Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022 Irish EV Sales

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭sk8board

where did Tesla get the 48 cars from - surplus from the UK maybe? It’s not enough volume for it to be a boat. A base m3 has a delivery date of next June, I’ve been tempted to have one ordered. It’s the EV that best suits my needs. Our family car is the id4.

their 2022 marketshare is now down to just 5% of Irish EV sales.

incidentally VW alone have sold over 7,000 ID3/4’s since the model 3 arrived here in late ‘19 (with the model 3 having almost 6 months head start), versus 2,500 Tesla sales (all 4 models).

It’s pretty clear that technology isn’t the primary motive for almost all buyers, it remains price, availability and practicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

From speaking to people I know that had looked at Tesla and ended up buying something else one of the biggest turn offs was the lack of a regular trade-in route like a traditional main dealer (I know Tesla offer trade-ins but for the majority it’s a shambles my offer was 11K less than what I’m getting for it), they didn’t want or need the hassle of trying to sell privately to somehow coincide with a Tesla delivery date that could be god knows when, this has a huge bearing on the numbers and alot of people are just not ready to buy a €50K + motor on that internet thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Availability for Teslas Model 3 and Y is quite good despite the web page stating next delivery June, it is likely going to be only a few weeks / months. But @sk8board is right, having the latest tech doesn't interest a lot of people. People feel VW, who have been around forever and are the biggest car maker in the world, is a safer choice than these newfangled Teslas

Also as @Thumper Long said, Tesla's trade in process is bad. And there is only 1 showroom in the country and you have to buy online. The servicing / repairs might be a worry, where VW have garages in every town. That would put a lot of people off, particularly older people. Not many people over 50 own Teslas. And Tesla finance / PCP is not good, where VW have that down to a T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I ordered a model 3 in august and am collecting on Friday, 4 weeks from order to collection. No other EV is available like that.

Regarding tech, unless you are Tesla, all I want from you is a good hd screen with a port for apple carplay. I actually prefer wired apple carplay as I usually charge my phone in the car anyway and my phone cover doesnt allow wireless charging as it holds my cards. OEMs literally should stop wasting money on in car MCU stuff and just build a big apple carplay button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

But you sir are in the know most potential buyers probably never join a forum for their car and are aware of the real delivery timescales especially for Tesla and the EDDs online can be quite a put off, people don’t like lack of certainty

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Regarding tech, unless you are Tesla, all I want from you is a good hd screen with a port for apple carplay. I actually prefer wired apple carplay as I usually charge my phone in the car anyway and my phone cover doesnt allow wireless charging as it holds my cards. OEMs literally should stop wasting money on in car MCU stuff and just build a big apple carplay button.

So long as they add Android Auto support at the same time I'd be happy, its the one thing my Mini fails on, has Carplay support but no Android Auto. I think of car infotainment the same way I see my TV. I prefer to have a smart device plugged in which is easier to upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭innrain

I don't know which boat they came on but I witness them coming on N11 There is another pic on a Toyota thread for some reasons.

There were barely any deliveries in Q2 and the fact that we have a waiting room thread with 20 pages bild up only in a couple of weeks tells me there will be lots. I'm expecting around 1k for September.

A friend overcome all the trade-in issues buying nearly-new. In his opinion that is the solution for those who do not want to deal with a website purchase. They have a dealer they trust and bought all their cars from them since the 80s, made a request to look for a Tesla, dealer took care of all the other issues and delivered the car to the gate. Maybe there is a business model in this.

@innrain - "Maybe there is a business model in this."

Of course, if you are prepared to pay a good few grand above list. Before the recent price increase of the Model 3, there were a few grey dealers, you would buy your Model 3, pick it up and drive it straight to one of these dealers and they gave you about €3k above what you paid. Nice little flipping profit 😁

• Advertisement

It’s unlikely cars will ever operate without an OEM UX - There’s too many things that OEMs would never cede control of, or access to, to Apple and Android, e.g onboard service records

and on the flip side apple and android have little interest in custom building dozens of code streams for the myriad of car/driver settings that are bespoke to each OEM (ambient lighting, mirrors, vents, etc etc etc), for software that’s freeware.

it suits them to just do a generic phone/nav/audio implementation, covering 90% of the requirement, and the only OEM customisation required is the screen dimensions.

