Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

There's a difference between players being able to sign and Connacht having money to pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well these guys had not be paid in September and have no employer, so that might be very very cheap on short-term contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Thought Cathal Forde was very good yesterday against the Pumas, would like to see him get those minutes. If we have any extra money it should be put in a kitty for a TH. If we pick up an injury there, and with FB on managed minutes, we risk total collapse.

On a related point, is it my imagination or has Tom Daly struggled since returning from injury last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I have thought the same about Daly, he's nowhere near his 20/21 form imo. Seems to be struggling in defence, especially defending on the outside, and has been a lot quieter on the ball also. Haven't noticed his kicking game being a factor in a while either .

Team to play Munster tomorrow:

15. Conor Fitzgerald (55)

14. John Porch (62)

13. Byron Ralston (3)

12. David Hawkshaw (3)

11. Mack Hansen (16)

10. Jack Carty (180) (C)

9. Kieran Marmion (212)

1. Denis Buckley (211)

2. Dave Heffernan (168)

3. Finlay Bealham (176)

4. Gavin Thornbury (65)

5. Oisín Dowling (27)

6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (3)

7. Conor Oliver (43)

8. Jarrad Butler (97)

16. Grant Stewart (1)

17. Peter Dooley (3)

18. Jack Aungier (34)

19. Niall Murray (37)

20. Josh Murphy (3)

21. Colm Reilly (10)

22. Tom Daly (63)

23. Paul Boyle (75)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Great to have Carty and Thornbury back.

Backline is ah interesting I guess. Given the games so far, probably hard not to make big changes but Conor Fitz’s first start at 15 in a long time, Hawkshaw and Ralston in the centres, hard to see them finding the cohesion that has been lacking.

Yes, great to see Jack back. And while that 12/13 combination doesn't inspire, I haven't seen Fekitoa/Goggins knocking down doors so far either. Meanwhile the interviews continue for a 15, don't think Conor Fitz is the answer but it's a good string to his bow as a 22. But WTF is going on in the back three, neither Wootton nor Byrne picked again, wonder if there's something up.

In good news, the injury update this week has Blade back, along with Duggan and Kilgallen. Delahunt is also training but not available for selection.

Hard to understand Wootton’s absence in particular, given he was pretty impressive last season.

Can’t understand Porch not getting a shot at 15, he done well in the couple of games he got there in recent seasons.

Good to have positive injury update for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

I had just assumed there must be a few injured or sick from the remaining backs in the squad Wooton and Byrne as you mentioned but also Tom Farrell, Oran McN and ToH (I know those guys have played in the opening games and not exactly excelled but surprised to see none of the 5 in the 23 man squad if they are fit)

I would be surprised if we were going for the 6-2 split on the bench again if some of those guys are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Munster 23 as named: Joey Carbery; Conor Phillips, Malakai Fekitoa, Dan Goggin, Patrick Campbell; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Edwin Edogbo, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Fionn Gibbons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I agree. Saw pictures of Wootton in training during the week but there must be a knock or something.

Great to have Jack back. And looking forward to seeing SHL in the flesh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I've been thinking about Porch not playing FB a bit too. My thinking is that they are expecting both Porch, because he's NIQ, and TOH to be gone at the end of the season so they are focusing on trying to find a successor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

One thing that strikes me about the team is we essentially have 3 tens, plus Daly on the bench so I wonder are we planning on doing a good bit of kicking for territory?

That’s about the only thing that makes sense but it’s foolish if right. Worry about this season first surely….

Can still give others opportunities in European games/Porch not available etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hawkshaw has played 12 before. He was quite good. Fitz at fb wil be interesting, could turn out to be good.

Porch's future came up quite recently, some posters being of the belief that his closeness to AF would mean that he would leave with him. I don't get that. This is his fourth year here, he has been a success and is popular. I recall that his gf moved here and was looking for (and presumably found) a job. Considering the condition we're in, he'd be a big loss. Connacht should make him a good offer and try and keep him.

That said, it may be that Mack would be a better 15. We should try it properly.

Be great to keep him but don’t think Connacht will be able to as he can’t qualify for Ireland due to Australia 7s I believe. The IRFU typically limits how long NIQ players can stay, there have been some exceptions of course with Pienaar probably the most notable one. Jenkins going into his third year here with Leinster after two with Munster.

But I would guess him only signing a year extension was more related to his NIQ status than his close relationship with Friend.

Strange team. Doesn't look like a particularly well balanced back row, and there's a severe lack of carriers throughout the pack. Disappointed Matthew Burke hasn't been involved after a good last season. Is he injured?

Backline is odd, could be a bit all over the place but I am happy to see us with a genuine second five eighth at 12, feels like the first time since Ronaldson? Would rather see Hansen at 15 and Byrne/Wootton/Jennings on the wing.

I have no idea why we rotate so much. If you look at Ulster, they pick their best players week in week out where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I'm of the same belief. It's simply strange. There is consistency missing. And how can anyone work a consistent plan without a consistent team. I tend to agree that both Toms have been less than amazing since return from injury. And yet they have featured regularly until both are dropped at the same time. And Conor Fitz starts I believe for the first time at fullback. It's like the players don't understand the plan so the management team will change them until the plan emerges. It's just totally weird and it certainly isn't a normal way of doing things. It's like the coaching staff has no belief in the players they select so they will try anything

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

They rarely picked Ultan last season either once they knew he was on his way. It’s a very strange policy when you have a squad that lacks depth. Surely we should pick teams to win as many matches as possible in the season we’re in……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Was that not more about Ultans form? Any time he did play he was far from his best

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Perhaps, but my preference would have been to use him more regularly given his record and international experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A lot of people seem to rate Carthy, I don't. He's the reason we are behind in this game. Simple kicks missed. He also kicked it out over the end line giving Munster possession in midfield which ended up in a converted penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Should have put munster away by more than that, Munster were woeful.

That said we were at it today. We made mistakes that kept munster in the game but there was some good signs for us today.

Bealham was rightly player of the match but that's as well as heff has played in a long time. Really had the bit between his teeth and was getting in the oppositions face. Don't mind if he doesn't tap and go again though!!

That game was won in the set piece, huge performance from our pack but especially our tight five. Dooley was excellent off the bench too. Any improvement in attack was negligible. Munster didn't really offer much to question our defence but I thought it was ropey enough during the one spell they managed to put some phases together. More of Hawkshaw at 12 please.

Munster are absolutely dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Whilst true that munster weren't exactly explosive in attack there needs to be some credit to our defense.

The games against the saffas stood to us as the physicality was really good. Lots of double tackles and big hits with some great work done by the second rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Carty's first game in 6 months. Let's be fair it's like a pre season for him. We won and that's all that matters. I am actually looking forward to next week now just to see how things progress. Munster are a complete **** show at the moment but I can see there younger player quickly replace the vanguard. Jesus Murray reminded me of a spectator at a gaa game giving about about every ref's decision that he didn't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

How did Hawkshaw go lads? Only saw brief highlights but he had a lovely carry in the phase before Hansen went over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Thought Hawkshaw and Ralston did well as a new combo but then the Munster centres were anonymous. Hawkshaw ran well and stood up in challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Tap and Go wasn’t his fault. Munster should have been penalized for coming off the line early. Then Scanell just flops over the top of the ruck, preventing a clear out. Busby is a poor ref but that was just criminal to miss both of those when he was perfectly positioned to see them.

Advertisement