Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This week's classic tractor I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Very few of them are because they are too busy trying to save a fiver messing around with chainsaws and pallets. 😉

As I said if you've little else to be at it would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GERRY6420

how long is a piece of string. It depends on spec. 6155r ultimate with under 1000hrs is 130k, maybe bit more.The problem I’m seeing with tractors that’s a year old with low hours Is they arnt that much cheaper then new ones. New ones have waiting list of 6/8 months with most manufacturers. If you need a tractor that’s along time to wait, Especially if you’re a contractor. All seems to be Meaning extra demand for these year old machines

• Registered Users Posts: 19,543 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Unless you lived next door to the auction site and were going to throw them across the wall, you'd have them made up nearly as quickly as you'd get your trailer hitched up and ropes gathered to tie them on it. Never mind driving over to load them up and driving home.

"Little else to be at" would be sitting and watching the auction to put your bid in and then wasting time driving over and collecting them

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

😁 what time would she do over the quarter mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

A Ford 5000 that is attached to a yard scraper for the proce of a house deposit!

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/ford-5000/31503270

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How much would you spend on buying a tractor with front loader for general farm work, brining in bales, feeding, trailer to mart etc.

You hear different opinions. Some will say its not a massive workload so an older tractor would do the job and then others will say buy newer as it might seem expensive at first but over the long run it works out cheaper.

If you buy a 08 and keep it for 15 years at least it'll be close to 25 years old and it could have 7 or 8k hours when you buy it and what kind of problems might you run into along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

All you can do is try and buy the freshest ,lowest hours you can afford and having access to a garage or mechanic familar with your tractor brand is as important .you could buy a tractor with 1k hours and it might have issues .Most good s/h tractors hold their value pretty well nowadays but just dont be caught with a lemon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I dont know your situatilon PH so forgive me making some assumptions along the way...

From what you say above you are not doing a lot of heavy work and I am guessing that you will probably be putting up 200 to 250 hours per year, max. You seem to want to get a decent quality, comfortable, reasonably modern machine and thats not unreasonable. IMO something in the 90 to 100 hp category is sufficent. Don't pay any regard to lads lifting your head saying you need 120/130 hp, "better be looking at it than looking for it" etc. Lots of lads would be doing the work you are talking about with 70hp. For the 5 times in the year that the tractor might be under pressure pulling a big load up a steep hill, change down a gear.

I'd be looking at getting into a 12-15 year old tractor with 4 to 5k hours on the clock, not abused, in good condition with a good set of tyres. Not overly complex, minimum of electrics, definitely a shuttle. I'd recommend something before Ad Blue / EGR became prevalent. They are out there, if something looks worn out or high hours, walk away and keep looking. A well looked after tractor engine is good for 10k hours plus without major repairs. A clutch is a common replacement cost on loader tractors - budget €1k for a dry clutch replacement every 5 years, wet clutch dunno the cost €2/3k? but will last longer. Tyres - front should last 7 years at the hours I assume you are doing and rears up to 15 years. Turbo might need doing at some point €1k. Lift, gearbox brakes should generally have no issues unless abused and provided you dont buy an overly complex system.

You dont indicate you have trade in, but there must be a tractor there in the background doing the work now.... I am guessing that its an older 2 w/d maybe something ye want to keep for yardwork /nostalgia. So moving up from that to a 100hp, 4w/d with loader maybe 12-15 years old is a big step up.

You are prob best dealing with a solid local garage if you are not comfortable with looking at or repairing machines yourself. Tractor type is down to your self but I'd be looking at something like a MF 5445 / 5455, a NH 5040, or equivalents from CASE, John Deere, Deutz, Claas etc. You can take a machine out on demo to see if it suits and should get a guarantee and have a back-up for parts & servicing down the line.

You should be able to get something decent for €35 to €42k, keep it for say 8 years and put 2k hours on it. Then you will have a circa 20 yr old well minded machine with less than 7k hours on it. What would that be worth? I'd hazzard a guess at close to €30k. If you dont need to change the tyres, then you'd be in hard luck if any repairs apart from normal servicing came to €3-4k over the 8 years. You'll have something valuable to trade in or keep as it will still be capable of doing the work you need for another 8 years after that.

Now if you are a large dairy/tillage farmer or contractor putting up 1,000 hours per year on a machine, I'd be saying something different.......Anyway just my thoughts on a sunday afternoon............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

This is a great post and thanks for taking the time, great info there. As I'm not the main decision maker, there's some things I can't compromise on.

One more question, would you get much discount for offering cash?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Keep the cash for living on. Everyone is different, I am fairly handy with a spanner so older gear suits me, went for a cheap digger for the loader work, but there’s still a rear end grab that can be put on any tractor to feed in an emergency. I use a jeep and trailer for transporting cattle, but it’s years since I had a lorry load going to the factory, as I say everyone is different, one tractor might suit you for everything but what is plan B on the frosty morning that it won’t start?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Plan b is the backup tractor or relatives machine.

There's no shortage of cash really, but you can't spend it twice so it's about value for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I be the same I have two tractors. The slurry is done by contractors.oar haulage is done by the RAV and box. One is an 80 HP 2wd and the other is a 90 hp 4wd. Bother are twenty or more years de now. Both have a mechanical shuttle. 250-350 hours per year. Last year under the 4wd gave a spot of bother after Christmas. Dropped it to the mechanic and used the 2wd to feed. The 2wd has the fertilize spreader on it most of the summer, it's taken off if there is a bit of spraying or when bales are bought in.

Both tractors can go on the road one usually is declared off the road for most of the year. I just overlap it. No hassle filing big bags into the spreader. If I had to buy a crane I would need a bigger tractor as well as the price of the crane. All in all it's as cheap to have two small ones as one bigger one and probably cheaper

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Any idea what a 1952 fergusion 20 is worth starts and everything works needs a good clean up and spray

€1500-€2000.

Often baffled at how little they make. They are almost to tractors what a Model T is to cars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Its the sheer quantity of them out there followed by the fact that they are quite limited in what you can do with them .no position control on the lift , arent good enough for bales , no difflock etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just going to do it up for vintage runs. Have a Nuffield Universal Leyland 270 and now a Fergusion 30 that will.keep the young ones happy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,212 ✭✭✭Grueller

€27k for a 2wd, 31 Yr old tractor. As Declan Nerney sang one time, stop the world and let me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wouldn't you be quare pee'd off if you traded in that tractor for 14k and the next lad put an add up for 27k. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I’d be more embarrassed if my neighbours thought that I listened to Declan Nerney 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭endainoz

Would the 2wd 110-90 be as sought after as the 4wd? I didn't know they existed. Always thought the biggest 2wd fiat you could get was the 80-90.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

our local contractors had a 2wd 115-90 turbo in the 1990s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ive seen a 160/90 2wd in the Netherlands

The yanks always wanted 2wd's for the flat prairies, so I'd say all production tractors could be specced in 2wd

Nothing looks more ridiculous than a 2wd TW-35 or the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Carnew mart has two big farm clearances one on Monday .. These on Monday week. Well minded kit I’m told. The 7740 is a nice example of an appreciating classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

You say ridiculous I say cool. I love those big 2wd TW’s!

Advertisement