Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

How is this news with Mary Lou and Dowdall not front page news?

Media black out or RTÉ controlling the National narrative as usual? They have been once again been exposed as being involved in organised crime.

The rigorous vetting probably requires a level of organised crime involvement to get a seat

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Kind of cements the reasons for the SF opposition to the SCC.

Imagine the pressure the jury would come under if Jonners was up in any other court.

Not suggesting SF would be involved, but it’s advantages are shown in stark relief in this case.

Why would any people so vehemently oppose it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Why are you making up things that I didn't say?

Dowdall must be an absolute lowlife to turn on his own just to save his own ass…. If he was that innocent & just booked the regency room he should have taken his chances with a good legal team

Bet someone close to him or his wife will be clipped soon.

• Advertisement

Shane Ross has raised questions over how she afforded her family home. There might well be good answers - maybe she won the Prize Bonds - but they are interesting legitimate questions.

Dowdall was friends with Hutch from childhood, we have learned, he is also friends with MLMD, did their paths cross? An interesting legitimate question as well.

In the early 1980s, diehard FFers had the same response as you when questioned about how Haughey afforded his house. We didn't get answers then either, but it certainly makes interesting reading to see the same tactics deployed nearly forty years later in defence of MLMD.

I see the concerns about Dowdall and SF are becoming more mainstream.

Is the good Senator suggesting that SF's policy vis-a-vis the Supreme Court was affected by friendship with Dowdall and others?

It’s all coming to a head now and sheds light on SFs opposition to the SPC.

If Jonners sings who knows what will be exposed.

There is a certainly a fair it of concern running through SF ranks now, it would appear.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Sorry, I'm not a member and don't know the details of any of their policies.

But I'm sure if you visit their website you'll be able to find a relevant policy, they seem to have one on everything.

Isn't it funny how upset some people get when asked to back up thier claims.

And the same poster demanded that I give them the details of one of SF's policies, as though they expect me to do their research for them.

• Advertisement

You're not able to provide a link to back your claim up?

Depending on the circumstances, a claim of that nature could be considered defamatory. I certainly wouldn't be proud to have made it if I were you. There are limits to anonymity on internet fora.

they risk losing some support if they abandon the religious ethos entirely so it will be carefully managed

As SF moves to take over the space held by FF from 1932 to 2007, they carefully avoid antagonising anyone who might vote for them. Their primary policy is and has always been a united Ireland. Everything else is secondary to that aim, and they want power in the south in furtherance of that aim. IMO they will carefully consider the effect of any policy change in relation to votes likely to be won or lost as a result.

MLMcD seems very astute in this regard: look at how Gerry Adams has been completely sidelined since his retirement. Two women now run the party (or they are its public face at the very least) and the party has gone from strength to strength under this new leadership.

It's possible that other people wield influence in the background - but this is surely true of other parties too. I certainly wonder who really pulls the strings in FF, because the current leader has been a disaster for it. Is he really in charge? And ditto for Varadkar, who has lost FG a serious number of seats in the Dáil and can hardly point out a single success during his tenure.

I have had a look more than once, but SF don't saying anything on it. They just run away from such discussion. Cowards at heart.

My concerns about SF omerta and control of media through the use of SLAPPs have been echoed by Sean O'Rourke.

I was villified by SF supporters for raising these questions in these threads, but the concerns are now mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Sf media training page 12 😁 keep in mind where the votes come from.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd completely agree with this, they have been very astute, even on the likes of abortion, they just weren't relevant enough at the time of the referendum for their official stance to really hurt them and all this works well until they get into power (where we can already see their shortcomings in NI) and while I think SF in power will be the shortest route to having a UI referendum, conversely, their inability to compromise with others (as shown multiple times but tellingly their inability to form a government after the last election, bringing down stormont over irish was also manna for the DUP who can make any excuse for it now) makes it least likely that they would be able to actually win such a referendum as they would put off most of the non-nationalist/catholic vote in NI (and it's a referendum that would be exceedingly hard to re-run even a couple of decades later, it could finish them as a party as it would destroy their one aim entirely, the SNP have been able to swing back due to brexit).

The astuteness also runs out when you actually have to govern and pick a side and live with the consequences of decisions (as truss is finding out rapidly in England).

