Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yes.

Sloppy performance though. In the last 20 minutes, we were so poor, getting caught up the field, conceding possession needlessly, absolutely no control or game management. As said Rangers were sh1te, so we weren't punished, but very slack and poor at closing the game out.

But, we move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great result. Poor performance, particularly ip front. Really should be scoring from open play against those. Win in Ibrox and we should be as good as through.

Henderson speaks brilliantly. He's a fantastic captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Routine

Nunez best game for us looked far more relaxed & composed on the ball

A few times he looked for goals whe and passes where better options but once he starts scoring he won't be as desperate to score & start getring those assists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I find him quite dull. Sticks to the script. Mr Vanilla.

Absolutely. Winning is all that matters at the moment.

Plenty of chances created too. Not coverted, but not an issue tonight.

I dunno, he was a bit more honest there in that interview. Proper leader on the pitch too when he you see him talking to players etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Apart from the long hair, he's nothing like Big Andy. He makes good runs and tries hard. I'd imagine he can stay balanced on a barstool and might even convert the odd cross. Plus I'd doubt you'd see him at a Boyzone concert with King Kenny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,492 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Did the 4-2-3-1 work.

Was great to see 4 attackers on the pitch, 65% of the ball, 23 shots, 10 on target, 13 corners. We should have scored more, but it was a solid performance,

Rangers had 2 shots on target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

1st half was good, we should have had at least 2 coming in at half time. Once we scored the peno the intensity dropped somewhat and we got very sloppy. I wouldn't be worried about that as even in our peak we had phases like that in games once we went a couple clear....what is worrying tho is the complete lack of confidence we seem to have in ourselves defensively. Rangers were very poor and offered very little threat until the last 10 minutes, but for the brief period they kept the ball on the deck and strung more than 3 forward passes together we seem to lose all composure! We don't seem to be comfortable at all when they opposition gets the ball facing our goals, it all gets very rash and erratic from us..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

That's the worry for me there seems to be a fragility about Liverpool now. It's shocking we couldn't score from open play against rubbish like rangers. The second they made a few passes we're scrambling back like we're the minnows panicking against superior opposition. Not really sure what's going on with that.

Going on form arsenal should win easily at the weekend but let's see if we can lift our game. On what I've seen so far this season we'll lose quite easily... Let's hope I'm wrong. It's crucial we get top 4 this season.

I totally understand playing the 4 lads up top all of them are searching for form & a good game to get the going but its very rarely works out,

Too many body's , lads trying to make the same runs & that,

On top of the forwards needing game time Fab needed to be rest so it was the obvious formation ,

I'd imagine it'll be back to 4 3 3 the weekend,

Matip is brilliant probably our best CB last season but with the issues at RB Konate pace & power to get out there & help is missed right now the sooner we get him back the better,

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Good to get a win but Rangers are a lower table EPL side. In fact that is probably being too kind them, probably Championship level.

The 2 things I am taking from last night are I thought Trents attitude was a good bit better. Probably buoyed by his goal but I thought he was more focused defensively also, playing a bit deeper and more eager to get back in position.

Also I thought Nunez's movement was very good. That is thee thing that differentiates him from our previous expensive physical strikers, Benteke & Carroll and why I am less worried about him in comparison to them. A little bit too eager to get a goal at times but that is understandable. The problem is allowing him a run of games to find his fett whilst the team isnt firing. Klopp may not have that luxury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

One aspect that pi56ed me off last night, and more and more of late, is our inability or unwillingness to just kill the game when needed.

In the league winning team, when we went ahead we would often just sit in and kill the game with possession. We'd often do it for 5 or 10 minutes in games to almost rest, but we'd maintain control before going again.

For example, both last night and against Brighton, when we were ahead late on, we were taking men on in the opposite half and trying fancy flicks (I'm looking at you Bobby!) that coughed up possession and allowed the opposition to counter. One in particular springs to mind, Milner carried the ball to the corner flag, dropped it back to Diaz, who instead of protecting the ball sprinted back toward the centre circle and took on the defender-of course he was beaten in the tackle, allowing Rangers to attack from almost halfway with our defence not set up at all (but I'm sure that was 100% Trent's fault).

I'm picking him out, but there are numerous examples of this this season, it's just plain fvckin dumb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

He was absolutely lamping into Luis Díaz in the second half, really wasn't happy with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I do like the idea of an old fashioned 442.

Two solid midfielders, two wingers and two strikers.

• Administrators Posts: 54,119 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's hard to draw too many conclusions from that as Rangers are a poor side and their tactics suited us, they just invited us onto them.

With 3 losses from 3 and all but out I'd say they'll give it a proper go in the reverse fixture as beating us will be their consolation prize. It'll be harder.

Was Klopp asked about Arhtur at all ?

Any insight into why he was left out of the squad,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

I think this is a temporary change to try to give some confidence to the team. We had players getting in each other ways. Also as mentioned, it's a way of giving Fabinho a rest. Tell the players they've changed something to try to get them out of their funk, hope to win a few games and then get back to normal. Not much else we can try with the number of games coming up. How much it will work, I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It can't be temporary we have to change how we setup, we just don't have the players anymore and many aging bodies.

That formation would work better with Firmino behind the striker or could be the position to get the best from Elliot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its about winning, not not losing. Drawing too many games has always been Liverpool's downfall.

Of our 18 goals, half came in one game.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Great options so, it didn't suit Jota last night, he's a runner not someone who links play.

We have to keep playing Nunez, he needs the run to get going. He's a handful you can see it, showing for the ball everywhere, movement good, comparisons to Carroll/Benteke are nonsense. He will bag alot of goals if the service to him improves, he was living off scraps last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Think Carvalho is perfect for the position along with Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bobby has been playing very poorly in general play this season. The ball is bouncing off him, flicks not working, losing the ball, ineffective in the press, not being in the correct position at the right time which is leaving him on the periphery of games and not really creating much.

But he has scored 5 goals, Liverpool's joint top scorer.

It's like the anti-Bobby of a few years ago when he was heavily involved, pressing hard, creating chances through passing or space creation, and not scoring.

Against Arsenal id drop Diaz for Jota

Jota always scores aginst Arsenal & he find space in the box better than Diaz but Diaz is the better footballer outside he box,

I just think we need goals against Arsenal as we won't keep a clean sheet,

I think id also drop Bobby for Nunez , Nunez needs a proper run of games now ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Bobby’s been like that for much longer than just a month or two, to be fair. The difference is that he’s scoring a much higher proportion of his chances now, or it seems like it anyway, despite his shooting technique being pretty average for a forward.

The song is ringing very true these days though, just give the ball to Bobby and he will score. 😁

One of my favourite Liverpool players ever, so glad he stayed for another season.

Diaz has been our best attacker this year, I thought Jota lacked sharpness last night and his touch at times was very poor. For me, Diaz is the only one who should be considered a guaranteed starter.

• Advertisement

Diaz is a better " footballer " no question but a lot of his work is done further from goal

Jota arrives & shoots better, Jota finds space in the box better,

In a way Diaz is what Mane was & Jota is what Mane became , Although Mane is better than both

For me if both played regularly Jota would get more goals but i do think Diaz is a great player ,

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Fcuk me I'm glad you're not manager you want to play Juandy Carroll and Jota over Diaz and Firmino??

I don't think its that mad is it ? Horse's for courses,

Jota is great at getting goals, started away to United over Mane last year in the 5-0 win, He also nearly always scores against Arsenal , I think Ben White deals better with Diaz dribbles than he will with Jota's off the ball movement,

As for Bobby & Nunez , I,

Arsenal have held the highest line on average of any team in the Prem this season so plenty of space in behind which would suit Nunez more than Bobby ,

I can totally see the argument that Diaz has been very good this year & Firmino is in better form than Nunez, I just don't think they suit the Arsenal game

Yeah, it's not really just form at this rate, his general levels have dropped in a number of areas.

I think there is a squad role that might just be useful for him. He can still find those pockets of space and get passes/shots away, especially against tiring legs and/or against a team that are camped in their own half an a breakthrough is needed.

Also a favourite of mine, but I think his race is run as a starter. I doubt the club will be committing to another large contract for him come next summer. Hopefully we can enjoy his last few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A sacking and an announcement in one go, lol...

Best of luck Xabi 👍

Ex Liverpool goalkeeper Kamil Grabara starts against Man City tonight in the CL.

A good testing ground for Alonso in fledgling, managerial career.

Naby waiting to see what free agent offers he gets in January

Of the club any offer for him in January they need to sell him to get some money in instead of letting him go for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If it's true he wanted guarantees about playing time then he needs to be moved on. The club stood by him during all his injuries and once he was available he played in the majority of games so it's not like he was actually sidelined.

He's never really settled at the club did he its a shame he could never stay fit enough to

Then this summer when his best buddy Mane left you could see the writing was on the wall for him to move on ,

One of the most exciting signings we made in recent year but he'll be 28 in January so probably best for everyone to sell him ,

• Advertisement

Have most of Jota's goals against Arsenal not come from a CF position? So why not start Diaz and Jota?

I think only 2 of the 7 came as a CF , i could be wrong

Strangley the other 5 have all came when Bobby is on the pitch ,

Either way he scores against Arsenal , Salah won't be dropped & im sure one of Nunez/Firmino will play so wide right is the only option ,

its not a go at Diaz at all i just think for this game I'd play Jota

Fair enough, the 2 I remember were from the League Cup last year and he was CF in those I'm pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Best of luck to Xabi, hopefully he's successful. Would be great if he proves himself and eventually comes back as manager.

Are you sure ? Firmino started so i presume he was CF & Gordon was left wing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Hey all, I’m over in Liverpool by chance the week we’re playing West Ham on Wednesday 19th of October. Where’s the best place to look for a ticket that’s not a crazy prize does anyone know? Any help greatly appreciated 😄

If u don't get lucky and are in the City get yourself up to the stadium and ull no doubt ull get your hands on one

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Yeah hopefully! The person I usually get tickets off doesn’t have any for it and just looking on some site and it’s 140 euro for one and probably be in the away end so just seeing if there’s anything else a bit less expensive. Thanks very much for the reply 🤞

• Advertisement

Looks like those who were skeptical about the accuracy of Haaland’s reported relatively low wage at MC were spot on. But he is still good value for the higher figure.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-11287753/Erling-Haaland-earns-865-000-WEEK-Man-City.html

Advertisement