Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roaming 48 network in UK/Europe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

What phones were you using and apns if possible . Tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭beachhead

Has anyone been given a credit for taking the roaming survey with 48 and then found they can't use it? I tried to renew my membership yesterday and today using the credit but a message says "service not available".48 support will get back to me in 3 to 5 days.Mentioned Comreg and that went to 24 - 48 hours.Still a joke service.I've no intention of using my own money.i'll wait to see if credit can be used or if it's another stunt by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭spakman

1 samsung and 2 iPhones.

Search for 'sim' on phone and open 48 sim menu/sim toolkit.

Select 'When abroad->Network Selection->Manual->International - Roaming Profile'.

Then go and check your APN settings and make sure they're still set to 48months.liffeytelecom.com

Have complained to Comreg about the "free" credit from 48 after completing the roaming survey.The free credit was unexpected.Unfortunately it's not accessible.Comreg won't do much but it gets 48 up the complaints charts where they belong.Everyone in the same position should complain to Comreg-it takes a short email to Comreg or email 48 to: complaints@48months.zendesk.com

Email from 48 one hour after this post.Says my credit is active.Not a coincidence after sending Comreg an email at 11.30am and me asking 48 for comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I was in Greece in May, no coverage of any kind, the other half was in England at the weekend same story, tried the recommended fixes on both occasions & no dice. 48 a complete disaster when roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

So what networks would be people recommend for roaming abroad ? Are there any other payg plans around for a similar price to 48

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I’ve got a Vodafone SIM for roaming since I got caught out the first time with 48 not working abroad for me.

They have a bundle of 5GB for €5. Not great day to day but handy for roaming. Just top up by €5 before you go away and get the bundle and you’re good to go. Even handier if you have a dual SIM phone or a phone that supports eSIM. I’ve a Vodafone eSIM I just turn on when I need it.

I don’t know how some people manage to get the roaming working and others don’t. Haven’t been away to many places over the last couple of years due to Covid but I couldn’t get roaming working in Belgium or the Canaries/Spain. Tried all the APN and SIM toolkit settings but never works.

Vodafone and Eir SIMs connect without any problems every time.

I’ve never had any problems with 48 at home though so I’ll stick with them and hopefully they get their roaming sorted. A lot of the networks have put clauses into their T&Cs for yearly price increases to match inflation so I think you’d be mad to give up the €8 or even €12 a month deal at the moment.

Roaming on 48 will never be sorted except maybe for Europe(most of popular countries)then possibly the US,OZ and forget the rest.Maybe China,Nigeria,Brazil in the year 2525.Worked in northern Ireland this month but can be hit and miss coverage-on for 10 minutes off 1 minute,on again,off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Data roaming so far:

Uk/NI: Works fine.

France: Worked pretty well, was even able to stream a match on the beach in Nice using rte player!

Spain: Worked most of the time (Barcelona & Canaries)

Italy: No data roaming of any kind. 2g if lucky.

Netherlands: 2g only.

I bought a 3UK data sim off Amazon and leave it in my 2nd SIM slot for when 48 data doesn't work.

Has anybody tried roaming in Hungary? I'm off there this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Was in Germany recently - nothing except 2G. Went into an O2 shop in Alexanderplatz, Berlin...explained to the guy and got a prepaid sim for €19.99 which gave me 12Gb. Phone was dual sim so just popped it in. Showed him ID and he simply put the hotel adress down as the address. No issues.

But really annoying having to get another sim (albeit temporary).

Changes rolled out recently to support 4G data roaming I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

I was in Dubrovnik last week, couldn't connect for data roaming at all. I have a dual SIM phone, I carry an O2 UK PAYG SIM, got 4g data on that.

Buddy with me also on 48, and no data. He has a Clear mobile SIM, got 4g.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can get that 19.99 cost of the German sim back off them in credit if you contact their chat support, complain and be firm about them giving it all back to you in credit. I did it with a £25 sim I had to buy in Stansted earlier this summer, I wasnt putting up with any more crap after my 3rd trip abroad with no roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

In the last week I was both in France and Spain and in both I had 4G as you can see below.

Interestingly in both I had the option to enable VoLTE but that is more than likely due to the roaming carrier enabling it as I never noticed VoLTE was enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Did you still have to manually select the International Roaming Profile and/or mess around with APN settings or did everything connect automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

I was in Budapest a couple of weeks ago and it worked perfectly! Kind of surprising as it didn't work for me at all in Poland or the Czech Republic. Was fine from then on though.

I had to go into the 48 SIM Menu and change to a roaming profile. The APN settings worked straight away but that might be because I had set them up before while travelling in Italy.

I'd say this guide will still be relevant https://community.48.ie/t5/Internet/How-to-fix-no-network-service-when-roaming/td-p/56352

Post edited by not1but4 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Just landed in Budapest. Changed to the roaming profile in the SIM menu. Connected to Vodafone HU and 4g+. Getting ~25mbps which is more than decent for roaming. Looks like 48 have finally sorted out the roaming 😁

Correction.A miracle has occurred.In Vietnam I am receiving sms.I am not sure but the local network is probably accepting incoming texts and won't get paid by 48.Will they jump on my credit when I go home,haha Yes,I do know that i/c texts are free but we are dealing with 48 here.a unique company.

• Advertisement

Was this recently? Are you also able to receive calls? [EDIT: If you are there now might be worth checking if you can get someone to call you just to see if you phone rings or not]

I am personally hoping the 4G fix they are pushing also allows roaming outside of EU/Americans/Az/NZ ie to give the same roaming agreements as at least Three. As I was stuck in Mexico before without a working SIM card due to 48 having limited roaming agreements.

It pales in comparison to the roaming agreements Tesco Mobile have https://www.tescomobile.ie/roaming-and-international.aspx

Post edited by not1but4 on

In VN now.Have asked people I know not to call me.I know from experience on other Irish networks that as soon as your phone rings(or the caller hears a ring tone) you start paying for the call whether answered or not.It then goes to voicemail,if not answered.On 48 the rate to call another country,for example Ireland,OZ,Thailand is e3.20 per minute or part of.To receive a call is e1.80 With 48 I think calls are not supported-I will check up on that because I think a part for my car arrived and dealer may have tried to call me.In July 48 support told me they had no agreement in Asia to support any service for 48 customers.Something changed very quickly.

You're misinformed. If the call isn't answered, and isn't forwarded to voicemail, no network can charge you for it because there's nothing to charge for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Got it to work with a lot of trial and error in Northern Ireland and then no issues in Wales on three different phones and 48.ie accounts.

BUT thinking of a separate pay as you go SIM just for travelling.

Or maybe a family plan on some other network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

does it work in the USA?

I have been charged in the past and it's not a recent developement i.e. a money raising gimmick

Report it to comreg so. I can't see how that could happen - what call duration was listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Had a relative in England at the weekend - No coverage

Friend in NI today - No coverage

Neither messed with any APN settings trying to get it working. They wouldn't know how to. Shouldn't be so complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

In Spain -

iPhone needed to to use SIM tools and set when abroad to manual and manually update APN.

Android just needed to update APN

After that 4G worked perfectly, can't see why they can't fix this. It's not an issue on 3 or any other network.

apn - 48months.liffeytelecom.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

does 48 work in the UK?

Advertisement