Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don’t see it myself. Certainly not if his punditry is anything to go by. A lot of words and cliches come out of his mouth, but it doesn’t amount to much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,945 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rovers looked shattered and is this a reason to look at the calendar esp with teams qualifying for European group stages ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They have looked tired last couple of times I have seen them at the Brandywell. All those euro games have got to catch up on a team at this level. I'm sure they are all giving 100% in those games. They are playing higher level teams now and I'm sure put in an unusually high level of effort.

Still, good result for us chasing them.

As a Waterford fan I hope were in the Aviva in November either stopping ye trying to do the double or trying to rebound a league title loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Align it with the rest of the European leagues. 'Summer soccer bollocks is only a phrase'

Could do September-early December (break)

January-April

Pre season July/Aug for teams not in Europe (Pre season June for those)

Unfortunately there is a cost to qualifying for European group stages.

You get well paid, but it can only take its toll and has got to fatigue the players.

Does summer soccer not help our teams in Europe? Eg playing mid season versus teams in pre season...

I think you're only changing the time of year at which Rovers or any other team in Europe would be feeling the effects of it.

• Advertisement

Same with Kenny Cunningham.

He was linked with the Derry City job at one stage, and I'm so glad he didn't get it. A total waffler. Full of clichés and uses 20 words when 5 would do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Summer football works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Agreed. Europe takes its toll but Irish teams (on the whole) wouldn’t get very far in Europe with a winter league. In 2016 Dundalk were out on their feet when we played in December ( and there was a shorter break until the 2017 season) which City won. I wouldn’t change it.

Post edited by joeysoap on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Never go back to winter football, people can forget how miserable it could be watching football in the cold and wet weather. Saw a ridiculous suggestion that Rovers field their u 19s for the rest of the European campaign to concentrate on the league. Aside from probably being fined whats the point of progressing in Europe if you're just going to wave the white flag. We have 29 registered first teamers, should be enough to rotate. Main problem currently is that Jack Byrne is well below his best which affects the whole team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't accept any moaning regarding being in European group competition, let alone the whole league having to adjust to accommodate it. We're in an era now where the champions each season will be expected to play group stage football.

It denegrates the League of Ireland to pander to the teams that are in Europe though. The Shels/Pats debacle this year is hopefully a one off due to the current aviation situation but if it continues the league has to take priority and if European teams can't field 11 players then they forfeit.

The professional league we all strive for should be able to support teams who can both compete in Europe and at home simultaneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

I fully understand that viewpoint from the teams who frequently arent at the races when it comes to qualifying for Europe that the league, Leinster Senior cup etc are their bread and butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

One swallow doesn't make a summer. When the Irish teams are making the groups every year, not three a decade the discussion about league timing might have some weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Exactly. Shams were humped by Flora only last year. They had a very fortunate draw this year, where all they had to do was beat the champions of Malta and North Macedonia to get into the groups. Its all about luck of the draw. A strong champion in Q1 of the Champions League that knocks them out means they'd be scrambling in the ECL qualifiers.

Bannanas to even discuss going to a winter season when nearly every decent result the league has had over the past 20 years can be traced back to catching better resourced outfits cold at the beginning of their season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭srfc d16

Even if all Irish teams got knocked as early as possible in Europe I still wouldn't change to winter football. Summer football is a far more enjoyable experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Kerry FC with an update on the upgrading of Mounthawk Park:

Just looking at some old matches on Youtube, early 2010s, the crowds are shocking compared to what we see now. Half empty Tallaght stadium for the Dublin derby.

Shows how far we've come along as a league in terms of support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tallaght was smaller back then too, no South Stand for example. In fact I still remember derbies there with just the original West stand and it wouldn't have been full.

I don't think people appreciate how well the league has done in terms of increasing its matchday support.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

All seats (3000 approx.) sold out for Waterford v Shels at the RSC. Over 2000 standing only tickets now selling out fast. People queueing for over an hour yesterday for stand tickets. There's a buzz in the Crystal city for the Blues.💙

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

You’re only queuing to see the Shelbourne 😎

Cork fans surly delighted with there Munster neighbours

Edit- don't think so now

Another massive win for us tonight at Pats. Keeps the pressure on Rovers.

Come on Sligo!

Derry much the better side in the first half. I thought we competed much better in the second half, but didn’t really create enough. Not many chances in the game really. Scuffles in the tunnel at full time following the 2 red cards. Ref was shocking I thought, but it’s Derek Tomney, so you expect that.

Post edited by trashcan on

And yet again, we play well for 45min.

Not sure if it's fatigue, or tactics, but we play most of our football in the 1st half.

The average gate has gone from 2,579 in 2019 to 2,878 in 2022. Its a 32% increase since since 2017.

Great figures but the league is completely handicapped by the state of the grounds. Its not just increased attendances clubs miss out on but TV deals and sponsorship that might be attracted if the infrastructure was up to scratch.

The likes of Bohs have hit a glass ceiling with a 3,000 seater. The Dublin derby could potentially be a 10,000 sell out 4 times a year if both grounds could accommodate it.

If that were to happen Sligo looking to build a 6,000 seater or other clubs looking to improve their set up becomes a much easier sell to the government and it starts to snowball.

The upturn in crowds since we returned after COVID has been hugely encouraging. Long may it continue, and hopefully improve even more. You’d love to think that there could be a snowball effect, where the league could continue to grow.

I'd say this season Derry could have sold more for each home game. I think nearly every game sold out.

But the fact that the council and ni authorities did a half arsed job when rebuilding the Brandywell didn't help. They built a third of a stand when it would have been far more cost effective to build the whole thing when it was being done.

And there has been money (£38m?) signed off for ni stadia which has been lying in an account just waiting to be spent, but cos of the useless politics we have in the North, none has been allocated for 3 or so years.

• Advertisement

Rovers vs Derry the end of the month could be some classic esp if potentially Derry keep winning and Rovers slip up between now and then

Easy win for Rovers tonight. Thought sligo might have given them a tougher game, but they were dominant all night. Easy in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

God, we're sh*te. Only 5 more left thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

On a more positive note, we raised €106k in the annual draw which is a new record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is shels game on anywhere? Can’t find any stations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

LOITV only. We haven't been good at all really but we've equalised twice.

Thanks , I was hoping to get to game but have migraine! Seems like a good game!

Should be 3-3, tight offside there

• Advertisement

Fuppin hell, some game. Sorry I couldn’t make it! 4-3. Shels disallowed goal and prob could of has another peno. Crazy!!

Not easy to make out if those 2 pats penos were soft or not. Red card to make sure the game had everything a game could have!

There could of been another 4 goals in the second half. Shels would be disappointed with that, thought they edged it but cest la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

Insane match. Our defending was truly awful at times and Brockbank was seriously poor. Offside call looked very tight, I'm still not sure exactly but I thought he was just onside. All the penalty calls looked correct to me.

Thought the offside was tight too. I'd need to see it back but looked like they were running alongside each other.

We didn't handle Cotter at all.

Can't argue with the penalties either. Second Pats one I'd question how Doyle saw it as by the time he turns to follow the cross its already happened. Doesn't mean it wasn't a foul so no arguments. Thought we could have defended both situations better.

Great entertainment though.

A pitiful end to the season. Does the club now trust Russell with funds to build a squad for next year after being beaten by Wexford, UCD and Harps in the last 9 domestic games? Nothing to play for so may as well let him see out the season but after that there should be someone else there for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

final day games all moved to Sunday 6th November at 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nice spot is Molde. Reassuring high prices, driving wind and rain and the glass door entrances to the turnstiles look like you're walking into a small reception office of a warehouse.

Penultimate game of season between Rovers & Derry live on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've a bad feeling about this tonight (pitch, plus these are better than Bodo Glimt); just hope we don't get hammered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jesus Rovers have really been shocking away from home in Europe this season.

0-3 to Ludogorets

0-4 to Ferencvaros

0-3 to Ghent

0-3 to Molde

And well and truly outclassed in each game too. The opposition are operating on a different level to any Irish team admittedly, but we've to be very disappointed with the performances we've put in in those games. On the flip side, we have given every team a game who've come to Tallaght and arguably been the better side in each of those games. But if we don't get anything from the remaining games it will feel like a disappointing performance in the group stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I would imagine the Molde manager licked his lips at the teamsheet. Burke, Gaffney, Watts, Farrugia, Byrne all on the bench.

He's definitely sacrificed the game for Sunday or hoped the lightning would get the game called off....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement