Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

Cheers, thanks for this information. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think i will start a new thread about house prices going up......

In a few years after this "softening period".....It will be accurate!

Everything is cyclical...people are sheep....

If you like a house, can afford it and want to live in it for a long time, just buy it and stop hanging around...

Stop looking at houses like investments and just live in them!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

They must be right eejits to have enough cash to clear the mortgage. They can't be getting any interest with that cash on deposit, yet are paying a mortgage. Only the state would employ people like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You were clear you said 2 semiD's. Now I would actually have presumed a minimum of three bed. 2 bed would never enter the equation of semi D.

2 beds are usually either duplex's or townhouses

Slava Ukrainii

No they are not. They probably have a tracker mortgage. They are probably paying 500-1k in interest every year previous to the present rate rises.

They will have children going to college in a few years time it will cost 50k minimum per child.

Money also gives opportunity. IMO they should have bought property in the 2014-2016 period however it's not everyone's cup of tea. However a holiday home would have been a good balance up to two years ago there was some right bargains.

I have a commercial tracker from my ''cold dead hands'' will they get it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭djan

A mortgage is usually the cheapest money you can get. Always a good idea to have money ready to invest, more so given that a recession/drop is more likely than not even accounting for inflation.

We have has these downhill feeling before. You get what I call the Chicken Lickens running around screaming the sky is falling in.

We had this in the early stages of Brexit and COVID. Any corrections will be in the order of 10% IMO, it may go slight above that however the big question is will there be availability. While we have had a small surge in house's for sale there is slowdown in the building sector. That brings it own issues and it may reduce supply in 6-12 months.

It amazing none of the CL's are will to forecast the level of decrease they expect and why.

Most of these guys must have most of the house price in cash. Because in the case of a complete crash it would require a credit squeeze it access to finance is the issue.

Slava Ukrainii

• Administrators Posts: 53,735 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno, I think living a mortgage-free life would be incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

You limit your financial levers by stuffing money under the mattress (Any low/no interest savings account is effectively this), rather than using your own equity.

With a mortgage vs any other loan, your assets are protected from being eroded by inflation. (assumption is that you are not in a bubble). Your property in theory will stay stable in value, rising / falling with the market, while providing you with a place to live.

You also have some financial options with a mortgage, you can top up a mortgage without substantial new loan approvals. So it's another tool in your toolkit for weathering any unexpected expenses (along with rainy day funds etc)

You can pause a mortgage at any time, for no reason at all. I paused ours for a summer once for example, when taking a long-haul holiday, just for extra short term spending money. It was a mere phonecall, and sign the letter they sent.

It's generally other borrowing's that cause people issues not mortgage's. Take the couple above and if it's a tracker. If they bought a car and took a 20 k loan over 5 years it would cost them 3.5 in interest. Now I know you can make the point that ideally they should not need to however they would have had to be making significant overpayment's which might have caused them to get caught in a borrowing situation.

If the had used some of the capital gauaranteed investment funds they would have hot a 1.5-2% return over the last 10 years. This would have paid the like for like interest.

Remember they would still need a rainy day fund of 50k ideally. It's also harder to move unless you have savings. With those sort of saving a bank would finance another house for them, they could buy a site, get planning and start the building process before selling.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Another international housing market under pressure because of rising interest rates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Used live out near Dangan in West side many years ago and like yourself cycle to parkmore industrial estate. Was in the peak of my fitness then and used get there in about 25 mins. Even the early mornings when there was torrential rain, I never felt as refreshed and ready for work as one of those cycles and a hot shower in work after it. It is not a good sign when potential buyers are dropping out as this is a decent location with bus services to town and they look good family houses. I think the overall sentiment is changing and at a more rapid pace in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Some bad advice here, since 2008, you cannot top up a mortgage in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Try googling "mortgage top up ireland" - you might be surprised.

Firstly there was no advice in my post.

Mortgage terms can be adjusted at any time.

Scaremongers like you have people needlessly afraid of making changes to suit them as their circumstances change.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Out of curiosity do you know how the bank record your payment break on the CCR? Have you applied for any credit since then?

There was a lot of concern during the pandemic how people who furloughed and took payment breaks would be treated. I believe in most cases it didn't effect their ability to borrow but I wouldn't say it's a rule of thumb that has always existed.

Another lender is likely to query why you haven't made scheduled payments on an existing loan. It might have been a one off but other lenders may see it as a sign of financial pressure and steer clear.

Your information is wrong, you cannot top up a mortgage in Ireland , end of story.

Everything is treated as a new mortgage loan since 2008, theres no such thing as getting a new borrowing on an existing mortgage.

I wouldn`t be taking any advice from someone who pauses their mortgage to go on a long haul holiday, this was the reason for the mess in 2008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Well it won't strengthen your position when looking for credit I would have thought.

It seems from the CCR's own website it might not trigger an automatic flag on your record but there is sufficient information there for others to work out the balance hasn't changed.

Sounds to me like when times are good few will bat an eyelid but if lenders are getting worried such actions might be used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

You can top up a mortgage in Ireland. It is allowed. Usually relatively modest amounts for home improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cal naughton

Regarding the mortgage top up. Poster is technically correct in that you won't be able to top up on the existing account number however the bank would offer a side loan with a new credit agreement and new terms and conditions.

Try top an existing mortgage and come back to me, it wont be with the answer you have said here, i wish people would do their homework before they throw out wrong information on the internet.

A side loan is a new loan and it will be looked at as stand alone and alot of banks will screw you on rates for anything less than 80k, standard apr rates.

80k is approx the minimum mortgage amount you can get from an Irish bank so tbh , your existing mortgage has nothing got to do with new business except maybe your payment history.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cal naughton

Wrong yet again. Just looked at aib.ie. minimum top up is 10k. Same security on the house. New account number at whatever the mortgage rate is you select. You are confusing it with a personal loan. Have a look at the website yourself

Again , when was the previous time?

You can I have a friend who bought an apartment 7-8 years back. He told the bank the top up was for an extension to his house. He borrowed about 50k. The apartment is rented for over 1k/ month.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

All properties->03/10/22 to 09/10/22

All Dublin

64 Price changes

58 Decreases

6 Increases

Rest of Ireland

185 Price changes

148 Decreases

37 Increases

• Advertisement

Again, no advice given, and you've still got your info wrong. I've had at least 8 mortgages with all the main lenders. Moving houses, buying, selling etc. 2 are currently being down paid. 4 years, and 7 years remaining in the current ones. I could get another small one at some point if/when I pay those off f it suits us. Or I could extend them out and just stretch the payments. I'd much prefer a mortgage than a personal loan. The rate is a fraction of the cost.

More scaremongering. Adults can make their own risk assessment. If I think a mortgage break on a tracker mortgage with less than 10 years remaining in it allows me more flexibility to enjoy a family holiday while my kids are still young enough to be willing to go on holiday with me, and the bank have the tools for me to do it, I'll make my own decision thank you very much. The financial tools are there. I control them, not the other way around.

We also took a mortgage break during maternity leaves. Eh gads the horror. Chain us up.

How much experience do you have exactly? Opened one mortgage, last year at a crappy rate, and crumple at the thought of it changing? Wouldn't dream of a holiday and sticking to the own brand coffee granules for the rest of the term that you never ever adjust to make rate savings on. Or never ever had one, probably more likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement