Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is entering dairying still an option

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya it was a project that was designed to let the larger farmer with finance know the way you could set up multiple stand alone projects. They forgot about the labour issue, housing, slurry, calves, and environmental changes it is coming back to bite these farmers.

90 k is great wages for a semi skilled worker. You have to work near enough the same hours to get the same wages. Most of the workmanship on a farm is 10-15 euro/ hours work. Tractor work, milking, calving, land maintenance etc.

They are very few that have skills that really pay. Most would end up working in manual or semi skilled work in the 11-17 euro an hour work.

I used to always say to lads complaining about there jobs over the years. Far away hills look green. One lads said it back to me after he took a deal in his early forties and ended up driving a taxi.

Ya it's easy to know you have and are working outside farming.

A lot of lads make work for themselves by not contracting out certain jobs. Yes it costs more but if you want a certain lifestyle you have to pay for it

Its like retiring you will never have the money you had when working.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Re contracting out jobs, it's getting impossible to get a fencing contractor as one example, these lads have 6 months work ahead of them and even in my case I needed the entire place fenced, and after going to 3 different lads all who promised to be on within the month none showed up our bothered answering the phone, ended up doing the whole myself and bought a stake driver, but the magic Bullet of getting the contractor in locally anyway isn't a straightforward option anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No point looking at this year in isolation for costs or profit, look at the last 5 or 10. There have been more years closer to 25 than current prices

Re the work itself a lot is dependent on what stage people are at and what they need out of it. All points by everyone above are valid but can be circumstance specific.

Just re the labour point. We are at full employment, and while the energy shitshow is putting a lot of places under pressure, wages aren't likely to come down. Local petrol station with shop was offering 14 an hour to find people, no such thing as lads working for minimum wage anymore so if you want people you'll have to pay for em, and in some cases that means not standing still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some people are in liquid milk.

there are plenty of lads doing their own work over the Summer too. Not everyone is getting contractors in for everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭DBK1

It’s probably all dependent on your position in your setup. If a lad is still in development phases there’s a lot more work than an established man. And that goes for all categories of farmers, not just dairy. But then there’s also lads that are able to drag the work out to create the image of being busy.

We’ve one neighbour here that would be well established and would tell anyone that’ll listen how hard farming is and how he’s wore out from it with 12 - 14 hour days every day. He has about 20 suckler cows, 40 or 50 dry stock and buys in about 200 lambs to fatten on kale over the winter. He’d tell his part time farming neighbours that they don’t know how handy they have it in their off farm jobs compared to him out in all weathers every day of the week.

I don’t think he realises the part timers he’s talking to have more stock than him and are able to have all their farming done in an hour or 2 in the evenings after their off farm work.

To be fair, there are usually a lot of efficiencies that can be done with a better set up. But some lads might not have the money, or want to take on the risk - which is reasonable, on making those investments and just make do with what they have.

Some of the lads with off-farm work might even be making a paper loss on their farm to offset high rate of tax in their 9-5.

It also leaves you at the mercy of the contractor's schedule.

Similar for buying in feed. You might buy it in cheaper than you'll make it, but it can be pot luck what you'd get.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Busy is a state of mind.

One lad will be in the yard 12 hours every day and he'll tell you he's not busy, only tipping away. Another fella will spread a few bags of fertiliser and shift the cattle, and he'll tell you he's flat out, wicked pressure altogether.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yep I agree. That same lad I’m referencing would be well set up, a decent modern tractor with loader, keeps a fresh jeep and cattle trailer, farm would be well fenced and well paddocked out, and he has plenty of his own machinery for doing his own work.

I suppose the point I was making is what one man considers a small job another man, that maybe wouldn’t have ever been used to working off farm so only ever worked to his own schedule, could consider the same job as a lot of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭straight

I guess it's up to everybody how they decide to spend their own time. I enjoy being busy myself and get satisfaction out of getting jobs done well. Get a bit sick of waiting for contractors here and I wouldn't like to be bothering them with small jobs either.

• Advertisement

Contractor here used to do everything tractor related was getting 35k plus a year, and every year the service got worse where you where literally begging to get things done, all in-house now bar silage wagon contractor who brings in and rakes but you could set your watch with this lad once he gets any bit of notice at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Grueller

Do as much work as you like in the summer, it's still not 80hrs every week unless you are still at hay with a binder or something.

It would depend on how much you are doing ......

It would be a bit silly to apply an assumption as to what someone else is doing without knowing what they do!

It doesn't have to be 80 hours a week every single week to constitute "busy" anyway. It's hardly "only 79 hours and sure you're free to do anything else"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have to say, wirless headphones are a game changer. Make phone calls to pay bills or business calls or listen to podcasts, music or the radio while milking or doing jobs around the farm. Makes mundane jobs alot easier

What straight said was that dairy farming was like having 2 full time jobs. That is 80 hours every week. I was merely pointing out an exaggeration, not saying he wasn't busy. I fully accept he is busy.

It would depend on your setup and numbers. If you only have small parlour and an average herd of 90 cows, your time between leaving the house to milk and getting back in could easily be 3+hours just for milking. Half hour to bring the cows in and set up. 10 mins a side on say a 6 unit parlour would be 2.5 hours milking. With 8 units you're still at nearly 2 hours. Then washing up and dealing with a few problem cows. Then maybe feeding calves, managing grass etc.That could over your 40 hour week already. Different story if you have a 20 unit parlour with acrs. etc.

Now add in maybe doing all, or most of, your own work other than that. Fertiliser/mowing/tedding/raking/baling/wrapping/slurry etc. Maybe you are keeping your calves as calf to beef then as well. You'd be squeezing in those jobs when you're not mad busy with "contracter's work".

I'd rarely do less then 80 hours a week, but that's due to herd size and tractorwork nearly all done in-house, 20 hours a cow a year is ment to be gold standard with all machinery work contracted out, so in my case my problem is to many cows, lack of relief labour

Teagasc done a really good study into it a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭onrail

Great thread lads. I'm mid 30s, making fairly average money with a semi-state, 37 hours a week and having a tough time deciding whether to keep the cows going when the Aul lad retires or not. We're currently milking 60, bit of dairy beef, say 180 head total at any given time.

30 ha available as a milking block, 9 unit parlour out of 85 ha total. Good room for expansion to say 80 cows, but do I want to give up my weekends, especially with a young family? Hard to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Your wife would want to be on board 100% if you are considering it.

Actually, she’d nearly want to be 200%.

• Advertisement

Stick with the job and the dairy beef. Forget about the cows

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I was tipping away at a couple jobs on the workshop this evening up to 10 30 and i was asking myself was it work or pleasure,I was as happy as larry

Including going for em spend 35 hours a week milking cows here, rest of the work has to be done then as well. Spring would be more

While I'd imagine that wouldn't take up the same time in your place if you end up buffer feeding etc it will add up fast. Think it thru but stick in a decent allowance for relief milking if you plan to work and milk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Have a look at the different aspects on this website: https://sites.google.com/view/dairyconversion/home

I spent a while looking into milking in early 2020-2021 and decided not to go ahead at the time. I had so many notes, I ended up putting them into the above site to try make sense of them. (I do that type of work at the off-farm job).

It needs to be updated but most of it is still relevant. Interesting to note that I used 25c/litre as a stress-test in the finances. That was only 18 months ago.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

100 cows

20 unit parlour

relief milker every weekend, you won’t get a full weekend off every week but you’ll have great flexibility with having the milker there

Would 100 cows be feasible off a 30 ha block without serious hassle? The current 9 unit is limited by space unless we break through a slatted tank to the back, so would probably call for a whole new building.

What does a relief milker cost these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

FRS are something like 76 cent per cow this year.

If you can grow the grass it would be fine, 3.3/ ha for main growing season, a bit of buffering in the spring and late autumn but weather may have doing that anyway at a lower sr so would aim to setup to do that. 85ha total with plenty replacements would still have you stocked fine overall. Is the 30 ha the biggest block?

Would get on to local teagasc office and see if you can find a good local discussion group, would help you flesh things out a bit better

For what it's worth .try it out in the current setup for a while but give up the drystock.if it means letting out some land for a while that's fine.maybe increase the amount of replacement s a bit so that if you decide to stay at home and increase you ll have them ready to go.people say there isn't much extra work in a bigger bunch than a smaller one but the problem is its another business altogether and time will be at a premium so every hour counts.if you decide its not going to work you still have the cows to fund the return to beef cattle.increasing cow numbers brings a pile of work in the development phase as it seems it s like a domino effect as one thing sorted seems to lead to the next thing to be sorted

In your mid 30's in a semi-state job is there promotional prospects. Do you have far to travel to work. Will your earning increase as your career develops down the line. Is your job trade or professional qualification based. Is WFH a long-term option

Is the farm split in many blocks. Are the outside blocks set up paddocked, water etc.

Under present farming payments your BPS will be a out 21k. C3 ANC will give you about 2.6 if you qualify for it. So no matter what system you choose you will have 23.6k in payments if ANC is applicable.

At 220 kgsN/ HA on 30HA you could manage 70-80 dairy cows and easily bring in some fodder from other sides of the farm. However if you are worried about lifestyle then investment is probably required to upgrade parlour and to keep labour I/p low. Also if you add more cows will there be extra Capital investment If you decide to expand cow number durther

You and your father will already know the profitability of you calf to beef system in place. You are probably finishing cull cows as well. Which is the most likely to appeal to you or will you continue both. You may need extra housing but it's easier to access TAMS as a drystock farmer. There is limits being put in place for dairy farmers. Therefore beef will require little capital investment and even at that its easier to spread it over time as opposed to dairy being mostly up from.

Staying working gives you options of continual steady cash flow. If WFH is a long term option I would definitely stay at the job and a beef. If you are not traveling a distance to work, and it has good career opportunities and your hours are fairly ok I still opt for the beef operation.

A dairy operation may tie you to milking cows into your mid/late sixties to sort debt and investment.

Any calf to beef or cull cow operation should bring in a decent margin 40k should easily be attainable. Biggest factors is if your present housing is all in the one place ( not a disaster if not). If you can gather most of your silage from around your sheds therefore it's easier to spread slurry etc

Contract out as much as is feasible. It's important to treat it as a business as much as a lifestyle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

There's a massive difference in these two set ups, G2M must be on 20 hours a week to milk, its the same with me, thats some saving every week.

In a lot of cases it seems to come down to the facilities, which is probably determined by other factors, fellas who expanded and either did or didn't upgrade the parlour. If you've done a full weeks work before you do anything outside of milking then its a tough job and you wouldn't be long getting fed up of it

@onrail there's probably a good lesson for you there, if you do decide to go at it then you'll need a new parlour. FWIW I'd recommend it if thats what you enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

@onrail if you don't enjoy milking cows and the daily grind, stick with the day job. May i suggest you take off 2 weeks work and tell your dad to go on holidays and see how you like it and make sure your wife is 300% on board.

That's an honest answer. I've 6 rows to milk here and it's the bringing in and cleaning up takes the time. The milking is the fastest part. Lads that think they do it all in an hour and a half on their own are only codding themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

90 minutes from opening the dairy door to closing it in the morning, slightly less in the evening, that would include moving the strip wire these days. Autowasher is a big help

I also have an auto washer. It doesn't wash the clusters or walls though. I have 2 power washers for that. Takes 30 mins + to clean out the parlour but it is spotless at that stage. It is a food production facility after all. I have to wake my cows in the morning and tap them all the ways in. Takes an average of 30 mins to get them in. They will hardly move out of your way these days. Takes another 10 mins to close the wire after milking.

13 rows next year, wouldn't be spending that long washing, wash as I go and a big wash every so often. Fitting a new volume washer and pressure washer with a head just on the trigger with hose on a reel to speed that up. Crossing roads slow things esp this time of year once they realise they are not going straight out they really slow down

I always spend too much time washing alright. Hard to break that habit you know. It's a turn off for relief milkers too when they see the place so clean and they have to try harder with the wash up.

I have a volume washer reel at the front corner of the parlour. Think I might put about 3 drops in the pit instead for next year. I scrape out the holding yard/slats every morning with a large push scraper too. 🙄

I'm WFH 4 days per week at the moment, commuting 90 mins each way to work when I do travel. Money isn't great and it gives me plenty of sleepless nights, but it's hard to give up a solid paycheck, especially with the wife still looking for a permanent teaching job.

Common sense tells me to stick with the job and drystock, but something in me likes the 'numbers' involved in dairying and I never minded the work - it's the bloody weekends that are the killer.

We've a bigger block on the outfarm (about 4 miles away from home) that would be great for a 100 cow setup, but the investment scares me a bit - especially when the mortgage is going to be a stretch over the next few years.

What size wash down pumps are ye using and what size pipes

Ours is a 2hp pump we just got from EPS. 1 inch pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

The middle paragraph rings alarm bells for me as funny as that might sound. Have you thought about upskilling? Any springboard courses of any interest to you?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the need for a weekend will never really work with farming!

Upskilling is always an option, but finding the time at the moment, with 2 very young kids, building a house, job and farm would be tough. Bringing in around 70k gross, that'll rise to 80-85ish without promotions. So it's kind of in the middle where it's tough to leave, but doesn't make things comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

I'd definitely stick with the job and drystock, offset tax on off farm income to set up the place nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭tractorporn

If I was on 70k with prospects of rising to 80/85k I would be sticking with that and working away with any capital projects on the farm getting it ready for a time when there's less pressure from a mortgage and young family where you can then walk away.

I am only taking in 45k gross atm but that's my strategy, once the mortgage is sorted I will look at dropping the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Same, but then I’ll be late 40’s and thinking would I still have the appetite for such a big change at that stage in life. Depends if kids show any kind of interest but they’ll get every opportunity for other avenues.

when you are early 20’s you can take whatever the farm throws at ya and then some. Different when you reach the 40’s

Don't let the mortgage be that big of an issue mentally. I remember thinking that I would be able to do the devil and all when I got mine cleared, but the reality was that kids were now into their teens and were getting expensive to run. College bills looming also hopefully so the reality is that the job will always be important unless you have scale to be a really viable full time farm. That's probably not an option in anything except dairying in my opinion, well at least not to compete with an €80k job.

At them sort of numbers and working from home you would be crazy to go dairying.

A solid beef operation should generate 60k in income between SFP and profit. But the real benifit would be that you would avoid tax in a lot of that income. Car expenses, electricity, telephones, dog food, certain amount of construction work etc can all be written off. Admittedly similar with dairying but you would need to take drawing as well from dairying income.

If you go dairying what level of investment up front will you need to get to 100 cows. 100-150k. You also at that level be bringing a lot of feed from the second block. Bringing feed from a block means taking slurry out to it. 5 mile's each way mean about 50 minutes per load.

If you set up.the farm for a beef operation right you will probably be able to retire before 60 if you so wish. Pump money into an AVC for the next twenty years

If you go dairying you will be making cows at 65-70 years of age

Slava Ukrainii

I gave up the day job 6 years ago to milk cows. You kind of have to be built for farming and dairying even more so. I certainly wouldn't go farming for the money anyway. But 20 years at any job is nearly enough for most lads. Biggest problem I see for the OP is the 90 min each way commute. That is just not on imo. Farm was fairly set up here when I took over but it still took alot of investment from cash flow between stock, sheds, water, roadways, machinery.

I could pull the plug anytime I want and certainly won't be milking cows in my 60's.

Children are still in national school and I do all the drops and pickups/homework, etc. Actually enjoy getting to spend so much time with them and they are getting interested in farming so that will probably encourage me to keep going if they keep an interest.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

WFH will only increase. It's being pushed by government. He is working for a semi state body so it should remain so

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement