Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

God help the children that are being born in Ireland today there will be nothing for them but a shithole country with no services and tons of crime. The keyboard immigrant lovers are staying silent cos they just realised that the Ukranian family sunning themselves in their garden and sipping beers have no end date and will be there for years. Karma is a bitch, we told you so & you callled us racist ! A least as racists we still have autonomy in our own gardens & homes there is justice after all.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Can one estimate 2000 would be adults,

some sums on that 2000 x €208 = €416,000 in dole. Hotels getting €135 average a night x 3000 = €2.8 million.

Over 3 million a week to house then plus childrens allowance, medical, food allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

They did release a load of natterjack toads in Kerry yesterday.

Poor bastards being wiped out by us all.

But at least now they can get cash out at AIB.

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We need a stop limit, close the ports and borders to them all, enough is enough, we are a small country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Helen has opened the gates, the consequences will be dire. Our country will be like parts of London in a few years and I wouldn’t go back living like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There are politicians but unfortunately it is the likes of Verona Murphy who say it so her ilk get shouted down by government TD's and can be dismissed as being anti immigration.

As to who to vote for, fúck knows, for me FF/FG/Greens/SF/LAB/Soc Dems are all the same.

How could the government not see that this was going to be abused or was it they could see it was going to be abused but they are all eyeing up cushy EU jobs were they don't have to answer to an electorate?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

You win this thread. Our country is lost. I said it before, batten down the hatches and **** the rest of them (IF you are lucky to have your own house..)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

10k IPAS refugees up to Oct, 15k total expected by year end. Georgia, Somalia and Algeria are the top origins

+ 54k Ukrainian refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember the incoming illegal immigrant amnesty is playing a part too many from the UK are coming here to get on to the list, while around other arrivals already have been granted asylum already in other EU countries but are now claiming asylum here...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

1000s of people from Somalia Algeria etc which we know nothing about.

Country is goosed.

Shameful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 captain dildano

In a sensible country yes, but earlier this week it was stated by MM that part of the future strategy for housing refugees would be in State owned facilities run by NGO's. I've no idea what this state owned facilities means, could be the aquisition of hotels currently being used as refugee centres or private housing developments, who really knows? In my opinion, realistically, few if any of the current TD's will be running for reelection next time around. Many will be hoping for jobs in Brussels and given the absolute level of contempt dripping from MM mouth for the people of Ireland lately, I think it's safe to say that he's secured himself a job in Brussels. The level of arrogance and contempt coming from the man is breathtaking.

Bear in mind that, even if MM didn't exist, the exact same wishy washy sh1te would still be coming out of the mouth of some equally useless political leader.

From that Irish Times report:

"In 2019, immigration procedures were amended in light of increasing reports of passports being destroyed in transit. Passport checks were moved to the steps of some arrival flights to prevent people disposing of their documents before they reached immigration. This led to an increase in people being refused leave to land and being put back on flights for return to their destination. This measure was later scaled back."

So who took the decision to scale back this very sensible procedure and why? The Minister for Justice in 2019 was Charlie Flanagan. In June 2020 he was replaced by the wishy-washy Helen McEntee. (I'm sure that had nothing to do with the change in policy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The government has been mainly relying on the private sector for accommodation, so much so that one in seven hotels across the country are now being used for that purpose - accommodating refugees and asylum seekers. But with no sign of the numbers arriving here anytime soon, what’s the long-term plan? And why are so much more people seeking international protection here this year?

Speaking to people in Celbridge, where the Celbridge Manor Hotel is now being used as a Direct Provision Centre, Barry found a near-unanimous call for a cap on the number of new arrivals into the State.

Worth a listen, particularly the local unhappy local residents. “They take people in and they bung them in the back end of Roscommon or the back end of Leitrim where there are no schools, no shops, no hospitals – nothing."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Almost 40 per cent of people seeking asylum in Ireland this year arrived through Dublin Airport without any travel documents.

Travel documents are required to board international flights, indicating large numbers of people are losing or destroying their passports before reaching immigration control in Dublin.

Between January and July, 2,915 people flew into Dublin Airport and did not produce travel documents to border management officials, meaning they were refused leave to land.

Of these, 2,232 or 77 per cent then claimed asylum, according to records released following a Freedom of Information request, meaning they were allowed remain pending assessment of their claim."

Pat Kenny had a report on this part of the article earlier

That's a mad system that you can claim asylum despite destroying documentation

".....Of these, 2,232 or 77 per cent then claimed asylum, according to records released following a Freedom of Information request, meaning they were allowed remain pending assessment of their claim. Pat Kenny had a report on this part of the article earlier. That's a mad system that you can claim asylum despite destroying documentation."

Easiest solution would be to have an immigration officer stationed at the departure gates of every flight departing for Ireland and taking a quick photo of every passenger's passport before they were allowed to embark. The photos would then be deleted at passport control.

The costs of this would be miniscule when compared to the cost of accommodating these illegal migrants for years and then allowing them and their well-paid lawyers to abuse the judicial process in order to extend their paid vacation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I heard the segment on Pat Kenny's show myself, beggar's belief that this carry on is tolerated. My teenage daughters couldn't open a bank account this year without having a valid passport and we allow people to enter the country without documentation, we are not helping ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Surely they should be returned to origin of the flight if they can’t produce any documents. Big question is why are are we not enforcing laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have been saying this for years.

All asylum-seekers are bogus.

Yet, often, people do not accept that statement.

I see campaigns saying "Who is here stays here".

I even see scholarships for bogus AS.

Why would you give a scholarship to a criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

For anyone who thinks deportations will happen,

1500, deportations over the last 30 years,in that time 60,000+ have been through direct provision alone not including those who never entered Direct provision, we've a foreign prison population of something like 14% .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 captain dildano

The case of that poor young child stabbed 70 times in Clare was horrifying. One of the newspaper articles said that they didn't know if the child's father was in Ireland or not. That really brought home to me that there are so many people here now without documentation that we simply don't have a clue about. I think it's a bizarre state of affairs that a person can get off a flight or a ferry having destroyed their documentation and given asylum here. I don't understand why they can't be identified from the flight passenger list. To board the flight they need to have provided identification.

There was an argument online the other night between Ukrainians and Eastern Europeans with a Ukrainian woman who has sent her 16 year old daughter to Ireland as a lone minor because she knew that the State would provide her with TUSLA accommodation and she's been offered a place at UCC. Now this mother was complaining that TUSLA wasn't letting this young girl head off unsupervised to a university with no guardian no money etc etc. The mother felt that the child should be given free student accomodation and that TUSLA should mind their own business. She was adamant that her child was entitled to this that and the other.

Others, Ukrainians that are already here included, were pointing out to her that it's not how it works here and she was absolutely irate. 2 things shocked me, 1 that UCC discriminated against students here who'd spent 5 or 6 years working towards a uni place in favour of a child whose grades may or may not be genuine and frankly who hasn't got what would be considered by Irish standards to be a high enough number of points to get a place and secondly that they thought it was OK to give the place to a 16 year old unaccompanied minor living in a different part of Ireland. Leaving aside that this lady had it worked out that her kid could come here and get a free 3rd level education that Social Services were obliged to look after her and the State would have to pay for her keep it tells me that we've a big problem coming our way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Can you explain that one? Are there not people in the world whose lives are threatened due to their ethnicity, religion or nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am stating that all, or the vast majority, of the 7,760 AS this year are bogus.

By bogus, I mean they are not actually fleeing persecution.

In reality, they are economic migrants (and in some ways, you can't blame them).

The 1,517 from Georgia are all bogus.

The only ones who might have somewhat of a claim are the Somali cases.

The Nigerians are well known bogus, there are many here already who have been rejected, but who have been given leave to remain.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Geuze threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

You don't gain any supporters for your cause by claiming all asylum seekers are bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

They should be treated as bogus until it’s proven they are not.

Should it be genuine give them leave to remain with strict conditions attached about obeying Irish laws should they receive a criminal record deportation back to country of origin.

Should it be found to be bogus deportation immediately to country of origin should they wish to appeal it should be from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We should have been able to look after our own, but we couldn't even manage that before this deluge. Pathetic.

I dont mind genuine cases making an honest living and paying taxes but anyone taking the piss should be flung back to wherever they crawled out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Tourism industry truly fecked next summer so I guess? This will surely have a detrimental effect on small towns and villages throughout the country. Hotel owners may be happy but local business's certainly won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭creeper1

The neck on people who destroy their travel documents on arrival to Dublin airport.

What's your name?

I have the right to remain silent.

Where are you from?

What flight did you arrive on?

It's disrespectful to people in authority and I would never dream of acting like this in a foreign airport myself.

Clearly they are people well coached on how the system works and how to abuse it at Irish taxpayers expense. It's an absolute disgrace really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I thought the right to remain silent was only in relation to the Garda and in courts. Boarder guards and the airport lads you have to answer. or back on the plane you came from they can tell what gate you arrived in.

Advertisement