Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gallagher Premiership 2022-2023 Season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Children can swear too so it is not an adult thing. You can accentuate what you say without swearing and swearing is never good or appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It seems to be a recurring theme in the Premiership that teams run up a big lead in the first half but ship a lot of points in the second half, often making the final result close when it should have been anything but. Quins Northampton is another example this weekend and Exeter Quins and Bristol Irish the previous weekend.

Are teams saving themselves and happy to give up bonus points when they are confident of winning or do they actually capitulate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,631 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Agreed, the use of bad language in todays society is just fuckling terrible

I watched the build up to Tigers and Sarries and the BT commentators (monye i think - who is normally very balanced) said that Farrell would be up against pollard at some stage today and that the Gallerger premiership never fails to deliver for its fans.

I wonder what the glaws fans who were watching would have made of that!!!

Van Graan's Bath is the first club to indulge in a bit of asset stripping!

Bath are due to announce the loan signings of four players from Worcester Warriors, including the England internationals Ted Hill and Ollie Lawrence. Worcester’s suspension from the Gallagher Premiership and the failure of the club’s owners to pay their staff has left players looking for opportunities elsewhere and Bath, without a win in their first four games of the season, are recruiting Hill, the flanker, Lawrence, the centre, the Russia prop Valery Morozov and the Australian flanker Fergus Lee-Warner.

Bath have been beset by injuries in the opening weeks: Charlie Ewels, the England lock, could miss the whole season after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee while on international duty with England in Australia in July. Sam Underhill has been ruled out for the next two months with a shoulder injury, while Josh McNally and GJ van Velze are also absent after dislocating their shoulders. Morozov, who left Bath for Worcester in the summer, returns to the Recreation Ground as cover for Beno Obano, the loose-head prop, who has recently had surgery on his knee. Lawrence will add to the options in a Bath back division depleted by injuries to the likes of Tom de Glanville, Will Muir, Ben Spencer and Jordan Venter.

I presume there is some sort of injury joker loophole to do that within salary cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Wrfc players limited isn't protected by the administration and is facing a winding up hearing on Thursday.

All player contracts with Worchester will be gone then.

It's hard to see the future for Worchester Warriors.

Demote into the championship for next season, build a team of academy players and loan development prospects and to win promotion while building a real team for the following season.

Your beliefs aren't really of much interest to me. And accessible online dictionaries have superseded the need for you to mount your IKEA pulpit and provide definitions to plebs like me. My comment was tongue in cheek (that's upper cheek, incidentally) and didn't require a pontificating sermon.

My understanding is that the salary of the injured player is removed from the cap calculation thereby allowing the affected club to recruit a joker at the same salary level. Of course the club must be able to afford to pay both players' salaries and Bath are fortunate in that Bruce Craig is a very wealthy man!

• Advertisement

Warriors gone - in 22 seconds.

Worcester Warriors expect to be suspended from the Gallagher Premiership for the rest of the season and relegated to the RFU Championship after the company that pays the club’s employees was liquidated in a 22-second court hearing today. Judge Nicholas Briggs made an order winding up WRFC Players Ltd, which was being pursued by HM Revenue & Customs over an unpaid tax bill in the region of £6 million.

“This is the darkest day for English rugby,” Steve Diamond, the Worcester director of rugby, said. “We thought we could turn the tanker around but it’s ended up like the Titanic, sadly. The ship has sunk, the captains are nowhere to be seen. The RFU/PRL [Premiership Rugby] band played in the background. There are a privileged few who have jobs.”

Worcester fear that the next step will be for their status as one of England’s 13 elite clubs to be “extinguished” and their central share in the league bought by the other Premiership clubs. The league is weighing up whether to buy Worcester’s so-called P share for £9.8 million, with the money going to repay some of the club’s £15 million debt to the government.

Without a P share, Worcester would have no access to annual central funding of about £4 million. The academy, the women’s team and the community work would all be wound up. Championship clubs receive funding of £159,000, half of which comes from the RFU and half from Premiership Rugby.

That must be one of the most devastating "non-responses" that I've ever not read. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well, Duhan didn't hang around! Scotland and British and Irish Lions winger Duhan van der Merwe was the first Worcester player to sign for a new side, rejoining Edinburgh after the High Court's ruling, while Joe Batley moved back to Bristol on Thursday.

Who expected anyone to hang around.

Contracts are cancelled, the club is going down. VDM has to think about his pocket and as importantly finding somewhere to train before the autumn internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭OldRio

Shock horror highly skilled unemployed man finds work to pay bills.

• Advertisement

This is damaging to the premiership beyond just losing two teams. It raises much broader viability questions around the professional game in England.

With the South African teams joining the URC I wouldn't be hugely surprised if there is a lot more talk of a merger with the premiership at some point.

The "shock horror" is that he didn't get his agent to sniff around and see were any French (or Japanese) clubs interested in paying him more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭PMC83

Jesus the Premiership really is in bad shape. Any idea what kind of money Biggar and higher earning Premiership players would be on?

Who's believed to be the highest earning player in Irish rugby these days, and what kind of money?

• Advertisement

Duhan going back to Edinburgh is a big surprise move considering his current status in the game. Once he was capped he couldnt have been out of their fast enough. He was linked to Racing at one stage and would well be able to secure a move to a big money club.

