Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Wouldn't have any info on that game but reading this has prompted me to have a look at the Harty Cup groups as they usually start this time of year. Noticed neither of the above teams are in it at all? I know Dungarvan/Augustines haven't been involved in a good few years and Blackwater have been progressively poor in this the last few years so unfortunately maybe not much of a surprise they aren't involved (is there some relegation format to this or do teams just opt to not enter? Ard Scoil Ris look to be the only Limerick side, usually Doon CBS would be involved here also for example?).

Only Waterford representation is DLS in Group A with Nenagh CBS, CBC Cork and North Mon (also Cork).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

That’s worrying to see Blackwater slip out of Harty cup ranks. Yes they have been off the pace with a couple years but youd be hoping to see them come back strong eventually given the catchment area is mainly traditional hurling clubs.

With the Dungarvan colleges out of it with nearly 10 years now we really only have DLS competing strongly at this level and even they usually have 2/3 south KK lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Depressing altogether if they are back to depending on the kk lads😡😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

in latter years I don’t think so……they began to realise that not all kk born u18’s are DJ Carey’s/TJ Reid’s….once upon a time almost any south kk guy that could swing a stick would be straight onto the de la Salle Harty team…….🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I think it might be for the best for them to be out of the Harty for now. They took some real heavy bearings last year which isn’t going to help anyone. Trying to rebuild from a lower base may be the way forward.

On a side note, with only DLS left in Harty & given they take in a ridiculous amount of young hurlers from the city & surrounds each year, would it be worth reviewing the Cumann na mBunscoil structures possibly? I wonder if more could be done there. There is lots of good work done, but in terms of structures it’s often run off very quickly in both Football & hurling. The system of grading schools by pupil numbers is probably outdated also, given some small schools have made such progress & could be challenged further by moving up the grades, while some inner city / town schools are struggling in promoting GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

part of the problem in Waterford we have large numbers of students attend schools outside the county

I can think of Youghal, Colmans Fermoy, High School Clonmel, Carrick CBS, the Abbey in Ferrybank, and Ramshrange in Wexford would all have considerable amount of students coming over the border from Waterford because it’s closer for them.

Then you have 4 Dungarvan schools all on top of each other when you factor in Colaiste Cathal and the Gael scoil in Ring.

with Blackwater in Decline, Tramore and Kilmac would be more football catchment areas, your really left with only DLS as the only school in the county capable of competing at Harty level every year, and inevitable hover up the best talent away from the other city schools aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

Coleman's don't really get anymore players back the odd Ballyduff ones as no bus going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Its not just Waterford schools guys. Limerick only have A.S.Ris in Harty this year and half the squad is from Clare which again is not unusual. Castletroy college have gone back a grade as have Doon. So thats not great. Tulla winning it last year shows what a school pulling from a small local area can do if the will is there. And giant schools hoovering up all the best talent isn't always the best thing for counties.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

When Ballygunner have their own Secondary you will see the DLS pick drop by about 40% , the school and the club will likely work hand in glove and shoul be able to put out great teams, this might also spur other schools to get the finger out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Ballygunner playing the Carlow champions St. Mullins in a challenge game tomorrow night at 8 pm. Be interesting to see how our lads (St. Mullins) get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

That will be Ballygunner minus the Gaultier contingent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭decies

Season ticket news

Happy enough the price is unchanged

Will come in handy esp if the Walsh Park attendance will be cut further with the the building works IF there happening

Might get season tickets this year the Munster championship fixtures are more travel friendly this year for me . When do the league fixtures come out ?

Could within the next few weeks, Antrim,Kilkenny and Dublin coming here while we travel to Laois and Tipp

Prefer to get the Davy vs Cahill match out of the way early in the campaign

Is there not already a secondary school in Ballygunner no?

• Advertisement

Holy Jaysus, Ballygunner gave St. Mullins some lesson last night. They're some outfit. The movement and accuracy they displayed was something else. If I was Davy Fitz, I'd move heaven and earth to get Stephen O'Keeffe back in with the county. He's the best in goal keeper in the country by a distance. Ballygunner scored at least 5 points in the first half alone directly from his puck outs or restarts as they are now known! The game was played out over a half of 35 minutes followed by two quarters. In the second of those quarters Ballygunner put out virtually a new 15. There was scarcely a difference in the level of performance. Their conditioning and fitness levels would match the top end of the inter county scene. It must be demoralising for the rest of the clubs down there looking at their dominance and seeing no end to the conveyor belt of hurlers coming through. If there was to be one blot on their performance last night it would be Pauric Mahony's free taking. He had a rare off night. Other than that, awesome performance. I'd be looking at them to retain the All-Ireland. The monkey is off the back now after last year and they could kick on.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

It's funny, O Keeffe had to play as a modern goalkeeper does now years ago. We haven't had a half forward line who were good at catching puck outs since the days of Seamus Prendergast, Ken, Dan etc. And because we had to go shorter he was blamed when moves broke down. He's getting credit now for doing what he's done for years. That's excluding the shot stopping, anyone who saw the save he made from Brian Cunningham in the first round against DLS will have seen how good he is at that.

Though Shaun O Brien is improving all the time. He had a good championship with DLS and I can't recall any goal in the Munster championship I'd blame him for. He's not yet as vocal as O Keeffe and he didn't seem to be able to get puck outs off as quick as the outfield players expected for Waterford but both of these things can improve.

But for me the only goalkeeper who could challenge O Keeffe is Nicky Quaid.

Nicky Quaid is a fantastic goalkeeper but is it the case of like James Mcgarry in the 2000s where its the strong full back line in front of him which are glossing over the calibre the player ?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Definitely not. Quaid plays as a distributor and passes the ball. McGarry was from a generation where you hit it as long as you could. Very good goalkeeper but a different era.

That article says it’s a new building for the Gael Choláiste, which is already an active school in the area (although with limited facilities at present it would seem).

nothing live yet on the season tickets 🎫

Joxer O’Connor being put forward as minor hurling manager it seems. A change from previous when management teams tended to continue with a team from U14 through to minor. Looks a very solid appointment on paper, hopefully it can help to turn around our fortunes at this grade. Tough on the management team that lost out this year, but overall it may be for the best long term.

How have this group fared at underage tournaments over the years?

Message from HQ regarding Season Tickets 

Hi

Tickets will be available throughout next week. 

All sales/renewals will be available here https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaaseasontickets/

Please note that Dublin & Mayo Football and Limerick hurling are renewal only.

Le Meas,

Chris

GAA TICKET OFFICE 

Outlook-2i5ztmsd.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://waterford-news.ie/2022/02/08/ballygunner-secondary-school-approved-by-dept-of-education/

sorry try this one

“After a number of years of significant work behind the scenes I’m delighted to confirm that we now have an agreement in place with the Department of Education for a secondary school in Ballygunner,” Deputy Shanahan said. “There will now be a step-by-step procurement process to deliver the school but the project has been formally approved to enter that process, which means money has been ring-fenced to deliver it within an overall capital funded envelope. This is a very significant milestone for both secondary education and for the promotion and retention of ár gcultúr, ár teanga agus ár traidisiún i bPortlairge agus muintir na Deise.”

Advertisement