc etc, a household of young kids can be very triggering, but he must learn how to deal with this, by using noise cancelling headphones, ear plugs etc, at appropriate times of course

...and this is where the professionals are required, to try trash out whats causing these behaviors, and how to appropriately deal with them...

Advertisement