Indeed I are, but let's face it, sometimes money isn't everything nor should it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Unbelievable state of the pro game in England. Complete shambles. They'll hemorrhage players next season. Who would sign for a premiership team now?

I expected a one year deal to stem the financial bleeding and allow him time to properly shop around.

The fact that he took a long term deal is the real shock to me.

Yep - the SRU must have emptied its coffers. I suppose they reckon that it's worth it so they can manage his workload coming up to the World Cup.

I think you might see some quiet negotiations to try and attract the scottish or / and welsh clubs into the premership. It would make a lot of sense in some ways.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Their inbuilt arrogance might not even allow it be considered and Im sure the english would break into a sweat at the idea that they would need help from the scots or welsh but there are a lot of reasons it could be attractive.

It would bring a much needed freshness to the english premiership and a definite boost to attendances.

Its highly unlikely to happen, but its surely an avenue they might consider exploring on the quiet.

I don't know whether it's still the case but wasn't Sexton's IRFU/Leinster wedge being topped up by one of the banks to match what Racing were paying him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not a big surprise at this point in the season. Most of the big clubs would have their budgets spent. It’s the same as Sutherland to Ulster. Probably a deal to the end of the season.

Exeter beat the crap out of Bristol last night (14-50). It was so one-sided that by half time I had switched to the turgid fare on offer in the Sportsground. I wonder how patient Steve Lansdown is going to be with Pat Lam.

• Advertisement

Crazy result. They have a great squad, but really haven't taken off under Lam

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ollie Lawrence gone from worcester to bath

great bit of business for JVG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Wasps are screwed. Mike Ashley is interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Lawrence Dallagio receiving a lot of stick for inferring on BT Sport that Wasps should be treated differently than Worcester re going into administration.

Yeah hes gone and got that horribly wrong alright

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jesus! Wtf? Such poor administration. Surely the funds can come from the RFU? The premiership is becoming a joke.

How could they bail out one club which is a private entity?

It was coming.

Wasps should have been forced out over the summer really. I feel like they shouldn't have been allowed play this season.

Big bond payments overdue and everyone whistling away as if it was going to go away.

It didn't go away.

At the end of the day the stadium was too expensive and the failure to come to an arrangement a few years back where the football team would rent the stadium for the foreseeable future meant that there was no real future to the club.

• Advertisement

Massive financial knock on for the English Premiership Rugby.

Unfulfilled fixtures with all that loss of cash. Budgets would have been set counting on these fixtures.

True! But maybe they could forward fund all the teams! It's crazy!

That would be crazy.

The teams are private entities and a lot of them have stuff other than rugby going on. Realistically Wasps are in a £35 million + years of interest bond default and owe millions hmrc.

To keep the wolves from the door Wasps probably need an injection of £50 million in the short run. That would wipe out the rfu if they had to do it for every team in the premiership.

So LI, Gloucester and Bath are all down renenue from one home game this season, all others are down two. Those are pretty big holes in budgets which have to be filled.

Is it really? Most ticket revenue comes from season tickets. Clubs won't be offering refunds.

Going from 1/13th or 1/11th of of tv money might make up for it.

Wasps overall debt is £35 million. How rich do you think the RFU is?

• Advertisement

Thats just the Bond debt thats in default.

Theres also revenue debt and they owe millions to the owner and to the government in refundable covid support.

The most reliable estimate of overall debt that I've seen is around £90 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This crisis is not the responsibility of the RFU to solve, its the fault of Premier Rugby Ltd for not keeping their house in order. Kicking cans down the road and hoping for the best was always going to have a crunch moment.

What I can see happening eventually is for PRL to be liquidated and new clubs to arise from the ashes of those that have failed, Sevco style, but with a board presence from the RFU.

In the meantime those that are failing need to be let fail and take their liabilities with them, but those Directors that have traded recklessly to be prosecuted accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭ersatz

The death of pro rugby might not be the end of the world, and I'm only half kidding. What's going on in the premiership seems to indicate that the English game is not sustainable, and in France it's the largesse of rich guys who keep it afloat, that's professional in name only as it's not really viable as a stand alone business. Meanwhile the prospects for NZ rugby seem poor as long as the Saffers see their future in Europe. Even in Ireland the whole pro game is made possible by the national team's ability to capture TV audiences and sell tickets for the 6N, that would still happen if the game were not 'professional'. But ultimately the pro game is in trouble as a result of the size and speed of the athletes and the consequent and unavoidable (reducible but unavoidable) brain injuries that result from professional rugby. The amateur game is not subject to the same kinds of injuries.

Are you sure the TV money is going to stay the same when the exposure to fans is taking a hit?

Do you think advertisers are going to pay the same now that the exposure is lessened.

These problems will send a ripple through the league and they will have a knock on the european competition (which may have an easy solution on two pools with 9 teams)

Its sad to think after all these years and success they didnt own the hook they hung their hat on.

Well Gloucester stated they would be down £400k when their game against Worcester was called off. That does seem very high but they would obviously miss out on away fans plus other walk ups, then there would be various other forms of match day revenue. Maybe it was a net figure and Gloucester were also counting costs which had already been committed to as the game was called off at short notice.

Are you sure the tv money is a set pot to be shared amongst whoever is still standing rather than a fix amount per club? There's less games to be shown plus possibly less fans to watch with two clubs gone. Plus then big name players without a club or gone to another league (eg. DVDM). Then you have the general negative headlines and poor reflection on the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement