Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee renting troubles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why would the gender of the people in a relationship make a difference? I hope you are not claiming same sex couples have more rights than heterosexual couples under the RTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's the house not the gender of the people. The LL might be unwilling to have the occupancy of his house mixed between single and a family unit and the interaction between the any couple causing issues in the house.

That is not to say the RTB and courts might overrule his objection. However it is also the home of the other non attached tenants and there rights come into play as well.

If it was a same sex couple in the one bed apartment they would have exactly the same rights I posed as the hetero-sexual couple I posed earlier.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Careful there.... wouldn't want to be found to be discriminating on the basis of family status....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

But why again are you asking this of me? Personally I don't care if you believe in either version. I have posted the gist of the legal advice I received, if you don't want to accept it without me showing you the source my solicitor obtained it from, well, you know where to go...

But ironically, you have not pointed to anything which tells me a landlord can restrict licences, only a brief mention of contract law and now you have clarified that you do know legislation can override the leases.

But, also add in common law and the fact that you don't exactly know how the RTB interprets the same terms you dismissed as irrelevant.

So honestly I don't really see the point of the way you are arguing your point, as you said yourself, you are not speaking from experience, and you haven't mentioned any particular qualification or study of the area, so what is the point in repeating yourself constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The interpretation of most law is to what is reasonable. The interpretation of law is not done by making law. It is not about looking at a situation and deciding what is reasonable. That would be making law. If the law doesn't allow something, that is it, no matter how unreasonable. Courts have no discretion in enforcing a determination order of the RTB unless there was a flaw in the RTB processes. There are a number of constitutional rights potentially in play. The landlord has his property rights. The landlord also has freedom of association rights. The tenant may have rights to a dwelling or family rights.

No application has ever been taken to a court under the unfair contract terms concerning the restriction on subletting, sharing or parting with possession which is standard in leases. It a reasonable clause to insert and as far as asaying the legal advice is that the RTb wouldn't enforce it, no case has been reported where the RTB refused to enforce such a right. It is not know what qualifications the alleged legal adviser had or what experience, nor what questions they were asked, nor has any reasoning been shown. I give no weight to it.

• Advertisement

I am not going to provide a link because my name is listed in the Tribunal Report.

No offense, but still I'll rely on my legal advice, they have at the very least a professional standards I can rely on.

You are posting about a case you were involved in, but injected this late in the conversation, not at the start and if you are as knowledgeable as you are, you know you could have used this case without mentioning you were involved. So I am going to discount this.

Look, I don't know what you are purporting to be here, a tenant, landlord or solicitor?

No application has ever been taken to a court under the unfair contract terms concerning the restriction on subletting, sharing or parting with possession which is standard in leases.

...but this would not be in question in the scenario of the OP as a licensee of the tenants (John and his brother).

John and his brother would remain as the sole tenants, they are not sublettig to the OP, neither are they sharing or parting with possession - they remain fully responsible for the property as tenants. The OP would be there solely at their invitation as a guest, albeit a long term paying guest.

The op has already copy and pasted the terms of the lease relating to “paying guests”. No term in the RTA that you have shown negates that term in the lease agreed by John.

Read in context, that refers to operating a business from the premesis, which is a reasonable and understandable restriction as it has implications for zoning, planning permission, commercial rates, commercial water charges, etc...

A rent a room situation, as in the OP being a licensee, would not be seen as a change of use or be viewed as running a business or commercial operation from the premesis.

• Advertisement

Can you read?

“let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlord's written consent”

”Not to receive paying guests”

That is what John agreed to when signing the lease.

My reading (and comprehension) skills are fine, thank you.

“let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlord's written consent”

I'll refer you back to the Irish Property Owners' Association advice on that, https://ipoa.ie/difference-between-subletting-an-assignment-and-a-licensee/ referred to in an earlier post "The tenant is under a statutory obligation to inform the landlord of the identity of resident in the dwelling however, the landlord is not in a position to to accept or veto the individual concerned as he/she would with a tenant."

”Not to receive paying guests”

Again, that was in the context of carrying out a business. The full paragaph, in context is "Not to receive paying guests, or carry on, or permit to be carried on, any business, trade or profession on or from the property."

That would, quite reasonably, preclude running a guest house, B&B or Air B&B from the premesis but I would argue could not reasonably preclude John (and his brother) from having the OP as a licensee.

John (and his brother) are obliged to inform the landlord in writing of anybody else ordinarily resident.

How can they have an obligation to inform the landlord of something if they don't have a right to that something, either explicitly or implicitly.

No term in the lease may operate to vary, modify or restrict in any way John (and his brother)'s rights under the Residential Tenancies Act.

Again, you are misinterpreting the text you copied.

The LL cannot veto the licensee “concerned”, but that is after the fact that an additional occupant is not permitted. If they were, and a licensee was taken in by the tenant, the LL could not decide who that licensee is.

As has been said many times, a licensee is no more than a paying guest, no different than a B&B guest, a hotel guest, or an Airbnb guest, a paying guest with no more rights, prohibited by the tenancy contract John agreed to.

Yet again, you have nothing to support your viewpoint from the RTA, whereas a tenancy agreement is a binding contract. If you can find a clause in the RTA that negates the lease term in relation to additional occupants, post it. Please dont say sections 12 and 16 support what you posted, they don’t.

The LL cannot veto the licensee “concerned”, but that is after the fact that an additional occupant is not permitted.

This is a circular argument - essentially you are arguing that the landlord cannot veto the licensee "concerned" but that is after the fact that they have already vetoed any licensee in principle.

As has been said many times, a licensee is no more than a paying guest, no different than a B&B guest, a hotel guest, or an Airbnb guest, a paying guest with no more rights, prohibited by the tenancy contract John agreed to.

A licensee is more than a paying guest, and is different to a B&B guest, a hotel guest or an Airbnb guest.

B&B, hotel or Airbnb guests tend to be transitory and result in an almost continuous stream of a large number of unknown people staying at a property. It would be an impractical annoyance for John (and his brother) to keep the landlord informed of who was staying at the house. As a business it woud also constitute a change of purpose for the dwelling.

The OP would be a stable, long term, regular occupant. John (and his brother) would be obliged to inform the landlord in writing of his presence. The landlord has the right to be informed but not to approve or disapprove the OP's presence.

Nothing the OP has said indicates the tenancy agreement explicitly places a numerical limit on the number of occupants.

It would be unreasonable to argue that the OP could reside ordinarily in the dwelling if he did not pay John (or his brother) but could not if he paid John (or his brother) anything, especially when the landlord could have no idea whether the OP was paying John (or his brother) and no there was no legal relationship between the OP and the landlord.

OK, I've been researching this briefly.

So if you read the link, the act grants exclusive occupation, which incorporates the right to exclude others from the property.

I think if the landlord retains the right to exclude, the tenant does not have this right, ergo the lease does not allow for exclusive occupation.

“I think”? What legislation backs up what you think?

Did you miss this bit in the article you linked?

”A lease is a contract which carries property rights. The tenant has the right to exclude all other persons from the property, including the landlord itself. The tenants rights are conditional on continued compliance with the terms of the lease. The lease can ultimately be cancelled or forfeited for non payment of rent and breach of the lease terms”

Nothing in the article you linked supports the right to breach the lease by taking in extra occupants when the lease prohibits it. In “exclusive use”, you are extrapolating that a tenant can effectively do what they want in contravention of the lease, this is simply not the case. The exclusion of a LL from the property is provided for in the RTA by the reference to the entitlement to “peaceful enjoyment”, but as an earlier poster pointed out, peaceful enjoyment is not dependent on having more occupants than specified in the lease agreement.

So again, what you posted is no closer to supporting your assertion that the tenant has a right to breach the lease by adding occupants, nor does it support the claim by others that tenants rights granted by the RTA negates the lease term relating to number of occupants. If it does, post the relevant section of the RTA.

Post edited by Dav010 on

You claimed earlier that you had no issues with reading and comprehension.

The op copied and posted the actual wording of the lease, it states the following: “let or allow any other person live at the property without the Landlords written consent” and prohibits “paying guests”, which as we know, is effectively what licensees are.

How could you possibly misconstrue that? How is that not putting conditions/a limit on the number of people living there? Limiting it to the tenant on the lease, and any additional occupant who has the LL’s consent to live there.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Read the part about exclusive occupation, that is in the act and it says quite clearly in the article about the right to exclude being exclusive occupation. Peaceful enjoyment is not the right to exclude....

Hence the terms in the act regarding the obligation to inform the landlord of who is in occupation, hence the right of the landlord to terminate based on overcrowding.

You have already agreed that any term which is not consistent with the act is not enforceable, the act requires the right to exclude to be given to the tenant and a lease term cannot retain this right for the landlord or the right to exclude has not been assigned to the tenant.

And yes "I think", not I know. I am not conceited enough to read some articles for a few hours and to pretend to be an expert. But you are asking for an exact reference in legislation (exclusive occupation covers this) but then you want it phrased exactly the way you want to see it...but your whole argument is based on contract law, which is majority common law based (not contained in statute) , see the irony here?

Where does the act say “exclusive occupation” extends to anyone beyond those on the lease? And where does it say that exclusive occupation is adversely affected by not allowing additional occupants in contravention of the lease?

You are regurgitating the same unsupported opinions time after time. I have the validity of a tenancy agreement as a legally binding contract to support mine, you show me which legislation negates the clause in John’s contract relating to number of occupants.

You don’t have to read lots of articles, you just have to read this:

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/act/27/enacted/en/html

I hope your legal advisers have professional indemnity insurance. Some of what you allege they say is just plain wrong and if you rely on it you may find yourself on the street.

• Advertisement

No no Davo, you haven't anything at all behind you. Linking to the legislation or pointing to a contract without considering what the words actually mean to the legal profession is nothing more than bickering at this stage.

I could insert any term in a lease, but I know right well that if I did its probably wrong. "Let or allow" is someone with no legal experience attempting to sound clever. How about a term which states the landlord is obligated to fix items but the tenants must hold the ladder?

What is your opinion on the landlords association stating you cannot limit licences?

What is your opinion on exclusive occupation meaning - and what have you researched to support this?

Post edited by DFB-D on

I'm sure they do, they are solicitors afterall. And your insurance is what is exactly?

You dodged the question, what is your capacity in that case you mentioned, tenant, landlord or solicitor?

Nothing new here, still no link to any legislation that supports the right to have additional occupants in contravention of the lease agreement.

Just more obfuscation. The search goes on.

I'm not misconstruing it, I'm saying my opinion is that it is unenforcable as it is contrary to section 18 of the Residential Tenancies Act and the Irish Property Owners' Association would appear to hold the same opinion. https://ipoa.ie/difference-between-subletting-an-assignment-and-a-licensee/ The tenants cannot be in breach of an unenforcable term of their tenancy agreement.

More waffle.

Which parts of sections 12 and 16 has John’s LL breached in the lease?

Put simply, or as simply as I can for you, what section of the RTA makes the restriction on the number of occupants agreed in in the lease, a binding contract, unenforceable?

As has been pointed out to you many times, the LL is not in a position to accept or veto who the licensee is, but that is after the fact of whether they have a right to be there or not. John’s lease agreement specifically refers to limits on occupants, you said earlier you could read and comprehend what the op posted, has that changed?

Childish. And on that note, I think we are done here.

Anyway, moral of the story, if you are drawing up a lease, get a solicitor to advise, too many "experts" online!

I've already explained the right to have other person(s) ordinarily resident in the dwelling implicit in the tenants obligation to notify the landlord in writing of same.

The circular argument of the landlord being able to veto something before being asked to approve or veto something which he has no right to approve or veto is just nonsense.

And there, again, is the crux of the argument, can the LL limit the number of occupants before the situation arises whereby the question over vetoing the licensee concerned arises? And again, you have failed to show what makes the clause relating to additional occupants in the lease unenforceable. I agree that if the addition occupant is allowed, the LL cannot veto who it is, but that is not what is being discussed.

If you are certain that the limit on occupants in a lease agreed between tenant and LL is unenforceable, put up the legislation which supports that, it isn’t section 12 nor 16 of the RTA, so it can’t be section 18.

Not every solicitor has insurance to advise on RTB law! From your later posts it looks more like you are doing your onw research which you are trying to pass off as legal advice you got. The answer to your question is none of the above, if it means anything.

• Advertisement

OK, so they mentioned your name in the report because you were lurking around in the back, is that it? 😂

So if I don't stick in terms relating to licences and my solicitor doesn't have the correct insurance, I'll end up on the street 🤣

And, lying about mythical cases? Freedom of association (not freedom to form associations as per constitution)

What will you post about next?

Advertisement