Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Squatting en masse by Irish citizens in Ballybofey/Stranorlar and similar places would highlight the issue big time. I wonder if local councillors, politicians or neighbours/residents in such places would condemn their fellow citizens for doing such a thing?

It is peaceful, it is just, but would any group organise it and do it? I doubt any adverse publicity would ensue against citizens on the housing list anyway.

But never mind, Sinn Fein will come to the rescue when elected and put a cap in place, put Irish citizens first, and monitor the numbers arriving won't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You know in the time we have their down to a trickle odd that. 

Write some words down on pieces of paper, throw them in the air, post?

The fact that 70 hotels have rooms available in Dublin this weekend might not be as big a victory as you think it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 captain dildano

I had a quick look at the hotels in Dublin this weekend as some people are so adamant that there's not a shortage of accomodation. A 2 star hostel is looking for 260 euro a night, special offer 579 for 2 nights. Now if that isn't an obvious sign that something is woefully wrong then some people are being obtuse. There are no hotel rooms at all in my county or the next available for the foreseeable future. My elderly in laws were talking about coming over to see us from the UK and we've been trying to put them off as we'd have to sleep on the floor and give them our bed. Last time they were here they stayed in a lovely local hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I had a quick, a 4 star leisure centre popped up for 450.

But if your point is Dublin hotels rip people off, well where have been the past 20 years? 😕

Which 2 counties are you referring to that have no hotel rooms?

Also no way we are giving up the comfy bed for elderly parents, fúck that. 😂

Post edited by Boggles on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

That's insane but some people would tell you black is white here.

It's not a problem, it's all in your head.

Listened to Pat Kenny this morning talking about the situation in Donegal. Folks are waking up.

Government ministers waffling on about 'obligations to the EU' blah blah..literally had NO ANSWERS to what can be done as more and more asylum seekers arrive. Nothing.

This! Big match on in Lansdowne? Ratchet up the prices. Bank holiday weekend? Ratchet up the prices. A festival or couple of big gigs on? Ratchet up the prices.

Then plead your industry needs a reduced VAT rate because... mumble mumble we donated cough mumble.

Hotel accommodation has always been tight, and expensive, in Dublin, since the recovery got underway. It's nothing new. There is still availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, it's not like the pandemic didn't throw a spanner into things. Hotels haven't been able to staff up. Link to IT article behind paywall:

Tourism and hospitality staffing crisis easing as employers hike pay rates

Fáilte Ireland research suggests shortage is still hampering the sector but it has started to ease

It's weird isn't, it's going on for years but for some strange reason certain people only became aware of it or ultra concerned about it since March really. 🤷‍♂️

No one said it was a victory. Days ago she claimed there hundreds of hotels with availability. That was a lie, it was less than 70. I corrected that.

You butted yourself in to it asking what was I on about it’s not 70 rooms. I never said it was only 70 rooms. Not my fault you can’t distinguish the difference between hotels and rooms. Remedial stuff.

• Advertisement

"A lie" "Butted yourself in" "Remedial stuff" 🙄

It could also have been a simple mistake.

The way you're mistaken about less than 70 hotels. It was 74 hotels for this weekend when I checked last night. 70 for the weekend after. Not "less than 70". Does that make you a "liar"? FFS. Slightly mistaken, maybe exaggerating a bit.

Yes, I "butted in" on a private discussion that's not being held on a public message board.

You seem to be missing the point that there is plenty of hotel availability in Dublin, if you can afford it. Same as it's been for years. It's not today or yesterday that Dublin was being called one of the most expensive tourist venues in Europe. Remedial stuff, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It's gotten much worse.

Prices have shot up 30% since precovid times.

Stop trying to claim it was the same before. It's not.

It was expensive before. Now they are extortionate, especially on weekends.

And now the problem is across the entire country. For instance Cork city rates have shot up 37%. Greedy bastards.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/economy/arid-40975451.html

I used booking.com there was less than 70 and I cited booking.com when I said it was less than 70 days ago. A huge difference from hundreds . Now it’s 61 so no , no lie or exaggeration from me.

And no, I’m missing no point. You missed the point completely when you butted in last night without reading what was said properly and not understanding the difference between hotels and rooms. But sure keep going around in circles because you can’t admit you got it wrong.

Room occupancy rates in July reached 86% in Cork, remaining slightly below July 2019 levels. It was the same for hotels in Dublin and Galway whose occupancy rates were down 2% and 1% respectively

So not supply and demand but more labour shortages caused by Covid and energy prices.

So instead of dropping their savagely high prices from 2019 they just lumped on. I'm sorry but my sympathies for Hotels particularly ones in urban areas is nil apart from the odd few who make a point of not fleecing people. The reduced VAT which was introduced to be passed onto customers never happened.

Absolutely no excuse for a 400% increase in the average price of hotel room just because Ed Sheeran happens to be town.

Absolutely fascinating study from failte ireland in May here: https://www.failteireland.ie/FailteIreland/media/WebsiteStructure/Documents/Publications/failte-ireland-hotel-survey-final-summary-report-may-2022.pdf

The 'where do locals go' data statement puts paid to the locals vacationing can't find rooms in Dublin stuff here:

"Among the eight counties with sufficient source market data, the highest concentration of Republic of Ireland guests was in Mayo, Cork (both 79%) and Kildare (77%). Meanwhile, hotels in Dublin, Donegal and Clare welcomed the lowest proportion of domestic guests (29%, 35% and 37%, respectively). Overseas tourists accounted for 35% of guests during the month which was the highest since the survey restarted. This was heavily influenced by Dublin and Clare as around 60% of guests in these counties were from overseas (63% and 58%, respectively). For Dublin, May was the third consecutive month when overseas visitors accounted for more than half of all guests. Galway and Donegal hotels also attracted a high proportion of overseas tourists (48% and 44%, respectively) with each seeing a particularly steep increase (of 20 or more percentage points) compared with April 2022. As seen in previous months, hotels in Donegal had the highest proportion of Northern Ireland guests (21%). They also accounted for a notable share (16%) of guests in Kildare hotels."

What I find interesting in that article, which covers costs and availability, are things like:

The IHF said Dublin has 22,492 hotel and guesthouse rooms registered with Fáilte Ireland, and it estimates that 17.6 per cent of hotel rooms taken due to “Government contracted business and rooms out of service due to reduced staffing levels, staff accommodation allocations, supplier issues and refurbishment projects... It said supply issues are further compounded by delays in the construction sector due to the pandemic.

Plenty of good data out there available with a quick google (in chrome) for 'number of hotel rooms available in dublin 2022'

I think there's a lot of inaccurate reporting on hotel rooms. For example, a month ago a county newspaper listed the hotels that are block booked in the county for refugees. There are 4 that they didn't mention. All of these are large hotels. The claim that 75% of hotels were block booked was inaccurate as all of the hotels are accommodating refugees. I won't even bother to get into an arguement about it because there are people on this thread who are simply unwilling to acknowledge that there's a major problem with accommodating refugees.

I don't know if it's trolling, skin in the game or what the issue is with those people. Realistically, it seems likely that next Summer many cafes, bars and restaurants will have gone bust because of the lack of tourism this year and next. There's few places for tourists to stay, those that are available are unaffordable to many and businesses that relied on passing trade from hotels are impacted by the falling numbers. 260 euro a night for a 2 star hostel is insanity. I think some people want this country turned into 1 big Direct Provision island. Our young people and the children of foreign nationals who've studied here can leave as far as these folks are concerned.

Frankly, I think it's avoiding answering questions about what they pay employees. Anything but that. Having a good friend whose partner is from Germany, it seems that the contracts hotel workers are put on in Ireland wouldn't cut the mustard in Germany, long hours, bad compensation, ...

I don't know if it's trolling, skin in the game or what the issue is with those people

You just got reams of data and a report from Bord Failte.

So what you are basically is everyone who disagrees with you is a troll or a vested interest.

Principal Skinner - It's them not me.jpeg.

So we're agreed that "less than 70" (your claim - but presumably close enough to 70) to 74 hotels (my claim) had availability last night for this weekend? Grand. 70 different hotels having availability for an October weekend in the nation's capital shows that yes, there's plenty of choice available. All expensive, but again that is nothing new. Hotels vs hotel rooms is mere pedantry at this point.

But sure keep going around in circles because you can’t admit you got it wrong.

This is where I got something wrong, you (as it happens) pointed out the actual fact, and I went to the bother of thanking you for pointing it out, so nah - barking up the wrong tree on that one. 😉

You said “What are you talking about? 70 hotels have availability; that's not 70 hotel rooms” I never said it was just 70 rooms I said hotels. You got that wrong. It’s as simple as that.

Whether or not you admitted you were wrong about something else has no bearing on this matter. It just simply shows you have form for getting things wrong on this thread lol

• Advertisement

And admit it when I do. Unlike some, I also provide sources for stuff I post, and in general try to address the post, not the poster. I don't always succeed. /shrug

I used Booking.com late last night and there were 103 hotels with availability for tomorrow (Friday) night in Dublin. Weekend nights have always been expensive.

Now, back on topic. I still feel that we’ve done the right thing.

If you say so, wouldn’t be like you to spread false information …. 82 for Friday night as of now on booking . Drops to 59 for Friday/Saturday which was your original lie a few days back when you said there was hundreds of hotels available for a 2 night weekend stay for 2 people.

What is it about your House that makes it unsuitable for hosting Ukrainians? Even one. You said last night it was unsuitable after you preached to someone last night who was hosting a family of 4 so I’m just curious. Unsuitable or you just don’t want them?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oh dont worry about me I found the whole conversation amusing ! MA also declared that her volunteering was more productive than hosting and that hosts are “ paid “ to host !!! Made me laugh because we have a family of four in our previously vacant house . We could rent it for about €2500 a month but chose not to . We get €400 a month which just about covers heating oil , electricity , bins , broadband etc . I thought I was quite productive getting schools organised , english lessons for the adults sorted , one child with a long term illness sorted in the clinic , a CV organised for one of the adults , SW and revenue sorted etc . But seemingly that not really productive enough to count !!!

I like to stand back and see a mask slip and true colours shine through !!

106 hotels (not rooms!) as of right now on Trivago, for the whole weekend 7th to 9th October and for the weekend after that. So that makes you LIAR! Or, y'know, you posted something in good faith, but it wasn't the whole picture...

Now we can put this off-topic conversation to bed (no pun intended) and lay off the personal attacks?

interesting clip from Rnag Barrscéalta yesterday.

36 Ukrainains registered in Pobal Scoil Chloich Cheann Fhaola, but only 22 actually the school, because there is no transport available. It's a remote area with little in the way of public transport.

the local Irish language planning officer, expresses his concern about the linguistic effects of the Ukranains on small Gaeltacht schools who are trying to have an immersion policy in Irish.

Éadaoin Nic Géidigh Pobal Scoil Chloich Cheann Fhaola agus Dónall Ó Cnáimhsí Oifigeach Pleanála Teanga an Iarthuaiscirt. | Barrscéalta - RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta (rte.ie)

I didn’t respond to your previous post to me and you ask me to drop it while you quote me again bringing it up. Haha

I don’t know what you’re smoking but can I have some? The literally link you just sent LOL. 106 you say? Jesus haha

It's actually 58 hotels now, I was shocked to see that Jury's Christchurch is 800 euro for this Friday and Saturday. I stayed there and it really isn't worth that. I've spent less on luxury hotels in Italy. The Ashling hotel is overpriced too, almost 300 a night. Last time I stayed there we froze all night, just as well we had to be at the airport at 5am as the vent in the room let so much cold air and noise in we wouldn't have got any sleep.

Again, public thread, I'm entitled to reply to public posts.

My bad, my maths was off. I'm using the desktop version, it doesn't list the number of results. But there are 4 pages of results. The first three pages are 25 results each, the last page has 6 results. So: 81. It's still 81 right now. Not 58. Not 79.

And same filter - those dates, 2 adults, 1 room, hotels only.

Bottom line remains that there are lots of hotels with availability and lots of expensive hotel rooms.

As was always the case for weekends in Dublin. The Ukrainian situation doesn't help, but it's not the root cause.

• Advertisement

Bottom line is you were wrong again. Just move on.

Advertisement