Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Feed?

Options
  • 20-09-2022 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Okay. Got some chickens. Variety. Giving them " Layer Pellets " in their feeder. Must say, the enthusiasm is underwhelming.

Chuck down a handful of generic " Wild Bird Seed "? Ballistic! 😮

I was saying to someone, today; 'It must be like the difference between a plate of spuds. Or a Dinner.' (Interestingly; I see they leave the black sunflower seeds. Probably the most expensive content. I'll sweep that up and chuck it where the wild birds can get it)

So, is there anything wrong with giving them the wild bird stuff? I search DDG for " Chicken Corn " ~ visualising ladies in long frocks and aprons, throwing handfuls of something to scattering flocks of free roaming chickens. It always throws up some chicken forums, state side. There they're saying corn isn't clever. But, of course, to them " corn " means Maize.

These poor birds are banged up in a small pen, for now. They can't forage much on concrete. I don't care what it costs to keep them happy. Bland pellets certainly aren't. Can I let loose with the good gear?; At least till I let them out. When they can go smash it, on the track anyway. Along with everything from sparrows to the crows, who all seem to do alright on it.

Is there any sort of chicken version of the wild bird mixes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭treascon

We mix layers pellets with rolled barley and they eat it just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

Now, That's an idea! I wonder if mixing the pellets with the wild will encourage them to eat more of the pellets?

Can't honestly see the seed doing them any harm. Pheasant loves it, as do all the others. I'm just surmising there might be something in the 'fancy' pellets they should be getting. That, and the fact I'd simply like to see them eating more. They really don't seem sold on these pellets.

Of course, with the benefit of 20/20? I Might have asked what they were used to being fed already 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chickens are nature’s compost heaps. If you want eggs it is recommended that you feed them layers but you can supplement that with most things you can eat (onions, lemons/limes and avocados are not good) plus grass and hedge clippings.

One of our neighbours had a gardener round to clean up their garden. He was going to bring the cuttings/clipping to the dump. I asked him for it.

A quick mulch with the lawnmower and two days later, gone!

For gods sake, Gloom, Don't tell anyone I've just been out there, crawling around the meadow with a sandwich box and pair of scissors!!! 😂

Seriously, I can't wait to let these poor little souls get out there and do their Thang.

This morning, I took them a fifty fifty mix of pellets and bird seed. Smashed! 😲 Made me seriously wonder if they'd even touched their pellets, till then. I'll take them some more, presently.

What's the tower box, 'right side' of ye photo's? Feeder? Mine have the usual thing; Hanging bell with a tray beneath it. Bloody water one's Useless!!! Three Times now, since hanging That, yesterday, I've found the bottom on the floor! Bloody thing!

Off into town, presently. I'll look the girl in the creamery dead in the eyes when I ask her if she has chicken nipples I can have a look at 🙄 Bet she'll never have heard That one before, eh?

Anyway, yes; Pellets for egg production? Nah. As per my other thread on here, " Guinea Fowl ", this lot are just part of my grand master plan. I want them to ~ eventually ~ hatch and rear me some guinea's eggs 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Your feed supplier will have 20kg bag of mixed grain. I can't find it online but will post a pic if I can find it.

We mix org layers pellets with rolled barley (about 60/40) and occasionally a few scoops of the grain above.

I got a gift recently of a bag of wild bird seed which will be mixed in too.

• Advertisement

My 'feed supplier' is Connaught Gold. I'll be in there, presently, grabbing a new sack of wild bird mix. I'll ask them about 'chicken feed' / mixed grain. Must admit, now I think of it? Yes. I Did actually just grab what I saw on the shelf.

That may be the devil in it. They tend to show the stuff for 'the people', on the shelves. Those who know what they're doing tend to pick up the big sacks, out the back.

This is good 🙂 I've had them on bird food, all week. Seem happy with that. I'm desperately low on that and was eyeballing those remaining pellets, considering what ratio to mix those in, for who. If I now come home from town with Two 20 kilo sacks? Wouldn't That be a bonus? 😎

Thanks.

Well ...!!! I Did come home with a sack of each. Chickens got out, yesterday. I was doing something in there and the door swung open as my back was turned.

Absolutely fantastic! I was in tears, just watching them be chickens! 😂 Hilarious things! Eating grass like it was going out of fashion. Doing that whole scratch. Hop back. Have a look thing. So nice to see them off the concrete 'exercise yard'.

Anyway, yeah; Pellets? If it's that or starve. Wild Bird feed? That they'll eat. But, much as they'll eat grass, grit and just about anything else they find. Proper 'Chicken Corn Mix'?! My god!!! They Smashed it! 😲 Ye'd think they hadn't been fed in a week!

So, yeah. From now on, it's bird feed, for the birds. Chickens get their corn. So, that's that established 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Naah. Got them, what? Two weeks ago yesterday. Found three eggs, over the first several days. Nothing since. Not interested.

My intended purpose, for these, is to raise me some Guinea Fowl, from eggs I'll buy in. Of course, should the retarded rooster last till spring? More Goldtops would be refreshing 🙂

I've read, elsewhere, that adding water to those pellets can make them much more acceptable? Probably save that idea then, lest we get any semblance of a winter. Make them a warm breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Great stuff altogether!

• Advertisement

Yeppers. I finally found the proper sacks of corn mix. I stuck it to the ceiling, to get a shot:

Never heard of the brand before. (My horses Love their Redmills 'Cool 'n Cooked'!)

Chickens like the corn though. Looks like this:

That seem a reasonable ratio? I'm more used to eyeballing wild bird feed mixes.

Oh, and I also ordered then some Crushed Oyster Shell? I just wasn't happy with the (Bought for canaries) Grit I was giving them. That went down a storm! Like 'This is what we've been waiting for!'

Big shout out and Thanks to Mac Eoin too! Ordered stuff, on line. Greenway Couriers were at my gate in less than 24 hours! (Poor drivers mate lost it completely, laughing at the antics of my somewhat 'challenged' Silkie cock, and I. Me having to practically scoop him up and remove him from in front of the tyres)

Chickens are brilliant, aren't they? Never a dull moment with them.

Oyster shell and grit is very expensive, €10 for a small tub. Baked egg shells are just as good I believe. Ask a local restaurant/breakfast cafe if they can keep some aside for you. Bake them in a 180c oven for 5 minutes then a very quick blitz in the food processor and sprinkle them around their run or in a feeder.

I don't have an oven, actually, Gloom 😐️ Never mind though; Tenner for five kilo's ~ granted, that does equate to a small bucket, yeah ~ I can cover that. Half a dozen chickens (Yeah, I know. That's what they all say. Pet flocks have a way of expanding, exponentially ..... 😁 What's a man to do?)

But, no; It's not as if I got these birds as part of a subsistence living plan. I just crunch my egg shells and sling them on the horse pile.

Say! As we're, broadly, talking about things chicken sustaining? I advised the manageress of the creamery to stop selling those accursed drinkers! Some bloody Dutch name, or something? Totally useless! Industry standard twist lock things. White top. Orange bottom. Like a million similar ones. But, christ! I'd fill it up. *Ever so carefully* put it together. Put it on the ground?

Half hour later, repeat! Top would pop and it'd empty. Lovely, if ye using expensive medication in one! 😮 Use a small box now.Bungee strapped into place. Absolutely no problem. Looking for a small Eltex one. Purely nostalgia. But, I do like old, galvanised gear.

Now, ye want to talk about Expensive ....?! 😲 (Not to mention Hens Teeth!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Grass cuttings isn't re om ended as it. An clog up tbeir gizzard as its so fine.

I make sure mine is credit card sized. Been doing it for years, no harm done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Got to your farm store and buy a large bag. It's much cheaper

Advertisement