Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Some interesting things happening just under the surface in Russia:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

Another dark night of the soul for Vladimir Solovyov. He's more jubilant when he's accompanied by a panel of speakers fantasizing about the West consumed by nuclear fire, but here in his solo slots, he's like a haunted character from an Edgar Allan Poe story, brooding over the ashes of what we once called a superpower...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’m about to go down a rabbit hole. I clicked on the thread with the video. Remember yesterday and the Russians with the very old guns, mental health issues, etc video? Well, that Twitter thread believes it was staged and was to discredit Shoigu.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭Cordell

My mistake.

The thing is, I'm originally from a country that was "liberated" and "denazified" then occupied and subverted by them before, and my grandparents told me stories in which the actually did exactly that. And they were simple people, they didn't even know what propaganda means. So maybe you can understand now why I had no issue believing it. And while many decades had past since then, they seem to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Now that western countries have given so many arms to Ukraine, what are western weapons stores like? Does the west have ample reserves of conventional armaments in the event of a direct clash with Russia or China?

What is the production process like for western missile systems, drones, fighter aircraft, guns, uniforms, tanks, ships, etc? Has it ramped up at all?

I recall at the beginning of the war, Germany's armed forces were considered unfit for purpose; and Poland's army performed abysmally in a war game against an invader from the east shortly before Ukraine was invaded.

I have little doubt about the capabilities of the French, British and Finns, and none whatever about the Americans, but the rest of NATO - with the exception of Turkey perhaps - has underinvested in their militaries in recent decades. Is that not so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Ohh I wish Elon would give it a rest now. It seems he wants to keep digging. Has someone started feeding him this stuff recently?

He obviously doesn't really have much of a clue about what he is going on about, but its worrying he is about to buy Twitter soon, and his views really can influence a lot of people. Russian propaganda starting to use them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭thomil

Oh, for sure. both you and @Wes M. are certainly right about the initial looks and the current mindset in Ukraine. I won't deny that there's something weird about the dentist just keeping those extracted teeth. I'd have expected a medical professional to know how to dispose of these things.

However, what gets me is the sheer vitriol and vociferousness of these attacks. A journalist who has consistently been pushing for the west, and in particular Germany, to step up its support for Ukraine has suddenly become the target of attacks that are similar in nature to the ongoing attacks on Elon Musk. I get that Ukraine is fighting for survival and that certain peacetime subtleties are left by the wayside as a consequence, but this rabid monopolization of the narrative might very well come back to bite Ukraine further down the line.

EDIT: Oh, and just to clarify, Elon Musk deserves those attacks. He's been a loose cannon and a risk for some years now and needs to be reined in!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

This is interesting. It's seems that Ireland is not the only country struggling to pay their soldiers. Here, a Russian soldier pleads with his superiors for payment prior to mobilisation and also asks if mortgages and loan repayments could be frozen during their time in the army.

Thanks @odyssey06

Although some U.S. stocks are running low, alternatives―older, experimental, or nonstandard systems―are available, and these will constitute an increasingly large proportion of transfers. The United States might also acquire some stocks from third countries. The reliance on alternatives does not indicate a lack of commitment or a reduction in military capability. These systems can still be effective on the battlefield. However, they are an acknowledgment that the U.S. military was not structured to fight or support an extended conflict. That should, of itself, spark some debate in the national security establishment about budget priorities. In the meantime, the flow of weapons and munitions will continue, as will the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@[Deleted User] I recall at the beginning of the war, Germany's armed forces were considered unfit for purpose; and Poland's army performed abysmally in a war game against an invader from the east shortly before Ukraine was invaded.

And yet the Russian army couldn't get that far into ukraine, yet the chap on YouTube claims Poland would lose 80% of its manpower almost immediately against Russia,

Bollix - and in Polands defense they are currently modernising and restructuring their defense abilities,new American aircraft, Abrams tanks, Apache gunships, advanced field weaponry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

True. Ukrainians are very dependent on foreign aid, foreign assistance, solidarity and world attention. Their very lives and freedom and identify depend on it, everything hinges on that support. Naturally they try to control the narrative as much as possible (if they don't, the Russians will), and unfortunately there are some side effects to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yathink he might need some cash from Vladdy to buy Twitter again? This is getting even more embarrassing for Elon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

WSJ article, avoids paywalls:

Good quote: "“There are some problems you can buy your way out of,” she said. “This is one of them.”"

My guess is this will get resolved, a bit of publicity hounding by the Pentagon to ensure the trough is kept full at all times by the US taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

So there are basically three* separate Russian organisations fighting in Ukraine:

1. The Russian Armed forces - with Sergei Shoigu at the top as Minister of Defence
    2. The Chechen armed forces - with Ramzan Kadyrov as their head (nominally part of #1 but de-facto independent)
    3. PMC Wagner - run by Yevgeny Prigozhin

All of these are ultimately loyal to Putin but there seems to not be much loyalty to each other. As things have been getting worse on the battlefield the internal jostling between these guys seems to be intensifying with Shoigu and the Army coming in for a lot of criticism in particular.

A lot of people have taken notice of the public relations campaign that Prigozhin has been running in recent weeks. Lots of videos of him looking dynamic, meeting his men on the front-lines, attending a funeral, holding 3am meetings. At the same time Wagner have been involved in a sort of Groundhog Day offensive against the city of Bakhmut. At this stage with the fronts collapsing elsewhere this city has less and less strategic value and yet that's what Wagner seems to continue to focus on. At the same time they are pulling fresh recruits from prisons within Russia and using them for the most dangerous tasks. Putting all of this together there is a theory that Prigozhin is saving the bulk of his troops for whatever comes next. He's no fool. He can see the writing is on the wall when it comes to Ukraine. He's already planning for the internal fight that comes afterwards.

That arrest yesterday of one of Prigozhin's social media guys is quite telling. It shows that Shoigu (or possibly even Putin) is no fool and are wise to what he's been up to. At the same time they need Wagner to continue to fight in Ukraine though so they cannot afford to antagonise him too much, for now.

I'm not sure how Kadyrov factors into the above. He's certainly been putting the boot into the army himself and Putin appears to be keen to keep him sweet by giving him the rank of Colonel General. In any internal conflict it would be difficult to see the Chechans have too much power outside of the Caucuses. I'd be keeping an open ear to see if he says anything about Wagner or Prigozhn.

Interesting times....

*There's also the LNR and DPR forces but they have no real power or respect - especially within Russia

Most recent parliamentary elections looked a bit different also. Accepting he created some massively successful and innovative ventures, Musk really is a nasty and dangerous individual who will twist anything rather than actually admit he was wrong. Sounds like many boards posters in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Russian state TV these days is hilarious. Poor Vladimir Solovyov is sounding like he needs a good cry. When your own side are pathetic losers, it is hard to then believe in your own right wing facisist propaganda. The whole notion of having a 'superior race' or a 'superior state'.. that's just crumbling right now before their eyes. The great Mother Russia, which has produced some of history's greatest minds, and once great superpower has been reduced to a joke. Rotten to the core. Impotent, incapable and weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

They've been handed their arses and made fools of by the west. All they have is the threat of nuclear weapons and that's it. Pathetic country and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

I saw some highlights of a big meeting in Russia yesterday I think. Putin was pontificating his usual drivel and the one person that stood out was Kadyrov. His body language showed a complete lack of belief and respect for what Putin was saying. I wouldn't be surprised if he fancies his chances in overthrowing the government since he's been so outspoken on using nukes (whether he genuinely wants to or is just saying this to make Putin look weak is anyones guess). I'd imagine if there has been any mutterings of taking over he'll want to carve out a nice chunk of territory in the greater Caucus/Crimea region. Prigozhin, Kdayrov and probably a few behind the scenes pushing for getting rid of Putin seems fairly logical. The big IF here is whether a civil movement can take hold and beat them to the punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

I don't see Kadyrov taking over. He's not a serious politician in any way. More of a shite talking warlord. Plus, the impression I get is that Russian public opinion is not one hundred percent positive towards Chechens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There is not a chance that Kadyrov - a Muslim, a Chechen - will take over Russia. None. Zero.

He could back the next leader - who will be an Orthodox Russian - and be rewarded for it, but it can't be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Oh yeah, sorry. I didn't mean I could see him taking over but I could see him involved in supporting an overthrowing to carve out more control for himself.

Just as an aside....

The war colors so many things. I'm listening right now to a very good Russian ambient-Industrial album made by a collective based in Perm. The liner notes of the CD states "This album is dedicated to the victims of totalitarian regimes". But I wonder where are these 5 or 6 guys now ? Did they head for Kazakhstan, or were they swept up in the mobilization order ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,536 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Elephant in the room is that the TV heads are not allowed discuss the obvious failings. Putin is an unhinged dictator and useless military strategist, Russia is a mafia state, deeply corrupt and exists to keep oligarchs rich and the rest of the country poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement