Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

First of all, naming installers isn't allowed.

Secondly the most recent version of the guideline is €1k per 2kWh, not 2.5kWh. So a 5kWh battery should add €2.5k to the price. I've seen a few offering Dyness, PylonTech etc for close to that.

Thirdly there are still plenty of installers whose overall price will come very close to the guide. Not on it or under it, but very close to it which has always been the advice. Even if their battery price is higher, I'm looking at the total picture.

So either:

A - you are an installer rubbishing the guide prices in order to justify high prices

B - you haven't looked hard enough for a better price

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

It looks like you can only fit 6 panels on your South roof and 4 panels on the South East roof beside the chimney.

Currently I am installing KStar inverters with the matching 5KW batteries. I personally believe the battery is by far the best option for PV and not to rely 100% on feed in tariff as that could easily change.

Typical cost for 10 panels 4.1KW , Kstar 3680KW hybrid, 5KW battery and Eddie diverter is €12,500 inc VAT before €2,400 SEAI grant. Without battery I would use another brand inverter (possibly Huawei 4KW) the cost would be €10,400 inc vat

Other notes There is 3 people home daytime. We have an EV but mileage is very little. EV would be home each day. Car charger is zappi so myenergi hot water diverter makes app sense. All showers are pumped from hot tank.

I don't know if battery makes sense for my use case.

I would prefer 7kW inverter.

With split roof I think that means evening generation will be impacted once sun does not hit south east roof unless optimisers used. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Can I ask a question, had system installed about 3 weeks ago by Enniskillen lads, no invoice or request for payment of the balance as yet, how long after install did they send final invoice?

Also I have E/W split array, 6 by 395kw on each, know its Sept/Oct but most I've ever seen produced at any one time is circ 2.5kw, in summer time would you expect this to be a lot higher taking advantage of the 2 roofs, or just maybe getting similar production but over longer period due to arrays on 2 sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

On the output part. Yeah, that’s normal this time of year afaik. I’ve similar setup with a 4.9kWp E/W split (but E is bulk in my case). I’m only live 2+ months myself. I’m not getting above 2.5kw and even those are brief ‘peaks’ at the mo (bar weather is changeable of course). E/W won’t get the same peak of S but will span for longer of the day. So from 12pm onwards I get better output.

Even the scorcher in Aug (pure blue skies for a week) I was maxing at 3.2kw (from 4.9kWp setup). But it held that for 3 hours and was a perfect curve. Ok, the heat was reducing that output too for everyone.

@Jonathan mentioned that E/W arrays suffer more than S in winter. So is what it is for those of us without a S roof. That said, we get a longer span and if weather is muck early or late and then clears, we benefit.

@bullit_dodger said that NW will suffer a lot in winter, which mine is (more than W) and I can see that stats wise. Helps extend the power in the longest days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

your production is about right. With the sun getting lower and lower at noon, the "slant angle" to your panels is getting worse and worse as we go into Winter. Expect about 1kw-1.5kw as your max in the middle of winter. But come next Apr/May you'll be banging out 4-4.5Kw :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Thanks all for the comments, so all looks normal then,

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Anyone have any experience installing solar on your typical Dublin Urban small 1930s ex-council terrace? How feasible is it? I rarely see solar on old inner City Dublin houses, but Im starting to shop around and get the project rolling.

Yeah, I see a load popping up in Inchicore + Drimnagh. Roughly same age houses you’re taking about. 2+3 bed terraced house. Some have fit 10 on each side of the roof depending on the width (5 wide, 2 high). They are 1m wide. Terraced ones fit more than end of terrace (I’m end of terrace and house is old). 

Measure the width of your house in meters from outside and gives a rough idea how many you can fit. Can't go right to the edge for grant rules. But installers will tell you once they start to quote. 5.5m wide would likely fit 5 panels width wise. Less than that and you’re on 4 panels width…and so on.

Rock on and get quotes :) 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have gotten 5kWh dyness batteries with my install for just under 2.5k after vat.

I don’t see it coming down to people being right or wrong of the cost you should pay. It all comes down to what works for people price wise.

The 'rule of thumb' pricings are targets. And I paid more when I paid the deposit ~5 months ago. But I was ok with that. So with any target, people could get better, same or worse. On smaller setups the economies of scale aren’t there for installer so labour will be a higher % overall.  Smaller setups can be slow – I am one due to a small roof and no other space to put panels and had to use 4 roofs for 16 panels (to max the roof out). Took days more of install time.

Solar as a service is likely a lower cost for smaller setups. But seems to be hit and miss in terms of follow up from people asking for info. I never got those quotes as didn’t know about it at the time.

Some are getting that price or lower. But in general, we’re not seeing many on this thread I feel. Which tells us the price the market can demand. Solar is ‘hot’ right now (bad pun I know). And if rock bottom pricing means a competent sparks but who is new to solar, I personally will pay more for a solar company with a history. Sure, I won't need them once it's setup most likely. But I'm paying them for a solid design as much as the installation itself.

I bought a 2nd hand EV a few months ago. And it cost more than I wanted to pay. But that was the market! So I had a choice to buy, or not. I didn’t panic and I shopped around and was happy with what I bought. I’m the same with my solar.  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Im getting two 4KwH batteries with 100% DoD so equivalent to 5KwH batteries for 1700 euro a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nicthemic

Hi folks,

Received a first quote and would appreciate any feedback as I am new to this!

• 22 415watt panels, total system size 9.13kw.
    • 6kw Inverter
    • 5kw battery

Total after grant is €17,200.

If I have followed the rule of thumb correctly, €1.2k x 9.13kw + 2x2.5kw batter would come just shy of €13,000 after grant.

Front of house is South West facing and would have 10 panels, and 12 on the NW side.

