Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,708 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You think I am demonising you? You're the on on here trying to put guilt on your colleagues.

Ironic that you'd think about your own personal circumstances when making decisions about pay and conditions despite your assertations that back in the day the unions worked toward a collective good (they still do).

How exactly were the members "more focused" back in the day? Me hole they were. It's the same factors that fed into their decision making processes.

I believe given the current circumstances in the wider economy, a 6.5 percent pay deal for myself and a higher percentage for lower paid workers, on top of the 3 odd percent that was already agreed, as well as changes to tax bands, assistance with electricity bills etc and a timeframe to begin negotiation the next deal of H2 2023 is as good an outcome as can REALISTICILLY be expected given the wider economic climate. I make no apologies for that.

Would a few days strike bring about a better package to keep the minority (like yourself), some of whom won't outline exactly what a "better package" is actually result in a significantly better deal - the unions don't appear to think so and neither do I.

The mental gymnastics on show here this afternoon are astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sergioaguero

when ye are finished fighting there, any chance one of ye could answer my question?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭crinkley

Everyone will get back pay regardless. They are hoping it will be paid before Christmas, sometime in November or December

The dates of payment have yet to be set. A bit of work to do to get everything lined up I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some "negotiation" when they agree to deal after deal which leaves us worse off.

Scrap the cap!

Telling somebody to do two things which you know are impossible.

That is not constructively engaging in discussion, it's completely childish tbh.

Scrap the cap!

The only mental gymnastics on play here, are those you've used to convince yourself that this is a good deal, and the only deal that could've been made.

Slinging more rubbish at me about what happened in the past won't change that.

No one should have had to rely on budget measures to make it worth accepting. Budget measures which I remind you, do not apply to everyone equally, or benefit everyone equally. The Budget should never have formed part of the negotiation - but now watch them do the same again next year, because they got away with it this year.

I don't see anyone negotiate pay increases with a private sector employer with "oh changes in the budget will make up the rest for you."

We're done here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If ministers can refuse increases, its possible for anyone. Nothing stopping her trying to negotiate her own pay rise. Her success at doing so successfully is in question.

81 pages in, and you still think I'm posting about a better pay rise for myself. Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

Why else would you have spent 81 pages thinking a better deal could be got.

It is a good deal in the present climate. Private sector employees have a totally different set of metrics that come into play when negotiating their pay.

I don't think you appreciate the absolute **** storm that awaits may private sector employees over the next 6-12 months and for someone who cares about others so much, I am surprised.

If we get another 7.5 percent pay rise next year for the following 18 months on top of the same or similar taxation changes, 600 towards energy bills etc I don't think there would be anyone complaining, well maybe there would.

And again I ask you for specifics as to what would make you happy. I think I've asked you a few times but no dice.

Post edited by kippy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Public service is different to the private sector. It's not all about profit. You can measure staff in the private sector by their contribution towards profit, whether directly or indirectly. It's a bit different when your organisation is about provide care for people who are dying, or inspecting abattoirs, or assessing social welfare claims. You can't put in place a common system of linking salary to objectives when objectives are often not measurable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

For clerical officers. It has been Loueze's main objective since the first page

Kippy, I posted specifics earlier in the thread. I've have told you this several times, but you've ignored that. Go back and look, if you're actually bothered in doing anything other than trying to score cheap points off me.

Because, (though I realise this is obviously a foreign concept to some) - not all of us are only out for whats in it for ourselves.

But apparently saying that is "posturing" and "holier than thou".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Loueze do you seriously think the government was going to give anything more than what has been given especially with the carry on Putin is at and after the unions getting us all the 2 hours back.

I think it’s as good as we could get under the circumstances and it looks like most union members think that too.

Btw the unions will be back at the table in a years time to negotiate the next agreement.

Can someone help me out here. What was Loueze looking for earlier in the thread?

We've already established that you are in it for yourself - you've even said this youself in a recent post.

You've also shown that you've been happy enough to vote in lesser rights for civil servants who have started their roles post 95.

You are at odds with yourself.

This is getting really personal and you're totally misrepresenting that poster in my opinion.

We know why Loueze (and I) are less than happy with this 'deal', but why are you not happy? You've got what you wanted but still you're like a dog with a bone.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping her trying to negotiate her own pay rise.

That's total bull. There is absolutely no way any department would entertain that for a millisecond, and you know it.

Scrap the cap!

Can you stop deliberately misrepresenting me please.

Because its either deliberate, or you lack the ability to read and comprehend properly.

I don't believe I have misrepresented them at all based on what they've said.

They suggest the care about the lower paid in the sector.

They suggest union members care more about themselves now than they did years ago.

They suggest that a better deal was available.

They look down on their colleagues who have accepted this deal with disdain.

I don't think any of those misrepresent the posters position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭dubrov

The reality is that anything less than inflation is a pay cut. Maybe the private sector is getting raises less than inflation as well but I assume the government and unions have those numbers.

6.5% over two years is a long way short of inflation though.

I don't think you appreciate what a pay cut is.

There are very few if any people getting payrises to match inflation. Do people in the public sector really think those in the private sector get payrises to come close to matching inflation? Do they not appreciate that security of tenure is a considerable benefit to have in uncertain times?

Do they really think private sector employers just throw money around the place?

Well, for one claiming in your more recent post that I am "only in it" for myself, which is completely untrue. And you know it.

But when you have to start making it up as you go along, and deliberately misrepresenting what was said to score points, you've nothing left. You've tried attacking me for being a pre-95 staff member, you tried attacking me for staying in tmy job as long as I have, and now you're on to attacks on my character.

I find it all quite pathetic, really.

Ill let the other posters decide if I've misrepresented you.

I didn't attack you at all-indeed I would be concerned if you'd think that anything posted by an anonymous stranger on a forum could be construed as an 'attack'. I stated your position (from what you have told us yourself) and refuted a number of claims you have made about union members in the past and current union members based on comments you have made yourself.

It's fine on your high horse up there claiming to look out for the lower paid staff who report to you but when challenged on whether that is true the facts point to something entirely different.

You made decisions in your past based on your own personal circumstances (stated a number of posts ago) and continue to knock people who have done the same in the past number of weeks, yet still can live with it enough to continue working where you are.

That's what's pathetic.

Of course I do. I also know that as she is a member of the union that she's also signed up to collective bargaining. The majority of members of that union voted for the deal(for varying reasons I'm sure) but instead of telling us how bad it is, just accept that's the process union membrs sign up for.

• Advertisement

No. You stated your misrepresentation of my position.

I don't know what "facts" you think you have presented that prove my position is anything other then what I say it is. Strange you think you know whats in my mind and what motivates me, better than I do.

The "decisions I made" in the past that you are have attacked me for and have tried to twist around against me here were on matters that impacted me, and me alone. Not any of my colleagues. Like staying in my job despite low pay, and remaining in the Union for the income continuance plan, due to not having any social welfare entitlements in the event of long term illness.

You also seem to think you know my voting history in previous campaigns, and have even tried to attribute changes in work conditions for post-95 staff that were never put to a membership vote, down to people like me voting on them.

But you know what, do your worst. Because by continuing with this, you're only making yourself look spiteful, at this stage.

Advertisement