Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was interesting to hear Baker apologising to Ireland and the Irish people. Is this a change in the ERG, and the quiet move away from the hard Brexit that has opposition to the NI Protocol softening - and throwing the DUP under the bus - yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't believe it is, nothing in his past utterances would suggest that what he says should be taken at face value.

Why did he say those things? IMO, nothing to do with being sorry. If I am being generous he is looking at getting Ireland back to battling on their behalf and sees that the previous few months have done nothing to help that cause.

So a few nice words, buy us a pretty dress and take us out to the pub, will be enough to forget about the previous stuff and we can just move on.

With the US deal on hold for the next few years, UK knows it needs allies. And it knows that Ireland is in a challenging position. UK is really important to us and as such we will always be more willing to side with them.

Its nothing more than a rehash of the previous divide and conquer strategy that was at the heart of the beginning of Brexit, that German car manufactures and French wine producers would force the EU to agree with the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm just not seeing it. Baker was the sort of bloke you've only heard of if you watch a lot of BBC/Sky News or read the Brexit threads on this forum or Reddit. I don't think anyone seriously expects Ireland to recalibrate its priorities based on an apology from a fringe Brexiter.

Nobody's going to forget the callous way in which Northern Ireland and its people were used as a football by successive PMs any time soon, least of all the Irish.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I didn't say it was going to work, any more than the previous attempts to divide the EU have worked.

Just that IMO that is what they are thinking of. In terms of why did Baker say it, as you pointed out he is largely a fringe actor, only coming on when Brexit is top of the news agenda. So he gets wheeled out, says what he says, and they gauge the reaction.

The reaction from Ireland, the EU the party, ERG and DUP. If it gets serious pushback, then easy to simply claim it was an off the cuff remark said with the best intentions and while the UK government are of course eager to constantly improve and maintain relationships with all their partners, Brexit is a democratic decision etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,665 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There is an obvious rift developing between the Tories and the anti-Protocol brigade. Truss and the NI Office are clearly up for a deal on the Protocol - opposition is coming mainly from the DUP, Frost, Hoey and Habib (but those latter guys are utterly powerless in this situation).

Truss never even mentioned the Protocol in her speech.....very ominous for its opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭yagan

The Tory brexit voter heartlands are all in England, so I reckon with the recent census watershed they finally see a way of fobbing off NI and its 500km EU border. If anything I can see an acceleration of a Irish border poll being pushed by brexiters to a greater degree than any Irish political party.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The deal being offered by the EU is that the EU will reduce inspections for incoming trade down to 'a few lorries per day', but that assumes those inspections find nothing, and the regular market surveillance finds nothing.

If the UK scrap all the EU standards (as they plan to do) and businesses deviate from the EU standards, then it is only a matter of time before the checks on the lorries or market do find sufficient discrepancies to increase checks - but by then the issue will have been forgotten and the NI protocol will be implemented as intended. If they find nothing, then great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think it is very simple, they are seeing the polls so are now acting reasonable again. They understand their arrogance has finally caught up with them and they are not seen in the best light by the voters so are now softening their own images to the public. This is not a Tory Party instruction but individuals within the party that is doing this.

I cannot for one moment believe that Steve Baker, hard man of Brexit, is in any way sorry about the way Brexit worked out. I think he may have an eye on the top prize so is projecting a more reasonable approach.

• Administrators Posts: 53,839 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe I am naive, but I do think this new contrite behaviour from the UK is due to a a genuine attempt at getting a deal, and that by and large the EU is going to get what it wants (again).

Not because they've suddenly realised they've made a big mistake, but rather because reality has dawned, their country is in financial peril and maintaining strong relations with the EU is vital if they are to avoid a massive **** show.

The DUP are going under that bus again.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

I think this Truss in action, as foreign minister she loved signing trade agreements, pretending they were great and riding forward again. I actually think that's her whole model of operation, always going forward and ignoring the mess behind.

If they get an agreement it will hollow out the only wing of the party that support Truss. The right wingers that support her will never be happy with any deal she gets. If she can get a deal through her own party will be the question.

Funny the DUP feel ever more redundant and side lined. BoJo only wanted to keep the pot boiling as a bolt hole when other trouble surfaced, more recently the Protocol was over ridden by visiting Ukraine in times of domestic bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Maybe I am naive, but I do think this new contrite behaviour from the UK is due to a a genuine attempt at getting a deal, and that by and large the EU is going to get what it wants (again).

A deal with whom? The EU? The UK have done little to implement the existing deal.

Not because they've suddenly realised they've made a big mistake, but rather because reality has dawned, their country is in financial peril and maintaining strong relations with the EU is vital if they are to avoid a massive **** show.

I don't think they care about a shi* show but are more worried about the possibility of an election on the horizon and also Labour surging past them in the polls. If they were worried about image or anything then the cronyism and corruption evident over the last number of years would have been called out.

The DUP are going under that bus again.

Hopefully. They are of no benefit to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

I think this might actually make sense of Bakers appointment. At the time it seemed tone deaf and a very bad sign. However, if a strategy had been formed to ditch the protocol fight with the EU and the ERG group have come on board, then Baker being one of the original hardliners will be a perfect frontman to sell the new approach.

I wonder what Kermit will make of this, if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

"C'est toujours le droit qui fait la paix!"

(Mais c'est d'habitude le droit qui fait la guerre")

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A now Catholic (albeit brexity) owned Bamford/Wrightbus would be ideal.

A huge shift in the Irish-UK mood music. I'd say the DUP and Hoey et al are absolutely seething at this stage.

Is it significant that they are standing in front of the wrong flag?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The DUP getting shafted was always the outcome, it was simply a measure of what form the "betrayal" would take. Whether the UK government would manage to adjust its populism enough to match something workable within the reality of the EU's frameworks - or change the font on the Protocol and call it a climbdown by Brussels.

It'll be interesting to see how the next round of NI elections go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The really beautiful thing is that every time it happens, their own misguided, blind, tribal loyalties mean that they can never bring themselves to criticise the Tories. Instead they tie themselves up in knots so that they can, somehow, no matter how illogically, blame "Dublin", the EU and Sinn Fein. If nothing else it shows an incredible lack of self respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure I'd quite see the cause for celebration here, or for laughing at the DUP.

Seems to me that every bit of ground that Dublin and the EU ever concedes on the NI issue eventually becomes the new starting point for Westminster saying 'not working, must negotiate, meet in the middle'.

Seems to me that every bit of ground that Dublin and the EU ever concedes on the NI issue eventually becomes the new starting point for Westminster saying 'not working, must negotiate, meet in the middle'.

Such as?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We don't need more people pushing the "any day now" shtick... The EU hasn't conceded anything.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I guess it's going back to the original 'Oven Ready Deal' of 2019 which obviously was the result of negotiation in autumn of that year and required both sides giving ground. But straightaway Johnson wanted to re-negotiate it (which was clearly the plan all along). And since then it always appears to be the EU as the ones slightly giving ground, and each time that becomes the new place from which some further half-way point must be found.

It's just the impression I get, I wouldn't be an expert on every step of the process over the last few years.

Oh, I'm definitely not doing that, the 'any day now out of SM' stuff is bag-of-hammers crazy at all levels.

But Dublin/Brussels announcing that there may be certain flexibilities in checks and the UK saying 'oh then we'll finally do what we already agreed to 3 years ago' is clearly an example of moving towards their position and not getting anything extra in return. It's just (in my opinion, often wrong) a recipe for them doing a rinse and repeat in 6 months time.

And since then it always appears to be the EU as the ones slightly giving ground, and each time that becomes the new place from which some further half-way point must be found.

But the EU haven't conceded anything. The Brits have made numerous U-turns on their demands. You've been listening to too much of the Boris Johnson Westminster waffle but like most things the lazy sod says, it's all lies!

It's just the impression I get, I wouldn't be an expert on every step of the process over the last few years.

The EU didn't need to turn. The EU didn't turn. The EU, funny enough, doesn't need the UK as much as various Brexiteer MPs had claimed.

They won't be able to do anything that's not already in the treaty. It benefits both sides to reduce checks as much as is reasonable. Let's see what's announced. Truss is currently in the middle of turning the pound into the rouble. That's not the sort of person who's going to be able to hoodwink an experienced negotiating body like the EU.

The Trade & Cooperation Agreement (which includes the Northern Ireland Protocol) has room for flexibilities if both sides are doing what they are meant to be doing.

The UK is still not doing what it is meant to do because of <insert this weeks feeble excuse here>. If the current discussions refer to any flexibilities, this will only be subject to the UK getting the finger out. The problem for the UK in getting the finger out is that it highlights the shocking mess that is Brexit.

The DUP and associated hangers on (Frost, Hoey, Habib, Bryson etc) have been very loud and belligerent in the media for the last nine months at least, perhaps in the assumption that the UK Govt was on their side. It now looks like the British side are simply going to bypass them and agree a Protocol settlement with the EU.

I meant to add that it would b quite easy to believe that the EU has made various concessions given that Johnson as PM and most Tories would happily tell us that they will make various demands and EU will agree to them. After the event they will make it look that Britain got her way. This bull has been supported by much of the UK's press. I'm sure the current main headlines on the Express newspaper's website describes how the EU have failed at something, etc.

...checks express site... yup...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

We haven't moved on from playground logic.

If Britain takes the ball home & leaves, the game (EU) will stop for everyone!

If Britain demands the EU (/European) flag begone from a summit (essentially puts a cover over its own eyes...), Britain makes the nasty EU itself disappear for everyone attending!

They've all been reading Hitch-Hikers guide to the Galaxy way too much perhaps.

• Advertisement

I thought the NI Protocol was a part of the Withdrawal Agreement, which is the international agreement that the British Gov want to tear up.

The TCA is a different matter altogether.

Advertisement