Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But you're ok with the 'Pushback against leftism', 'wokeism of the day', 'the views on multiculturalism' type threads and all the rest of them.

Thanks for proving my point.

The percentage of people in Russia, North Korea or China who would see their countries as left wing is negligible I expect. I think they would see their leadership as either outright or quasi-dictatorships.

In Ireland, what dangerous polices are being driven by groups who identify as left wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Are you suggesting that left wing regimes have never engaged in expansionist behavior such as invading other countries?

The notion that such behavior is the preserve of the right wing is an indication of the overly simplistic mind set of people in this day and age.

Putin is a scumbag, he's doing horrific things and we're closer to nuclear annihilation now than at any point since the Cuban missile crisis which was a situation instigated by the USSR, the system into which Putin was born raised became a significant contributor, the very system that made him the megalomaniacal lunatic he is today, an extreme left wing system.

It's probably more productive for us to call Putin an extremist than to assign a right wing motivation to his actions.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Are you suggesting that all regimes that have committed atrocities are left wing?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

°°°°°

You're talking about these things from your perspective and insisting that no other perspective could possibly be valid.

You're not open to the potential of a counter argument that would change your mind on anything, you are soapboxing, others here have pointed this out also.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts but we don't have to accept that things are set in stone because you deem them to be.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Marxist organisation influencing people in Ireland to murder Gardai.

With all that’s going on with the police in this world, I shot him,” a barrister told the Central Criminal Court this afternoon.

Opening Mr Silver’s trial, prosecution counsel Michael Delaney SC said the accused then said something about Black Lives Matter, which the barrister said may have been a reference to the killing of George Floyd in America some months previously.

°°°°°

Dictatorships have never been exclusively right wing.

This is the type of disconnection from reality that underpins everything you're putting forward here.

Glazers Out!

You're so intent in saying I'm wrong, you're not even listening to what I am saying. And doing so while saying I'm disconnected from reality is so bizarre I think you wrote that knowing the way it would be read.

The dangers that impact society the most right now, are coming from the right.

It's a separate debate as to whether any individual with true left wing ideals has gone on to become a dictator or whether they just snuck in on the left wing ticket. If you want to start a thread on that, go ahead, I'd probably contribute to it. But, unless you can point to left wing ideals that are currently and obviously negatively impacting peoples lives, then there isn't really any point in you talking about history, whether you are accurate in that statement or not.

The premise of the thread is that what strategy or policy is being flagged or raised as problematic for society in todays world. You've people from both sides who will point to things. I've listed several right wing policies that are a concern. People from the right talk a lot about gender, CRT (in the US), indoctrination in schools, the great replacement theory, the emasculation of men, the Green agenda and so on. But none of these issues are problematic in any comparable way to what right leaning governments and groups are actually doing.

So, why do you think that given what is happening with respect to the climate, the cost of living, democratic procedures, control of ones own body, do some people want to focus on gender topics or any of the other non-existent/much less impactful topics?

From my perspective with real world examples. Feel free to challenge them when you eventually realize just because you tell me to stop talking, I'm not going to.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Talk away. I haven't said you should stop, I've just stated that your opinion doesn't equal fact in the manner you suggest it does.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

So any left wing dictatorships in history have been simply masquerading as left wing?

It's this type of partisan nonsense that makes a mockery of your opinions.

Everything bad that's ever happened is the fault of "the right" even when it's the left it's just the right pretending to be the left.

I'm not intent on saying that you're wrong, I'm intent on letting you know that your opinion doesn't equal fact and that your insistence that a bogey man group is to blame for everything is a reductive opinion bordering on delusion.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Because the first 2 are funny and the last is a failed ideology that's never worked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The dangers that impact YOUR society the most right now are coming from the right. That isn't true of everywhere, and it certainly isn't true of Ireland where the real nutters with influence and with the dangerous ideas, ranging from Wallace and Daly to Sinn Fein to Paul Murphy all claim to be on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,897 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Putin would claim to be left-wing, a true communist, as would the Chinese and North Korean leaders. Trump would claim to be right-wing, but some of his policies, including the State building a wall or interfering in how people use their own bodies are the opposite of true liberal right-wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Don't honestly think this has much to do with the blm bullshit, guy look's like a loon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Where has he made this claim? He began by making liberalising reforms before embracing totalitarianism.

Trump is right wing. The wall is a perfect example. It's a waste of money said money can end up in the pockets of GOP donors. Perfect right wing grift.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Again, I've never said everything that was ever wrong was because of those on the right.

I'm saying that atrocities carried out by people who at one time or another claimed to be left wing were carried out in contravening left wing ideals, rather than upholding them as more frequently has happened, and is happening right now on the right.

And I'm not saying that all things that are happening right now are comparable to the worst atrocities that happened in the past before you go that route.

And again I'll point out that you still haven't even attempted to counter the point in the title of the thread.

Don't think it's in any way realistic to suggest that the real dangers is coming from those who have never been in power and to this point have had little influence on legislation.

It is likely that Sinn Fein will be in power in the not too distant future. My bet is that when they get there, it is more likely they will govern in a manner not too dissimilar to those who are currently in power. Time will tell.

Which SinnFein policy do you think poses a danger to society?

I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that Putin or Kim see themselves as anywhere close to being Left wing.

Do you think Putin, Kim or Xi display Left ideals in how they govern?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Glazers Out!

Probably around a dozen posts and not one challenging the thread title. Worth remembering on the next outrage-du-jour thread.

°°°°°

You really have no idea how wrong you are about boards being right wing is all I can say.

I'd love to continue but I can't.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For the right it’s always about dichotomies. Everything has to be one. Red vs. blue. Left vs right. Commie vs capitalist etc. in the US we see fox drive these dichotomies as the brand: “both sides” “fair and balanced” etc. to pit themselves as the us and the “mainstream media” (that they’re the top actor in) as the “them”

Jon interviews the Arkansas State Gov who reflects this mindset: they insist on overriding medical consensus because, like climate denial, they see some bizarre need to dichotomize every issue they don’t like, in this case the AG lays out that they expect about a 50:50 of “sound medical advice” to “anti-left quackery” any time a patient is under consideration for gender affirming care.

The same bullshit they do with evolution and gun reform etc.

But people in the center see both just as bad as each other. Problem is where people in the center stray onto something that is considered right wing when its not. I don't support unfettered immigration. But also believe in social welfare social housing. for example. the first make me raving right wing for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

According to who?

Donr know of many people on the established left who support unfettered immigration.

Both sides and a strawman. Unfettered immigration is right wing gaslight and nothing more. Feel free to provide evidence if you have it.

No cap on Ukrainians. Regardless of the war it's a stupid idea.

• Advertisement

How many politicians can you mention, by name, who are advocating for unfettered immigration?

Advertisement