(not actually) Abe Lincoln: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Yes actually, hard to argue on those infamous Catholic policies

Abortion, UI referendum due to numbers of Catholics and church as a charity would all be Catholic policies that SF had or have.

Unless you want to weasel behind "well it applies to all religions" when in SF's case their roots were Catholic.

Are SF going to drop their "Catholic majority = UI vote" policy now or in the future? Or is this the thread where we can pretend it doesn't exist?

Mary Lou McDonald: Time to plan for border poll on Irish unity (breakingnews.ie)

If they (SF) had even the smallest bit of common sense they would see that right now or the near future is NOT the time to be bringing up border polls.

But it doesn’t seem to bother them, bit like urging the band to keep playing while there is a large hole in the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭notsocutehoor

Abortion: A Catholic policy?

UI Referendum: A Catholic policy?

Abe Lincoln: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt

• Advertisement

I see you're still stuck in a loop, misquoting Lincoln and can't engage in discussion, par for the course really :)

I mean, what's the point in that, how does that counter the pearl clutching that happened here when MLM was asked about mass when she was reacting to a Catholic majority in NI, it also lays bare your naivete over policies that deirdremf understands (i.e. the drive for a UI over all else).

Do you understand why the number of Catholics in Northern Ireland is a big deal for SF and drives their policies? Or how their position on abortion was driven by the Catholic Church? You have to, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

A very good question for RTe, why did they drop the interview?

self-censorship is not the answer. Very true.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

Umm.. if they were unable to compromise then there wouldn't be a Good Friday Agreement ect.. Stormont was brought down because of the RHI Scandal although prephaps the Irish Language Act might've been a reason also (which still hasn't happned yet) and it's the DUP stoping a Government being formed over something which has got absolutley nothing to do with Stormont.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

and it's a referendum that would be exceedingly hard to re-run even a couple of decades later, it could finish them as a party as it would destroy their one aim entirely

Don't agree with this at all. IMO a reasonably close result, somewhere around 45% yes, would render the border poll a worthwhile exercise for SF. The issue of Irish unity would remain live ( as the Scottish independence has since a result of that scale in their referendum), and there would be a strong case for a rerun in a decade or so...

The idea that parties like the DUP and SF will have anything to do with a United Ireland is laughable. You need to boil off that hate first.

I think the opposite. I would welcome a border poll, expect it to be 60:40 against, and the responsibility afterwards would be to put the constitutional issue aside and get on with making Northern Ireland work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I think it is wishful thinking on your part to suggest that a 60/40 referendum puts anything to bed long term.

Getting on with making NI work would be easier if NI itself wasn't fundamentally flawed. The sort of root and branch reform you'd need to make NI work would have costs comparable to the Unification costs you rally against so heavily.

The threat to democracy from Sinn Fein remains.

RTE are now claiming that it is an editorial issue preventing them from broadcasting the interview. The only editorial issue I can think of is that they didn't think people would listen to it. Given the growing concern, I am sure that people would listen now, so we should expect to hear it in the next day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Funny how things change. FFG can no longer dictate what stories and interviews RTE can run. Perhaps they and their supporters pine for Section 31. It is surprising to see RTE having the guts to stand up to the attempted political influence of its output by FF and FG. And as for that clueless waffle about SLAPPs, this is not one of them. The Sindo and the Indo do read like the "Daily Blueshirt" at times and they've always been extremely anti-SF to such an extent that their coverage of the 2016 GE was markedly out of balance with other publications according to a survey of Irish press coverage carried out by DCU's FuJo. It is unsurprising to see them complain when RTE junks an interview with one of their journalists.

RTE may have figured out that being a government propaganda outlet is not a good thing for a broadcaster competing with other TV and radio channels. A free press involves being able to tell gombeen politicians to go to Hell when they try to stifle that essential element of a democracy. Of course, "editorial guidelines" is a more diplomatic phrase. It may have learned a lesson from when it disgracefully tried to keep MLMcD out of the leaders debate in the 2020 GE when SF was consistently polling higher than FG and FF.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement

I must put this up for satirical post of the year.

The censorship on show here is self-censorship from RTE who have been intimidated by SLAPPs cases into complete deference to Sinn Fein. This story will run.

Hopefully the Oireachtas Committee will get to the bottom of this.

Advertisement