Look at it this way - how much is the average driver willing to pay for Apple CarPlay to provide a service in their VW akin to the Tesla in-house solution? (and Tesla only have 2 screens to build for - S/X and 3/Y. Apple would have literally hundreds). From a software perspective it doesn’t scale at all as freeware.

No I understand that, which is why I specified MCU - media control unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭cannco253

so another 1,858 EV’s sold in September 22.

14,513 ytd compared to 7,819 for the same period last year.

when do we reach the tipping point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think we already have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

When supply in some way approximates demand which is a while off yet

Good month for the EVs With 2 models (TM3 and ID.4) in the top sold of all cars, with the electric overtaking diesel and only 50 units behind petrol, market share 29.31%, in a market plagued by delays and shortages.

YTD market share 14.3%, ID.4 6th in top sales of all cars and Tesla placed 18th above Suzuki and Mazda in the brands ranking. Diesel PHEVs see the biggest rise in market share 🤔

• Advertisement

Thank the lord everybody finally seems to understand that diesel is dead. We should never have allowed diesel private cars on our roads. Good riddance.

They would never have been popular outside of the likes of sales reps if the Greens didn't insist on saving the polar bears. You can't blame individuals for following the money just like they are now doing with EVs.

Agreed. I never blame individuals, just the policies. It wasn't just the Greens here in Ireland, same thing happened in most other countries (in Europe) too, although we all knew diesel causes cancer. Future generations will be astonished we let this happen. It's maybe not quite as bad as adding lead to petrol 100 years ago, but it also killed many people. Possibly millions.

Ireland's claim to fame was that we had the highest percentage of diesel cars in the world. Being on a small island where the average car doesn't do much daily mileage. Shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

B5 Passats were everywhere back in the day and predated the 08 tax changes but petrols were rare enough*.

If you had the right model and engine combination like that B5 Passat then diesel was actually relatively desirable in late 90s/early 00s.

In the B5 Passat in 98 the 1.9 tdi was actually alright for refinement**, you got great space in a large saloon.

They went well enough compared to what a lot of drivers coming into them were coming from power wise.

And the big thing - over 50 mpg which was ridiculously good for the space and comfort on offer.

I know they are also a stereotypical reps car but there wasn't *that* many sales reps in the country right?????.

*given how popular the car itself was.

**if you've only ever experienced the 1.9 tdi in an Octy then yeah rised eyebrows at this point. Also I'm talking pre PD engines here. The PD versions (mostly in the facelifts) were less refined (imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are the table titles correct 2022%, is that not Sept’22 %

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What's really surprised me is that there's been more Ioniq 5 sold so far this year than Model 3. Given all the cancelled orders for the 5 that's a great result for Hyundai. You'd think they'd be well up the list without the cancelled orders.

Yes the B5 Passat 1.9 was popular but was a big car and bought by many who did reasonable mileage as it was cheaper to run than an equivalent petrol as well as being a better car all round.

However after 2008 diesel became the choice across all car categories, in all setings. It was amazing to see diesel fiestas and yaris being driven by urbanites who did sod all mileage but couldn't see beyond the low vrt and motor tax.

Personally I drove petrol cars until I bought a diesel smax in 2009. 2 reasons for this, the petrol equivalent was underpowered and thirsty and of course was crucified by high vrt and road tax. When I got my latest smax 2 years ago I would have loved to have got a phev but not available and in reality diesel was (and probably still is) the only sane option in Ireland for 7 seaters

Bear in mind the Sept market share is distorted by the glut of Tesla deliveries, which happens every few months.

as for tipping point, we should distinguish between sales tipping point and national fleet tipping point.

the total EV sales in the past decade is probably about 50k(?), which is 2% of the national fleet of c.2.5m vehicles.

id expect a tipping point in sales terms in the next 18-24months once supply chain issues can get resolved, when you consider the numbers are almost doubling YoY.