Our annual usage is approx 8000kwh and the proposal estimates we could generate just shy of 7000kwh in a year with this setup.

Any inputs or feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Thats a nice system that. ~9Kwp is at the "top end" of what most people can do realistically (yeah, I'm looking at you unkel/slave ;-)

Any chance you could reverse the roofs or is that the max that each can host. i.e. 12 on the SW and 10 on the NW. Naturally the more south facing you have, the better.

Money wise - it's a bit on the pricey side by a few K. I reckon €13-€14K would sound about right for that spec, maybe even a little lower. The formula tends to work in favour better with the bigger systems. The installation spreadsheet

contains the lists of the "usual suspects" that people have used on the formus. I'd give a few of these a call also.

7000kwhr a year is on the bigger side. You got a lot of people in the house and or heat pump, EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭manshay

Hi,

I have accepted the exact same quote, to the euro, I presume from the same supplier! The panels excluding the battery are close to the "rule of thumb" value. I was quoted for a 5kw Huawei battery which had a value of €5k in the quote, the Huawei battery is rated for a high number of charges and discharges than some of the cheaper makes. My engineer brother works with Huawei equipment in commercial solar, they are considered the most reliable brand. I was happy to pay the extra for equipment which is less likely to fail.

I removed the eddi as I think it offers low value for money with a battery system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I've now had 8 quotations. 4 very professional and 4 chancers with the usual sales patter.

Best quote works out at €1,625 per kwp. Highest quote was €2,560 per kwp

As for batteries, most advised me that they didn't make economic sense and they wouldn't use the cheaper ones out there. Prices ranged from €1,200 for a 2.4 kw one to €5,000 for a 5kw one

Just my experience

You can buy a 5Kwhr battery from midsummer.ie (granted ex-vat) for €2333

Midsummer Renewables

Don't forget that midsummer are making a few quid as well at €2333, so the solar installers/suppliers who get the "reseller rate" would getting the batteries cheaper than what midsummer are flogging them for. Just saying.....

Panels are ~€250 each (including vat) for 400w, so ~€600/1Kwp if you were to buy them yourself. Then there is install costs (labour), mounting systems, etc. It's right and fair that the suppliers make a profit, but the formula/guideline of €1.2K per 1Kwp is probably not too far off what they should be charging. Again, they get them cheaper than €250 a panel, probably closer to €150 - so the markup at €1.2K per Kwp is pretty generous I think.

Now however, if the market is gouging people a bit becuase of the energy crisis and the demand is through the roof (excuse the pun), that's another story....

Battery is a battery lads. Comes up all the time. Electricity coming from a Huawei is no different than coming from a DIY battery, Polytech, Purdrive, GivEnergy. They all have the same general chemistry under the hood. 6,000-10,000 cycles being the norm. General belief here is that Huawei aren't worth the premium. It increases your payback timeline needlessly I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ACCAman

For anyone with a Huawei system, I have just ordered a 5Kw battery from Aliexpress for about €1,950. If VAT gets added this could rise to €2,400.Still way better than some of the prices I have seen around for them.

The description on the website is not great. They give you 3 options: C0, B0 and box. I am presuming these are 5, 10 & 15kw sizes.

Box is the cheapest so I went for that. They say it weighs 63kg which is the same weight as the 5kw battery including BMS.

It's a bit of a gamble but hopefully it includes everything I need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

I hope you get lucky, make sure to pay in a way you can get a charge back or similar if it turns out to be dodgy. I don't see any reviews and only 1 order, maybe yours? I would be wary but that's just me maybe. You might get stung for custom charges as well as vat too.

Am actually slightly worried now that it could be to good to be true. I have sent them a message to clarify anyway so will pass on what i get back.

Fingers crossed I suppose

This is their Aliexpress licence https://sellerjoin.aliexpress.com/credential/showcredential.htm?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000008.1.239117cf8iNR2d&storeNum=1102137665 only open May 2022, the name they call themselves is sss new energy technology co ltd in that link you posted down near the bottom so be very careful.

Sorry jus clicked that link and it goes somewhere odd, hover over the company name with your mouse on the very top of the page for the link. To the right of the Aliexpress logo.

Maybe @johnathan might want to move this to a more suitable thread?

Thanks for the info, there is some buyer protection on the site if everything goes tits up:

https://www.aliexpress.com/p/buyerprotection/index.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000001.10.239117cf1vsRHb

I just sent you what came up when I first clicked the sellers business info via PM , best of luck with it.

Not an installers PM @Jonathan 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭antomack

My sister is currently getting quotes for a PV install so said I'd put up here to see what the verdict is.

Summary

3000 sq ft home, geo-thermal underfloor heating, 12,000 kw per annum, n/d meter. 2 adults, 3 children, at work and school most days so low daytime usage. Looking to put panels on agricultural sheds (5 bay slatted shed bottom left of pic, shed recently extended so pic is old open version) about 40 meters from house rather than on house itself. Pic from google maps attached showing house and sheds. Rough guess shed pitch low 20s, house pitch 40s. No EV.

Ideally looking to fit minimum of 6kw system but as much as can fit on roof depending on cost.

Not sure if battery is a good option.

No eddi required.

First 3 quotes the salesman called on site, 4 and 5 are just from initial google maps assessment.

One thing that stood out for me is would have thought that quote 5 would be higher than quote 4 as more involved in putting panels on house roof rather than shed roof so possible mistake there.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Really? Doesn't look like what was in the picture. It also cost a lot more than the box you posted. I'm definitely looking at avenues for cancelling anyway.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I don't know what the seller means by each of their options, but the Huawei part codes are

Luna2000-5kW-C0 for the BMS

Luna2000-5kW-E0 for a 5kWh battery module.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement