Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭speedfreak

Re

Really? Only got the car in March. How do I go about that? Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Could you have done a 2 button reset while still driving. Might have saved you stopping.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, rain and sunny weather will wear/dry it away faster..

I believe it's a common enough thing for frameless windows, so you could probably pick up some in Halfords...

I was out in Tesla a while back for a few other issues, and mentioned it and they lubricated them for me.

Apparently that's not cricket now as per the RTFM brigade!! I was quoted a piece from the manual saying that you should pull over and park before doing teh reset... but this was said to me after I did it while driving and it gave my car a complete factory reset.... so Ill probably not be doing it again unless its an emergency!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Core6

• Advertisement

Never knew that was a thing! Not great after 6 months! Cheers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It happened me a few times at the start of a journey, as you say getting out and closing the door then getting back in solved the issue. It was frustrating, but easily worked around.

For me, though it was very scary (to say the least) when it happened without warning on the motorway after I pulled into the overtaking lane without noticing it.

I'd recommend opening a service request from the Tesla App (make a note of the days/times that it happened), they'll do a remote diagnostics. For my car it turned out to be a temperature sensor near the rear drive inverter that needed to be replaced - they needed to order the part in, so It'll be fixed for me around the end of the month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve done 99% of my 2 button resets while driving 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

Hi, has there been anything further from Tesla on this?

I was at 26kwh used today at 50% battery so it seems my Sep Delivered M3 RWD is also only showing a usable 52kwh!

So you can add me to the list of people who want this fixed as it is ridiculous having a 7kwh buffer! I just want to know the true range of my car and not have to guess if I can go 5kwh below zero 0%!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

When you charge to 100% what is the range displayed in the car?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Went at the squeaky suspension this evening. Not a big job in fairness. The noise is almost gone now.

Ranger is coming out to repair it on the 27th of this month. I couldn't stick the noise any longer.

Also noted I need 2 front tyres immediately. Not looking forward to tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I noticed this a week after collecting the car! It's not bad, but I suppose if a bit of lube sorts it, i'll pick some up. What type is recommended?

Stay Free

Drove out of my parents local town tonight. Car suddenly beeped and it said on the screen "limited to 66mph". Drove roughly another half a mile and it beeped again "limited to 58 mph". Tried the 2 button trick 3 times while driving but no luck. I'm started to get fed up with a lot of the shît recently.

www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/xxyrib/tesla_model_3_pulls_35_miles_of_extra_range_after/

I don’t I don’t honestly know as I’ve never had to do it myself…. But I’m sure if you asked in Halfords…. As a poster above said, probably silicone spray, and I’d probably spray in onto a cloth and wipe it into the rubber window seals.

Tbh I logged a service. It’s under warranty and I paid enough for the car so Tesla can sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

Hey - lengthy discussion with Tesla yesterday and just going round in circles. TBH i was losing the will to live after it - after seeing Bjorn's video yesterday it confirms that the have made the change to increase the buffer in newer models. I was the one that asked Bjorn to re-test a newer model and it was great to see him do it.

The whole LFP advertising in hindsight just seems dodgy now. Seems like they are being ultra cautious on it now and its not really what it cracked up to be. Yeah, charge to 100% daily and all that but then lose it on the other end.

At the end of the day the WLTP for the car is based off a 57.5kWh usable pack (my cert of conformity proves this). And earlier this year that's what u got from 100% to 0%. But it has all changed now and in order to achieve the WLTP range u need to drive about another 6kWh past zero - it's totally unsatisfactory. Like what's stopping them from increasing the buffer even further. As a consumer i'm not happy with it but the way the WLTP is designed there are loopholes everywhere.

What is very disappointing and completely not right is that the display for range in terms of KM is still working off the old 57.5kWh usable pack but the % remaining is not - very sneaky. So they at least need to come out and be honest about that and change it because its a complete contradiction and totally misleading. FYI the WLTP efficiency assumes you have 57.5kWh available at 117 wh/km but now with so much of that hidden below zero it's a total farce. Very very dishonest behavior.

My take in the early 2022 cars was that the pack was 60.5kWh - usable 57.5kWh and a 3kWh buffer that was not "hard" - this may have caused some battery's to completely die and be totally wrecked so now they have:

Same full pack of 60.5kWh

Hard buffer of 3kWh to prevent irreversible damage

"usable" of 57.5kWh but a "soft" buffer of 5.5~6kWh

100%-0% = 52kWh

Yet the range displayed on the car still shows what it was in early 2022 models - this should have been adjusted downwards to reflect that it now represents 52kWh instead of 57.5kWh.

They are learning all the time about LFP and have been singing its praises but they simply cannot bring themselves to display a reduced range in the car as the optics will be confusing, which would be viewed as a backwards step.

Its actually a scandal and they need to come out and fix the mistake. But can u imagine the questions from owners when the displayed EPA range in the car goes from 438km to 396km overnight?????

I was preparing a new thread on the entire issue but I think i will leave my crusade here and hope that Tesla will come out and own up to this and have some integrity and fix it. I have spent enough time and energy on it. I am happy that at least i questioned the issue and my suspicions were correct.

Thanks,

Thanks for following up on this. So basically the available range is there, but you need to drive past 0% and break into the soft buffer to do it. IOW, they moved the zero up a few clicks to discourage people from using that buffer.

Could it be that they are concerned about people running down the buffer and leaving the car nearly empty? In colder weather, could this then damage the battery? I’m just thinking of the warnings we get about cold battery when it’s running low. It all points to protecting the battery from degradation/damage, but at the cost of range the customer won’t access.

Stay Free

Sorry but just one final point to note on how i calculated EPA range for the current model versus the model delivered earlier in 2022.

Cell chemistry:                 LFP

Battery Pack Size:           ~60kWh

Usable Pack Size:            ~57.5kWh

Battery variant:                E6LR

WLTP rating for the E6LR assumes 57.5kWh usable battery and high energy consumption (TEH) of 117 wh/km

117 wh/km = 8.55km per kWH

Therefore WLTP quoted range of 8.55*57.5 = 491km

Using a conversion ratio for EPA to WLTP of 1.12 the EPA rated range for the car is 438km. This is displayed as the range remaining at 100% charge in-car.

438km is what was displayed in early 2022 models with a lower buffer.

But hey ho the Sept deliveries of the RWD E6LR LFP pack are also showing an EPA range of 438km.

However, the EPA range displayed in-car should actually be 52kWh*8.55/1.12 = 397km as this is the EPA range from 100% to 0%.

The % battery remaining is working off the 52kWh but the rated range in the car is not.

This is not simply an honest mistake.

Anyway that really is it from me for now - i just wanted to show the calculations behind my figures.

Some interesting side-note readings on WLTP rating calcs here:

https://www.electrive.com/2022/05/23/how-wltp-range-is-really-calculated/#:~:text=One%20could%20reasonably%20assume%20that,that%20would%20be%20456%20km.

bottom line is yes they are learning about the battery and they are correct to be cautious however the EPA range displayed in the car needs to be changed because it is currently a LIE. No other words for it.

They need to step up and be transparent and let customers know the reason for the change. Then we can move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

While I understand your frustrations with the usable range.

Does it actually impact you? Were you expecting to use that last few % regularly? I've mine nearly 3 years and only been at 6% or lower once and only for a few mins when pulling into a supercharger.

If you set your range to % and it accurately calculates % left for trips etc...what does it really matter?

Or is it just the misrepresentation that's bothering you?

I think what you are missing is that 0% isn’t really 0%, it’s more like 10% but isn’t used in the nav calculations. It makes little difference to me, but I’m sure it will result in the car navigating to a charger on a long trip too early, which is time wasted. It has knock on effects. Mc is right. Tesla need to be upfront here. I’m surprised there hasn’t been uproar about it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭reni10

I will regularly be doing a round trip of about 360km soon and I am always being directed to charge in the Tesla nav system so cannot make it without charging according to that but if I had an extra 10% then I can make it with 5 or 6% to spare it seems.

My route has no superchargers along it and very few other chargers available either so it is a real hassle to have to charge and if I should be able to make it in one go then why would I want to charge when I really don’t need to so basically wasting my time and money because Tesla are not calculating the proper range remaining in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

That's what I was wondering, so it will actually affect you that's fair enough. Tesla nav I find to be conservative anyway. Last long trip it directed me to Ballacolla but only added 10% and made it home with more than 10% so could have done it without stopping but always nice to have a little buffer in case of detour, accidents etc ..

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bilasy

Since you use both cars , in the ID3 mostly in a good sunny day I can get 520Km from the 56 KW battery, in M3 my max so far is fixed on 439 Km, were you able to get more on your M3?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Good luck with your endeavors but this is a case of Tesla replicating exactly what they have done before in 2019 on all Model S's with the 85 pack, they both increased the buffer (huge range loss overnight) and highly throttled the SuC charging rate. There has been many class action court cases over it. The first post in this thread is kept up to date...

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/sudden-loss-of-range-with-2019-16-x-software.154976/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is it legal to abandon all attention to the road in autopilot, that you can simply pick up a newspaper and read it

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭JOL1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭wassie

Not legal.

Road Traffic (No. 2) Act 2011, Section 4 - Irish Statute Book

Careless driving. 52.— (1) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place without due care and attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,978 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cool, just seems to be a onlyfans thing at the moment, how do people get away with flying down the roadway at 70mph with cars flying by with families, and other road users. They post these things with face showing without a care in the world, and continue to do these things without challenge

Advertisement