finally - bear in mind that we have 80-100k new car transactions into the 2.5m national fleet, and only a minority are EV - in other words, the overwhelming majority of market transactions (6-800k??) are happening in the 2nd hand market, and primarily at low €2-15k car values.

we’re a decade away from a person on a low-skill wage replacing their €2k micra with a €2k EV.

new car registrations are the tip of the pyramid, but the trickle-down takes 10-15 years

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Yep that was mainly first 3 month's supply before the had quality issues with one of there suppliers loosing 3 months stock of a components pretty much stopping production for 3 months seems only to be gearing up again now. Similar happened to VW last year with the ID4 and wiring looms that were made Ukraine. Logistics and supply issues sorted there so big bump in production there.

Would expect Ioniq 5 to bounce back for Jan but by then may have missed the boat with SEAI grant. Personally I'm ok with that as my premium plus is a bit of a unicorn at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭usual_suspect

I'd disagree - just look at the Polestars and many others already making Android Auto the dashboard UX.

And the next version of Apple CarPlay (demoed recently) is being built to take over the whole dashboard.

personally, it's a crazy decision but most Car OEMs are showing they can't do software very well so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think what will happen will be that most auto makers will just reskin Android automotive, similar to what mobile phone manufacturers are doing

This does work for the UI side of things but cars have a lot of other hardware with its own controller compared to a phone.

So there'll probably still be a lot of integration work for car manufacturers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That guy isn't the greatest source in the world. He's one of the market analysts who is heavily invested in Tesla and by coincidence his opinion pieces all align with whatever Tesla are doing, quotes like the below are a good example.

Currently, there is not a single legacy automaker in the world that has proven they are capable of developing and delivering good software for their battery-powered electric vehicles, which disqualifies them all as a good investment and a company with a future.

I don't think software experience has to be critical to delivering a successful EV. There's not much information that a driver really needs to successfully operate their vehicle, everything else is window dressing. I much prefer tactile controls, but that may be because it's what I'm used to.

Yeah I think cars like the E-Up demonstrate that you can make a successful EV without any requirement for an expensive infotainment system and complex software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

surprised that the polestar 2 is not in the top 10 given that the id5 is number 10 on 35 units. I would be fairly confident that Polestar have sold more than that

I think that's for the last month, not full year

Polestar 2 is a pretty rare beast, I've only seen 1 in Ireland so far

Where software and tech will be very usable in future is when the car is able to accurately guide drivers to working chargers.

Based on live data.

I'd much rather have an adequate nationwide charging network than software on a car. In the meantime, I'm happy enough for my connected device to cover that gap.

Yes a proper network is vital.

The car being able to guide you to a charger isn't a replacement for a proper network.

It would just be another way of making life easier for drivers in future.

But your phone could do all of that, look at Tesla and ABRP integration where ABRP accesses live data about the car and then updates the route planning

I will say that I don't see myself buying a car without an onboard satnav that works offline anytime in the future. I've seen enough situations where my phone has to signal or android auto craps out that I want some backup

It's really not that hard to make a decent satnav with some connected services. I think where automakers are going wrong is that they're stretching to build a full OS and UX by themselves instead of just looking for something off the shelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Tesla's already have this functionality. You could hop off the ferry in Cherbourg and put in Rome and it'll plan the whole thing for you, preheating for optimal charging speeds as required, change charging stations if the one you were going to was full etc...

I will say that I don't see myself buying a car without an onboard satnav that works offline anytime in the future. I've seen enough situations where my phone has to signal or android auto craps out that I want some backup

Phone signal isn't an issue if you pre-load the offline maps for an area. It's a balance of two scenario's, most in-car nav systems aren't kept up to date enough for them to remain useful over time.

By phone signal I meant GPS signal. Not sure if it's just my phone but on occasion Google maps gets stuck on Android auto and won't update the location.

It's a glitch and it's fixable, but it's enough that I'd want a backup option

• Advertisement

“The number of new electric cars licensed has increased by 81 per cent from 7,470 in the first nine months of 2021 to 13,506 in 2022,” she said.

“At the same time, the number of new diesel cars is decreasing. For the first nine months of 2022, 25,113 new cars licensed were diesel cars compared with 32,341 in the same period in 2021.”

So when wil electric cars outsell diesel cars? Place your bets now…..

Electric cars already outsell diesel cars, someone posted the figures above.

Those 25,113 people who bought a brand new diesel car this year are going to suffer horrendous depreciation.

That's already insane. 2 diesels sold for 1 EV? Unthinkable even 12 months ago

That is the beauty of doubling rate. Here is my representation of the fuel mix car sales over years. Diesel is defo a loosing horse bet now. Would PHEV be the same as the Ethanol mix was in 2008-2012. HEVs are still going strong which is particular to Irish market. Anyway I think next year EVs would account for 20-22% while diesels would be at around 22-25%, so not crossing yet but 2024 would see that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think it will happen next year.

It's quite possible, although it might not all go to EVs. Until this year diesel was cheaper than petrol. Given that petrol has largely caught up with diesel in terms of fuel consumption, I think there'll be a big drop in diesel sales next year

I think we'll see another doubling of EV sales and an increase in hybrid and out petrol cars next year. Then it'll gradually give way to hybrids, PHEVs and EVs over the next few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

No they don't outsell diesels. Despite all Toyota's ad money trying to make you think so, a car is not an electric car unless you can load it with energy electrically - a Corolla with only a petrol filler cap is not an electric car: it's a more efficient petrol car, and even if it uses electricity internally, the only thing you put into it to make it go is petrol.

Add PHEVs and BEVs and they still fall short of diesel sales. That will change, though, but it's not there yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Plug ins should overtake diesel next year based on the current trends, assumes that the legacy makers actually deliver a few cars as they all seem to be on massive back order. If not will be 2024.

Long time before there are more EVs on the roads than diesels though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Depends on how the supply-chain issues go with car-makers. The current lingering problems around semiconductors have caused manufacturers to scale back production of their cheaper, low margin vehicles and concentrate their reduced production capacity on making higher-margin product instead. That means less petrols and diesels, more PHEVs and BEVs; even within combustion-engined cars, the basic trims are limited availability, while the loaded models can be had relatively easily.

If things loosen up, then you will see mild-hybrid petrol cars making a serious comeback at the lower end of the market: not everyone can afford PHEV or BEV pricing for a new car.

The real move in the market is when BEVs get onto the second-hand market: only a minority of car-buyers buy new cars. Right now, there’s no supply of used BEVs barring some early low-range LEAFs and Teslas (no, not even with your money...) and this has inflated the second-hand prices of BEVs to a point where they’re out of reach of most used-car buyers. When the current wave of models hits the used market, things will really change.

If you look up in dictionary the definition of "preaching to the choir" you'll find your post. We know that. The case was for September only and we know it is a spike but this spike is the front wave of what it is to come. look again at the bar plot above: diesel is loosing and it is not a fluke. It started in 2015 and never changed. This year is at its lowest since 2007. We know HEVs are petrol powered cars and PHEVs are mostly the same. I kept the official designation from SIMI for historical purposes. Even if you add them up as petrol cars they are still lower than they were in 2007 and they will continue to slide.

Will companies go back to producing cheaper cars when EVs become cheaper? And if you expect very cheap EV's from the modern cars you have a lot to wait. The EV has its own intrinsic value due to the battery. A 64kWh doesn't depreciate in value so quickly as an empty petrol tank. Even after a crash there is money to be made from it.

@KrisW1001 - "The current lingering problems around semiconductors have caused manufacturers to scale back production of their cheaper, low margin vehicles and concentrate their reduced production capacity on making higher-margin product instead. That means less petrols and diesels, more PHEVs and BEVs"

How did you derive that? There is far more margin on a petrol or diesel than on an equivalent BEV. Most manufacturers make barely any profit at all on BEVs (Tesla excepted). The only reason they make BEVs is if they didn't, they wouldn't be allowed to make profitable petrols and diesels. They're hanging onto ICE production as long as they can. Yes even VW.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement